"No woman should ever lift more than 3lbs"

Options

Replies

• tonitass
    tonitass Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Who is Tracy Anderson and why should I listen to her? I listen to my trainer because he is an expert and I have way more respect for him.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    ETA...i don't go to a gym. I lift at home.
    Me too.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I don't have a problem with women who can outlift me (some I would be attracted to) but you'd better believe that a woman who outlifts me won't find me attractive. If I find a woman with more muscle definition than I have attractive, and I make a move on her, I guarantee she'll pass on me. Women complain about the most trifling of things about men. So check yourself with the condescending words towards me and take a good look in the mirror before you put your fingers to your keyboard.

There are women that are too bulky out there. It happens. Is it a challenge to bulk? Yes. But it happens and mostly every guy I know doesn't like that. I like a fit & feminine body type.

that's not an issue of her being too bulky. I probablay can out lift you- and I"m not too bulky.

Armature lifter at my gym- probably CAN"T out lift you- and she's bulky. Because bulky in mainstream society is as much an appearance as it is a size issue. But that being said yeah- women who are really into physic, fitness, figure and full blown body building (because there IS a difference) are not going to get on with someone who doesn't care what they eats- and is only moderately 'into' working out.

People who are that dedicated don't mesh well with people who are wishy washy.

That being said- I pull body weight and higher on ALL three big lifts and I date someone who doesn't' go to the gym. He actually barely works out. I hate it. But I still love him.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

Sara's deadlifting 325 lbs here.

4qffo_zps66a72ba3.gif

THAT is heavy lifting. I never see that go down in my gym. I'd love to see more of it.

Here is another video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWepnDYs1Q0&feature=share&list=PL79FCEBC17E189038

I just never see this type of effort (even though her form is questionable)

I don't think your experience is atypical.... most women don't lift heavy (but the women on this thread are not most women we're the exceptions :drinker: there are lots of women who lift on this forum) and so many women buy into the kind of crap that the OP quoted, so yeah what you typically see in the gym are women on the cardio machines and doing about a million reps with tiny little weights.... that's why comments like the OP quoted annoy me so much.... it just scares women away from weight lifting when they might actually find they enjoy it and it benefits them greatly.... but they won't know if they don't try and BS like this scares people away from even trying....
  • Marcia315
    Marcia315 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Now i am freaking out! My 18 month old daughter picked up by 4 lb dumbells this morning :sad:

I'm with you. My 6 year old daughter loves to use my 5 pound dumbells.

Do you think I should take her to the ER and have her checked out?
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    Now i am freaking out! My 18 month old daughter picked up by 4 lb dumbells this morning :sad:

Now that I think about it, maybe I should have my 15 yr old looked at. She's benching the 45 lb bar.
  • ToneItUpHill
    Options
    She is talking about for her specific method to achieve a small, lean frame, she doesn't want women lifting more than 3 lbs while doing her exercises. If you watch, listen and learn then you would understand that. There isn't much to argue if you know what is being talked about.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    She is talking about for her specific method to achieve a small, lean frame, she doesn't want women lifting more than 3 lbs while doing her exercises. If you watch, listen and learn then you would understand that. There isn't much to argue if you know what is being talked about.

are you for real?
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    3 pounds is awful light. So I don't agree there. Some degree of strength is beneficial.

At the same time, too much bulk isn't a good thing from my perspective. Men usually do not find bulky women attractive.

Moderate weight training would make sense to me.

As a guy though, I always strive to lift heavier, but there are weights that I can't lift and I'm not afraid to admit it.

Sounds like someone just doesn't want to meet a woman that can lift more than he does and make him look like a weakling...

As a guy, you should know damn well how hard it is to actually bulk, even for you, and women don't have near the testosterone levels to support the same kind of bulking. The bodybuilders (the ones who are actually going for bulk above all else) put an insane amount of time and effort (and possibly some chemical help) into getting the results they get.

That said, my husband has actually complains that I'm losing my butt from my weight lifting, because the muscle hasn't yet built to compensate for the fat loss, and that area seems to be the first place the fat is lost from. He'd be thrilled if I bulked there more.

And, as others have said, I don't give a crap what you or anyone else finds attractive.

