Work birthday - I'm a jerk for not eating pizza and cake

Options

Replies

• brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    THAT is what is wrong with America and part of the Obesity problem. Join in "Because"
    How DARE you eat healthy. Basically that is their problem because deep down they know YOU are right to eat better, but they are justifying their own feelings.

HIGH FIVE for sticking to your meal!!!!!!!!

Sorry it makes you feel bad though !

Really, THAT is what is wrong with America? Out of the thousands upon thousands of possible problems it faces, THAT is what is wrong? Really?

I know, you though it was the deficit, or the insurance right? WRONG! It's the jealous haterz and the food at work culture.

I've been wrong before. I guess I had no idea how bad it was out there with all the insidious food giving in office culture. Thanks for setting me straight.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    THAT is what is wrong with America and part of the Obesity problem. Join in "Because"
    How DARE you eat healthy. Basically that is their problem because deep down they know YOU are right to eat better, but they are justifying their own feelings.

HIGH FIVE for sticking to your meal!!!!!!!!

Sorry it makes you feel bad though !

Really, THAT is what is wrong with America? Out of the thousands upon thousands of possible problems it faces, THAT is what is wrong? Really?

I know, you though it was the deficit, or the insurance right? WRONG! It's the jealous haterz and the food at work culture.

I've been wrong before. I guess I had no idea how bad it was out there with all the insidious food giving in office culture. Thanks for setting me straight.

ur welcome. i know. because i used to work. it's okay. live and learn. :flowerforyou:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Since I have very little dignity, I usually say, "OH! YOU DON'T WANT ME TO EAT THAT! YOU WON'T WANT TO WALK IN *THAT* VAPOR TRAIL!"
    Haven't had a problem since.

Naw, I'm lying, but it sounded good!

:laugh:
  • lizzyclatworthy
    lizzyclatworthy Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I do so love not going to work anymore!
    People do the same about alcohol... I will either tell people I am a recovering alcoholic or I don't drink for religious reasons.
    I just don't think it's worth the calories or being too hungover to work out the next day!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I'd lie tell 'em the sauce in pizza gives you explosive diarrhea the more graphic the better.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Since I have very little dignity, I usually say, "OH! YOU DON'T WANT ME TO EAT THAT! YOU WON'T WANT TO WALK IN *THAT* VAPOR TRAIL!"

lol good thought
  • NerdyTXChick
    NerdyTXChick Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I think there's a big difference between a person who politely offers you food or inquires about your diet, and a person who says, "So I guess that makes us all pigs?" If someone says something that rude, they've taken the conversation to something other than a polite exchange between colleagues, and should be treated as such. I get the impression this has little to do with food, and more to do with an office bully.

Edited to add: we recently had a pizza party where I work. I told them I'd been overindulging too much lately and didn't want any. They replied, "Oh, okay" and I never heard another word about it.
  • seonf
    seonf Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Who cares what other people think, what matters is you are eating healthy and what matters is what YOU think of yourself. So congratulations, work place morning teas and lunches are a huge temptation. Besides, what kind of a colleague doesn’t check your dietary requirements first?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Sometimes co-workers suck. And I think it's rude only to order pizza for a party without asking if everyone is ok with it, and not even have a fruit or veggie tray or something... You didn't do anything wrong.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options

lol good thought

'cause we were thinking the same thing at the same time! HA!
  • deanronaldhayes
    Options
    On a positive note, life is pretty good if these are the problems.
    Life is too short; eat what you want and partake in the conversations you wish.

"NO, is a complete sentence" I will be using that :)
  • jules1984
    jules1984 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    OH MAN. I'm so in love with all of you right now. My particular favorites have been "accidentally" flipping the table and throwing a pizza slice against the wall and backing out with a crazed look!

No one said anything later which was good. I would have avoided the breakroom altogether but they had rounded us up to sing happy birthday (because apparently we are five).

My artichoke/tomato/pepper flatbread I brought WAS better than crappy cheeseless pizza - weird right?

I eat cake from time to time but I'm not really a sweets person. Also, icing/frosting is usually all dairy.

I got fat on bread and pasta, not cake and cookies! :love:
  • StarChanger
    StarChanger Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Didn't read the responses thus far but, if your coworkers are being THAT difficult...next time tell them you have Crohn's or Irritable Bowel Disease and fatty foods will make you have projectile diarrhea all over the shared work bathroom.

That should give them a mental picture that should shut them up for a while.....

:)
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    OH MAN. I'm so in love with all of you right now. My particular favorites have been "accidentally" flipping the table and throwing a pizza slice against the wall and backing out with a crazed look!

No one said anything later which was good. I would have avoided the breakroom altogether but they had rounded us up to sing happy birthday (because apparently we are five).

My artichoke/tomato/pepper flatbread I brought WAS better than crappy cheeseless pizza - weird right?

I eat cake from time to time but I'm not really a sweets person. Also, icing/frosting is usually all dairy.

I got fat on bread and pasta, not cake and cookies! :love:

well that was mean and rude (in bold).

brb, gotta go start a thread about mean and rude people...
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Boy, that escalated quickly

I get the impression there are a lot of unemployable people hanging out here.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you're being too sensitive. It was kind of the co-worker who said he would have purchased something dairy-free for you. And, it's doubtful people saw you as a jerk for eating healthy. It might have simply been a compliment.

It wasn't a compliment. I am too sensitive but it's also because I'm a very private person. I don't like discussing dieting in front of a room full of people. What happened in the room was rude and made me feel bad and I don't know why people think that its okay to discuss other people's private business.
    You explained yourself to them, thus taking a submissive position and saying that it's everyone's place to discuss your eating habits. So they did.
  • NerdyTXChick
    NerdyTXChick Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you're being too sensitive. It was kind of the co-worker who said he would have purchased something dairy-free for you. And, it's doubtful people saw you as a jerk for eating healthy. It might have simply been a compliment.

It wasn't a compliment. I am too sensitive but it's also because I'm a very private person. I don't like discussing dieting in front of a room full of people. What happened in the room was rude and made me feel bad and I don't know why people think that its okay to discuss other people's private business.
    You explained yourself to them, thus taking a submissive position and saying that it's everyone's place to discuss your eating habits. So they did.

Sometimes it's difficult to know how to deal with rude, manipulative people. They tend to phrase things in such a way that seems to leave you with the choice of giving them the personal info they're looking for, or coming off rude. They prey on people who don't like to be rude or be the center of attention. It's how they get their kicks. I don't know for certain that this is the type of person the OP is dealing with, but it sounds like it to me.
  • JourneyingJessica
    JourneyingJessica Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I don't get this at all. Our office has someone who only eats kosher, someone else who's vegan, and someone who's Muslim (eg no pork).

More often if the person ordering didnt get something they could eat, the person felt bad. They actually went out of their way to get them a special meal.

I wonder if they were feeling bad about not having something you can eat.
  • ScottF83
    ScottF83 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Boy, that escalated quickly

I get the impression there are a lot of unemployable people hanging out here.

Don't let on...