"No woman should ever lift more than 3lbs"

Options

Replies

• MstngSammy
    MstngSammy Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    "At the same time, too much bulk isn't a good thing from my perspective. Men usually do not find bulky women attractive. "

I think she may be a time traveler from the 1950's. What kind of trainer puts 'what men/women find most attractive' as their primary goal? Even worse, her ideas about attaining that goal are bull****.

This was actually a quote from one of the men in the thread....believe it or not.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    The single most physically attractive woman I've ever seen in my life could bench her bodyweight plus, and squat more than double it.

That says all I feel needs to be said on her opinions regarding what men want.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I cannot wait to tell my non-celebrity trainer tomorrow that I can't possibly lift more than 3 pound weights. I'm sure he'll get right on board with that.
  • MM_1982
    MM_1982 Posts: 374
    Options
    More importantly, there's so many more variables that go into getting "bulky". Genetics and diet play a MUCH larger role in putting on muscle mass than doing low rep, high weight training.

I'm not even going to mention the important role that testosterone and your nervous system play...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    this is good advice...ladies, you don't want to get all bulky now do you?????
  • MM_1982
    MM_1982 Posts: 374
    Options
    I will say that Tracy Anderson is a heavenly blessed beauty. But her awesomeness has a lot more to do with diet, genetics, and the overall care of herself than it does lifting.

tracy-anderson-gives-diet-and-exercise-tips-166x300.jpg
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    OMG, my handbag weighs more than that. LOL!
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    OMG I don't want this body???

I guess I've been doing it wrong :grumble:

*punches the wall*

I want that body. HAAAAAAAAAAAAY
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    Ok ladies...
    Put down your babies, they are going to cause injuries.
    Put down those toddlers, they will hurt you.
    Drop your purse... gonna throw out your back.
    No more shopping, those bags are dangerous.
    Laundry baskets? PUT IT DOWN NOW!
    cleaning house has just become HAZARDOUS TO YOUR HEALTH.
    Get those men. We need them at our back and call. How else are we going to get through life?????? please help us, we are helpless!

*GAG. SHIVER* I will keep lifting, THANKYOUVERYMUCH. (And ladies, unless the above seems legit and plausible for your life, I suggest you keep lifting too.)

Done! My life just got much easier. :laugh:
  • Manda_1986
    Manda_1986 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    ...no wonder I'm so ripped. All that carrying my handbag to and from my car is bulking me up! I best stretch/warm up next time so I don't do an injury.
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    Tracy Andersons an idiot. A newborn baby is more than 3lb. A lot of peoples handbags are more than 3lb.
    I saw an interview she did with Oprah where she was training Gwyneth Paltrow, she admitted that the arm that she carries her 20lb(ish) child in is a lot more toned that the other one so she has to do and extra 50(ish it was a while ago) reps with the 3lb weight on the other arm :| And you still don't see how lifting higher weights works better? Either of you?!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options

"
    Gwyneth Paltrow, the most ardent follower of the Tracy Anderson method was recently diagnosed with shockingly low vitamin D levels, and osteopenia, a precursor to the bone thinning osteoporosis. Not exactly a shining endorsement of the Anderson method."

Man I called that long ago...nothing on that girl to build bone mass.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I think she's not referring to the kind of 'lifting' you do with purses and babies but like shoulder presses and side lat raises, for reps. I mean, she's an attention ho, but she's not THAT stupid. I'm assuming.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I think she's not referring to the kind of 'lifting' you do with purses and babies but like shoulder presses and side lat raises, for reps. I mean, she's an attention ho, but she's not THAT stupid. I'm assuming.

That's got to be what she means, because otherwise, she's a total fool. I've done both kinds of training. For me, in terms of appearance, I get similar results if I do "x" number of sets of 5 reps of heavy or 25 reps of light. I don't like to spend forever at the gym, so I choose fewer reps at a higher weight. As a bonus, lifting the heavier weights builds strength and feels awesome. I'm a lean, little feminine thing, and I haven't hurt myself or turned into a beast in the years that I've been lifting heavy! :laugh:
  • MstngSammy
    MstngSammy Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    This topic and the comments makes me LOL. I've spent years and years in the gym and I rarely see any woman lifting heavy. On a daily basis, I see women go 3 set of 10 on dumbbell press or tricep extensions, but that isn't heavy.

