You call this a Sexual Predator???

Options
1101112131416»

Replies

• BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    There's probably a lot more going on here than is being reported by this mother. If the school feels he's out of line, he's probably out of line, especially if they've already suspended him for the same type of behaviour.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    They need to work on boundaries with the boy. But, I still don't see a kiss on the hand (by a kindergarten kid) as being sexual.
  • mrsamanda86
    mrsamanda86 Posts: 869 Member
    Options

Schools everywhere deal with this kind of thing on a daily basis. I dare say that most don't choose the "sexual harassment" route.

I have no idea what (besides the previous suspension) the school tried to do to alleviate the problem.

If moving him to another classroom is an option, that would be the first one I would consider.

Moving him to another class is actually a great option, probably one they should have done before suspending him a second time. I didn't even think about that(but they definitely should have). Hopefully if it still ends up occurring again, they do make him switch classes.
  • marsellient
    marsellient Posts: 591 Member
    Options

Schools everywhere deal with this kind of thing on a daily basis. I dare say that most don't choose the "sexual harassment" route.

I have no idea what (besides the previous suspension) the school tried to do to alleviate the problem.

If moving him to another classroom is an option, that would be the first one I would consider.

Moving him to another class is actually a great option, probably one they should have done before suspending him a second time. I didn't even think about that(but they definitely should have). Hopefully if it still ends up occurring again, they do make him switch classes.
    Most schools are so tightly staffed that moving this child would make it necessary to move another child to accommodate him. Would you want to be the parent of the child who was asked to do that?
    Public schools are minefields of rules and regulations because of their mandate to try to be everything to everyone. When something is amiss in society, the first thing that's often said is that the schools should be doing something (teaching proper eating habits and exercise, for example!) so my question is, forgetting about the sexual harassment label, what kind of rules and consequences would YOU feel appropriate around touching at school?
    As a former teacher of adolescents it used to irk me to no end when my students were disciplined for doing the exact same things that people thought was cute in a 6 year old. If a 12 year old boy repeatedly hassled and kissed a girl in his class I'd assume no one would think it okay. So, where's the line?
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options

thanks. :smile: every once in awhile a couple of synapses fire and a good idea comes out. heeheehee

I've seen some wonderful school administrators and some really horrific ones. I'll tell ya, though, t's not a job I'd ever want.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options

Most schools are so tightly staffed that moving this child would make it necessary to move another child to accommodate him. Would you want to be the parent of the child who was asked to do that?
    Public schools are minefields of rules and regulations because of their mandate to try to be everything to everyone. When something is amiss in society, the first thing that's often said is that the schools should be doing something (teaching proper eating habits and exercise, for example!) so my question is, forgetting about the sexual harassment label, what kind of rules and consequences would YOU feel appropriate around touching at school?
    As a former teacher of adolescents it used to irk me to no end when my students were disciplined for doing the exact same things that people thought was cute in a 6 year old. If a 12 year old boy repeatedly hassled and kissed a girl in his class I'd assume no one would think it okay. So, where's the line?

Surely you understand the different developmental level between a 6 year old and a 12 year old?
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options

My kids were often moved around like that because they were pretty easy going.

No need to get butthurt. No one said not to punish the kid, just don't label him a sex offender.

edit: also, this was a kiss on the hand and on the cheek. I do believe there is a huge difference between this and groping.
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options

It should only irk you if you dont understand that there is a world of developmental difference between the two. If I still did things that I did when I was 5, 6, 7, 8...I'd probably be arrested. I'm fairly certain I didnt wear clothes at the beach at that age, for example.
  • freebirdfitness
    Options
    I get it its a 6 year old boy. But you guys just shrugging it off you clearly weren't harassed at school. I was constantly harassed by boys from grade 2 on. From just yelling my name out to get my attention, to tackling me and groping...one led to more. I'm sure people where just like " whatever kids will be kids" I really hate most men to this day. And felt helpless all through school. So might want to look at the girls prespective. She doesn't want the attention, sure mom is mad the school got heavy handed....but what about the girl??

LMAO

I was a C cup when I was 9. You really think boys didn't notice that?

Been through it all, lived and am perfectly fine.

Do I think adults should step in and address the problem? Of course. Do I think they overreacted and handled it poorly? Absolutely.

Suspension for a repeated offense is handling it perfectly in my opinion.

Because something didn't cause problems for you long term, doesn't mean it's the same for everyone else.

Its not the same for everyone else.... I am opposite from this lady.
    and dude your smart! Been in agreement with all of your posts!
This discussion has been closed.