Another Mom under fire for post baby selfie.

Options

Replies

• fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options

The only issue that I have with this trend is that women are being shamed into trying to make their bodies look as if they had never had a child. That is so sad to me. I am proud of being able to do an amazing thing with my body. I do exercise and diet- but I never am ashamed of stretch-marks, or a little pouch up front, or the fact that my hips have gotten a tad wider.

Why is it so shameful to look as if you had birthed a child?

So my initial thought was 'jealous people are jealous', but..

This was the point that I was late to catch from the article. This lady looks incredible, I agree. While this mom is freaking impressive and surely worked very hard for her body, women are already doing dangerous things to look like figures in magazines... Do we need to add that pressure onto pregnant women and brand new mommies?

In my opinion, women shouldn't be shown a picture like this and told "there's not excuse for you to not look like this 4 days post-partum".

It's a double edged sword.
  • Oricalcos1
    Options
    I'm not a women, but I think I'd be more concerned about the nutrition and health of the child I was carrying than how my body looks after I popped it out... But maybe she's just that damn good at balancing her diet and exercising and maintaining the health of the unborn child. Just maybe...
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    My question for her would be whether she had a healthy pregnancy weight wise, I mean women are supposed to gain weight while they are pregnant.

Yes, women are meant to gain some weight during pregnancy, but not gobs and gobs of weight as most women do.

Most women (mainly American women) take pregnancy as a free license to eat whatever, whenever and how much they want to eat.

I gained only 11 pounds with my pregnancy and my Dr told me that was perfectly healthy, had a normal weight baby (6 lbs, 10 oz and 22 inches long).
  • wannabpiper
    wannabpiper Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    The lazy and unmotivated will always whine about the hard working and motivated.

Damn right, beachiron! Not sure if men do this, but I can't tell you how many times a lady in my office has said something rude like "You don't need to diet!" when all I'm doing is having a healthy lunch. Or how about those women who whine about their weight or high blood pressure and expect you do whine about yours?
  • Inkratlet
    Inkratlet Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    What ever voodoo she did for that body...,I want in

Exactly...i'm not jealous or angry or feel like she is personally putting me down...I just want to know how she did it??!?!? Particularly the no droopy stomach thing. That's freakin' amazing!

Partially genetics. I'll never have a body exactly like that one, kids or no kids, so no point stressing about it.

Maybe if I did I would be posing in my undies too, but I don't, so I have to get by on merit rather than looks. I find the whole thing rather egotistical. How many women would be so obsessed with showing the world how amazing they look postpartum when they have a 4 day old baby to admire, bond and be totally in love with?

Priorities...

BTW, ignorant of these things, can women with breast implants breastfeed?

I am sorry, what makes you think she doesn't get by on merit? And why do new mothers need to be attached to the newborns 24/7 to appropriately bond? Why would it matter if she could breast feed or not? What is your point about priorities?

I chose to go back to work a week after I had my daughter because staying at home, constantly bonding with a newborn, was driving me insane. Some days she come with, other days she didn't. I didn't breast feed. I could have easily wore sexy panties a few days postpartum and once my uterus contracted back into my pelvis, which took me 2-3 week, you would have never known i had a baby either.

I question of this was actually 4 days, however, if it is -- there is no reason for this women not to be proud of her body and share a photo. It doesn't mean she isn't bonding with her newborn, It doesn't mean she isn't working hard (therefore merit).

ETA: I have a perfectly well adjusted, healthy 4 year old. No way is better when it comes to being a mother, it's about being true to yourself and being happy. My only concern with this image is if it was faked because this woman felt some kind of need to be perfect as soon as she popped out a kid.

I think you've jumped to conclusions. But that's OK, I'm not going to argue with you.

:flowerforyou:
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't see why this is such a big deal. I gave birth 7 weeks ago and my stomach looked like hers at 4 days postpartum. It wasn't luck or genetics (third pregnancy - I didn't look that good with my first 2). I worked my *kitten* off to stay healthy and fit during the pregnancy. I gained an ideal amount of weight, worked out routinely, made healthy food choices, and tracked my calories. I'm proud of what I was able to accomplish, and I would find it hurtful to have people hating on me for something that I was proud of. Everyone carries pregnancy differently and recovers differently. We don't see a lot of judgment regarding women who gain too much weight and don't exercise during pregnancy; why do we need to judge people for being fit?

