Another Mom under fire for post baby selfie.

Options

Replies

• BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Meh, I don't understand being that upset about some one's picture. How does her picture really effect me? It only makes me feel inadequate if I let it.
  • Derf_Smeggle
    Derf_Smeggle Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Did this woman at any point declare, or go on a diatribe, that women who don't look like this shortly after giving birth are somehow deficient, defective, and/or disgusting?

If so, then maybe there is a news story. Otherwise, Jesus wept and Buddha on blow, what the F@#$ are people on her case about?

"This is an act of war"?!?! I vote the asinine fool who made that statement in the article be dropped into an active war zone, so their perspective can be adjusted by removing their proverbial head out of the rather narrow tunnel it appears to be shoved up.

Oh boo-hoo. I don't look like Mathew McConaughey because I'm a somewhat average Joe who ate poorly. It's a war on me because he had a bajillion photos taken when his shirt was off... Can someone get me some cheese to go with my whine?

This stuff seriously disrupts my calm.
  • icame2win60
    Options
    Meh, I don't understand being that upset about some one's picture. How does her picture really effect me? It only makes me feel inadequate if I let it.

Totally agree.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    She only gained 24 lbs by following a very strict diet

And this. Our bodies need to be free to do what they do during pregnancy. The sad thing is, they found during WWII that a starving woman will produce a healthy baby. It's only when they are in their 30s that the heart problems start.
  • redladywitch
    redladywitch Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    People are annoying. Why can't we be impressed and admiring without the hatred and jealousy?

I have to agree. It's just not necessary.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Wow, 4 days post-baby?! If that's real, that's crazy. She looks great for anyone, kids or no kids!

I understand that some women, who might feel self conscious about their size/shape after birth, may see this and feel disheartened or jealous, especially as the media loves to focus on women/celebrities and how long it takes them to "snap back" into shape.

However, the woman in question has done absolutely nothing wrong.; She's not saying "look at all you lazy mums, if you put in some effort this is how you'd look!" or anything similar, meant to criticise average women. If she did I'd understand, because even for the most healthy/fit mums, how many actually look like that so soon after birth? She just posted a picture though for crying out loud! I'm pleased for her!
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Some have hinted at it, but I don't think anyone has actually said it...

...so I will.

I'm predicting this is a fake. Oh, sure, it's a real pic, but I don't think this was 4 days postpartum.

There...I said it.

Seems physically impossible, just knowing how the body works and all. I wouldn't doubt that she could be 6 months postpartum (but 4 days).

And, yeah, my ab muscles hadn't pulled back together that soon.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I can tell she doesnt have a 4 day olf becausr of a few small clues!

1. She is awake
    2. She isnt holding the baby
    3. She has makeup on
    4. She has her hair done
    5. Her boobs arent falling out of her bra
    6. She doesnt have black rings under her eyes
    7. She looks as if she has showered recently
    8. She has no puke or poop on her
    9. Did i mention shes awake
    10. She is obviously not wearing one if those giant diaper like pads you have to wear after birth!

You couldnt fool me!

As for the body...kudos, looks great!

Every now and then someone posts something reminding me why I invest in the kind of birth control that lasts for years, then immediately follow it up with more birth control that lasts for years, and continue to pester my doctor about tubal ligation. The exception that one must be tired and unkempt, or else they 'don't have a newborn'/are some manner of freak of nature is pretty gross.

Dare I say as gross as this supposed trend towards not looking as if one has given birth? :indifferent:

She probably is fairly unusual, an outlier or, pejoratively, a freak. I don't have any stats or studies, just my personal experience and what I'm going to perilously assume is fairly common... most women don't feel up to much more than just taking care of the baby the first week.

When you're bleeding like your worst TOM ever for the first week after, when you're getting up every couple of hours to change and feed, when your breasts hurt so badly that you cry out if you jar them at all, when just the act of going to the bathroom is both painful (don't even get me started on that first post birth poo) and time consuming, it shouldn't be too much of a stretch to think that most women might not have the additional energy to wear makeup or look overly cheery for a few days.

