Work birthday - I'm a jerk for not eating pizza and cake

Options

Replies

• Broderick50
    Broderick50 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    Hey this year for my birthday I told my boss I didn't want pizza. Her response was we're getting pizza you can have some if you want. Then she told everyone we got pizza for Brock's bday excuse me no you didn't you got pizza because you wanted pizza and wanted to put it on the company tab. Sorry that so touches a nerve with me.
  • CountryGirl8542
    CountryGirl8542 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    F**k them!!!! Good job at your 20 lbs lost! Keep it up!
  • Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    *kitten* em'
  • LoggingForLife
    LoggingForLife Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I agree that it's completely rude to coment on what people may or may not eat. A simple, "may I get you something?" is good and then shut the hell up and mind your own business.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    repeat after me "I wish I werent' allergic to dairy because I tried pizza with no cheese and it was yuck". Two birds with one stone.

Then as for the cake. Just take a half slice. Then take two bites and leave the plate somewhere while no one is looking. "Hey look what's that!" while pointing out the window is a good distraction. OR sneeze on the entire cake during the song next time. "If I can't have cake...no one can!"

I think after that, your usual shenanigans will be welcomed.

"Accidentally" flipping over the table that has the cake and pizza on it is a time honored technique for dealing with this stuff. Similar to sneezing on the cake.

i see what you did there. LOL.

:wink:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Offices are weird places. If you 'eat healthy' and skip the pizza and cake, you are a health nut that never treats themselves and looks down on those that do. If you indulge, you would probably get the same type of crap, only in reverse. "Oh, I can't believe you are eating pizza and cake. I thought you ate healthy".

I would now like to introduce everyone to this little thing invented a long time ago by cavemen. It's called conversation. It began with cavemen noticing their grunts could be changed a little to mean different things. It has evolved to include tone, insults, sarcasm, and topic enders. A few topic enders I've found that work quite nicely are "Oh, sorry I don't like to talk while I'm eating," "it's not polite to talk with y our mouth full", "sorry you don't understand my diet", and "really?" and nodding after whatever BS anyone says about anything I put in my mouth. While continuing to put it in my mouth. Just in your brain think mean stuff like johnny said while eating however heck you please. That reminds me of this second thing that got invented awhile back. Freedom.

I don't see any of those ending a discussion in my office, but the fact that one can come up with what they think is a clever reply, really doesn't make it any less weird to single someone out to comment on their diet just because they've recently lost weight or usually eat healthy.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    lol haters gonna hate, they'll be wishing they ate more like you do when they have a buttload of medical bills bc of their unhealthy lifestyles. at least your insurance rates will be lower
  • april1445
    Options
    I hate being put in situations like this. Good for you for not caving!
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    What kind of cake was it?
  • KeViN_v2pt0
    KeViN_v2pt0 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Not my birthday, my boss's.

Why can't "no thank you" be enough? Twelve people in the room want to stand and discuss why the girl who brings healthy lunch every day doesn't want pizza and ice cream. It's embarrassing.

I've clearly lost a lot of weight over the last four months. About 20 lbs. Many people have commented. Why is it so crazy that I don't want pizza?

Because if you dont act like everyone else you are clearly against them. I used to have the same problem until I actually started acting like a 'Richard' they accused me of being. Right after that, they stopped asking me to eat their devil foodz!

The best part is, after their attempt to sabotage you fails soon you will see 1/2 of them starting to bring in or stock the company fridge with the same things you are eating in their attempt to become more like you (which is what they really wished in the first place).
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    lol haters gonna hate, they'll be wishing they ate more like you do when they have a buttload of medical bills bc of their unhealthy lifestyles. at least your insurance rates will be lower

REALLY.gif
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options

Well, let's be real here. They don't have unhealthy lifestyles just because they eat pizza, cake, and ice cream. Now you're doing to them exactly what they did to her. Some of them may very well be unhealthy, but I guarantee it's not because they eat pizza at work when it's someone's birthday.

