Work birthday - I'm a jerk for not eating pizza and cake

Options

Replies

• Runningcircuits
    Options
    I am struggling with this a little, too. I agree with Knit that "No, thank you" should be all that is needed. With the people in my family it's all about having a beer in hand at all times and we have certainly had a lot of fun over the years that way, but I am "changing who I am" by not wanting to drink and treat myself. If we all said yes to every opportunity to treat ourselves, every day would be a treat.

I guess all we can do is keep smiling and say "no thank you" over and over and over and over.....
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Just tell them you don't eat that crap because you don't want to be fat like them.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    repeat after me "I wish I werent' allergic to dairy because I tried pizza with no cheese and it was yuck". Two birds with one stone.

Then as for the cake. Just take a half slice. Then take two bites and leave the plate somewhere while no one is looking. "Hey look what's that!" while pointing out the window is a good distraction. OR sneeze on the entire cake during the song next time. "If I can't have cake...no one can!"

I think after that, your usual shenanigans will be welcomed.
  • janicebinva
    janicebinva Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I really dislike the whole food culture that happens in most offices. It makes it difficult to maintain control when there are often brownies or such in the break room, or groups expecting you to partake in their food habits. It's true that a few bites of cake won't blow my diet by themselves. But I always say something to the effect of "If I eat a little, I'll eat five or six pieces later". That usually gets people to stop offering. If they think I have problems if I can't handle a little bit of cake, that's okay with me.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    Not my birthday, my boss's.

Why can't "no thank you" be enough? Twelve people in the room want to stand and discuss why the girl who brings healthy lunch every day doesn't want pizza and ice cream. It's embarrassing.

I've clearly lost a lot of weight over the last four months. About 20 lbs. Many people have commented. Why is it so crazy that I don't want pizza?

when will google get an MFP translator? in the meantime....may i?

TL;DR?

"They're just jealous."
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    repeat after me "I wish I werent' allergic to dairy because I tried pizza with no cheese and it was yuck". Two birds with one stone.

Then as for the cake. Just take a half slice. Then take two bites and leave the plate somewhere while no one is looking. "Hey look what's that!" while pointing out the window is a good distraction. OR sneeze on the entire cake during the song next time. "If I can't have cake...no one can!"

"Accidentally" flipping over the table that has the cake and pizza on it is a time honored technique for dealing with this stuff. Similar to sneezing on the cake.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    I politely say no thank you.

Then after more why why why I have to explain (AGAIN) that I can't eat dairy. Then whoever orders stuff says they feel bad they would have ordered me some without cheese.

I say thank you, but I'm not a pizza eater much anyway. No really it's okay.

Someone blurts out that I always eat HEALTHY - and suddenly everyone wants to know why I don't TREAT MYSELF. Then suddenly I'm a jerk and think I'm better than everyone.

I treated myself all weekend thank you and crappy cheese pizza without cheese is not all that good! The lunch I brought is way better.

what's it like to be *that* person at every work function or birthday party?
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    Perhaps you're being too sensitive. It was kind of the co-worker who said he would have purchased something dairy-free for you. And, it's doubtful people saw you as a jerk for eating healthy. It might have simply been a compliment.

It wasn't a compliment. I am too sensitive but it's also because I'm a very private person. I don't like discussing dieting in front of a room full of people. What happened in the room was rude and made me feel bad and I don't know why people think that its okay to discuss other people's private business.

next they're gonna follow you into the bathroom to see if what you're producing is up to par. now THAT's private.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    People feel guilty for their poor eating habits, and the presence of someone who eats healthy makes them uncomfortable. I see this a lot, ESPECIALLY on this site. It's their problem, not yours.

one more time for the Jealous! can I get a "haterz"?
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options

"Accidentally" flipping over the table that has the cake and pizza on it is a time honored technique for dealing with this stuff. Similar to sneezing on the cake.

i see what you did there. LOL.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    I guess all we can do is keep smiling and say "no thank you" over and over and over and over.....

If I've already said "No, thank you" once or twice with a smile, and I'm still being asked or harrassed, I just start saying "No" louder and louder, and lose the smile. My sister is one who will push and push for everyone to eat more, and she's standing there with flat abs watching what you put on your plate. :noway:
  • lyzmorrison
    lyzmorrison Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I don't know. I think that pre-MFP, I would have been one of those people who asked "you sure you don't want a piece of cake?"...not to be mean or insensitive but b/c I couldn't imagine how anyone could pass up cake! Maybe you are a bit too insecure and others are a bit too pushy. I say buck up. Continue to say no and then be straight up and say "I'm saving my calories for later" or "I've been so disciplined later that I don't want to get off track now".
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Offices are weird places. If you 'eat healthy' and skip the pizza and cake, you are a health nut that never treats themselves and looks down on those that do. If you indulge, you would probably get the same type of crap, only in reverse. "Oh, I can't believe you are eating pizza and cake. I thought you ate healthy".
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I think commenting on what other people eat is incredibly rude, in general. Doesn't matter if it's "good" or "bad" food or if the person is fat or thin or somewhere in between. What other people eat and why they eat it are none of your freaking business.

