Please explain low carbs and it's magical proprieties

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Most cultures skipped breakfast. And the hypothesis is that if you let you and your brain function in the fasting state that your hunger urges will change to where over time you will lose weight down to a normal level. Remember, hunger is not your body telling you it NEEDS food, it is the stomach telling you that it is empty. It is your maladapted brain that tells you to respond by immediately eating, or getting anxious when the stomach is empty.

:sad: 'Cause I have a maladaptive brain!
    <---Seriously Stevo, the abs of a person who eats breakfast. Let's write a book and make TONS of money!

my whole life is maladapted

One central lesson is that the human body is in a constant state of change. All the time, the constituents of the body's tissue is being broken down and re-synthesized- but the time frame differs.

For fat, a complete turnover of all your fat happens over the course of a month or so.

So you can't look at yourself and shrug and say "Well, I've had this fat all my life and it's never going to go away."

The correct statement is "This is all new fat that my body has made over the past month."

The same goes for neural networks- the basis for how we think and act. They will change depending on what stimuli they are exposed to. They are in a constant state of renewal and reformation.

If you keep on doing the same stuff, they will get reinforced.

If you change what you do, the neural networks will change, depending on the stimuli.

That is how we learn and adapt.

Bottom line is that while you may be maladaptive in whatever sense you want it to be, you can change by changing behavior. Just like you lose weight by changing your eating patterns and behavior.

Nobody has to accept who they are.

The human body is marvelous like that.

I was being sarcastic...
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options

All my posts are responding to people who have erroneous ideas on weight loss and how metabolism and the body works.

Steve, if you want to respond to someone who has erroneous ideas on how the body works, STOP POSTING erroneous "information"!
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options

All my posts are responding to people who have erroneous ideas on weight loss and how metabolism and the body works.

Steve, if you want to respond to someone who has erroneous ideas on how the body works, STOP POSTING erroneous "information"!

bazinga.gif
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Most cultures skipped breakfast. And the hypothesis is that if you let you and your brain function in the fasting state that your hunger urges will change to where over time you will lose weight down to a normal level. Remember, hunger is not your body telling you it NEEDS food, it is the stomach telling you that it is empty. It is your maladapted brain that tells you to respond by immediately eating, or getting anxious when the stomach is empty.

lolwut?
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I know those that eat paleo diets can get by in very little. I admire them for their will power
    and ability to create menus that work with so little carb!

Paleo is not necessarily low carb.

Yeah, lots of my paleo friends praise the sweet potato constantly. I keep telling them it's better with marshmallows, but they don't listen. :grumble:
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Yanicka :flowerforyou:

The magic behind low carb is that you cut 1/3 of your macros and therefore naturally your calories go down which results in weight loss. It's just that, nothing less nothing more.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

LOL.

Ever hear of Guyton's Textbook of Medical Physiology?

It's all in there.

But let's elevate things.

Bring up something I have misfired on and let's have an intelligent discussion.

The honest folks who are dealing with weight issues who read these threads deserve it.

People have brought up subjects you have misfired on. Some you ignore. Others you resort to personal attacks in order to avoid a discussion.

You don't know what you are talking about when it comes to science, the scientific method, or what constitutes meaningful data.
  • DamePiglet
    Options
    For fat, a complete turnover of all your fat happens over the course of a month or so.

As I (and Mr_Knight, among others) have said, this statement is SO UNTRUE!
    The following is but one peer-reviewed article supporting my statement:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18454136

And there are plenty of others.

But it wouldn't matter.
    Nothing that I say, nothing that Sarah says, nothing that ANYONE says will deter you because it seems that you wear blinders.

You will continue to prattle on with your conspiracy theories and "faux-science" no matter how many "Science Guys" and gals try to correct and educate you.

I think it's sad, really.
  • QuietBloom
    Options
    OK Steve, thanks to Dame Piglet, here is one subject you misfired on. According to this peer reviewed published study, adipocite turnover is as follows:

" Approximately 10% of fat cells are renewed annually at all adult ages and levels of body mass index. "

Discuss please.
  • DamePiglet
    Options

LOL.

Ever hear of Guyton's Textbook of Medical Physiology?

It's all in there.

But let's elevate things.

Bring up something I have misfired on and let's have an intelligent discussion.

The honest folks who are dealing with weight issues who read these threads deserve it.

People have brought up subjects you have misfired on. Some you ignore. Others you resort to personal attacks in order to avoid a discussion.

You don't know what you are talking about when it comes to science, the scientific method, or what constitutes meaningful data.

Yep.

