4500 calories on Thanksgiving? Really? I disagree.

Options
12345679»

Replies

• Blamber21
    Blamber21 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    IDK? I had two thanksgiving meals. I kinda just ate a normal portion meal? Twice? and didnt really eat breakfast.. I dont think I hit 4000 for the day. I'm not big on sweets and casseroles though. I had a couple of glasses of wine. I really cant see how I would have fit 4500 cals into one sitting. Not without feeling very sick.
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    I wish this article http://www.caloriecontrol.org/articles-and-video/feature-articles/stuff-the-bird-not-yourself had some food examples to back up their estimate. I found another that posts foods and their calories and came up with 2486, http://projects.nytimes.com/qa/events/thanksgiving-help-line/question/8134 which is still an insane amount for a meal and the original claim of 4500 includes snacks and alcohol, but for me personally even before calorie counting I couldn't eat everything the article lists and have room for snacks. Also as the second article points out many people don't eat the types of foods listed. I won't eat turkey if it's dark meat and hate the skin (always have ever since I was little), have no use for green bean casserole, and will pass on pie unless it's pumkpin or apple (which are both have much lower calories than pecan, buttermilk, and other "holiday" pies).
    While I agree with you that many people are bypassing some of the things you mention, many probably aren't. I know that last year (when I wasn't being mindful of what I ate) I probably didn't eat that much at "the meal" but when you figured out that there was a big bowl of greasy Chex mix that I munched out of all day long...plus two carb-heavy/fat-heavy meals (gravy on the mashed taters, turkey and stuffing) along with cheesy hash brown casserole and a slice of pie or pumpkin crunch each time that was a 2 or 2.5 serving size...it's not so hard for me to believe that people are eating that much. Good for you if you're not...this year I didn't...but easily could have if I didn't watch it a bit. Some of us LOOOOOOOOOVE pecan pie and find it hard ot resist if it's right there...
  • airdiva1
    airdiva1 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I can see having that amount of calories depending on the food. My mother and cousin cooked alot of fatten foods.
    I did the following and while I did go over around 1,900 calories, I also walked 4 miles before dining
  • nytrifisoul
    nytrifisoul Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I fill up on turkey breast. No way I eat even 2500 without being so full the food wants to come up when i burp. If you want to eat a small plate of healthy fix'ns and indulge on those high calorie desserts, then yeah you can go way over 4500, and you deserve it for not being smart about it.
  • nytrifisoul
    nytrifisoul Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Good thread. I often hear 3500 calories bandied about for the average thanksgiving turkey meal- about the energy in a pound of fat.

Who determined it?

A *kitten* apparently. Turkey is the most lean protein you can eat.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I have no idea how much I ate but I am guessing I don't want to know. 2 plates of turkey, dressing, casseroles, deviled eggs, ham....and yes....4 pieces of pie! (Pecan, Pumpkin, Coconut Cream, and Chocolate Silk).
  • TheSwollMinister
    TheSwollMinister Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Consuming 4500 calories on Thanksgiving does not sound like a difficult task. At all.

This right here.

Not everyone can eat that much, but I sure as heII can!!
  • Suzmp85
    Suzmp85 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I think it varies with people. I feel I actually did pretty good. I had at least 4-5oz of lean white turkey, 1 cup of stuffing, 1/2-3/4 cups of mashed potatoes, and 1/2 cup of green bean cassarole and 2 slices of coconut cream pie..which is at least 2,000 calories if that and well worth those calorie to add. :)
  • BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I only ate three things plus dessert on thanksgiving (Turkey and gravy, stuffing, and the sweet potatoes with the sweet topping), but I still feel like 4500 calories is doable on that. I ate really HUGE portions. Plus I drank three glasses of sweet tea, which adds up. I had pie after the meal and pie later after I came home. I also had whipped cream with the pie. Sure, if you're only going to eat a regular portion of everything, 4500 would be hard. Plus a lot of people eat breakfast that morning or supper at night depending on when in the day the meal is. And some people have multiple thanksgiving dinners.