Wrong, because science. It takes 814 months for the uterus to contract to the size of a fist!

You obviously need to do it on merit, and you harmed your baby's spine!

:laugh:

God, people are a mess sometimes. You kicked *kitten*, you did your work, and now people will hate hard core on you if you post a picture of yourself.

Man, I just don't get it.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    The lazy and unmotivated will always whine about the hard working and motivated.

Damn right, beachiron! Not sure if men do this, but I can't tell you how many times a lady in my office has said something rude like "You don't need to diet!" when all I'm doing is having a healthy lunch. Or how about those women who whine about their weight or high blood pressure and expect you do whine about yours?

That's when I'd respond with, "You do realize that everything you eat is considered your diet?"
  • TheBackStory
    Options
    This world would be a better place if people would worry less about others and focus on themselves.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    What ever voodoo she did for that body...,I want in

Exactly...i'm not jealous or angry or feel like she is personally putting me down...I just want to know how she did it??!?!? Particularly the no droopy stomach thing. That's freakin' amazing!

Partially genetics. I'll never have a body exactly like that one, kids or no kids, so no point stressing about it.

Maybe if I did I would be posing in my undies too, but I don't, so I have to get by on merit rather than looks. I find the whole thing rather egotistical. How many women would be so obsessed with showing the world how amazing they look postpartum when they have a 4 day old baby to admire, bond and be totally in love with?

Priorities...

BTW, ignorant of these things, can women with breast implants breastfeed?

I am sorry, what makes you think she doesn't get by on merit? And why do new mothers need to be attached to the newborns 24/7 to appropriately bond? Why would it matter if she could breast feed or not? What is your point about priorities?

I chose to go back to work a week after I had my daughter because staying at home, constantly bonding with a newborn, was driving me insane. Some days she come with, other days she didn't. I didn't breast feed. I could have easily wore sexy panties a few days postpartum and once my uterus contracted back into my pelvis, which took me 2-3 week, you would have never known i had a baby either.

I question of this was actually 4 days, however, if it is -- there is no reason for this women not to be proud of her body and share a photo. It doesn't mean she isn't bonding with her newborn, It doesn't mean she isn't working hard (therefore merit).

ETA: I have a perfectly well adjusted, healthy 4 year old. No way is better when it comes to being a mother, it's about being true to yourself and being happy. My only concern with this image is if it was faked because this woman felt some kind of need to be perfect as soon as she popped out a kid.

I think you've jumped to conclusions. But that's OK, I'm not going to argue with you.

:flowerforyou:

I don't think you can argue with the fact that you questioned this woman's priorities without actually knowing them.
  • sugarkissprincess
    sugarkissprincess Posts: 2,595 Member
    Options
    All power to her if she has rocking body that close after having a baby. I feel as though she obviously was already in shape prior to pregnancy and most likely kept in shape during so it was easier to pull it off and bounce back faster.

To be honest though, it doesn't make me feel any worse about myself because I know who I am and what I need to do and I'm extremely happy with my accomplishments!
  • SuperstarDJ
    SuperstarDJ Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    10 pages of replies to this????

Who gives a *kitten*? Really?

My mother weighed less than 110lbs & wore a UK size 8 less than a week after having all of us (4 in total). She didn't exercise or diet, she was a busy woman with good genes. Where's her article?!?

Seriously, has the world really become that uninteresting that some random women get all this attention for looking a certain way?
  • VincitQuiSeVincit
    VincitQuiSeVincit Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I had to laugh when I read..
    "This is not a selfie. This is an act of war,"

Really?!

I'm impressed, maybe jealous, but to declare it WAR because she does and I didn't (and still don't) look like that after a baby?

We as a society have lost our goddamn minds! I am all for campaigns that promote *HEALTHY* body image, like Dove's campaign and others that advocate real bodies over airbrushed stick figure models--- but we've gotten to the point where we are attacking women because they're NOT stretch-marked and disfigured? Jealousy is disease and we're looking real sick!
  • _Tink_
    _Tink_ Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I'm not a women, but I think I'd be more concerned about the nutrition and health of the child I was carrying than how my body looks after I popped it out... But maybe she's just that damn good at balancing her diet and exercising and maintaining the health of the unborn child. Just maybe...

