"No woman should ever lift more than 3lbs"

Options
"...because it won't get you the body you want and it results in injury". That's what Tracy Anderson just said on Piers Morgan Live...I swear...how can she be so successful in her business and trusted by so many people? :huh:

Replies

• CharityGC
    CharityGC Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I lift more than that at work. I wonder what's going to happen to me.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I am heading for the ER....:sad: :sad: :sad: :sick: :sick: :sick:
  • just4nessa
    just4nessa Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Um... yeah...this is not the body i want at all. :laugh:
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    Ditto I lift up to 50 lbs at work. I work in a daycare, birth-5. Some of the kids I pick up to change their diaper/pullups are not light by any means.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    My purse weighs more than that.
  • rgugs13
    rgugs13 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    So obviously I'm not supposed to pick up my 42 pound nephew... I know a place she can put that 3 pound weight...
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Thank goodness. I hate picking up grocery bags and vacuum cleaners.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I wish her and Gwyneth both would just disappear. Anderson also is known for her baby food diet. Ugh.
  • BaconWagon
    BaconWagon Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    mHM3DMk.gif
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    OMG I don't want this body???

I guess I've been doing it wrong :grumble:

*punches the wall*
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Evidently, this is not the first time Anderson has said this--I found references going back several years. Evidently she uses body weight routines and elastic bands. So, there is a certain amount of self-marketing hyperbole to that statement, which provides a slightly different context.

But that is not the end of the story. I also uncovered this little gem:
    In addition to these intense routines, Tracy helps her clients lose inches by cranking up the heat to 80 degrees. "She likes it hot in the room so you sweat, because she says if the room is hot, you're also burning calories to maintain homeostasis," Gwyneth says. "She's always coming up with new ways to kick up the calorie burning."

That's doubling down on teh stoopid.
  • Cheri_Moves
    Cheri_Moves Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Ok ladies...
    Put down your babies, they are going to cause injuries.
    Put down those toddlers, they will hurt you.
    Drop your purse... gonna throw out your back.
    No more shopping, those bags are dangerous.
    Laundry baskets? PUT IT DOWN NOW!
    cleaning house has just become HAZARDOUS TO YOUR HEALTH.
    Get those men. We need them at our back and call. How else are we going to get through life?????? please help us, we are helpless!

*GAG. SHIVER* I will keep lifting, THANKYOUVERYMUCH. (And ladies, unless the above seems legit and plausible for your life, I suggest you keep lifting too.)
  • Jagreene62
    Jagreene62 Posts: 4,782 Member
    Options
    (And ladies, unless the above seems legit and plausible for your life, I suggest you keep lifting too.)

Yes, and I want to know, "Does he have a brother??" :bigsmile:
  • somnomania
    somnomania Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    She must have multiple people in her life that lift everything ever for her. I own books that weigh more than 3lbs. :laugh: And yeah, anyone with cats or babies or, you know, a life, routinely carries more than that. What a crock.
  • ThriceBlessed
    ThriceBlessed Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    So mothers the world over need to stop lifting up / carrying their babies!!!

I wonder what she would do if she saw me lifting... I mean I don't lift super heavy, but have been known to lift 20 pounds in each arm!
  • rgugs13
    rgugs13 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    http://thedailybanter.com/2013/09/tracy-anderson-and-the-myth-behind-celebrity-trainers-and-diets/

Notice the part where it mentions Gwyneth Paltrow got diagnosed with low levels of vitamin D and pre-osteoperosis, something Doctors who reviewed the diet Tracy Anderson recommends predicted!

I also found this gem of a quote. It hurts to read it, but I almost can't stop looking up new stupid quotes!

"I really wish that women would stop spinning. I say that with such conviction because almost every day in my office, I see women crying and unhappy because they can't fit into their jeans, because of the thigh bulking. There are some women who don’t have the genetic capability to build muscle, and they can do something like that without being affected. That’s a very small percentage of the female population, though. Ninety-eight percent of women will bulk completely. The problem with it is that it doesn’t show right away. You may lose a little bit of weight at first because it’s an easy calorie burn, but it’s not worth what happens to your muscles."
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Quick, Mrs Homo erectus, put down that toddler you're carrying *right away*! Don't carry that heavy animal carcass home!! I don't care if you and your kids have nothing else to eat...... you won't get a nice looking body and you might hurt yourself..... if that happens the male Homo erectuses won't want to have sex with you, and if you hurt yourself you'll die and if those things happen you'll never manage to evolve into Homo sapiens and WE'LL ALL DIE!!!! no wait.... we wont even die.... we'll NEVER EXIST AT ALL!!!!

Mrs Australopithecus afarensis, that's right Lucy dear, you too. And Mrs Ardipithecus ramidus. You must all be weak and feeble or you'll never evolve into us. You just have to *sit around and look pretty* all day long. Forget trying to survive and protecting your kids from predators and finding enough food to eat. Just *sit around and look pretty* and don't lift anything heavier than 3lb. Even though you have absolutely *no concept* of what 3lb means at all. You know, our species, Homo sapiens is kind of relying on you surviving through the pliocene and pleistocene sufficiently well to evolve into us.

how the fricking hell did we manage to evolve if it's dangerous for women to lift more than 3lb??????
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    There's a reason why she says it..........................................the majority of Hollywood females are sticks and 3lbs may be all they can lift. She caters to them and gets paid for telling them what they want to hear.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    http://thedailybanter.com/2013/09/tracy-anderson-and-the-myth-behind-celebrity-trainers-and-diets/

Notice the part where it mentions Gwyneth Paltrow got diagnosed with low levels of vitamin D and pre-osteoperosis, something Doctors who reviewed the diet Tracy Anderson recommends predicted!

I also found this gem of a quote. It hurts to read it, but I almost can't stop looking up new stupid quotes!

"I really wish that women would stop spinning. I say that with such conviction because almost every day in my office, I see women crying and unhappy because they can't fit into their jeans, because of the thigh bulking. There are some women who don’t have the genetic capability to build muscle, and they can do something like that without being affected. That’s a very small percentage of the female population, though. Ninety-eight percent of women will bulk completely. The problem with it is that it doesn’t show right away. You may lose a little bit of weight at first because it’s an easy calorie burn, but it’s not worth what happens to your muscles."

:noway: that's bad!!!!!! someone please slap that woman with a 3lb dumbbell..... FFS. Crying because you can't fit into your jeans is a) not something that people who work in offices do on a regular basis. Maybe she has a freakily over-sensitive colleague who cries every day because she can't fit into her jeans but it's not exactly typical. and b) due to BODY FAT not muscle.

I'm genetically gifted in the quads department, as in I have naturally big quads that I've bulked up with exercise. And guess what......... *I fit into the same size jeans as I did before I did any bulking* (i.e. the result of eating at a surplus and gaining 10lb while doing dumbbell squats and deadlifts) AND *I fit into much smaller jeans than I did when I was obese* (i.e. the result of eating at a deficit while lifting)

Honestly. That woman needs to be slapped about the head with a 3lb fish. (I'm too nice to actually hit anyone with a 3lb dumbbell so the fish will have to do).

ETA: that's sad about Gwyneth Paltrow getting diagnosed with pre-osteoporosis. I wish more people would see the connection between these things.
  • iheartbiology
    iheartbiology Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    There's a reason why she says it..........................................the majority of Hollywood females are sticks and 3lbs may be all they can lift. She caters to them and gets paid for telling them what they want to hear.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Good point. When you're encouraged to be borderline-anorexic. You really should only be lifting 3 lbs. Anything more and you might fracture a pre-osteoporetic (sp?), bone!