Harming children to make yourself feel good?

Options

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Ew Eugenio. :sick:

I was actually thinking more along the lines of Ugolino.

YES, I LOVE YOU!!!

I was too, but I have a strange memory overlap between Ugolino and the Saturn, Neptune painitngs.
    I know I saw the Ugolino scultpture more often but I always see in my mind the Goya in its place.
    If you post The Garden of Earlthy Delights, I will perma-ignore you! And no Dali, please (except the melting clocks).

I was an art history major for a couple semesters and I have nightmares about some of that stuff to this day.

Gimme Impressionists, please. They make me happy.

Oh no, that's terrible. :laugh:

I love The Garden of Earthly Delights. I find Dali a bit overrated but I'm a sucker for Frida Kahlo.
    I learned about Kahlo as a person before I ever saw any of her art and I think that ruined her art for me. It isn't really my taste, anyway. Her politics were a bit extreme for me.

There are plenty of other artists whose politics are just as bad, but I fell in love with their work before I knew that stuff. So now I feel guilty for liking their work. It's really awful.

Dali is just so dark. I don't like the tortured, dark stuff. There are only a couple Van Goghs I like because his stuff was so tortured, too. I appreciate the talent and beauty, but I don't enjoy it.

I'm just the opposite. I look at Impressionism or Rococo and I think well, that's pretty I guess but what else? It's got to have more to it than that for me to enjoy it.

eta: I love Frida because I see a lot of my own pain and fears reflected in her work. She and I have a lot in common (meaning her personal life, not so much her politics).
    :-)

The wonderful thing about art is that there is something out there for everyone. I've learned with art (all forms) I can appreciate that something is good even when I don't personally like it.

One of my favorite more modern artists is Jack Vettriano. His stuff speaks to me. But Renoir is my all-time favorite.

I've got a Jack Vettriano print in my living room-- The Singing Butler. See? Common ground.

Also now this thread is about art. And dogs. :laugh:
  • fannyfrost
    fannyfrost Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Grandparents and aunties especially, and friends and relatives everywhere - please, please, please, please, please ask parents first BEFORE offering children sweets and treats!!!!! And NEVER sneak them treats when parents say no.

Of course you're not harming them on purpose, but a diet with too many cookies, cakes, candy and sweets is never good for anyone, especially children, especially when they are busy - and there are a lot of "special visits" during the holidays, so your offer might be a child's sixth cookie for the day.

Kids don't yet have the ability to make considered choices about their nutrition; their parents do. If you're going around Mom and Dad to feed them high calorie, nutritionally void food - you're getting your own, warm, fuzzy, heart warming smile, "thank you," and, "I love you," AT THEIR EXPENSE - in straight, harsh terms: YOU ARE HARMING THEM TO MAKE YOURSELF FEEL GOOD. STOP.

I agree you should ask, but at the same time I have a friend and her sister controls what her kids eat to the point that the little girl pretends not have lunch at school so she can buy chicken nuggets (age 7). She limited her sons portions at age 2. She exerts so much control over the food the kids are allowed that the daughter will actually eat food she doesn't like if her mother says she is not allowed to have it.

While I am all for healthy eating and watching the treats, your post makes me also wonder if you are making such a big deal out of it with your kids that you may be giving them an eating disorder well before they even enter their teens. Aunts and Uncles and grandparents will give kids treats. The trick is for mom to be prepared. Allergies of course are also an issue, so no one should offer a child a sweet if they haven't confirmed allergies, etc.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    This is 10000% true. From personal experience as an ex fat kid.

I'm also an ex fat kid.. but i'm pretty sure my proclivity to over eat in general caused the obesity, rather then the cookies I was given by family members.

I even ate really healthy as a kid and exercised..
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I've got a Jack Vettriano print in my living room-- The Singing Butler. See? Common ground.

Also now this thread is about art. And dogs.

As it should be!

The Singing Butler is a great one. My favorite of his is The Waltzers.
  • ashedw425
    Options
    Ew Eugenio. :sick:

I was actually thinking more along the lines of Ugolino.

YES, I LOVE YOU!!!

I was too, but I have a strange memory overlap between Ugolino and the Saturn, Neptune painitngs.
    I know I saw the Ugolino scultpture more often but I always see in my mind the Goya in its place.
    If you post The Garden of Earlthy Delights, I will perma-ignore you! And no Dali, please (except the melting clocks).

I was an art history major for a couple semesters and I have nightmares about some of that stuff to this day.

Gimme Impressionists, please. They make me happy.

Oh no, that's terrible. :laugh:

I love The Garden of Earthly Delights. I find Dali a bit overrated but I'm a sucker for Frida Kahlo.
    I learned about Kahlo as a person before I ever saw any of her art and I think that ruined her art for me. It isn't really my taste, anyway. Her politics were a bit extreme for me.

There are plenty of other artists whose politics are just as bad, but I fell in love with their work before I knew that stuff. So now I feel guilty for liking their work. It's really awful.

Dali is just so dark. I don't like the tortured, dark stuff. There are only a couple Van Goghs I like because his stuff was so tortured, too. I appreciate the talent and beauty, but I don't enjoy it.

I'm just the opposite. I look at Impressionism or Rococo and I think well, that's pretty I guess but what else? It's got to have more to it than that for me to enjoy it.

eta: I love Frida because I see a lot of my own pain and fears reflected in her work. She and I have a lot in common (meaning her personal life, not so much her politics).
    :-)

The wonderful thing about art is that there is something out there for everyone. I've learned with art (all forms) I can appreciate that something is good even when I don't personally like it.

One of my favorite more modern artists is Jack Vettriano. His stuff speaks to me. But Renoir is my all-time favorite.

