Replies

• afat12
    afat12 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    She's pretty but yeah... what the heck she's no wonder woman
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    I dont really think its the ripped part but more the healthy voluptuous part that everyone is getting at. This girl has NO BOOBS!!!! The Amazonians are supposed to represent the virility or the feminine race so that they are able to lure men in. Most men want curves and boobs! This girl dont have them!

Actually, Amazons represented the strength of women rather than virility. Some versions of the myth state that they would cut off a breast in order to better shoot arrows.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    I dont really think its the ripped part but more the healthy voluptuous part that everyone is getting at. This girl has NO BOOBS!!!! The Amazonians are supposed to represent the virility or the feminine race so that they are able to lure men in. Most men want curves and boobs! This girl dont have them!
    This is rude.

She may very well gain weight for the role...and you have no idea what most men want...might be nice to leave that out of the discussion.

besides being rude it's out of place when talking about wonder woman. i mean seriously to this person who mentions that gal wouldnt make a good wonder woman because her body type may or may not be what most men want : have you ever read a wonder woman comic or seen the old TV shows? :huh:
  • LePetitCochon
    Options
    What about what women want?

I can haz boobs?
  • angel7472
    angel7472 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    No it wasnt rude. If you read anything about amazons they lure men in with their beauty so that they can continue their race without men. If you look at any DC comic the most prominent part of the costume is the chest and waist that is most emphasized. Im going by what the DC comics draws their characters to be. When Linda Carter was WW notice what is also prominent on her costume. You can think what you want but its common knowledge that this is how WW is always portrayed. If you look at the photos that were posted on the first page its evident that she lacks the basic physical asset that is prominent in all WW portrayals.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Gina. It better be Gina I swear to poop.

gina-carano.gif

Should have been Gina. I love Gina.....

I agree
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    No it wasnt rude. If you read anything about amazons they lure men in with their beauty so that they can continue their race without men. If you look at any DC comic the most prominent part of the costume is the chest and waist that is most emphasized. Im going by what the DC comics draws their characters to be. When Linda Carter was WW notice what is also prominent on her costume. You can think what you want but its common knowledge that this is how WW is always portrayed. If you look at the photos that were posted on the first page its evident that she lacks the basic physical asset that is prominent in all WW portrayals.

No, once a year they would mate with a neighboring town and all of the male children were either killed, sent back to their father or left to the wilderness. You are confusing the Amazonians with the Sirens.

Wonder Woman was a comic written as thinly veiled BDSM fantasy with a dominant woman. Notice her weapon of choice was a lasso that would force the person tied up in it to do what ever she told them.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    And if the actress gains some weight for the role, WHERE do you think some of it MAY go? hmmm.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    sigh..wonder woman and pulsar (my avatar) were my 2 heroes growing up.

i think they're having such a hard time casting for WW because that ideal is no longer something that hollywood values. linda carter was believable she was tall, statuesque, feminine and she looked like she could put a hurting on a mofo.

Anyway, i'll withhold all judgments until i hear whether or not she goes on an extensive bulking and training routine. my issue isnt necessarily that she's thin it's just that she doesnt look particularly strong.

Lynda Carter and Gal are both 5'9....

Also, Lynda doesn't look particularly "ripped" in this picture:

220px-Wonder_Woman_bracelets.jpg
    it's not about looking ripped.

linda carter looks solid. gal gardot at the moment doesn't. but like i said that's not gal's fault necessarily considering the way hollywood going. solid looking actresses like linda carter and raquel welch who did well in the 70's are few and far between these days when the ideal is for them to be thinner and quite often those roles are as bimbos (ie christina hendricks)
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    I do like me some Gina.
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    Way too skinny to be Wonder Woman, imho. Wonder Woman is an *kitten*-kicking Amazon.

wonder-woman-por-adam-hughes.jpg
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    For the people worried about her being too skinny, she could do something akin to this:

DownloadedFile-11_zps3916df76.jpeg

He went from cut to HOOOGE after getting the part for Thor. No reason a woman can't put on some muscle as well with intense training.
  • ObstacleRacer
    Options
    Wonder Woman was a comic written as thinly veiled BDSM fantasy with a dominant woman. Notice her weapon of choice was a lasso that would force the person tied up in it to do what ever she told them.

Why I've always said that anyone who considers Wonder Woman to be a feminist icon doesn't know much about Wonder Woman. Her entire origin was created by a guy who really just had a bondage fetish.

And not to nitpick, but the lasso only made them tell the truth, not obey her commands.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    For the people worried about her being too skinny, she could do something akin to this:

DownloadedFile-11_zps3916df76.jpeg

He went from cut to HOOOGE after getting the part for Thor. No reason a woman can't put on some muscle as well with intense training.

it's also not like they have an anti-doping agency to report to either in hollywood...just saying...
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I don't think Wonder Woman has to look muscle-ish and she-hulky. Linda Carter played a good WW! I just think that WW should look like she could take on a chihuahua and win. WW is supposed to able to go toe-to-toe with Superman. She's just not physically believable. My 5 year old would totally kick her *kitten*.
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    No it wasnt rude. If you read anything about amazons they lure men in with their beauty so that they can continue their race without men.

Um...do you even ancient history?
    Among Classical Greeks, amazon was given a popular etymology as from a-mazos "without breast", connected with an etiological tradition that Amazons had their right breast cut off or burnt out, so they would be able to throw their javelins; there is no indication of such a practice in works of art, in which the Amazons are always represented with both breasts, although the left is frequently covered
  • _crafty_
    _crafty_ Posts: 1,682 Member
    Options
    her boobs look damn fine to me.

you people underestimate the abilities of a GOOD corset.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRrtxSKL9siF-_LCjYKZBUNzy-kRO5GAHQTRkgCaAqKf6ZF_tBWZw

600full-gal-gadot.jpg
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

No, once a year they would mate with a neighboring town and all of the male children were either killed, sent back to their father or left to the wilderness. You are confusing the Amazonians with the Sirens.

concure- I feel there is confusion about Amazonian women and sirens.

I've never thought about Amazonians being sexy in and of themselves- their sexy was their confidence and strength- but they were warriors.

Ultimate Amazonian woman? Grace Jones in James bond. When I think Amazon- I think her.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I'm disappointed but, to be fair, I wasn't going to see the movie anyway (I don't watch DC movies, because DC is awful). Casting that makes me frowny faced doesn't matter, it's not like I can not see the movie harder or something.

I don't think she has the right look or a frame that would support the proper look, but I take my Wonder Woman more seriously than most people so my opinion is that of an annoyed nerd, who's always known Wonder Woman was going to be done poorly, than anything else.
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options

Why I've always said that anyone who considers Wonder Woman to be a feminist icon doesn't know much about Wonder Woman. Her entire origin was created by a guy who really just had a bondage fetish.

And not to nitpick, but the lasso only made them tell the truth, not obey her commands.

Have you ever looked at the original covers? They're really hilariously transparent. It's amazing how often Wonder Woman managed to get tied up in her own rope. :P

Still, how the character began and how she's represented now are vastly different.