Correcting people at the gym

Options

Replies

• micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I want to correct this one dude that squats like an *kitten*. He's up on his toes, it's just the worst form I've ever seen. And, this other chick that lifts with her back when she squats. There's this other guy that just puts on way too much weight, and goes down like 1/8th about 3 times, and does this about 6 sets. It's ridiculous. There's this other guy that put about 320lbs on a bar, and deadlifts...ALL BACK. OMG. It freaks me out to watch it. Theres this other guy that does push-ups, I guess, but he doesn't bend his elbows, he just kind of keeps his arms straight, and drops his head and chest. It's so stupid. I want to punch him.

I don't have time to correct all these *kitten*.

Wow, you're very observant. I can tell who is missing from the gym that morning or who is new, but I couldn't tell you anything about someone's form or routine.
  • celtbell3
    celtbell3 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I'm okay with being corrected -- as long as the person doing the correcting is doing so in a respectful manner and doesn't mind being challenged should I feel they are incorrect...
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    I was given unsolicited advice once. It was helpful and I said thank-you!

If I have questions tho, I look for those who are doing things correctly: form, etiquette, regular attendee, etc.
    They have always been glad to help or offer assistance.

I'm too much of a noob to give out critique unless asked.
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    I'm okay with being corrected -- as long as the person doing the correcting is doing so in a respectful manner and doesn't mind being challenged should I feel they are incorrect...

hey sweetpants, here when doing squats you want your [grabs hips]hips just....like....this...now go up slowly...slower...slower[/grabs hips}
  • MikeInAZ
    MikeInAZ Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I've done it. Some people are appreciative, others give me a F-Off look! Usually it's with people I can tell are newbies or really out of shape. I saw a rather large girl doing crunches and she was yanking her neck up. I just wanted to make sure she didn't injure herself. Another time, I watched someone doing squats really wrong, bending over and putting their knees way over their toes. I corrected their form.

I would never tell some dude lifting that he's doing it wrong even though I see people doing it wrong all the time.

But I pretty much stopped offering advice. Too many times people seemed annoyed by it so I don't bother any more. Let them hurt themselves for all I care.
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    My casual observation is that the people who most enjoy giving advice are those who are new to the sport, who have read a bit and lifted a bit and, erroneously, believe they have a firm handle on what is going on and want to take their new found knowledge to the masses.

Don't forget the truism that the more we actually know, the more we realize we don't know. The inverse is true. The ones most eager to correct and proselytize are often in possession of the least amount of practical knowledge.

I was once corrected by a young man who was training with a couple of his friends. Actually he was teaching them to squat. Quarter squat at any rate. He came over and corrected me on the bar placement on my back suggesting that if the bar were higher, the squat would be easier. I've been lifting and competing for years and this was clearly peacocking for his friends so they could all observe his great skills. I suggested that if he bent his knees more than 60 degrees he might actually be squatting.

My point, beyond that I can be *****y, is that you shouldn't assume you know better.
  • _KitKat_
    _KitKat_ Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I ask a few people at my gym about different things that they are doing, I do it to help improve my own routine. The ones I ask are always more than willing to help.
    As for unsolicited advice, its really a toss up. Personally I wouldn't mind because I am trying to learn, if I feel their advice is wrong I would probably just thank them and continue on. Others may get offended, I just don't get offended that easily.
    The only unsolicited advise I have even given was a guy was having trouble figuring out the pectoral fly machine, I noticed because I was next to him and explained how the machine and settings worked. He was happy because he was fumbling so the help was welcomed.
  • tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    Nope. As far as I'm concerned, I workout alone. Just me and the clock. In and out, forget the rest.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

It would be interesting to see the gender ratio of those who were correcting/corrected by others.

Edited to add - I've only been corrected once, I didn't feel hit on at all. I was super annoyed and it was 6am - I wasn't getting approached because I was looking hot.

I'm female, but I know I wasn't being hit on.

