Harming children to make yourself feel good?

Options

Replies

• Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    As a grandmother to 9. I have had various issues with the health issues of my own and the children's. My youngest granddaughter is dairy and soya reactive. I never have given any of them anything which will harm them. This is all too Frightening, as soya milk is the first reserve for usual baby formula and in this situation the mothers milk was not right at first either.

I am now making dairy, egg and soya free birthday cakes. I need to work on a special Christmas Cake so she can join in with the others. I will not be partaking of the cakes because of the salicylate.
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Please tell my mother in law and sister in laws this!!!!!!!!! We have a strict rule in our house that no one under 6 is allowed soda. I dont know why we picked this number, but we wanted to make sure that the kids had a good foundation for food and how it affects their bodies before packing in a ton of sweet soda. I have a 7 year old and a 1 year old. The 7 year old is allowed 1 soda and 1 sugary treat a day, but just started drinking soda last year. My MIL and SIL would always sneak him as many sodas and sugary snacks as they can poke in him, just because they know we dont want him to have them. UUgghhhhh!! Frustrating!!

Why does your husband allow his mother and sister to treat you so disrespectfully and go against your wishes? If they really do it because they specifically want to undermine you, then you have an adult-to-adult issue and it has nothing to do with other grandmas giving their grandkids cookies.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reminder, Parys! Cats + onions or garlic = Heinz body anemia. Bigtime nope.

TIL no onions to cats. Useful, if I ever cat.

You're welcome. It's a no to dogs, too. Onion and garlic toxicity in dogs=hemolytic anemia.

Yep, went and read up on it. Appreciated. I knew about the no onion/ no garlic rule but not the reason.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    What a completely pointless OP.
  • wardances
    Options
    So, today...my 3 year old is having a pancake for breakfast. And after he gets done with school (where he will ONLY eat a pb&j sandwich and fruit), he is gonna have french fries. And at some point he will have a fruit snack with his gummy vitamin. After dinner (probably pizza bites or fish sticks) he's gonna have a cookie. Oh, and yogurt, applesauce, some more fruit, some 'juice' (water with a touch of 100% juice for flavor), and who know what else. Guess what: he's in the top 95% of the height and weight scales, and is healthy as an ox.

Maybe for that, he will have another cookie. =)

Not that I care, but you do realize that being in the 95% of height and weight means your kid is bigger than 95% of the kids out there?

What does that have to do with anything???

My son was always (and still is) over the 100% mark.. usually around 105% or higher.. for both height and weight.. since he was born. He's healthy, he's not overweight.

So he's bigger than all the boys his age plus some boys his age that will be or what? How does this even math?

There's this magical thing called genetics and it's plays a big part, I think. Usual days for my kid: half a bowl of oatmeal for breakfast, a pb&j or hot dog w/ chips for lunch, and corn/chicken/mashed potatoes (or something equally large) for dinner. Snacks will be cookies, candy, tons of teddy grahams and pretzels and fruit, a cup or two of nuts, and peanut butter crackers. Daily drinks for him are 3 cups of whole milk, a cup of juice, and tons of water. End result? Pssh, we're just NOW reaching 21.4 pounds/30 inches at 1 1/2 years old. Also, he's pretty much identical to my husband who thrives on nothing but junk and hasn't gained a pound in over ten years. And I also cannot keep my kid sitting still... even in sleep he thrashes around a lot. Some kids are bigger than others and some kids are smaller than others even if they're on a healthy diet. BIG DEAL.
  • healthylife6405
    healthylife6405 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Agreed! Good board.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    So, today...my 3 year old is having a pancake for breakfast. And after he gets done with school (where he will ONLY eat a pb&j sandwich and fruit), he is gonna have french fries. And at some point he will have a fruit snack with his gummy vitamin. After dinner (probably pizza bites or fish sticks) he's gonna have a cookie. Oh, and yogurt, applesauce, some more fruit, some 'juice' (water with a touch of 100% juice for flavor), and who know what else. Guess what: he's in the top 95% of the height and weight scales, and is healthy as an ox.

Not that I care, but you do realize that being in the 95% of height and weight means your kid is bigger than 95% of the kids out there?

My son was always (and still is) over the 100% mark.. usually around 105% or higher.. for both height and weight.. since he was born. He's healthy, he's not overweight.

So he's bigger than all the boys his age plus some boys his age that will be or what? How does this even math?