It's not unheard of. I gained 28 pounds. The baby was 7 lbs, 7 oz, 21 1/2 inches long. She scored 5's on her APGARS and is in perfect health. And I looked like this at 4 days postpartum:

20131019_092511_zpse30d49d2.jpg
  • Inkratlet
    Inkratlet Posts: 613 Member
    Options

I don't think you can argue with the fact that you questioned this woman's priorities without actually knowing them.

That's the thing with questions. You don't often know the answer before you ask them. It's perfectly OK to question something, it's what allows us to progress and continually learn from new experiences. Don't read too much into it :happy:
  • PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    I had to laugh when I read..
    "This is not a selfie. This is an act of war,"

Really?!

i giggled.

OMG SOMEONE LOOKS DIFFERENT FROM ME AND IS PROUD OF THEIR BODY! IT'S A PERSONAL ATTACK AGAINST ME AND EVERY OTHER PERSON WHO DOES NOT LOOK LIKE THIS WARMONGERING EVIL PERSON.

i mean...how insecure do you have to be?! I have low self-esteem, but damn. That's delusion worthy of institutionalization.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I am a postpartum nurse, and I have had 4 children as well. This picture does not convey someone who has an infant 4 days old. The uterus is at the level of the umbilicus right after birth and takes six weeks to shrink back down to its original size (about the size of your fist). She should also be wearing a pad as she would be bleeding from childbirth. She has a nice body, but it is not 4 days after giving birth.

Exactly, our skepticism on this is warranted. It's not our opinion on what's possible with her fitness. It's just 4 days does not fit with our general understanding of biology.

That is what I was thinking as well...it didn't seem medically possible, but I am not a doctor. Her body is fantastic and I'm sure she works very hard for it...but I think the social commentary we should be angry about isn't that she posted a photo of herself but that society thinks this is how women should think after giving birth. Remember the uproar over Princess Catherine and her post-baby belly shots when she left the hospital...people were FURIOUS that she still had a bump and apparently were unable to comprehend biology and the process of birth and recovery.

Really? I didn't see any fury over that photo, and I was frequenting celebrity sites back then. Everyone was celebrating the fact that she wasn't afraid to show her postpartum belly in its natural state.
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options

I just don't think we need to gain as much weight as many women do, including myself. I gained 50 lbs when I was pregnant, and to be honest, none of it was healthy. I ate like *kitten*. I get the feeling this woman paid way more attention to what she was eating than I did, and from a nutrition POV, I'm betting it was healthier than the food I stuffed into my mouth.

Unless you consider Dr. Pepper, doughnuts, and Wendy's to be healthy. :blushing:
  • denniskillz
    denniskillz Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    As long as her baby is healthy and she is healthy too why should it bother anyone.
  • animalrane
    Options
    the mom is hot and has a great body 4 days later....leave these women alone haters!
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Again, I'm glad I'm a man...

...so that my healthy skepticism isn't construed as jealousy.

(It's unfortunate that women don't have this same luxury.)

I actually think the discussion about her and what are and are not reasonable expectations for a "normal" pregnancy are potentially beneficial. And I don't remember that much jealousy (and certainly not "rampant jealousy") in the nine pages so far...at least not in a malicious way.

You're absolutely right.

I haven't had a child, and I still don't look like that. I fully accept that. Even with minimal body fat and toned muscles, I still wouldn't look like that - I have a totally different body shape. Genetics.

So please do call me jealous for thinking people like her don't have their priorities straight, it's water off a ducks back TBH.

People like her, with these types of genetics, just don't have their priorities in order? BECAUSE THAT MAKES SENSE.

Women, like men, should be able to be skeptical if this photo is actually 4 days postpartum because there are biological factors at play that make it unlikely, no matter her fitness level. Those people should not be labeled jealous. People making personal attacks on the woman herself (which have been few)... jealous still isn't the right word because those women probably aren't aspiring to have this body anyway. But it is still mean spirited to question if her husband pays enough attention to her or if she has the right priorities.

People who say this is genetic and likely the result of misplaced priorities (which seems to be saying she was working for this and its not all genetic)... that seems a bit questionable in the logic department. Does that mean anyone is jealous? No. It might mean people are being assumptive of the women in the picture though -- you know, that she gets by on her looks or isn't bonding with her baby.

Nobody should be expected to look like this or any other way after they've given birth. If you do look this way, it doesn't mean you are a list of negative attributes, just like if you don't look like this you are a list of negative attributes.