I don't have a problem with women who can outlift me (some I would be attracted to) but you'd better believe that a woman who outlifts me won't find me attractive. If I find a woman with more muscle definition than I have attractive, and I make a move on her, I guarantee she'll pass on me. Women complain about the most trifling of things about men. So check yourself with the condescending words towards me and take a good look in the mirror before you put your fingers to your keyboard.

There are women that are too bulky out there. It happens. Is it a challenge to bulk? Yes. But it happens and mostly every guy I know doesn't like that. I like a fit & feminine body type.

So...still a confidence thing. Still has nothing to do with whether she's "bulky," though. Someone who has goals that conflict or don't mesh with yours isn't likely to find you attractive (still possible, just less likely), regardless of what those goals are, and if a woman can outlift you, then she's pretty much guaranteed to have different fitness goals than you, due to innate differences like physical size and base strength between men and women (women are generally smaller than men, so outlifting men in raw numbers takes a higher strength to weight ratio, and the difference in testosterone production means different levels of raw strength numbers for a given amount of training experience).

Powerlifting does not equal body building. For a woman to get "bulky" in the sense that humanity's sexual dimorphism starts getting vague (such as the first image here - http://infinitelabs.com/blogs/1/but-you-dont-look-like-a-bodybuilder/ ), it takes a very, very specific goal in mind, and powerlifting simply isn't that goal. Nor is garnering the attraction of men. And again, man or woman, you can't get "bulky" by accident.

As for being condescending toward you, perhaps you should look in the mirror, yourself, before saying things like "women should only lift 'moderately'" and otherwise implying that lifting heavy will make women bulky and that men won't find that attractive. Women, especially those that lift, don't do so for your approval, so when people say things like that, it's extraordinarily condescending toward all of us.
  • Marcia315
    Marcia315 Posts: 460 Member
    Options

Now that I think about it, maybe I should have my 15 yr old looked at. She's benching the 45 lb bar.

Tell her boys won't want her.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    Options

Tell her boys won't want her.

Well, in that case, I'm gonna tell her to keep lifting! Then I won't have to worry about her. :wink:
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    Options

are you for real?

Also, same question. So she doesn't expect you to progress with her program? Staying the same = progress for the Tracy Anderson Method? I won't bother with that one, then.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options

Wow, strong first post there Tracy...

...and I have "watched, listened, and learned" and I know better than to believe that B.S.
  • DSTMT
    DSTMT Posts: 417 Member
    Options

The issue is not that her comments are for a target audience that we don't belong to; the issue is that regardless of who it is intended for, it is piss-poor advice. This is not going to help anyone achieve a stronger healthier body; as mentioned in the article posted earlier:
    "
    Gwyneth Paltrow, the most ardent follower of the Tracy Anderson method was recently diagnosed with shockingly low vitamin D levels, and osteopenia, a precursor to the bone thinning osteoporosis. Not exactly a shining endorsement of the Anderson method."
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    My purse weighs more than that.

I know, right?????
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

The issue is not that her comments are for a target audience that we don't belong to; the issue is that regardless of who it is intended for, it is piss-poor advice. This is not going to help anyone achieve a stronger healthier body; as mentioned in the article posted earlier:
    "
    Gwyneth Paltrow, the most ardent follower of the Tracy Anderson method was recently diagnosed with shockingly low vitamin D levels, and osteopenia, a precursor to the bone thinning osteoporosis. Not exactly a shining endorsement of the Anderson method."

Translation: if you want to end up weak and sick, follow Tracy's method.
  • lseed87
    lseed87 Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    This thread should be fun to read. bump
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options

This is Marketing 101 (or maybe 200).

I think from a marketing standpoint, she's done a good job. Do you know how hard it is to get Oprah or Piers Morgan to give you publicity as a business owner? It's not easy at all.

Also, getting celebrity clients takes a lot of effort.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

I think from a marketing standpoint, she's done a good job. Do you know how hard it is to get Oprah or Piers Morgan to give you publicity as a business owner? It's not easy at all.

Yeah, but now that those celebrities are starting to show the effects of Tracy's bad info...I wonder how much longer she'll really last.
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options

Yeah, but now that those celebrities are starting to show the effects of Tracy's bad info...I wonder how much longer she'll really last.

I couldn't agree more. If you get mass media publicity and celebrity clients, it can lift a business to stratospheric heights. However, if Tracy's system is perceived by her elite clientele as not beneficial, she can fall out of fashion very fast. It's a double edged sword for sure.