Santa!?!?! I hate the lie!

Options

Replies

• homerjspartan
    homerjspartan Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I am starting to think that everyone has different beliefs and ideas for parenting. This is not acceptable. Everyone needs to believe one thing and one way of doing that thing. If we can't come to an agreement, all we are going to get is more fighting.

Someone mock up a plan, we can submit it to MFP management, and they can post under a new forum -

Rules for Parenting - No exceptions allowed
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    Sometimes being a good parent means lying to them.

My kids still believe. I love that Christmas is magical to them. Believing in santa doesn't mean you don’t teach them the meaning of Christmas though.
    I will never agree with that!

You are in for a tough road ahead then.

Nope, not so tough. My kids are nearly grown, and have told us that they love the fact that they can know that we will always be honest with them. I feel sorry for kids whose parents lie to them for their own convenience. Screw that.

Our teens have an open and honest relationship. Since we have always been honest with them, they are free now to be honest with us, even on tough issues like sex/drugs. Being a liar is no good for long term relationships.
    you can do what you want, but please stop insulting others who do things differently.

I have the same exact relationship with my kids, regardless of Santa. I find it so strange that you would equate that one tradition with how anyone's kids turn out.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I believed in Santa for years. Never EVER felt "betrayed" by my parents. People really need to lighten up a little on all this serious parenting stuff.

My only problem with the Santa story is that as a teacher, children never understand why "Santa" is so good to some children and so skimpy with others - especially if these children felt like they had been good all year. While I can explain a lot about Santa, that one is really difficult to justify.

Agreed! It's one more reason to let Santa remain a "fun story" rather than pretending he is a real person. If he were real, he was an a$$hat to Rudolph, and he is cruel to poor kids.
  • CCSMB
    CCSMB Posts: 19
    Options
    Yes.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Tell him the truth. My mom did, and I learned to appreciate Christmas for the family time and spirit of generosity. I'm going to do the same for mine.

So true! My kids understand and appreciate Christmas, whereas the ones that get told the Santa lie, end up believing that Christmas is all about presents.
    Is that so?

That has been my observations over the years. My kids are now observing the same with their classmates in high school.

Gimme, gimme, mine, mine...

Yes, because that has everything to do with Santa (in high school, no less) than bad parenting and a media environment that focuses solely on material things.

Damn that Santa!
  • jkowula
    jkowula Posts: 447
    Options
    I am starting to think that everyone has different beliefs and ideas for parenting. This is not acceptable. Everyone needs to believe one thing and one way of doing that thing. If we can't come to an agreement, all we are going to get is more fighting.

Someone mock up a plan, we can submit it to MFP management, and they can post under a new forum -

Rules for Parenting - No exceptions allowed

Very good post! Guilty as charged....
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Tell him the truth. My mom did, and I learned to appreciate Christmas for the family time and spirit of generosity. I'm going to do the same for mine.

So true! My kids understand and appreciate Christmas, whereas the ones that get told the Santa lie, end up believing that Christmas is all about presents.
    Is that so?

That has been my observations over the years. My kids are now observing the same with their classmates in high school.

I'm thinking that's probably a greater reflection on parenting and not whether or not they believed in Santa as children.
  • waltcote
    waltcote Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Someones happy bus has a flat tire!! :sad:
  • _KitKat_
    _KitKat_ Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    We did Santa with our 2 girls, when we told my oldest the truth, her first reaction was "Yuck, I sat on some strange guys lap" after that my views changed some lol.
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    santa-satan.jpg
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    What is this, www.newmoms.com?

Raise your kids however you want, they are still going to end up in the fast food business.
    Chit chat section if you don't like it get out. Shrug*

Didn't realize that justifies asinine topics. Proceed.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options

Is that so?

LOL Just as one day of eating at Thanksgiving did not make anyone on MFP fat, one day of gift giving by Santa did not make any child self-centered and greedy. It is more in the day to day parenting that is done in homes to produce such children.
  • FindingMyPerfection
    Options

I've told them the variety of reasons people celebrate at Christmas (Hanukkah)

Some years, Chanukah isn't even clsoe to Christmas.

Anyway, it isn't about ruining a holiday for your kids. It's about limiting their imaginations.
    Gonna need to see studies on this, or are you touting opinion as fact?