Now going through that doesn't make us martyr's or anything but a few days of less than top notch grooming should be allowed and even expected.

Analogy time!
    Do people get all dressed up and gussied up when they have the flu? Or do they wear PJs, do very little with their hair and just do what they need to recover. Some people do, most don't. Personally, I'd rather deal with flu symptoms than the first week after birth anytime. One doesn't have a screaming newborn associated with it.

I can only speak from my own observations, as centered on my mother, but I can't recall any unkempt moments. With the most recent sibling, who is now five to my 26, my mother was back at work in a week. When she had the twins, who are now 13, she was home for 3 weeks, but was as properly dressed as she always was.

My mother is no genetic freak, or anything like that, she's just really type A. While that may not be how the majority of people are, I don't think it's so strange that women who are that way are extreme cases, or should have it subtly implied that their priorities are out of line. Which you didn't do, I'm just speaking of the reactions she's gotten in general.

Your mom's a tougher bird than I. :drinker:

I guess i don't know what the norm is. Personal experience can be a big skewer of perception as it seems mine might be. :flowerforyou:
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

And this. Our bodies need to be free to do what they do during pregnancy. The sad thing is, they found during WWII that a starving woman will produce a healthy baby. It's only when they are in their 30s that the heart problems start.

Totally agree with you. I happen to know that my friend cared more about what her body was going to look like after she had the baby, than that she give birth to a healthy baby. I never said anything to her about it, but it did make me sad at the time.

I also met a model who chose to give birth via a planned C section so she wouldn't have to get 'too big' and chose not to breast feed so her breasts could stay perky. She told me all of this in the waiting room of the obstetrician's office. She was rail thin and hanging onto a plump one month old baby. At first I was judgmental, but then I realized that she was protecting her career. Maybe it was her only source of income.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of the boob job, but she looks good. Her belly skin does have a slight hang to it, but there's nothing wrong with that. I don't see what the big deal is....
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

...so I will.

I'm predicting this is a fake. Oh, sure, it's a real pic, but I don't think this was 4 days postpartum.

There...I said it.

Well, she's go the poochie belly. I have a friend who had her first when she was in her late 20's. She was tiny to begin with (watched what she ate, swam and ran). She only gained 24 lbs by following a very strict diet and swimming a mile every day. She was very proud to be able to wear her skinny jeans home from the hospital.

I dunno, I suspect this woman went to a lot of trouble to look like this. Obviously it was important to her, hence the selfies in lingerie. *shrug* She looks great! When I was pregnant, I had complications and went into labor 1 month early. Then they had to induce with pitoncin which causes ugly water retention. :noway: I looked like a train wreck when I got home. LOL Plus, I had always been skinny, so I enjoyed eating a lot while I was pregnant. We all have our priorities! :drinker:

Going home in skinny jeans? Yeah, that's totally believable...but this much skin? Oh, sure, it may be legit...it's just that I seriously doubt it...which means if it's true, then that's even more kudos for her, because she has done what seems unbelievable to me.

ETA: Fortunately, I'm a guy making these comments. If I was a woman saying these things, I'd be lit up for daring to question the legitimacy of her pic...and would obviously be because I'm jealous. :drinker:
  • likitisplit
    Options

1. She is awake
    3. She has makeup on
    4. She has her hair done
    10. She is obviously not wearing one if those giant diaper like pads you have to wear after birth!

You couldnt fool me!

Every now and then someone posts something reminding me why I invest in the kind of birth control that lasts for years, then immediately follow it up with more birth control that lasts for years, and continue to pester my doctor about tubal ligation. The exception that one must be tired and unkempt, or else they 'don't have a newborn'/are some manner of freak of nature is pretty gross.

Dare I say as gross as this supposed trend towards not looking as if one has given birth? :indifferent:

She probably is fairly unusual, an outlier or, pejoratively, a freak. I don't have any stats or studies, just my personal experience and what I'm going to perilously assume is fairly common... most women don't feel up to much more than just taking care of the baby the first week.