My friend asked me this morning if my co-workers ever get weird about my eating habits (I'm an intermittent faster and only eat once a day). The only time they ever notice is when we have a company lunch or breakfast (usually in conjunction with someone's birthday or a staff meeting). But the way I typically handle it, if it's someone's birthday, is to stop by their office/cube at some point and wish them a happy birthday separately. That way, if I'm not around for donuts or pizza or whatever they requested, they don't think I'm being a jerk.

If it's an event out of the office, I pretty much have to be there. It's a political thing, and I'd rather make adjustments to my eating schedule than deal with the fallout of not showing up or having my lack of desire to eat lunch become a primary topic of conversation among people whose opinions of me could impact my career.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    I really dislike the whole food culture that happens in most offices. It makes it difficult to maintain control when there are often brownies or such in the break room, or groups expecting you to partake in their food habits. It's true that a few bites of cake won't blow my diet by themselves. But I always say something to the effect of "If I eat a little, I'll eat five or six pieces later". That usually gets people to stop offering. If they think I have problems if I can't handle a little bit of cake, that's okay with me.

You're right. Offices should never have food, so those hard on their luck with big families will NEVER have anything to take home to their little one's. Also so college interns may never get a free meal to supplement their meager incomes. Also so forgetful ppl who are so focused on their work and deadlines may never have any chance of grabbing a quick bite to keep them going when they are on a roll. Also so no members of groups ever get the chance to chit chat and bond over shared meals and relaxation and thus build up bonds and team morale. So many things could be cured if offices were just proclaimed a food free zone for the errant food allergic person or dieter.
  • ScottF83
    ScottF83 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Just tell them you don't eat that crap because you don't want to be fat like them.

That'll do it
  • ScottF83
    ScottF83 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I think commenting on what other people eat is incredibly rude, in general. Doesn't matter if it's "good" or "bad" food or if the person is fat or thin or somewhere in between. What other people eat and why they eat it are none of your freaking business.

My friend asked me this morning if my co-workers ever get weird about my eating habits (I'm an intermittent faster and only eat once a day). The only time they ever notice is when we have a company lunch or breakfast (usually in conjunction with someone's birthday or a staff meeting). But the way I typically handle it, if it's someone's birthday, is to stop by their office/cube at some point and wish them a happy birthday separately. That way, if I'm not around for donuts or pizza or whatever they requested, they don't think I'm being a jerk.

If it's an event out of the office, I pretty much have to be there. It's a political thing, and I'd rather make adjustments to my eating schedule than deal with the fallout of not showing up or having my lack of desire to eat lunch become a primary topic of conversation among people whose opinions of me could impact my career.

113 lbs lost? Bloody 'ell, that's good!

I work in an office also. So much temptation. I guess with around 40 people on the floor, there's a lot of birthdays!

To the OP, stay strong :) they probably have a lot of envy deep down!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    Offices are weird places. If you 'eat healthy' and skip the pizza and cake, you are a health nut that never treats themselves and looks down on those that do. If you indulge, you would probably get the same type of crap, only in reverse. "Oh, I can't believe you are eating pizza and cake. I thought you ate healthy".

I would now like to introduce everyone to this little thing invented a long time ago by cavemen. It's called conversation. It began with cavemen noticing their grunts could be changed a little to mean different things. It has evolved to include tone, insults, sarcasm, and topic enders. A few topic enders I've found that work quite nicely are "Oh, sorry I don't like to talk while I'm eating," "it's not polite to talk with y our mouth full", "sorry you don't understand my diet", and "really?" and nodding after whatever BS anyone says about anything I put in my mouth. While continuing to put it in my mouth. Just in your brain think mean stuff like johnny said while eating however heck you please. That reminds me of this second thing that got invented awhile back. Freedom.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Why can't "no thank you" be enough? Twelve people in the room want to stand and discuss why the girl who brings healthy lunch every day doesn't want pizza and ice cream. It's embarrassing.

Because for humans, food always has been, and always will be, part of the social contract.
  • RunningForeverMama
    RunningForeverMama Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I sorry that happened to you. I think it is very rude to comment on what others eat or don't eat. :grumble: