Fast Food Workers Striking?!?!?

Options

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I just did the math and at a full 40 hours a week at $7.50/hour if you're a single person and need a 1 bedroom apartment, you can live off that no problem.

Yeah. Not so much.
  • AmykinsCatfood
    AmykinsCatfood Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Bring it on!
    I will quit my salaried job and go to work for one of the fast food franchises. No more 60+ hours per week for 40 hour pay and lower stress level.
    Back in my day, these were jobs were never intended to support a family.
    Just wondering, will skilled jobs wages increase to compensate?

Guessing you haven't worked in the food service industry in the last 20 years, unless you are in decent shape it is a lot of physical and emotional stress for what they get paid. Dealing with one boss is a lot nicer than dealing with a couple of 100 ungrateful people. Try smiling or being nice to a food service worker they almost can't handle it at time because it is becoming out of the norm for them.

It's called customer service. It's not just the fast food industry that has to deal with customer service...

No but the difference is at a larger office type company, you're dealing with people who are probably a lot nicer than the guy who just got off a 12hr shift and hasn't had his coffee yet and is ready to bite the head off of anyone who comes in his way. Multiply that by a 1000 and you'll start getting really fricking tired of people. I'm guessing you've never worked in retail or the food service industry. I'm guessing you're also one of those people who has a problem with every restaurant you go to.
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    I just did the math and at a full 40 hours a week at $7.50/hour if you're a single person and need a 1 bedroom apartment, you can live off that no problem.
    Not sure where you live but a one bedroom apartment here is anywhere between 1000-1800 dollars a month (admittedly I live in one of those areas with a ridiculously high cost of living). If you're making ~15,000 a year (this if you worked 40 hours every week of the year, which is highly improbable if you work fast food, more likely to get 25-35) you're hardly covering rent alone.
  • ajaxe432
    ajaxe432 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Working fast food should be a stepping stone to getting a better job... not a career position. :bigsmile:
    Agree, and I say this about welfare also!
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    are you mentally incapacitated op or just a troll? these people are bettering themselves because if you know anything, you know that fast food workers are grossly underpaid with no benefits and horrifying working conditions.

In a first world country

You keep saying that... you do realize 5 dollars an hour they would live well in a third world country but they don't live there. Standards of living are not established for the whole world just for your country.

That's the first time I've said that...and that is my point, "horrifying" is subjective by country.
  • ObstacleRacer
    Options
    Here's a bizarre idea coming from a silly girl: reward results, not effort.

*mind blown*

:flowerforyou:

Wait wait wait...that is too simple of a concept. It must be wrong.

Read my comment above. If you want to pay them based on results McDonalds is going to owe them a HUGE raise.

These employees are the backbone of their operation and the entire reason they function. They are essential. Without them not $1 gets made. Given the choice between losing the CEO of the company and losing the front line workers the board would choose to get rid of the CEO every time.

They're people working hard and asking to be paid a reasonable wage. They aren't looking for a handout. They're trying to get off public assistance. They are your neighbors and they serve you on a regular basis.

Maybe some of you should stop looking down on them as a cheap way of feeling better about yourselves.
  • tzig00
    tzig00 Posts: 875 Member
    Options

Yeah, assuming you can get a full time job. Companies want part-time employees because they're expendable and they don't have to give them benefits. And surviving vs. thriving is a very big difference. Would YOU be happy living off of $7.50/hr?

I'm not happy living off my pay because I'm surviving, but I do it. I'm not going to go on strike because I'm not happy with it. What did I do? I got a second job to make ends meet. If I'm still that unhappy I can look for another job. I can go to a factory and eventually earn up to $23/hour but I love what I do so I stay.
  • Smeltzer2
    Smeltzer2 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Amen to yoyr reply. Well said.
  • NinjadURbacon
    NinjadURbacon Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Time to tick someone off.

Irritates me a little they are striking. Fast food has always been known as a minimum wage job. That is why it use to always be high school students working it when in school. It is not meant to be a career job. All these people complaining about not making enough AT A FAST FOOD place should be happy they even have a job because there are tons of unemployed people who would take their job OR they should try to get a better job and better themselves rather then working a brainless job and going nowhere but complaining.

On the news today i saw a lady who said she needed more money because she was a single mom working at McDonalds. While I respect single parents and their struggles to support their kids. But she needed more money because she was a single mom and pregnant with #2. Seriously if you are already having money problems......USE PROTECTION why be dumb and have a second kid if you are not making ends meet financially. Reminds of the movie Idiocracy.
  • Smeltzer2
    Smeltzer2 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Bet the person who started the thread would not work that hard for a low wage.
  • tzig00
    tzig00 Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    Not sure where you live but a one bedroom apartment here is anywhere between 1000-1800 dollars a month (admittedly I live in one of those areas with a ridiculously high cost of living). If you're making ~15,000 a year you're hardly covering rent alone.

