Harming children to make yourself feel good?

Options

Replies

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    I've got a Jack Vettriano print in my living room-- The Singing Butler. See? Common ground.

Also now this thread is about art. And dogs. :laugh:

And no one's taken this opportunity to post this:
    Hisstationand4aces-coolidge.jpg
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I've got a Jack Vettriano print in my living room-- The Singing Butler. See? Common ground.

Also now this thread is about art. And dogs. :laugh:

And no one's taken this opportunity to post this:
    Hisstationand4aces-coolidge.jpg
    Dogs and art together. A masterpiece.
  • gelendestrasse
    Options
    Wow, I was expecting violence but candy? I'm guessing that this was just too generate a lot of responses, you can't be serious....

But, if you are, put down that Snickers bar and nobody gets hurt.....
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    One cookie doesn't make a habit.... but if you offer my kids a cigarette, we're going to throw down.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    My father's mother and grandmother did this to me, fed me candy bars, cookies, whatever I wanted that was loaded with sugar, because they had a grudge against my mother. But it's me who is paying the price and I feel like I have an addiction to sugar and have battled with my weight all my life. People really don't realize the damage they can do to children.

So your grandmother and great-grandmother are to blame for your lack of will power? Way to be accountable for your own actions! With that kind of attitude, I'm sure you will have no trouble conquering your "sugar addiction".

:noway:
  • LePetitCochon
    Options
    gorilla_leaves_thread.gif
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Besides, sure, I can deny him all sugary products but then he will probably just turn into an adult who has zero self control when it comes to sugar. I've known a lot of people like this and they're rationality is "Well, I didn't get as a kid so I can just pig out now!" And, sadly, all of these people are overweight. Yeah, I'm not doing that to my kid.

That happened to my cousins. Growing up, we had a snack drawer at home. My cousins were not allowed to have sweets except for holidays, and they would come to our house and clean out the snack drawer. I even remember one of my cousins eating an whole box of hostess ding dongs and making himself sick.

Better to let kid enjoy them on the holidays and in moderation the rest of the year. As long as they eat a balanced diet, it's not going to 'harm' them.

I disagree with the first statement than deny him/her "all sugary products but then he will probably just turn into an adult who has zero self control."

Due to health reasons, I was not allowed to eat sweets or chocolate as a child, and I never developed a sweet tooth or have lack of self control. I still don't care for sweets, chocolates or cookies.

And I agree that parents should be asked if it is OK to offer their children ANY kind of food. You don't know if the children have foods restrictions, allergies or intolerance.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    I notice the op hasn't been back. :noway:
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    So, today...my 3 year old is having a pancake for breakfast. And after he gets done with school (where he will ONLY eat a pb&j sandwich and fruit), he is gonna have french fries. And at some point he will have a fruit snack with his gummy vitamin. After dinner (probably pizza bites or fish sticks) he's gonna have a cookie. Oh, and yogurt, applesauce, some more fruit, some 'juice' (water with a touch of 100% juice for flavor), and who know what else. Guess what: he's in the top 95% of the height and weight scales, and is healthy as an ox.

Maybe for that, he will have another cookie. =)

Not that I care, but you do realize that being in the 95% of height and weight means your kid is bigger than 95% of the kids out there?

What does that have to do with anything???

My son was always (and still is) over the 100% mark.. usually around 105% or higher.. for both height and weight.. since he was born. He's healthy, he's not overweight.

So he's bigger than all the boys his age plus some boys his age that will be or what? How does this even math?

There's this magical thing called genetics and it's plays a big part, I think. Usual days for my kid: half a bowl of oatmeal for breakfast, a pb&j or hot dog w/ chips for lunch, and corn/chicken/mashed potatoes (or something equally large) for dinner. Snacks will be cookies, candy, tons of teddy grahams and pretzels and fruit, a cup or two of nuts, and peanut butter crackers. Daily drinks for him are 3 cups of whole milk, a cup of juice, and tons of water. End result? Pssh, we're just NOW reaching 21.4 pounds/30 inches at 1 1/2 years old. Also, he's pretty much identical to my husband who thrives on nothing but junk and hasn't gained a pound in over ten years. And I also cannot keep my kid sitting still... even in sleep he thrashes around a lot. Some kids are bigger than others and some kids are smaller than others even if they're on a healthy diet. BIG DEAL.

Riiiight. But that doesn't explain the other person's assertion that her son was in the 105th percentile for height and weight.
    Yeeeaaah, that's not how math works. Even if somehow she was able to measure that he was the absolute tallest and heaviest kid in his age group, he would be the 100th percentile. This kind of measurement cannot go above 100%.

But as I mentioned in my previous comment, the charts are static. Someone just referencing the chart, noticing that their child is off the top of the chart is going to assume a 100+n percentile if they are not familiar with how the math works. Populations change, charts don't update, and so you will always get outliers that are 'off the charts'. Maybe the next published charts will include her kid, and he'll now be in the 100th percentile as shown on the chart as well as in reality.

Just being bad at math doesn't automatically presuppose that the child isn't as tall/heavy as they are claiming.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Dogs and art and cartoons (also bad for kids).

