Losing weight in my buttox? NOT GOOD

Options

Replies

• lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Hahahaha
    I'm so annoyed with these weightlifting yuppies.
    If you don't want stamina for **** go ahead ..
    Otherwise do Pilates and stick with some cardio(it's amazing how well it tones your body).

=experience/track runner.

Huh. I ran track, too, and we did squats, leg curls, and leg extensions. But yeah, weights totally don't have any place in running, let alone helping someone get a butt.

OP: Squats. Lunges. Hip thrusts. Glute bridges.

Where did the OP say that her goal was to build more stamina or to be a better runner?
  • Imogen_Love
    Options
    Do you want a big butt?
  • tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    weighted deadlifts and stairs (they both work the same muscle, but each way). that's what worked for me. I don't have a booty, much, anymore. but I have perky glutes. ;) of STEEL!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Hahahaha
    Otherwise do Pilates and stick with some cardio(it's amazing how well it tones your body).

lolwut?
    You people need to stop telling everyone tthat only lifting weights will get you to your goal when in fact not everyone wants/needs to.:)

Sorry friend....When somebody says I want to be skinny/thin/other adjective....I agree weights is not required for everyone

When someone specifically asks how to increase the size of a muscle...yes progressively overloading that muscle to force adaptation and eating for such goals is the answer

Well that is just crazy talk.

Right. We're not even talking about a complex side of this stuff. Anybody wanting to shape,tone,lift,tighten, tuck, whatever, is describing a change in skeletal muscle, and that requires intense muscular load and eating to support it. ///

I mean just go do sprints right. Ever seen a sprinter that didn't have glutes? Same reason people are talking about skating. It's a ton of gluteal extension. Now find a high level sprinter or skater that eats at a deficit. Don't hold your breath. They eat to support the added mass(sculpting or toning, this is what you're doing, adding mass to the muscle) The problem is that how practical is it for a person to incorporate sprinting or skating or biking into their life?

More people bike the world over than weight lift. But never mind that, your last sentence is the fulcrum - the practical solution is to add the activity that is practical and allows for consistent practice and is aligned to your overall total goals. If one enjoys practicing a specific sport or activity - without detracting from it, weight lifting does not substitute the learned neurological adaptation of practicing the movements of that activity.
    Hahahaha

I know exactly how you feel. I feel the same way with pilates yuppies. Low intensity bastardized yoga, marketed for women because women's body respond differently to metabolic and neuromuscular stressors, right?

Pilates will "tone" your whatever because it's loaded muscle. Why not achieve your goal ten times faster by adding ten times more intensity and eat accordingly to ones goals.

Stamina? For what jogging? Do some front squats, glute bridges, dead lifts, box jumps… That will build real stamina that blows a typical mile or two jog out of the water, not just stamina to move an elliptical or jog. Plus the metabolism is potentially further increased where as lame cardio for endurance has been shown to lower metabolic rate. PLUS, ANOTHER PLUS, is that you're still working the targeted area and creating change faster, if eating is appropriate.

And again, Pilates or cardio will do nothing if the systems aren't fed properly.

People feel some kind of way about "weightlifting" when it's proven time and time again. What it boils down to is females wanted to tell other females some weak sauce or lazier way to make something happen. And as long as you all repeat it, the people that research this stuff for a living are going to criticize the nonsense advice as it should be criticized especially when the rationale is scientifically incorrect.

20 years experience as a misogynist trainer and dietary consultant.

FIFY - 1/10 would not hire.

Glad to see you got your ire out but it's insulting to the women here that are working hard and not about being "weaksauce" or looking for a "lazier way".

Goal-oriented activity and selection of activity that drives consistency are just as important as the exercise itself.
    Sure, I believe that squats, glute bridges, etc (and the associated diet) are the most efficient ways of working for a nice butt, however there is absolutely nothing wrong with a program based on other activity if that is your pleasure.

Inline skating, track cycling, mountain biking, stair climbers are all cardio based activity that drive glute use. And while they might not be the most efficient program for butt growth, the most efficient program is the one you do regularly.