I got a very nice apartment for $425/month all utilities but electric and phone were included. My electric bill was never higher than $20/month and my phone was a cell phone for $30/month. It wasn't large by any means but it was me and my son. No cable, no internet.
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised no one has brought up how when people are paid better they tend to work harder and there is low turnover, which cuts down on training costs for businesses. If you pay people minimum wage, they will give you minimum effort.

But then again, I am taking a labor econ course this semester, so, maybe that isn't common knowledge.

We already established Experimental economics was Hokus Pokus, now we are adding Labor Economics. Actually, let' just prevent this issue the rest of the thread. So beside these two, you are not allowed to use Normative economics, positive economics, public economics, or any form of Game Theory in this thread to help prove your point. Only perfect condition supply and demand, the work force is fully informed and is fluid and can move across the country to a new job with no cost , also has zero life issues (medical, kids, disabilities).

Now that we got that figured out, please proceed.

It wasn't established. You said it with nothing to back up your assertion. Then you posted a gif.

If you want to claim that you've proven something, prove it. With more than just gifs.

Oh I forgot, you actually think peer reviewed studies are useless. You just want everyone to believe what you say because you say it.

Garbage.

images.jpg
  • AmykinsCatfood
    AmykinsCatfood Posts: 599 Member
    Options

Yeah, assuming you can get a full time job. Companies want part-time employees because they're expendable and they don't have to give them benefits. And surviving vs. thriving is a very big difference. Would YOU be happy living off of $7.50/hr?

I'm not happy living off my pay because I'm surviving, but I do it. I'm not going to go on strike because I'm not happy with it. What did I do? I got a second job to make ends meet. If I'm still that unhappy I can look for another job. I can go to a factory and eventually earn up to $23/hour but I love what I do so I stay.

I don't know where you live, but in my area, there are no jobs. I looked for 4 months before I found someone actually hiring. Good for you for finding more than one, but for many even one is hard to find.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Irritates me a little they are striking. Fast food has always been known as a minimum wage job. That is why it use to always be high school students working it when in school. It is not meant to be a career job. All these people complaining about not making enough AT A FAST FOOD place should be happy they even have a job because there are tons of unemployed people who would take their job OR they should try to get a better job and better themselves rather then working a brainless job and going nowhere but complaining.

On the news today i saw a lady who said she needed more money because she was a single mom working at McDonalds. While I respect single parents and their struggles to support their kids. But she needed more money because she was a single mom and pregnant with #2. Seriously if you are already having money problems......USE PROTECTION why be dumb and have a second kid if you are not making ends meet financially. Reminds of the movie Idiocracy.

Oh boy. I love when the "don't have kids if you're poor" argument comes up.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options

if you can get 40...lets not forget there is a huge push for PT hours now. I dont know my math says it's pretty tight financially so you make $1200/mos before taxes. Lets say 20% for taxes, SSI, and medicare how does $960 take home sound? I live in rural California and I think you could find a place for about $600-700/month more if you lived in southern probably closer to $800-900. Are we driving to work or taking public transportation? Food $150...that would be terribly slim here because of the area I live a gallon of milk cost $5. Utilities we are all off propane and that is now $4/gal a small place let's assume $100/month to heat. Electricity easily $100. So without a car I'm getting a grand total of $10 left to spend.
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Not sure where you live but a one bedroom apartment here is anywhere between 1000-1800 dollars a month (admittedly I live in one of those areas with a ridiculously high cost of living). If you're making ~15,000 a year you're hardly covering rent alone.

I got a very nice apartment for $425/month all utilities but electric and phone were included. My electric bill was never higher than $20/month and my phone was a cell phone for $30/month. It wasn't large by any means but it was me and my son. No cable, no internet.
    Yeah guess we just live in different areas then!
  • ajaxe432
    ajaxe432 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    So the gov't should just let people starve? No way jose.
    The govt should not let them starve, i agree with. The government giving more stupid entiltlements to a greedy (im entitled to this) upcoming, thats were the line should be drawn.
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options

Where is this math? so we can agree with you on it!
  • NinjadURbacon
    NinjadURbacon Posts: 395 Member
    Options

no its the don't live beyond your own means. If you are struggling to buy clothes for your son and buying clothes for work. Seriously needed to think if adding another kid into that situation is the right thing to do.

I have no problem with the financially strapped having kids as long as they are able to provide a good home for a kid but the fact that you are having problems and complaining about it on national TV using it as the reason to try to get a raise.
  • dcarr67
    dcarr67 Posts: 1,403
    Options

While you may not like it, it is true. Our welfare problem wouldn't be near as bad if people weren't rewarded for bad behavior. Wht should we, as tax payers, have to support someones poor choices???? They have the choice not to have sex, or at the very least use protection!!