Harming children to make yourself feel good?

Options

Replies

• Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    NO.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else want to go find the OP's kids and give them entire packages of cookies?
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    People I don't want to be around during the holidays (or any other time): sugar Nazis.

It's one thing to not let your kids eat candy every day. It's entirely another to tell your kids' grandparents and aunts and uncle not to give them a freaking cookie at Christmas. Unless your kid has an allergy, I think you should get over it.
  • wardances
    Options
    Does anyone else want to go find the OP's kids and give them entire packages of cookies?

I have 6 bags of chocolate chips and I can make some mean chocolate chip cookies. So, yeah, I'm with ya. :bigsmile:
  • AmykinsCatfood
    AmykinsCatfood Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I have a dog (not exactly the same thing) but you would be amazed how many people think it's ok to give an animal people food. Anytime I go to a social gather I make it clear to everyone that it is not OK to feed my dog anything. I think it's a parent's responsibility (or pet owner) to have that talk with family/friends. Don't just assume that everyone should know.

I agree. A lot of people food is harmful to animals. Chocolate for example can kill dogs.

Macadamia nuts and a lot of seeds and pits of fruit can as well. There's a list a mile long.
  • pwittek10
    pwittek10 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    We never allow our dogs people food, it is not good for them
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Jeez..
  • metaphoria
    metaphoria Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    I think a good rule with children is to ask parents, first. If you don't know about allergies, or the child has already been given treats, or their parents said no to something already, just a quick check can avoid problems, later.
  • rml_16
    Options
    True. A piece of steak is TERRIBLE for a dog. I mean, why would you feed a dog meat? It's not as though that's what they're built to eat or anything.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    It's almost as if people who want to control what goes into their kids' faceholes should watch them themselves, or at least pre-emptively make their wishes clear to the people they're leaving them in the care/custody of... :huh:
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    Wow, this post makes me want to give my son a hug and a big cookie.
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    True. A piece of steak is TERRIBLE for a dog. I mean, why would you feed a dog meat? It's not as though that's what they're built to eat or anything.

That doesn't make sense, dogs are carnivores!
  • melham
    melham Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Wow, this post makes me want to give my son a big and a cookie.
    If your son isn't immediately available, I'll take the big cookie. :happy:
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    In for the comments
  • rml_16
    Options

But it's people food. People food is bad for dogs. They must only eat dog food.
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Depends on the child...if they have a weight problem and the parents are trying to get a handle on it then yes, I would say don't offer sweets. However if the child is in good health and it's a rare occasion thing like the holidays live a little...what are grandparents supposed to do if not spoil thier grandchildren. Just be sure that food is not the only way love is shown.
  • icyeyes317
    icyeyes317 Posts: 226 Member
    Options

Yep. Sure do.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

Actually, they're omnivores. Cats are carnivores. One of my dogs get super excited for frozen mixed vegetables. The other much prefers cheese.
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options

But it's people food. People food is bad for dogs. They must only eat dog food.

How is it people food? cows aren't only for humans!
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Grandparents and aunties especially, and friends and relatives everywhere - please, please, please, please, please ask parents first BEFORE offering children sweets and treats!!!!! And NEVER sneak them treats when parents say no.

Of course you're not harming them on purpose, but a diet with too many cookies, cakes, candy and sweets is never good for anyone, especially children, especially when they are busy - and there are a lot of "special visits" during the holidays, so your offer might be a child's sixth cookie for the day.

Kids don't yet have the ability to make considered choices about their nutrition; their parents do. If you're going around Mom and Dad to feed them high calorie, nutritionally void food - you're getting your own, warm, fuzzy, heart warming smile, "thank you," and, "I love you," AT THEIR EXPENSE - in straight, harsh terms: YOU ARE HARMING THEM TO MAKE YOURSELF FEEL GOOD. STOP.

If you feed your kids a healthy diet all year long and ensure they are active, a few instances of indulgence isn't going to have negative effects on their health. Perhaps you need to re-evaluate the food you are offering as a parent instead of blaming extended family members for giving them sweets a few times a year, or you need to put on your big girl pants and set limits with your family members instead of lecturing other people on the internet. In straight, harsh terms: YOU ARE PROJECTING AND BLAMING OTHERS TO MAKE YOURSELF FEEL BETTER. STOP.