Do you not allow him to watch other Make- Believe shows?, Cartoons, Fictional Movies? They figure it out by themselves. Allowing then to use their imagination is an important skill. How do you think we got the car, wheel, plane, or pretty much any other modern tech? Someone had to imagine it first in order to make it a reality!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    He has an active imagination and I believe it is not something that is hinged on me perpetuating a lie. Tell me how did inventions come about before tv taught us how to be creative? Sarcasm font*
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options

This is a horrible thing to say. and not true.

It's horrible to equate Christmas with giving presents. It's also horrible to lie to your loved ones because it's "entertaining" or whatever.

I wonder if it's horrible to judge people for innocuous parenting choices and happy family traditions?
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I don't know, I have very fond memories of Christmas when I was a kid. My parents went all out to make it seem like there was really a Santa Clause. They also made sure to make a point what the meaning of Saint Nicholas was as well. My family isn't overly religious, but they believe in the meaning of Saint Nicholas around Christmas time (giving to others, especially people who are less fortunate.) Eventually I figured out that Santa Clause isn't real and of course I was upset. However, those are some of my favorite memories from when I was a child and I plan on doing the same thing my parents did when my husband and I have children of our own.

Plus, now when I see kids' faces light up when they see Santa Clause it reminds me of that feeling I used to get. I mean we lose that innocence so easily and quickly anymore, so why not just let your kid enjoy it? The world is a hard place and they're going to face plenty of disappointment in his/her life. Why not just let him/her enjoy these moments and when he/she figures it out, then they'll figure it out, no big deal.

THIS! Some of my earliest memories are from Christmas. When I was three, my two teenage uncles took a red saran wrap covered flashlight outside and ran in the yard with it. My mom and grandparents told me Rudolph was in the yard and I freaked out! That was 23 years ago and I have it on video. It's PRICELESS.

I also remember all the little things my parents did as a kid that just blew me a way and I cannot even describe the excitement I felt on Christmas morning by seeing the muddy boot prints and leaves on the carpet from the fireplace to the tree. I could never take that away from my child.

Yeah, he's not real, but why take that away from a small child. There are so many horrible things in this world that our kids will have to experience, I think it's important to let them have that time of innocence and joy.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

My kids still believe. I love that Christmas is magical to them. Believing in santa doesn't mean you don’t teach them the meaning of Christmas though.
    I will never agree with that!

You are in for a tough road ahead then.

Nope, not so tough. My kids are nearly grown, and have told us that they love the fact that they can know that we will always be honest with them. I feel sorry for kids whose parents lie to them for their own convenience. Screw that.

Our teens have an open and honest relationship. Since we have always been honest with them, they are free now to be honest with us, even on tough issues like sex/drugs. Being a liar is no good for long term relationships.
    you can do what you want, but please stop insulting others who do things differently.

I have the same exact relationship with my kids, regardless of Santa. I find it so strange that you would equate that one tradition with how anyone's kids turn out.

It's not just about Santa, but about a pattern of telling lies.

You can be honest with your kids outside of the Santa myth, especially if your kids are still little. But if you continue to try to lie to them when they know better, and/or you lie about other things outside of Christmas, then you will struggle with them when they become teens.
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    Tell your kids what you want. Everyone is different. I fail to understand what is so hard about this concept.

Hell, my parents lied to me about Santa and some other things and withheld information about other random crap that my nosey *kitten* probably didn't need to know at a young age. Does that mean I think they're liars? Of course not. They are 100% honest about everything because my sister and I are adults now.

IMO kids don't need to know everything. I certainly did not. When they are old enough to understand adult situations, be honest.

Just take it on a case by case basis. Christmas is hard because there is a completely different meaning that may or may not be more important to those who celebrate it.

Teach your kids what you think is important. :flowerforyou:
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options

Is that so?

LOL Just as one day of eating at Thanksgiving did not make anyone on MFP fat, one day of gift giving by Santa did not make any child self-centered and greedy. It is more in the day to day parenting that is done in homes to produce such children.

Stop it. That makes too much sense.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options

Is that so?

this is sad. I am going to stop trying to convince you that this is a ridiculous assumption to make. I am sure the gimme kids have other factors in their raising ALL YEAR that influence their behavior.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Another crock!

Love = honesty

Disagree! There are adult things that children should NOT be exposed to. I believe lying is at times necessary to protect them.

Protecting little ones is NOT the same as telling them lies. Don't be absurd.