Women, why must it be so?

Options

Replies

• latenitelucy
    latenitelucy Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    This is seriously the funniest thing I've ever read in my entire life! Who has forced a gun to your head and made you shop in the broom and dust pan isle?

Whenever I go out to the mall or any store that has toys, it's an obvious pink explosion of domestic crap. My boyfriend and I have talked about this idea for years whenever we go to those stores and see it. Maybe you aren't opening your eyes to the truth of the matter.

Sure there are some rare items that are for girls that don't include that sexist crap, but the majority of the toys ARE based on stereotypes.

There are plenty of articles about my observation. Do a Google search.

Honey, you are gonna have a stroke or an ulcer, but probably no fun.

Stereotypes are stereotypes for a reason. They do not apply to all. Nobody claimed they did.

ETA: I hope a smart woman, such as yourself doesn't see "Honey" as demeaning, but rather my southern charm. :wink:
  • determined_erin
    determined_erin Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Unlike you, I won't rush off and do something just because someone tells me to do it. It's called consumerism. Stop falling prey. Be strong.

"You can do it. "

When did I ever rush off and do something that someone told me to do?
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I know this is supposed to be a silly thread, but this is one of my least favorite stereotypes so I want to counter it. I organize a women's policy conference and am part of many workgroups, volunteer organizations, and research teams that are made up of almost entirely women. The hallmarks of all of these groups: awesome problem solving, mutual support, and teamwork. IMHO, any woman who thinks women "hate eachother" should look at what she herself is putting out into the world.

Accurate.

The problem is that society plays with everyone's heads. Tells everyone that stereotyping is okay, and that it's not important for us to listen to problems (like the stereotypes in this thread) and listen to *each other*. Society tells men that it's okay to tell women to go make them a sandwich as a "joke." It's all ridiculous.

You have a very good point if someone put up a stereotypical "joke" about race or ethnicity then it wouldn't be funny and quickly reported. I guess a gender joke is OK? I never know what is right and wrong though, but it does seem to be a different set of standards as to what is acceptable and what is not when it comes to gender.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT58MnMmb_lNFSJ25-Y9_5haXv42wD8kfAuX7zBoAMkGUw1Q8b9

Duh. I'm gonna use my double points card. You're nothing more than an expedited trip to the Bahamas... with your sister.

Sorry brah, you aren't supposed to use coupons or anything of the sort for dates. Apparently wimmin see that as cheaping out
  • determined_erin
    Options

Stereotypes are stereotypes for a reason. They do not apply to all. Nobody claimed they did.

ETA: I hope a smart woman, such as yourself doesn't see "Honey" as demeaning, but rather my southern charm. :wink:

My health is quite fine. After all, I'm on MFP bettering my health. I love educating people about sexism. Even changing one person's perspective is worth it. People always fight these ideas because they are raised sexist.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Unlike you, I won't rush off and do something just because someone tells me to do it. It's called consumerism. Stop falling prey. Be strong.

"You can do it. "

You're one of those women that thinks it's an insult if a man buys you flowers... Am I Right?
  • determined_erin
    Options
    You're one of those women that thinks it's an insult if a man buys you flowers... Am I Right?

No, my bf has gotten me flowers before.

We always pay our own way on things though. I pay for my meals, for example. We treat each other on occasion, though. :) There are never expectations placed on someone based on gender, which is how it should be in a relationship. Everyone has strong and weak points per person, not per gender.
  • wheird
    Options

My health is quite fine. After all, I'm on MFP bettering my health. I love educating people about sexism. Even changing one person's perspective is worth it. People always fight these ideas because they are raised sexist.

And you are simply out looking for something to be offended by. If it isn't sexism, you would find another cause to rally behind.
  • AZ_Gato
    AZ_Gato Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options

"You can do it. "

I think she's mad because she didn't get G.I. Joe's when she was a girl. Instead she got a pots and pans set. Should have pretended the pan was Duke and the Dish was Cobra Commander.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options

Well, obviously men go to ducks to find out about women.

I'm beginning to think you're being sarcastic with that statement. I'll be right back, I need to consult Donald, Daffy, and Howard as to the proper response to you.

:laugh:
  • determined_erin
    Options

And you are simply out looking for something to be offended by. If it isn't sexism, you would find another cause to rally behind.

Actually no. I hate politics and most causes. I really only care about feminism.
  • wheird
    Options

"You can do it. "

I think she's mad because she didn't get G.I. Joe's when she was a girl. Instead she got a pots and pans set. Should have pretended the pan was Duke and the Dish was Cobra Commander.

And used her inherent craft skills to make bead versions of both.
  • jkowula
    jkowula Posts: 447
    Options

"You can do it. "

Stop that.. she is "educating" you on sexism. And I might add, she is going about it the best possible intelligent way. Even if one person changes their perspective from attacks on most everyone here.
  • Liss_Bee
    Liss_Bee Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    G.I. JOE the real American herrrrrrrrooo! Sorry just made me laugh and you're right.. Calm down it's just a joke.
  • bugaha1
    bugaha1 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I’m lucky I get to work with my daughter who will turns 35 Wednesday and I just told her 35 yrs. ago your mom was fat. I’m a bad boy don’t friend me. =)
  • ZombieGeezUs
    Options

This. I actually pity her boyfriend. If she gets this aggressive about pretty meaningless topic such as this, then I can only imagine the hell he goes through when a serious issue arises
  • wheird
    Options

Actually no. I hate politics and most causes. I really only care about feminism.

That is what I mean. If you lived in a world without any sort of sexism, you would find another cause.
  • determined_erin
    Options
    This. I actually pity her boyfriend. If she gets this aggressive about pretty meaningless topic such as this, then I can only imagine the hell he goes through when a serious issue arises

It's not meaningless to care about being treated as an equal. My BF is a feminist as well.
  • arghbowl
    arghbowl Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options

In other words you're a liberal/hipster push over with no real agenda other than to cut off penises and destroy sandwich shops once and for all.

Oh, btw, you missed a spot when you vacuumed the other day...
  • wheird
    Options

It's not meaningless to care about being treated as an equal. My BF is a feminist as well.

Is a woman staying at home to raise her children an equal to her husband who is working to provide?
This discussion has been closed.