4500 calories on Thanksgiving? Really? I disagree.

Options

Replies

• Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Here's my FULL DAY'S intake for Thanksgiving~

2 Mugs A.M. Coffee: 115
    Vitamins: 15
    Turkey approx. 1 cup's worth: 238
    1/2 cup Turkey Stuffing: 160
    Sweet Potatoes with Maple Syrup (this is probably an OVERsetimation as I ate about 2/3 of a potatoe's worth and it was only maple instead of maple AND brown sugar, but that's what was in the list): 200
    1 cup Oven-Roasted Brussel Sprouts in Olive Oil and Home-Made Whole-Grain Bread Crumbs: 120
    1/2 oz Cranberry Sauce (didn't like it, didn't finish it): 28
    1 Slice Pumpkin Pie: 278

Total: 1154

:huh:

This sounds A. inaccurate (A cup of turkey? Is it packed or allowed to have air pockets? Shredded or sliced?) and B. like less than I eat for dinner some nights. How could possibly be stuffed? I'm hungry just looking at it.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options

Sweet Potatoes with Maple Syrup (this is probably an OVERsetimation as I ate about 2/3 of a potatoe's worth and it was only maple instead of maple AND brown sugar, but that's what was in the list): 200
    1 cup Oven-Roasted Brussel Sprouts in Olive Oil and Home-Made Whole-Grain Bread Crumbs: 120

This sounds A. inaccurate (A cup of turkey? Is it packed or allowed to have air pockets? Shredded or sliced?) and B. like less than I eat for dinner some nights. How could possibly be stuffed? I'm hungry just looking at it.
    I had 200 calories more than that just at the movies last night. And I had swapped out the popcorn for a lower calorie option. :laugh:
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options

Why was one meal your full day's intake?
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I had less than 2,000 cals for the day. Without really trying. Just woke up late ate breakfast and then went on a cleaning frenzy that the breakfast lasted till early turkey dinner and then I killed it at dinner and that lasted me till a late night snack just to get my vitamin's in and avoid tummy problems. So yeah it wasnt a lot at all.but yet i ate everything iwanted and didn't deny myself anything and really pigged out at dinner it was a buffet and I definetely partook heavily of everything. i think i ate some nuts in the middle of the day or something. just to encourage kiddo to get lunching. he did. I didn't i was still full from breakfast and all the baconzzzzzz
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options

this reminds me of the buffet. the girl carved me the tiniest slice of turkey and so i went and got some gravy and stuffing and came back and told her okay i want more, and she looked at me like you haven't even eaten it yet,....but yeah, so what i know i'm gonna need more. MOAR turkey!
  • MissBelle777
    Options
    I ate 4,000 (or more, probably more..) for Thanksgiving. It's really not that difficult. Most people use this day to be their one BIG day of indulgence for the year.
    Say, they drink a large glass of soda or tea. 300 calories.
    They eat some dressing (With gravy, of course!) Eh.. 400 calories..
    Cranberry sauce. 200 calories.
    Turkey. 100-300 calories.
    Green beans perhaps. 100 calories.
    Mashed potatoes. 200 calories.
    Pie. 500 calories.
    This is just assuming they only ate ONE serving of all of these traditional foods. Most people probably ate more than one meal today.. Multiply all of that by two, and you get 4,000 calories no problem. And it's really not that much food..
  • arcana7609
    arcana7609 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    AlyssaAutopsy - corn pudding (the recipe I use) is a baked dish that basically takes a can of creamed corn, a can of regular corn, and a box of Jiffy cornbread mix, mixed with some butter. You mix it all together, bake in the office, and voila....corn pudding! It's delicious! I am not usually a fan of canned veggies (or canned anything really) but I used the canned stuff for the sake of convenience this year.

We call this scalloped corn where i come from. We add velveta cheese to the top of it. We don''t add butter. I like mine to be more bready than pudding like.
  • staveshabr
    staveshabr Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    just to throw this out there i was one of those people who was eating atleast 3500 colaries a day because i snacked on the wrong things the highest weight i reached was 250 but ive never been under 200 pounds anyways so the pass 5 years eating close to 4000 calories most days i my weight fluantuated beteen 220 and 250 so its possible.

plus you have those people who eat mcdonalds for breakfast lunch and dinner super sized plus snacking they are well over 4000 calories a day and living so it is definately doable
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I ate 4400 yesterday.