Also now this thread is about art. And dogs. :laugh:

Thank, goodness! Cause the original post was a bit silly.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Have some marzipan babies
    marzipan-babies.jpg

Reminds me a little of the goya painting...

SaturnGoya450w20q.jpg

Gruß vom Krampus!

Krampus+Eating+Child.jpg

Thanks for the reminder, Parys! Cats + onions or garlic = Heinz body anemia. Bigtime nope.
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Parents need to:
    Make sure thier kids go to school
    Make sure their kids go to bed.
    brush their teeth
    exercise 60min a a day.
  • bmqbonnie
    bmqbonnie Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    While I'd agree it's really rude and dangerous to give a kid (or animal, for that matter) food without asking first (they could have allergies or something), I think this is a little out of check. It sounds like you want to forbid sweets or junk food of any kind, ever. That kind of mindset is going to backfire on you.

Now I see the discussion turned to art for some reason and need to read more posts.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reminder, Parys! Cats + onions or garlic = Heinz body anemia. Bigtime nope.

TIL no onions to cats. Useful, if I ever cat.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    So, today...my 3 year old is having a pancake for breakfast. And after he gets done with school (where he will ONLY eat a pb&j sandwich and fruit), he is gonna have french fries. And at some point he will have a fruit snack with his gummy vitamin. After dinner (probably pizza bites or fish sticks) he's gonna have a cookie. Oh, and yogurt, applesauce, some more fruit, some 'juice' (water with a touch of 100% juice for flavor), and who know what else. Guess what: he's in the top 95% of the height and weight scales, and is healthy as an ox.

Maybe for that, he will have another cookie. =)

Not that I care, but you do realize that being in the 95% of height and weight means your kid is bigger than 95% of the kids out there?
  • rml_16
    Options
    While I'd agree it's really rude and dangerous to give a kid (or animal, for that matter) food without asking first (they could have allergies or something), I think this is a little out of check. It sounds like you want to forbid sweets or junk food of any kind, ever. That kind of mindset is going to backfire on you.

Now I see the discussion turned to art for some reason and need to read more posts.
    The thing is, aunts and grandparents are probably aware of allergies, being such close family and all. I mean, my cousin's two kids have food allergies and even though I live 1,000 miles away and have spent very little time with them, I know they have such allergies. My cousin and her husband are very careful to let people know so that people DON'T give them food that will make them ill or kill them.

So in that case, I would never give them anything without checking first. But if it's a kid who's perfectly healthy and it's a special occassion and I'm an aunt or grandparent or whatever, I'm not going to be so careful.

My grandmother used to give us yummy food without asking permission. She gave my daughter yummy food without asking permission. It never occurred to me to be angry about it.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    So, today...my 3 year old is having a pancake for breakfast. And after he gets done with school (where he will ONLY eat a pb&j sandwich and fruit), he is gonna have french fries. And at some point he will have a fruit snack with his gummy vitamin. After dinner (probably pizza bites or fish sticks) he's gonna have a cookie. Oh, and yogurt, applesauce, some more fruit, some 'juice' (water with a touch of 100% juice for flavor), and who know what else. Guess what: he's in the top 95% of the height and weight scales, and is healthy as an ox.

Not that I care, but you do realize that being in the 95% of height and weight means your kid is bigger than 95% of the kids out there?

What does that have to do with anything???

My son was always (and still is) over the 100% mark.. usually around 105% or higher.. for both height and weight.. since he was born. He's healthy, he's not overweight.
  • kellenas
    kellenas Posts: 154
    Options
    I'm handing out mini christmas cabbages (brussel sprouts) to kids now.. (that'll teach em):laugh:

YUM! I love brussel sprouts! Of course, my kids don't :laugh:
  • Maryv573
    Options
    :ohwell:
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options

My son was always (and still is) over the 100% mark.. usually around 105% or higher.. for both height and weight.. since he was born. He's healthy, he's not overweight.

So he's bigger than all the boys his age plus some boys his age that will be or what? How does this even math?
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options

Has to do with the fact that it makes is point kind of invalid. They list a whole bunch of food they feed their kid, and then end it with, and he is bigger than 95% of the rest of the kids, just kind of makes the argument invalid. Like I said not that I care, I feed me nieces all sorts of good things when they are around. I just think it makes for a bad point to make.
  • rml_16
    Options

Has to do with the fact that it makes is point kind of invalid. They list a whole bunch of food they feed their kid, and then end it with, and he is bigger than 95% of the rest of the kids, just kind of makes the argument invalid. Like I said not that I care, I feed me nieces all sorts of good things when they are around. I just think it makes for a bad point to make.
    I had the same thought you did. Though if both height and weight are the 95th percentile, then the kid is probably just a bigger kid (taller and therefore heavier) and not necessarily overweight. Still, the way it was worded sort of invalidated the original point.
  • parys1
    parys1 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options

TIL no onions to cats. Useful, if I ever cat.

You're welcome. It's a no to dogs, too. Onion and garlic toxicity in dogs=hemolytic anemia.
  • broox80
    broox80 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Please tell my mother in law and sister in laws this!!!!!!!!! We have a strict rule in our house that no one under 6 is allowed soda. I dont know why we picked this number, but we wanted to make sure that the kids had a good foundation for food and how it affects their bodies before packing in a ton of sweet soda. I have a 7 year old and a 1 year old. The 7 year old is allowed 1 soda and 1 sugary treat a day, but just started drinking soda last year. My MIL and SIL would always sneak him as many sodas and sugary snacks as they can poke in him, just because they know we dont want him to have them. UUgghhhhh!! Frustrating!!
  • kellenas
    kellenas Posts: 154
    Options
    Parents need to:
    Make sure thier kids go to school
    Make sure their kids go to bed.
    brush their teeth
    exercise 60min a a day.

And take baths daily.