So when people here provide different options, rather than belittling them it might be more useful to try to balance between theoretical effectiveness and what people actually do. I personally loath pilates and even if was the worlds best exercise would not do it. The same preferences can be attached to any program...

Your monobloc thinking is monobloc.

Misogynist ???? I take great offense to that even though it is laughable. So you tell me what I said that is misogynist? Go ahead tell me. You can call me a lot of things but misogynist is not one of them. Did you not read? My point is that the female physiological response is basically the same as a male, and to make them think otherwise has caused mass confusion.

The female has been belittled enough in this industry. They are equal. Stop trying to coddle females when it comes to fitness and their work and goals. People like you are the reason why the industry is the way it is. That's what one of my points are. You want to say what people want to hear, I want to say what is important for the goal. We're not talking about what women can do to get in shape, we're talking about building or shaping the *kitten*! Sure more people bike. The OP was asking for alternatives to cardio, and you all are yapping about this or that. If she's doing cardio already and not overweight, what is biking going to do to shape her *kitten* especially if she doesn't grasp the importance of dietary intake and hypertrophy?

This is the crap people have to deal with in this industry when speaking about the nonsense. You can talk about something that I said or stated, like being a weight lifting yuppy. But don't call me a false title based on your shortcomings of understandings. That crossed the line of a personal attack in my book. Now I either want an apology or a retraction of your misogynist statement. You tell me what I said that is misogynist.

You come here guns firing and telling everyone that its about females telling females about some "weaksauce" or "lazier" method -- so if you are offended you only have your generalizations to blame. It's there in bold, your words.

As to your point on "female physiology" being basically the same is truly so spacious I could park a damn 747 in there. I won't belittle your knowledge by explaining a variety of physiological responses that vary from pain sensation to the obvious testosterone or even osteoporosis risk factors which are all gender influenced. I imagine that you mean something rather basic like "women/men should exercise and that exercise should include some sort of progressive strength training" or did you have something else in mind?

As to "people like me" - I really don't know what you are talking about or think I am selling? I actually simply believe that individuals (not male or female) have a variety of sports/fitness goals and are best served by considering how weight training fits into them and that it is not the same end-all-be-all-for-all. I truly don't see the issue there but feel free to explain who "people like me" are - I am always looking for me peers.

The OP was NOT asking for cardio alternatives. She wasn't asking to STOP. She might very much enjoy it. The only place that this equation is ONLY one or the other is in your head. You started the arguments around "wasting her time". She was asking about how to reduce the effects of weight loss specifically in a muscle group and while I agree that weight training is the most efficient method, it's not the only one nor necessarily the most accessible for ALL individuals. At the risk of bringing in personla info, one of my daughters dislikes weight training very much - she practices fencing, climbing and circus acrobatics to an extent that places her where she want to be with her body. Tell her "but you must do weighted squats in the gym" would be stupid. Goals, attitude and personal preference have a role.

As to what the OP grasps or not - boy, do you come across as arrogant. It isn't my fault that what you post is constructed as poor generalizations. "People like me, the industry, women" and so on. I am sorry that your blaze-in-the-face position, with such overt arrogance to the the OP "wasting her time with cardio" or "lazy" women results in an attitude which can be correctly labelled as less than egalitarian. Are you like this in real life? I don't know nor do I in anyway suggest that is the case, I do underline that your words and attitude in your post you come across as such. Good luck.

TL;DR? No insult is intended, you damn yourself by the words you use to describe women doing cardio/pilates/whatever as promoters of "weak sauce or lazier way".

Responding as one of women who, according to the self proclaimed misogynistic trainer, is apparently not weak or lazy as I lift and do no cardio, Evgeni's advice is spot on. He also is far more encouraging to women (and men) than someone who posts condescending, generalized and insulting diatribes aimed at women.

Resistance training is important for a variety of reasons, but lifting heavy arsed weights is not the only way to reap benefits, and often will not yield the benefits at all, for example, if someone does not like doing it.

Talk about going from the ridiculous to the sublime. You have some person, with an obvious chip on their shoulder saying that they are annoyed with weightlifting yuppies, and then you have an equally extreme response that is pretty silly (and patronizing) as it does not take into account context...at all.

It really is not that complicated and I have no idea why it is so polarizing.