Breakfast- 3 eggs omelette with carne asada, cheese, and veggies
    Lunch- smoked salmon on white bread (I smoked the salmon myself)
    Dinner- smoked turkey thigh, ham, roasted potatoes, peas and onions, stuffing, gravy, mac and cheese
    Snacks- chocolate covered pretzels, a couple slices of apple cake, 2 dinner rolls, a few beers.
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    I disagree as well!
    4,500 calories? Absurd.
    I totally ate more than that.
    Okay, 210 more, to be exact, but still >.>
    It's totally possible (and probably normal) to eat an excess of only 1,000 calories or so on Thanksgiving, I could have done it no problem.
    But what fun is that?
    Go hard or go home, man. Thanksgiving is once a year, that number is probably calculated for those who decide (like myself) that one day of binging on homemade food with your family won't make you fat overnight.
    Although I certainly do feel that way, I must admit. But a lot of it is sodium too, darn my lazy family and their obsession with canned and convenience foods x.x
  • emAZn
    emAZn Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I didn't eat 4,500 but I did eat 3,500 and I'm still 1,350 under my weekly net. Bring on the weekend of pizza and beer :)
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    i was under cals for the day. i ate freely. got everything that is thanksgiving to me. that's all i care about.
  • greenhudler
    Options
    I'm sure it wouldn't be too tough to eat 4500 calories at Thanksgiving. I was actually surprised at myself, I ate enough to fill me up including dessert and didn't even come close to breaking 1000 for dinner :). And it's not like I was unsatisfied, I was perfectly fine :)
  • janessafantasma
    janessafantasma Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I'm from the Midwest and we love us some casseroles and hot-dishes. There is about 275 calories in a serving of green been casserole and that is one of the main dishes we have because everyone loves it. Side dishes are usually soaked in butter and cream and the desserts are intense too. No one in my family is overweight (except for me, sadly) and with the food and beer and desserts, I would say in years past, everyone eats around 4500 calories. We snack before hand on my grandma's homemade chip dip with a main ingredient of cream cheese, buttered rolls, lefse, and cheese plates, then have dinner and dessert....which is usually followed up by everyone agreeing they ate too much and then snacking on the remaining food and drinking until we finally all depart.
  • janessafantasma
    janessafantasma Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I disagree as well!
    4,500 calories? Absurd.
    I totally ate more than that.
    Okay, 210 more, to be exact, but still >.>
    It's totally possible (and probably normal) to eat an excess of only 1,000 calories or so on Thanksgiving, I could have done it no problem.
    But what fun is that?
    Go hard or go home, man. Thanksgiving is once a year, that number is probably calculated for those who decide (like myself) that one day of binging on homemade food with your family won't make you fat overnight.
    Although I certainly do feel that way, I must admit. But a lot of it is sodium too, darn my lazy family and their obsession with canned and convenience foods x.x

I agree wholeheartedly. One day of eating food guilt free isn't going to make you fat overnight and if people want to indulge on the holidays with their family then so be it!
  • westendcurls
    westendcurls Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I just did a rough estimate on mine, it was about 3000.
  • aubyshortcake
    aubyshortcake Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    I Had Around 4,000. My Maintenance Is Closer To 1500..Lol

Sorry MY Phone Wants To Capitalize Everything >.<
  • JourneyingJessica
    JourneyingJessica Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Consuming 4500 calories on Thanksgiving does not sound like a difficult task. At all.

I agree! Especially if you eat early & go back for left overs later. The most amazing cheesecake ever (junior's in NYC) is 560 calories for a normal piece (1/6 of medium cake). I totally could eat 2 or 3 of them no prob. Bam! 1500 cals right there lol. Stuffing & potatoes made with massive butter ooh and pie .... Yup i am soooooo up to the challene!!!

*looks for my fork ~ is there fudge??*
  • ki4yxo
    ki4yxo Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I didn't eat 4,500 but I did eat 3,500 and I'm still 1,350 under my weekly net. Bring on the weekend of pizza and beer :)

:flowerforyou:

I didn't keep track...... It's a holiday to spend with friends and family!
    I don't care what I ate, just don't want to know how much sodium was
    consumed! :tongue:
  • SheridanLT
    SheridanLT Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I could do it with my eyes closed ... no problem!