Honest folks who are dealing with weight issues deserve to read this.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

:sad: 'Cause I have a maladaptive brain!
    <---Seriously Stevo, the abs of a person who eats breakfast. Let's write a book and make TONS of money!

my whole life is maladapted

One central lesson is that the human body is in a constant state of change. All the time, the constituents of the body's tissue is being broken down and re-synthesized- but the time frame differs.

So you can't look at yourself and shrug and say "Well, I've had this fat all my life and it's never going to go away."

The correct statement is "This is all new fat that my body has made over the past month."

The same goes for neural networks- the basis for how we think and act. They will change depending on what stimuli they are exposed to. They are in a constant state of renewal and reformation.

If you keep on doing the same stuff, they will get reinforced.

If you change what you do, the neural networks will change, depending on the stimuli.

That is how we learn and adapt.

Bottom line is that while you may be maladaptive in whatever sense you want it to be, you can change by changing behavior. Just like you lose weight by changing your eating patterns and behavior.

Nobody has to accept who they are.

The human body is marvelous like that.

In for more crackpot ideas.
    Fat turnover does not occur in a month.
    https://www.llnl.gov/news/newsreleases/2011/Sep/NR-11-09-04.html
  • QuietBloom
    Options
    OK Steve, thanks to Dame Piglet, here is one subject you misfired on. According to this peer reviewed published study, adipocite turnover is as follows:

" Approximately 10% of fat cells are renewed annually at all adult ages and levels of body mass index. "

Discuss please.

And suddenly Steve falls silent...
  • ajaxe432
    ajaxe432 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Not going to bother..... do your own research and TRY it if you are so inclined.
    But....I dont get it......you bothered?????
  • ajaxe432
    ajaxe432 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Adipose tissue turnover is a well-described phenomenon. Turns over in about three weeks.
    This right here makes me not want to read the book. :noway:
  • DamePiglet
    Options

Discuss please.

And suddenly Steve falls silent...

aaa.png

I'm thinking no, no he does not.
  • QuietBloom
    Options
    Anytime Steve posts from now on, I will keep referring him back to our posts where we are asking him to discuss his misfire. It probably won't shut him up, but it might slow his roll just a little. But then again, I am an optimist.
  • DamePiglet
    Options
    Anytime Steve posts from now on, I will keep referring him back to our posts where we are asking him to discuss his misfire. It probably won't shut him up, but it might slow his roll just a little. But then again, I am an optimist.

I wish I could be so optimistic.
    I once urged him to stop telling people (young women who did not list anything - not weight, not height, etc, in particular) to just "ignore their hunger" because "they have enough body fat currently to live off of for months", to no avail.
    Because, of course, it's "unlikely that someone has an eating disorder."
    Really? Unlikely that someone on MFP has an eating disorder??? :noway:

He went into the whole "I'm just educating people" speech.

'Cause, you know, the book is all the education anyone could ever need! We're all here for the same thing!
  • roniredd
    Options
    Personally, I would not worry too much about it. I would however, encourage eating "good" carbs. For example, fruit. Love it but has a lot of carbs. But, I also don't know anyone who got fat from eating too many apples!
  • DamePiglet
    Options
    That is the trouble with the internet.

People don't know what they don't know.

There is a difference between fat CELLS and the fat MOLECULES, called triclycerides that make up what is inside the fat cell.

The fat cell itself is a modified fibroblast.

If it does not contain any triglycerides, then it will be small. If has to serve as a storage depot for triglycerides, then it will swell to over fifty times it size.

The fat cells are a relative constant, though, as a said in a previous post, all cells are in a constant state of turnover. The turnover for fat cells may indeed be 10 percent a year. I would have to double check. Sounds reasonable.

But the turnover of the triclycerides, the total stored in the fat cells, are less than three months.

The triglycerides are constantly being broken down into glycerol and free fatty acids in a 1:3 ratio, transported back to the liver, reformulated, broken down again in the liver, released into the serum, and picked up by the adipose tissue cells, which repackage them as triglycerides and store them.

If the FFA and glycerol are needed for fuel, then the muscle cells will pick them and the total supply will drop.

Basic metabolism and physiology.

In Guyton's.

And all of this is in that book that you dismissed so smugly after reading the freebie ten pages on Kindle.

So, not to be petty, that is the problem here. People don't realize how complicated the human body is.

I am still concerned about your hostility.

Where does it come from?

What is your background?

My background is (among other things) that I'm literate.

You are trying to change what you said.
    People do not need medical books or jargon to lose weight. They don't need to understand how 'complicated the human body is'.

They DON'T need to skip breakfast. They DON'T need to read that book you keep trying to sell. They DON'T need to listen to you give bad advice.
  • QuietBloom
    Options
    . Double post
This discussion has been closed.