7 Day Fruit and Vegetables only!!!

Options

Replies

• jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    In...

...to figure out how much beans and avocado I'd have to eat to reach my 5000 calorie goal for Thanksgiving.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    NO
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    OP, do you intend to include vegetable oils in your diet? I've actually done this - eating only fruits and vegetables - on occasion for periods of time. I never lacked nutrition, but then I love legumes and included olive oil for cooking. Of course, you can get lenty of fat from avocado, I just don't happen to like them well enough to eat every day.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    In...

...to figure out how much beans and avocado I'd have to eat to reach my 5000 calorie goal for Thanksgiving.

Couldn't you just search the food database?
  • chargraves
    chargraves Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Hello all,
    So I decided, I may be able to prevent a huge set back in my weight loss journey by doing this.

Good luck to you but my experience has been the opposite. The first thing that I always wanted to do after a very restricted "diet" was eat everything in sight.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    In...

He could just have people like you figure it out for him.
  • OatFloats
    Options
    There are 43 g of protein in one kilo of kale, so obviously one would have to choose wisely for the necessary nutrients. Potatoes have protein too. I am sure one could do it, if one were dedicated and wise.
    Kale and other green leafy vegetables although do have health benefits are not complete sources of protein. They are missing one or more amino acids. You can probably combine different ones and make a complete protein but you need to be sure if one vegetable is missing particular amino acids another one has it.

Thank you for reminding me. I was aware of the rice/beans combo for the complete protein, but never questioned the other plant based proteins. lol. I will have to proactively seek some information for animo acid combos now. :)
  • kyleekay10
    kyleekay10 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    In...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRN_guGa2YUDUaAFvP0XDzAcv2fxU--1uOhLuvUSFiUFOw01xytzA

To OP: I second all of the advice saying that this 7 day diet idea isn't your best bet. If you want to juice, have it as a snack during your day, but still eat actual food. Come Thanksgiving, eat in moderation and log it.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    no.

Just no.

Let's NOT facilitate the idea that ONE FRIGGING day is a "huge set back"

it's not.

it's one day.

it's when the individual day becomes the "norm" that's the issue. make it the exception to your diet and move on with your life... without being sick in the bathroom.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    In...

And what ratio of beans:avocado do I need to eat to have a well-balanced meal?
  • InForBacon
    InForBacon Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    Poop. Poop everywhere!
    fibre
  • jpolinisse
    jpolinisse Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    It's not just the single day. The problem is all the leftovers that can be eaten for days afterward.

I anticipate eating a lot on the day and continuing to eat through the weekend. Come Monday, I'll get back to regularly scheduled programming.
  • Briargrey
    Briargrey Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Lifestyle change. Not diet. Not 'zomfg must fast or do weird trick leading up to a recurring day each year.' Just. No. Fruits and vegetables are great for you. But so are lots of other things. Doing it so you are 'ready' to have a Thanksgiving with foods you hinted at were forbidden for you is just setting yourself up for failure. No food should be forbidden (unless there are medical reasons).

Moderation.

It really is that simple.

I may work out a bit more, eat a bit less, so that if I have larger portion sizes next Thursday I've built myself a bit more of a deficit, but in general, my plan is to just weigh everything, keep it within my calorie goals, and deny myself nothing.

I would suggest doing the same - because that way, you're preparing yourself for a lifelong eating style versus an unsustainable and negative way to deal with food and holidays.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure I'd die or murder someone before Thanksgiving if I tried to go a week eating only fruits and veggies.

I will be eating neither beans nor avocado on Thanksgiving - WTF kind of madness is that?! Do not F with my Thanksgiving yumminess.
  • Briargrey
    Briargrey Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    If I followed this method, btw, I'd probably be on '7-days of fruit and vegetables' for all of autumn. My twins have a birthday on Wednesday (2 cakes and eating out at a fancy restaurant), another son has a birthday on Saturday (leftover cake and probably pizza + Dr. Who marathon), then Thanksgiving, then barely time to recover and another son has his birthday and then the next day we celebrate Christmas.

Yeah. I'd rather just deny myself nothing and eat in moderation than try to 'prepare' for all these special days with severe food restrictions.
  • metaphoria
    metaphoria Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    If disordered eating has become so common place that a big feast frightens us rather than gives us pleasure as a special and rare indulgence, then there is something incredibly wrong. And it's not Thanksgiving's fault.
  • kyleekay10
    kyleekay10 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    If disordered eating has become so common place that a big feast frightens us rather than gives us pleasure as a special and rare indulgence, then there is something incredibly wrong. And it's not Thanksgiving's fault.

Boom.

/thread
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Yah no...you need protien and fats in your diet.

I know the Thanksgiving in the States is huge but why not just eat the food in moderation????

^^^If it were that easy, we wouldn't have a country that is more than 50% overweight and more than a third obese.

It actually IS that easy. It's about moderation NOT deprivation however this society is built on the bigger the better. More for less. Faster and fatter. We do not teach ourselves portion control, since we aren't teaching ourselves this, we aren't teaching our kids this. We have come to rely on companies and restaurants to tell us how much we should eat. The portions they serve though are way out of line with what people should eat.

But it really IS that simple. It really is about moderation. We just think it HAS to be harder. I've lost all my weight eating what I want and practicing moderation not deprivation.

I'm going against the grain. I'm purposely going to NOT get the biggest turkey I can find. I'm going to get two smaller ones instead. One fried one roasted.

TAKE THAT, OBESITY EPIDEMIC!!!

Can i come to your house for Thanksgiving?

I'm usually drunk by 10:00 AM so if you show up after that I probably won't notice/mind.
  • bcattoes
    Options

The ever increasing number of obese people would suggest that something is incredibly wrong.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Yah no...you need protien and fats in your diet.

I know the Thanksgiving in the States is huge but why not just eat the food in moderation????

^^^If it were that easy, we wouldn't have a country that is more than 50% overweight and more than a third obese.

It actually IS that easy. It's about moderation NOT deprivation however this society is built on the bigger the better. More for less. Faster and fatter. We do not teach ourselves portion control, since we aren't teaching ourselves this, we aren't teaching our kids this. We have come to rely on companies and restaurants to tell us how much we should eat. The portions they serve though are way out of line with what people should eat.

But it really IS that simple. It really is about moderation. We just think it HAS to be harder. I've lost all my weight eating what I want and practicing moderation not deprivation.

I'm going against the grain. I'm purposely going to NOT get the biggest turkey I can find. I'm going to get two smaller ones instead. One fried one roasted.

TAKE THAT, OBESITY EPIDEMIC!!!

Can i come to your house for Thanksgiving?

I've already reserved a seat at that table.

:drinker: :wink:
This discussion has been closed.