To those who get offended: if one person thinks you're looking stupid, others do too. People who offer advice in a non-snide way are doing you a huge favor (as long as the advice seems reasonable and safe).
  • upsidedownjelly
    Options
    Not gonna lie, I am a horrrrrible people watcher at the gym. I see people doing things I just don't get (spotter in the smith machine?) all the time, but Im not going to say anything. I assume that they, like myself, have a specific goal in mind and its been working for them so far... I see the same 10 guys at my gym in the AMs and they've been going there forever.
    However I did want to ask the guy doing snatches with lots of weight loaded on the bar if he was aware he was using a women's 35 pound bar. It just seemed odd to me.

As far as getting advice, its happened and I hate it. Unless someone can definitively tell me if my pendlay rows are right, f off. I do also have the benefit of having been very well trained in the weight room during high school basketball, and know I don't have form issues. Headphones help.
  • 34blast
    34blast Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    90% of squats and dead lifts done at the gym are way wrong. I have seen trainers teach 1/2 and 1/4 squats. I find it best to just ignore them. If someone is interested in proper form, I reference them to Rippetoe.

I can't tell you how many back rounded and bounced dead lifts I see daily. Bouncing bench press so hard off the chest, I don't know how they don't break bones. I find it more the norm to see this crazy stuff rather than proper form. If I see someone doing proper form, sometimes I strike up a conversation just to be friendly. There is one guy twice as strong as me that has the best form in all lifts. He usually invites me to work in. In makes for a bit of a break to the monotony of working out alone.
  • MsJulielicious
    MsJulielicious Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Nope. I mind my own business at the gym.
    I have been asked for advice before.
    I was flattered. I gave the best to my knowledge.
    But, if its not solicited I keep my mouth shut and focus on me.
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options

However I did want to ask the guy doing snatches with lots of weight loaded on the bar if he was aware he was using a women's 35 pound bar. It just seemed odd to me.

Some men like to perform the olympic lifts with the women's bar at times. Apparently it is more flexible and easier somehow. I'm not good enough with my olympic lifts yet to really understand, but I've been told it does have an advantage and some men enjoy occasionally using it for a change (though not often).

Or maybe he had small hands.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Never mind.
  • lngrunert
    lngrunert Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    The gym is my time for me, not anyone else. I am not there to talk or make friends, i prefer to be left alone and I leave others to whatever they are doing.

This. So. Much. This.

Unless you are an employee of my gym and I am doing something that is against the rules, you need to GTF away from me. I will be sure to show you the same courtesy.
  • angelzprophecy
    Options
    Nahhh, i dont want to come off as the kind of guy who thinks hes always right and his way is the right way and only way. i dont even like to correct my friends if they have been working out for longer than me. Or if i do it'll be like "hey man, want to try it this way" and then i would show them my advice. But if i dont know them then no way

Except once when i saw a tall guy doing romanian deadlifts with a super rounded back so i told him he should pinch his shoulder blades back. I got a back injury from deadlfts so thats why i talked to him about it

and one other time when a guy was really having trouble figuring out how to use the hanging abb straps. i could tell that he just saw me use it and was trying them after me but didnt really know how to use it. He welcomed my advice
  • sarahg148
    sarahg148 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I keep my head down, don't make eye contact and wear earphones. :bigsmile:
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Last year I did it 2 times total. Normally I'll just do my own thing. Both times happened in January when all the "New Years Newbies" show up for the 3-6 weeks before they quit.

1st was for back squats where the person had rounded there back to the point I had to step in due to I didn't want to see the person in the hospital.

2nd was for another back squat. Person had the bar & shoulders was behind the toes. For the safety of everyone when he fell backwards and take someone out on the way I had to correct.

That and deadlifts. Its the other one exercise I see messed up all the time. Rounded backs all over the place kinda scary.
  • silver_arrow3
    silver_arrow3 Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    My trainer said she had been working out at the gym and one of the guys came over to give her pointers in form. I'd like to point out that she just placed in a fitness competition and is trained by a Mr. Olympian... She knows what she's doing. The guy came over while she was working with me and apologized because he hadn't realized she was a trainer.

Personally, I keep my trap shut. I'm not certified to give anyone pointers.