Harming children to make yourself feel good?

Options

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Have some marzipan babies
    marzipan-babies.jpg

Wow! Who could actually bring themselves to eat those?!?!?

They are too adorable though!

adorable?! creepy as ****!!!!
  • amymt10
    amymt10 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    The only thing I have a problem with is foods w/dye in them. My son is super sensitive to dyes in foods. They make him bounce of the walls totally uncontrollable HYPER!!! You give him dye, he goes home with you!!! It takes about 3 days for it to get out of his system. No dye its ok to give him sweets, but in moderation please.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    marzipan-babies.jpg

Where can I get some of these?! I hate marzipan but I'd change my mind for these little things.
    I don't like marzipan and I don't like babies. Now I like them both even less. :laugh:
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    This is not a food issue. You should never undermine a parents rules unless it is illegal or harming the child.
    Agreed, but apparently you are supposed to be a mind-reader or something...
  • godsgrl33
    godsgrl33 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    It's not so bad if the child actually ate something of nutrition first, but I've seen it where the kid didn't even eat their meat and potatoes first and then all they ate was the sweets. My kids have gotten belly aches, and my daughter has thrown up before from eating too much sweets. I don't think it's very funny, either.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    marzipan-babies.jpg

Yeah I'm going with creepy as well. Very.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    It's not so bad if the child actually ate something of nutrition first, but I've seen it where the kid didn't even eat their meat and potatoes first and then all they ate was the sweets. My kids have gotten belly aches, and my daughter has thrown up before from eating too much sweets. I don't think it's very funny, either.
    No, but it's a good lesson.
  • _KitKat_
    _KitKat_ Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Kids can make healthy choices if it becomes their preference. Since mine were little their favorites were the cocktail shrimp and veggies and dip. They could have anything they want at a holiday event and normally they made good choices on their own. Except for allergies I do not think family members are harming them with cookies. I believe that if a child (like an adult) is denied certain foods that makes the foods more appealing and more likely to be overeaten.

As for dogs, you feed him something I didn't approve of and his stomach gets upset...you are cleaning it up and possibly paying my vet bill. My dog does get people food but only with his normal meal and its only meat and veggies. Lucky for me with his size (200lb Mastiff) most standard dog sensitivities do not effect him.
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    Grandparents and aunties especially, and friends and relatives everywhere - please, please, please, please, please ask parents first BEFORE offering children sweets and treats!!!!! And NEVER sneak them treats when parents say no.

Of course you're not harming them on purpose, but a diet with too many cookies, cakes, candy and sweets is never good for anyone, especially children, especially when they are busy - and there are a lot of "special visits" during the holidays, so your offer might be a child's sixth cookie for the day.

Kids don't yet have the ability to make considered choices about their nutrition; their parents do. If you're going around Mom and Dad to feed them high calorie, nutritionally void food - you're getting your own, warm, fuzzy, heart warming smile, "thank you," and, "I love you," AT THEIR EXPENSE - in straight, harsh terms: YOU ARE HARMING THEM TO MAKE YOURSELF FEEL GOOD. STOP.

I agree with this..but not because I think the treats are going to make the kids unhealthy for life. My son starts to get sugared up at some point. He does not typically eat a lot of sweets and once he crosses the line of sugared up he starts acting goofy and then gets in trouble for being too wild. If I can make sure he gets treats but not too many FOR HIM then he can still enjoy the treats without having too much. No one is happy once the kids start getting in trouble. The stupid adults that think they are making his night better are now upset that he is running around. The stupid adults who think that they are letting him live a little by giving him another cookie without permission are then frustrated that I have to parent him and give him a time out. WELL morons try to abide by the rules of sweet treats need to be run past momma first. I am not denying him treats to be mean, I am allowing to a certain point then stopping when I see the signs that we have reached the point of too much.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Make sure you don't confuse the lego shaped gummy candy with the real thing...

brick-shaped-gummies.jpg
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Do I get frustrated at times by the amount of junk my kid eats at her grandparents house? Sure.

Do I mention in casual conversation her love of apples and yogurt? Yep. Do I bring bottled water and encourage her to drink it? Yes. Do I tell them how much she loves popcorn? Uh-huh.

Do I slam their food choices and make them feel bad for giving her something they see as a treat? No. Do I critique them and criticize their relationship with food and my child? Nope.

Have they changed the food that they feed her based on the hints and clues I give them? Yes. Does she still get a few treats? Yep.

Balance. You need to find it.

OP pay attention to this. This is a completely reasonable response to the concerns you're expressing.

Calling grandmas and aunties selfish for giving your child a cookie is not.

As a grandmother to 2 teenagers, I approve this message. I have them a few times a year. I don't mainline sugar into them, but they know when they are at my house, we have some treats and we eat their favorite dinners. Part of the human experience. LIghten up people.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Would it be safe to say that children, for the most part, are trainable just like dogs? Because I can fully attest to the fact that they're really not all that different in the beginning.

My son did sh1t in the garden but he never licked his balls.
  • melham
    melham Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    marzipan-babies.jpg

Yes yes 100 times yes! CREEPY!!!!
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Strong title. Curious where this thread goes.

^^Agree.

I also agree friends, family, etc. should ask the parents before giving your kids candy, cookies, and cokes, though.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Would it be safe to say that children, for the most part, are trainable just like dogs? Because I can fully attest to the fact that they're really not all that different in the beginning.

My son did sh1t in the garden but he never licked his balls.
    If he could have reached them, though ...
  • tzig00
    tzig00 Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    If my children are getting hyper from getting too many sweets at my parents house, I stay there until the crash so they have to suffer through the sugar rush too. It's my way of saying if you don't want to deal with it, don't give it to them. :devil:
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I have a dog (not exactly the same thing) but you would be amazed how many people think it's ok to give an animal people food. Anytime I go to a social gather I make it clear to everyone that it is not OK to feed my dog anything. I think it's a parent's responsibility (or pet owner) to have that talk with family/friends. Don't just assume that everyone should know.

This was my initial thought. I've gotten very mad at relatives that fed my dog table food during holiday dinners. It's extremely disrespectful to knowingly go against someone's wishes that were just told to you.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Then why are we all here!? It's to lose weight because we indulged in too much sugar and fatty foods!

Speak for yourself. I didn't get fat until college, and my diet wasn't that terrible in terms of the quality of the food. I just ate too much in general. I eat cookies and cake and chocolate and ice cream all the time now, and I'm not fat. It's because I've learned how to fit such things into my diet.

I would never give my nieces or nephew something that their parents have specifically asked me not to give them. Otherwise, I'll give them what I want. I do know the difference between giving them one cookie vs. giving them an entire batch.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I have a dog (not exactly the same thing) but you would be amazed how many people think it's ok to give an animal people food. Anytime I go to a social gather I make it clear to everyone that it is not OK to feed my dog anything. I think it's a parent's responsibility (or pet owner) to have that talk with family/friends. Don't just assume that everyone should know.

that's because it is okay to give an animal people food.

With the exception of like chicken bones and chocolate things- most of what we eat is fine for them.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Then why are we all here!? It's to lose weight because we indulged in too much sugar and fatty foods!

Not everyone here is trying to lose weight-there's many of us who are maintaining successful weight losses. And I'm doing it brilliantly while eating sugary and 'fatty' foods- just staying within my maintenance calorie range now :drinker: Calories in. Calories out. Simple as that.