Correcting people at the gym

Options
12346»

Replies

• bernicesmission
    Options
    so weird this happened to me last night, I was at the gym on the lat pull down machine and next to me is this guy who i would say is in good shape but not a pro he was bench pressing really heavy weights and no one was spotting him, he was holding his breath his face was almost purple and his arms were seriously shaking from the strain, but he keep on going and i was getting nervous...
    i didnt know what to do and didnt want to disturb his concerntration, at one point he got stuck and couldnt lift the bar so i stepped in and said i could spot him if he likes..... he was absolutely pissed and proceeded to be very rude including " what makes you think i need help from a fat girl like you!" kind of comment in chinese!
    I was furious and made a huge scene and called him a rude ( beep beep beep), so from now on other peoples safety is not my resposibilty and that sounds ****ty but most people think that being fat or overweight means your f**cking stupid and lazy and i have no opinion that is valid to anyone regarding basic logic and common sense!
    I hate gym ar*eh*les!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Well, for me, it depends on how the correction is done.

i had some guy come up and aggressively correct me on the way i was using a machine. It was all I could do to not tell him to go fly a kite. Instead I thanked him and moved on.

I've had other people in a friendly manner give me pointers and took them with grace. Why? Because they were simply willing to share during the course of conversation.

Of all advice given to me, I actually use the suggestions.
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    No, I stay out of it unless they ask me specifically for advice. If I really see someone using dangerous form (and that's rare), I'll alert the staff, but otherwise I stay out of it.
  • whit_7
    whit_7 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    It’s not what you say it’s how you say it. I have been lifting for about two months now, and when I first started I was so intimidated. I wish someone would of notice that I needed some assistance and helped me. If they would have said what the heck are you doing you’re going to hurt yourself I might have not been so pleasant. On the other hand if they would of said another way of working on your arms is doing this be careful with that exercise you might pull a muscle, I would of been able to receive that advice. I think everyone needs to remember that they did not automatically know the correct way of doing things and everyone can’t afford a trainer. So if you’re correcting someone because you think they look like an idiot I would say keep your comments to yourself. If you are correcting someone because you truly want to help and you would like to give some pointers I say go for it.
  • demonsoul
    demonsoul Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Nope. I mind my own business at the gym.
    I have been asked for advice before.
    I was flattered. I gave the best to my knowledge.
    But, if its not solicited I keep my mouth shut and focus on me.

this. I have found its just the best policy. Do something wrong? pain is also a good teacher.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I corrected a couple of teen boys at the gym just last week. I explained to them that I was doing leg lifts on a table that was facing them and happened to notice them and asked if I could give them some friendly advice. They said sure and that it was appreciated. I spent about 5 minutes helping them get it right, lowing the weight until they could get the form correct, and explaining why. They were going to end up blowing out their shoulders if they continued with what they were doing (overextending on a chest fly - they were letting their arms go straight back behind them!).

They seemed genuinely appreciative and agreed that they could actually feel the burn in their chest now. One of the kids mentioned that his shoulders were hurting but he didn't want to say anything to his buddy.

I don't do that very often, but if I see someone about to hurt themselves, I try to help a little. Most people appreciate it. The ones that don't just are embarrassed because their ego got in the way. I've been lifting for 25+years and have been corrected a few times too and always appreciated it.

On a side note, there was a "trainer" watching these kids hurt themselves and didn't say a word to them...

That is sad. You would think a trainer would be the first to speak up.

trainers get a very bad rap for offering unsolicited advice.

I have walked up to one or two people and kindly asked if they would like some help- I've said- hey I see you working technique- you seem to be having a hard time with X... would you be okay with some advice?

it gives them the option to take it or not.

Then you have a graceful way out as do they and you can go back to judging them for having crap form if they chose to ignore you and then laugh when they say "I don't dead lift any more because I pulled my back out"

sure- sure you did- nothing to do with your form- just heavy weights and a bad lift. Right.

There is a way to talk to people about such things- and there is a way to sound like a condescending jerk or come off as a guy trying to help a girl and be a know it all.

No one helps me really- it's nice to have a knowledgeable person critique me- I also don't take advice from random people.

But I think that's the rub- lots of people want to offer advice- few people truly have the knowledge to do so.
  • BossLadyDSimp
    BossLadyDSimp Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    The gym is my time for me, not anyone else. I am not there to talk or make friends, i prefer to be left alone and I leave others to whatever they are doing.

This. So. Much. This.

Unless you are an employee of my gym and I am doing something that is against the rules, you need to GTF away from me. I will be sure to show you the same courtesy.

YES!!!

50540473.png
  • Bocch
    Bocch Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I prefer to be like the people in Vermont (not from Vermont). If a person asks for help or is struggling, I will gladly help (and have done so). If a person does not ask for help, I mind my own business. I never ever think that I am an expert in an exercise routine.
  • upsidedownjelly
    Options

However I did want to ask the guy doing snatches with lots of weight loaded on the bar if he was aware he was using a women's 35 pound bar. It just seemed odd to me.

Some men like to perform the olympic lifts with the women's bar at times. Apparently it is more flexible and easier somehow. I'm not good enough with my olympic lifts yet to really understand, but I've been told it does have an advantage and some men enjoy occasionally using it for a change (though not often).

Or maybe he had small hands.

Ah, thanks. That makes sense. I thought perhaps he had not realized he grabbed it, the weight room at my gym is generally a disaster and you have to hunt for missing bars quite often.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

However I did want to ask the guy doing snatches with lots of weight loaded on the bar if he was aware he was using a women's 35 pound bar. It just seemed odd to me.

Some men like to perform the olympic lifts with the women's bar at times. Apparently it is more flexible and easier somehow. I'm not good enough with my olympic lifts yet to really understand, but I've been told it does have an advantage and some men enjoy occasionally using it for a change (though not often).

Or maybe he had small hands.

Ah, thanks. That makes sense. I thought perhaps he had not realized he grabbed it, the weight room at my gym is generally a disaster and you have to hunt for missing bars quite often.

I use the short bar if I'm in a higher traffic area- you run less risk of someone walking into you and botching a lift. It has it's advantages sometimes.

I really prefer them for walking lunges too- but that's probably because I'm lazy and 75 lbs sounds better to me than 85 lbs!