I'm not saying the OP should've eaten something she didn't want just to satisfy her co-workers, but there are plenty of healthy people in the world who eat such things on a regular basis. I'm one of them.
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    THAT is what is wrong with America and part of the Obesity problem. Join in "Because"
    How DARE you eat healthy. Basically that is their problem because deep down they know YOU are right to eat better, but they are justifying their own feelings.

HIGH FIVE for sticking to your meal!!!!!!!!

Sorry it makes you feel bad though !
  • elleloch
    elleloch Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I understand. I always bring my lunch to work and pack a lot of healthy snacks. I RARELY if ever stray from those things at work, because when I treat myself I want it to be something special that I've planned - maybe a dinner out with the husband or a meal with family, or even some cookies I baked at home. If I'm going to eat pizza I want to make my own dough and create the pizza myself, not that slimy crap that comes in a box and really, work cake? Never tastes that good. Sure everyone is eating it but I'd rather eat better cake, so I just stick to the food I brought and they can have their cake. Whatever. I never let anyone make me feel bad about my food choices though. Why don't I want this food? I have my own food. And when people suggest that you can relax "just this one time," b!tch please, "just this one time" can happen multiple times a week and if you eat cake all those times, then what do you have? Yeah.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    THAT is what is wrong with America and part of the Obesity problem. Join in "Because"
    How DARE you eat healthy. Basically that is their problem because deep down they know YOU are right to eat better, but they are justifying their own feelings.

HIGH FIVE for sticking to your meal!!!!!!!!

Sorry it makes you feel bad though !

Yeah! Don't let the jealous haters get you down!

Another thing you could do is go ahead and accept a slice of pizza. And then act like you're going to take a bite and throw it as hard as you can against the wall. Then glare at everyone and say "THAT'S WHAT I THINK OF YOUR DEVIL FOOD!! BURN!! ALL OF YOU!!! BUUUUURRRRRRNNNNN!!!!!!"

And slowly back out of the room making squinty eye contact with each person.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Not my birthday, my boss's.

Why can't "no thank you" be enough? Twelve people in the room want to stand and discuss why the girl who brings healthy lunch every day doesn't want pizza and ice cream. It's embarrassing.

I've clearly lost a lot of weight over the last four months. About 20 lbs. Many people have commented. Why is it so crazy that I don't want pizza?

Because if you dont act like everyone else you are clearly against them. I used to have the same problem until I actually started acting like a 'Richard' they accused me of being. Right after that, they stopped asking me to eat their devil foodz!

The best part is, after their attempt to sabotage you fails soon you will see 1/2 of them starting to bring in or stock the company fridge with the same things you are eating in their attempt to become more like you (which is what they really wished in the first place).

I don't understand the first part of your comment. By Richard, do you mean Richard III? So you started locking their children in a tower and killing them?
  • ScottF83
    ScottF83 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Boy, that escalated quickly
  • love2read1220
    love2read1220 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Just tell them you don't eat that crap because you don't want to be fat like them.

this!
    :-)
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    They probably all talked about you after you left the room, too. They were probably discussing how you think you're better than everyone else, but it was really because they are jealous because you are the only one with any willpower.

How can you even work there now? You should quit. Not officially, though. Just stop going. That'll make them think.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    look, it's really simple OP... the next time some co-worker offers you cake, just say, "i'll eat your cake, but only if you pay me $50". they'll laugh. you'll laugh. then they'll say, "are you serious?". you say, "yes. deadly serious". they'll walk away with their cake.

pretty soon, your co-workers will start to avoid you.

then, they'll start talking about you behind your back.

next, you'll start getting blamed when things go wrong.

eventually, you'll start getting poor performance reviews with "does not get along with co-workers" highlighted for easy HR reference.

finally, you'll be terminated...

...and you'll never have to worry about those co-workers offering you food ever again.

problem solved forever.