I'd love to see a real woman deadlift a good amount of weight (for her body weight) for 1 heavy rep. I want to see sweat, groaning, screaming, and an agonizing look of pain on her face after doing heavy deadlifts or overhead press for numerous sets. That's lifting heavy.

In my many years of going to chain gyms (24 Hour Fitness, YouFit, Anytime Fitness), I've probably seen that once or twice. I think I need to find a new gym.

Sara's deadlifting 325 lbs here.

4qffo_zps66a72ba3.gif

I love the little happy dance she does at the end lol

ETA....and she is defo NOT bulky
  • MisterDerpington
    MisterDerpington Posts: 604 Member
    Options

I think she is that stupid if she thinks using more than 3lb on an overhead press will injure a woman. Women aren't frail little things that have to do frail little workouts.
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    She is talking about for her specific method to achieve a small, lean frame, she doesn't want women lifting more than 3 lbs while doing her exercises. If you watch, listen and learn then you would understand that. There isn't much to argue if you know what is being talked about.

The issue is not that her comments are for a target audience that we don't belong to; the issue is that regardless of who it is intended for, it is piss-poor advice. This is not going to help anyone achieve a stronger healthier body; as mentioned in the article posted earlier:
    "
    Gwyneth Paltrow, the most ardent follower of the Tracy Anderson method was recently diagnosed with shockingly low vitamin D levels, and osteopenia, a precursor to the bone thinning osteoporosis. Not exactly a shining endorsement of the Anderson method."

Don't blame Tracy for Gwyneth's problems; her mother, also an actress, has osteoporosis and this a disease with a high genetic influence. If one of your parents has it or had it, your chances of being affected by it are greater.

Don't assume that everybody that lifts HEAVY, will never get osteopenia or osteoporosis, and don't assume that people that don’t lift HEAVY will automatically be affected by it. Race (actually African Americans are at a lower risk), smoking, low vitamin D, use of steroids, pre and post menopause, etc, are also risks factor.

I don’t' agree at all with Tracy' statement, at least not as reported in the OP, but this self-centered-holy- than-thou LIFT HEAVY attitude is getting out of hand.

Stop demonizing people than doesn't do your same workouts or lift HEAVY as you do; and stop body shaming Hollywood people by calling them anorexic. I thought that body shaming was not allowed in MFP, I guess that I was wrong; it is allowed when it is convenient to some of you.

We are shaming the workout, not the body.

One way to prevent/delay osteoporosis is exercising.

http://www.webmd.com/osteoporosis/tc/osteoporosis-prevention

"Get regular exercise. Weight-bearing exercises, such as walking, jogging, stair climbing, dancing, or weight lifting, keep bones healthy by working the muscles and bones against gravity."

My mother was a runner for a long time (until arthritic toes made it too difficult). Her bone scans show that her lower body bone density is great, but her upper body is not so hot. Now she lifts weights specifically to help the upper body bone density.

You don't have to do nothing and and blame it on genetics. Sometime I wonder if it really is genetics or just poor habits learned from our ancestors.
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    "...because it won't get you the body you want and it results in injury". That's what Tracy Anderson just said on Piers Morgan Live...I swear...how can she be so successful in her business and trusted by so many people? :huh:

LOL! Today I lugged 40-pound bags of salt and 60 pound bags of quikcrete at work. And then I'll hit the gym in the morning. My only excess bulk is the remaining fat in my belly area.

Other people's children.
  • MisterDerpington
    MisterDerpington Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I will say that Tracy Anderson is a heavenly blessed beauty. But her awesomeness has a lot more to do with diet, genetics, and the overall care of herself than it does lifting.

tracy-anderson-gives-diet-and-exercise-tips-166x300.jpg

And I can show just as many good looking women that lift real weights. Being a "fitness entrepreneur" (according to Wikipedia) doesn't mean much.