Cartoon_Dog_Poker_by_PixelBunny.gif
  • iamanadult
    iamanadult Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    And PLEASE people, don't stay quiet if you feel you could be witnessing this child abuse. Does your neighbors child often have a red tongue? orange fingers? maybe they're a little hyper?

These are ALL signs that these children are being harmed with candy. We can turn a blind eye or we can do something about it! Call child protective services. It's better to be safe than to wonder "what if?".
  • emczech5
    emczech5 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    It's the holidays, let the kid have a cookie!

However because food allergies are a real thing, I do agree that if parents are around you should ask for their permission or parents should let dietary wishes and needs be known upfront. I use to be in charge of the nursery at my church. kids 18 months to 3 years old, which included a snack time. One day we decided to give the kids little peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, and low and behold one of the kids had an allergic reaction (luckily a very mild one) The parent never told us she was allergic to peanuts. This experienced scared me so much that I didn't let my oldest child have peanut butter until he was almost two and I'm a lot more careful with other peoples kids now, but I don't necessarily think it shouldn't be my responsibility to find out if you child as an allergy if you are putting me in charge of feeding your child.

Of course if people used a little more common sense we wouldn't see stories like these. You don't give peanuts or nuts of any kind to a baby!
    I am not so worried that my kids would be on their sixth cookie, but that someone may give them an allergen. My kids are lucky they are not allergic to anything but my niece was 6 months old and someone at a holiday party thought it was a good idea to "sneak her a taste" of a peanut butter cup. Needless to say it was a fun holiday night spent at the ER for their family. Turns out she is allergic to peanuts. You just never know so better safe than sorry.
    This is my youngest brother almost exactly! It is heartbreaking to see all those needles being stuck in a baby who is struggling to breath.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    It doesn't bother me at all when relatives fed my kids. It's the holidays and they knew it was a special occasion and that when we were at home, that's not the way we eat. Unlike me, my kids did not grow up fat, but at a very healthy weight. So I don't think Christmas cookies (even six) are going to make a kid fat.

Everything in moderation. And I think its very, very important to teach kids moderation.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    And PLEASE people, don't stay quiet if you feel you could be witnessing this child abuse. Does your neighbors child often have a red tongue? orange fingers? maybe they're a little hyper?

These are ALL signs that these children are being harmed with candy. We can turn a blind eye or we can do something about it! Call child protective services. It's better to be safe than to wonder "what if?".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEWgDFT7c9c
  • rml_16
    Options
    Besides, sure, I can deny him all sugary products but then he will probably just turn into an adult who has zero self control when it comes to sugar. I've known a lot of people like this and they're rationality is "Well, I didn't get as a kid so I can just pig out now!" And, sadly, all of these people are overweight. Yeah, I'm not doing that to my kid.

That happened to my cousins. Growing up, we had a snack drawer at home. My cousins were not allowed to have sweets except for holidays, and they would come to our house and clean out the snack drawer. I even remember one of my cousins eating an whole box of hostess ding dongs and making himself sick.

Better to let kid enjoy them on the holidays and in moderation the rest of the year. As long as they eat a balanced diet, it's not going to 'harm' them.

I disagree with the first statement than deny him/her "all sugary products but then he will probably just turn into an adult who has zero self control."

Due to health reasons, I was not allowed to eat sweets or chocolate as a child, and I never developed a sweet tooth or have lack of self control. I still don't care for sweets, chocolates or cookies.

And I agree that parents should be asked if it is OK to offer their children ANY kind of food. You don't know if the children have foods restrictions, allergies or intolerance.
    I think that when a child understands he or she can't have certain foods due to health issues, it's a different reaction than kids who are denied treats simply because the parents are sugar nazis.
  • Whereismycoffee
    Whereismycoffee Posts: 130 Member
    Options

I just had to laugh at this one, thank you for the chuckle. :laugh:

I was reading this as my friends toddler ran by with a smudge of chocolate on her cheek. She just stole a sip of mom's hot cocoa. That's it I'm calling DFCS, chocolate abuse!!!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    This might be allowed...

puritan-stew.jpg
  • iamanadult
    iamanadult Posts: 709 Member
    Options

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEWgDFT7c9c

Okay, now I have to reapply my mascara :(
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    That sixth cookie is vital. If a child eats six cookies in one day, ESPECIALLY DURING THE HOLIDAYS, it can be deadly.

Educate yourselves!

Isn't that in the same list as

Don't expose them to bright lights.

Don't get them wet.

And never ever feed them after midnight?
    Yeah. Don't do those things, either.

They'll get really fat if you feed them after midnight.

WRONG They'll turn into Gremlins! :tongue:
  • rml_16
    Options
    That sixth cookie is vital. If a child eats six cookies in one day, ESPECIALLY DURING THE HOLIDAYS, it can be deadly.

Educate yourselves!

Isn't that in the same list as

Don't expose them to bright lights.

Don't get them wet.

And never ever feed them after midnight?
    Yeah. Don't do those things, either.

They'll get really fat if you feed them after midnight.

WRONG They'll turn into Gremlins! :tongue:
    Fat gremlins.