When you're bleeding like your worst TOM ever for the first week after, when you're getting up every couple of hours to change and feed, when your breasts hurt so badly that you cry out if you jar them at all, when just the act of going to the bathroom is both painful (don't even get me started on that first post birth poo) and time consuming, it shouldn't be too much of a stretch to think that most women might not have the additional energy to wear makeup or look overly cheery for a few days.

Now going through that doesn't make us martyr's or anything but a few days of less than top notch grooming should be allowed and even expected.

Analogy time!
    Do people get all dressed up and gussied up when they have the flu? Or do they wear PJs, do very little with their hair and just do what they need to recover. Some people do, most don't. Personally, I'd rather deal with flu symptoms than the first week after birth anytime. One doesn't have a screaming newborn associated with it.

I can only speak from my own observations, as centered on my mother, but I can't recall any unkempt moments. With the most recent sibling, who is now five to my 26, my mother was back at work in a week. When she had the twins, who are now 13, she was home for 3 weeks, but was as properly dressed as she always was.

My mother is no genetic freak, or anything like that, she's just really type A. While that may not be how the majority of people are, I don't think it's so strange that women who are that way are extreme cases, or should have it subtly implied that their priorities are out of line. Which you didn't do, I'm just speaking of the reactions she's gotten in general.

I guess i don't know what the norm is. Personal experience can be a big skewer of perception as it seems mine might be. :flowerforyou:

Horses and oxen get a couple months off.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

1. She is awake
    3. She has makeup on
    4. She has her hair done

You couldnt fool me!

Analogy time!

Well, full disclosure, my mom thinks raising kids is 'men's work' (This is not a joke or an exaggeration but rather a direct quote) and so going back to being flawless and resuming work asap and leaving my stepdad to tend to the children was just her 'way'.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Hey, if it's a real photo GREAT for her.

The only reason I would question it is because it takes some time for a woman's uterus to contract back and for the belly to shrink back. Think that photo of Kate Middleton right after giving birth, cradling her post baby bump. Can that actually happen in 4 days?

It look mine about 3 weeks to look normal. I gave birth after only gaining 13-16 pounds and never needing to buy maternity clothes (I was a healthy weight pre-pregnancy, I came home weighing less than I ever have in my adult life). My doctor told me I was one of the only women she'd seen for their postpartum that had that type of recovery and she's been practicing for 30 years.

So I feel like this women's results are just ultra unusual but not totally impossible (I wasn't sleep deprived or constantly with my daughter the first week to whomever said it). I think she should be proud. I just hope they are faked and perpetuating a rather unrealistic standard for women to strive for.
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    She didn't even attack anyone wtf?

How DARE you look good and be proud of your body, think of the example you set for everyone who isn't. You have a responsibility to them, you know.
  • likitisplit
    Options

Totally agree with you. I happen to know that my friend cared more about what her body was going to look like after she had the baby, than that she give birth to a healthy baby. I never said anything to her about it, but it did make me sad at the time.

I also met a model who chose to give birth via a planned C section so she wouldn't have to get 'too big' and chose not to breast feed so her breasts could stay perky. She told me all of this in the waiting room of the obstetrician's office. She was rail thin and hanging onto a plump one month old baby. At first I was judgmental, but then I realized that she was protecting her career. Maybe it was her only source of income.

That's fine. It's her body, her baby and her choices. But a strict diet during pregnancy / planned preterm delivery isn't healthy for the mom or the baby and shouldn't be promoted as an ideal for maternity.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    "This is an act of war." I love that. Melodramatic people are a huge source of amusement for me. :laugh:
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

...so I will.

There...I said it.

Seems physically impossible, just knowing how the body works and all. I wouldn't doubt that she could be 6 months postpartum (but 4 days).

This was my thinking.

And like I said, if it's legit, all the kudos to her...

...and she still looks good, however long since she had a baby.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

That's fine. It's her body, her baby and her choices. But a strict diet during pregnancy / planned preterm delivery isn't healthy for the mom or the baby and shouldn't be promoted as an ideal for maternity.

Did she say anything about what her diet or exercise routine were?
  • AlyssasDiet
    Options
    I'm not jealous or impressed...why do you have to be either?