There's this magical thing called genetics and it's plays a big part, I think. Usual days for my kid: half a bowl of oatmeal for breakfast, a pb&j or hot dog w/ chips for lunch, and corn/chicken/mashed potatoes (or something equally large) for dinner. Snacks will be cookies, candy, tons of teddy grahams and pretzels and fruit, a cup or two of nuts, and peanut butter crackers. Daily drinks for him are 3 cups of whole milk, a cup of juice, and tons of water. End result? Pssh, we're just NOW reaching 21.4 pounds/30 inches at 1 1/2 years old. Also, he's pretty much identical to my husband who thrives on nothing but junk and hasn't gained a pound in over ten years. And I also cannot keep my kid sitting still... even in sleep he thrashes around a lot. Some kids are bigger than others and some kids are smaller than others even if they're on a healthy diet. BIG DEAL.

Riiiight. But that doesn't explain the other person's assertion that her son was in the 105th percentile for height and weight.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Strong title. Curious where this thread goes.

^this
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Huh.....i have 5 kids(ages 7-22).....not a one is even close to overweight....all eat reasonably well....and I KNOW they had many many more cookies, cake, ice cream, junk food than I would ever agree to. And on a regular basis at times. Sneaky little rugrats!

A few cookies is not really HARMING a child. Unless the kid is diabetic or otherwise has issues with sugar.

Wow. I was expecting something that was actually harmful.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Strong title. Curious where this thread goes.

^this
    It went to dogs and art for a while.
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    That sixth cookie is vital. If a child eats six cookies in one day, ESPECIALLY DURING THE HOLIDAYS, it can be deadly.

Educate yourselves!

Isn't that in the same list as

Don't expose them to bright lights.

Don't get them wet.

And never ever feed them after midnight?
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    That sixth cookie is vital. If a child eats six cookies in one day, ESPECIALLY DURING THE HOLIDAYS, it can be deadly.

Educate yourselves!

Don't get them wet.

Yeah. Don't do those things, either.

They'll get really fat if you feed them after midnight.
  • mammamaurer
    mammamaurer Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Grandparents and aunties especially, and friends and relatives everywhere - please, please, please, please, please ask parents first BEFORE offering children sweets and treats!!!!! And NEVER sneak them treats when parents say no.

Of course you're not harming them on purpose, but a diet with too many cookies, cakes, candy and sweets is never good for anyone, especially children, especially when they are busy - and there are a lot of "special visits" during the holidays, so your offer might be a child's sixth cookie for the day.

Kids don't yet have the ability to make considered choices about their nutrition; their parents do. If you're going around Mom and Dad to feed them high calorie, nutritionally void food - you're getting your own, warm, fuzzy, heart warming smile, "thank you," and, "I love you," AT THEIR EXPENSE - in straight, harsh terms: YOU ARE HARMING THEM TO MAKE YOURSELF FEEL GOOD. STOP.

untitled_zpsc8b37465.jpg
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options

Riiiight. But that doesn't explain the other person's assertion that her son was in the 105th percentile for height and weight.

Being above the 100th percentile simply means 'off current charts', or alternatively that the charts are wrong.

It's true that in the real world there is no such thing as a 100+ percentile. But charts are static, and the real world changes. Sounds like the kid is just pushing the 100th percentile up beyond what it currently is.

Of course quantifying it as '105th percentile' doesn't make sense, but it's probably just an attempt to make sense of an off the charts position by someone who is less familiar with statistics.
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options

Educate yourselves!

Don't get them wet.

2isa1bk.jpg
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    lurking.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Grandparents and aunties especially, and friends and relatives everywhere - please, please, please, please, please ask parents first BEFORE offering children sweets and treats!!!!! And NEVER sneak them treats when parents say no.

Of course you're not harming them on purpose, but a diet with too many cookies, cakes, candy and sweets is never good for anyone, especially children, especially when they are busy - and there are a lot of "special visits" during the holidays, so your offer might be a child's sixth cookie for the day.

Kids don't yet have the ability to make considered choices about their nutrition; their parents do. If you're going around Mom and Dad to feed them high calorie, nutritionally void food - you're getting your own, warm, fuzzy, heart warming smile, "thank you," and, "I love you," AT THEIR EXPENSE - in straight, harsh terms: YOU ARE HARMING THEM TO MAKE YOURSELF FEEL GOOD. STOP.

You're one of those parents who only allows your child to get one toy for Christmas as well, aren't you?

Please start shopping now for a reality TV deal for your kids when they hit college age. I can't wait to see the debauchery that ensues when they escape your miserly grip. LOL
  • gangsterfurious
    Options
    My father's mother and grandmother did this to me, fed me candy bars, cookies, whatever I wanted that was loaded with sugar, because they had a grudge against my mother. But it's me who is paying the price and I feel like I have an addiction to sugar and have battled with my weight all my life. People really don't realize the damage they can do to children.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    *walks in, looks around at the idiocity, turns around and walks out*
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options

Yeeeaaah, that's not how math works. Even if somehow she was able to measure that he was the absolute tallest and heaviest kid in his age group, he would be the 100th percentile. This kind of measurement cannot go above 100%.