- incorporate resistance training, whatever that type be, based on your preferences and resources
    - if you want to gain mass in a specific area, you need to providing stimulus by way of progressive loading and weight lifting training is generally the most effective/efficient, but not the only, way of doing that.

- if you want to do cardio...do it.
    - if you like pilates/zumba/yoga/pilloxing/prancersize...do it (well, maybe not the last two)

I hate to throw a cliche out there...but the phrase 'the best exercise is the one you will do' is pretty much one that needs to be considered.

This is completely false. Sorry. It is. I will do a video and post it back into the forums later. And before TLDR takes over the weak sauce and lazy brains of SOME, not all males and females read this: THe simple solution to any of the internet forum wannabe super trainers is simple. Write her a program! Do it. It will only take a minute. Go ask any person with two brain cells to read her question and write her a program. Write her a program and post it up!

"everyone doesn't like lifting heavy" You're right. Therefore everyone won't build or add size to a given area or group without doing 1000 reps like a male full of testosterone and that's a freak, like Herschel Walker. Sure you can add some size through high Time Under Tension…and if you're female it's going to be even harder due to hormonal restrictions, but the mechanisms by which change occurs are the same for male or female. I don't care if you're male or female. And this goes to evegni or whoever else who believes this. Unfortunately I've had way more important stuff to do and didn't get to reply. But to anyone still hanging around this nonsense part of the post, I will be doing a video reply and I will be sharing it soon, not just for this forum but for the planet.

A chip on my shoulder or whatever you want to say. I know it's hard to know how someone is saying something on an internet forum or whatever, but if you're not sure, or if you think you're sure, then you still have an option to ask for clarification or double check before throwing a word out that is supremely hateful.

Now what if the best workout that a person can do is stairclimber or 5 lb kickbacks or even body weight squats . Then without regard to to dietary intake….? I'm about truth and effectiveness and not trying to get internet hugs and smiley faces. Stop throwing out nonsense to people. You don't have to workout with your maximum weight or 80 or 90 percent of it. But you find me someone that says you can add muscle mass of any noticeable amount by working out and doing "whatever you can stick to" without regard to macronutrient intake, which was my original interjection, and I'll laugh at that and tell anyone who agrees with it that you simply don't understand even the basics of physiology. Sorry, if you can't do the work it takes to achieve a certain goal, then understand that. There's no judgment in that, that's fine. But understand what you're trying to accomplish and know what it takes to make that happen then set your workout and intake accordingly. Or just lose weight and see if your butt loos better to you. People try to eat and a achieve a goal that is IMPOSSIBLE based on their intake, and IMPOSSIBLE based o their workout. Male or female, adding mass of any quality occurs one way. Try to circumvent that and fall into the pile of people who waste time and fail. Thats totally ok, too, but just don't wonder why.

Now write that program! You know what mine will be, it will fall inline with all the OTHER people that said the truth, minus the extra entertainment that I added.

Lovely diatribe...now what exactly is your issue, except for lacking any context whatsoever? Also, reread what I wrote (hint...the chip on your shoulder was not aimed at you). I also highlighted the point I made - the one you seem to have a bug up your butt about - what exactly do you disagree with? You are so eager to argue, posture and spout rhetoric that you actually misread what I wrote. Ironic heh?

I feel that this insane an confusing infiniquotes with it's two areas of concentration and starting out quite dense with the quotes and then tapering off to less and less dense is perfectly placed in a thread about diminishing buttox. That is all. Carry on.
  • grillnchill
    grillnchill Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Squats, squats and more squats! :)
  • ThatDivaKeedie
    ThatDivaKeedie Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Not that I'm happy about your situation. However, I'm glad that you posted this topic. I am having the same issue. So much that I've stopped cardio altogether. I keep losing due to my diet. But I am almost tempted to start eating again to bulk up enough butt to start this journey from another direction. From this point on...toning is my focus. I am laying off of cardio for a while. I figure that as long as I'm active, my weight loss goals will be met because fat will still burn. I just want to keep my curves...especially my derrier!!!

Good luck!
  • shiggins110
    Options
    SQUAT TILL YOU DROOP THO
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Heavy lifting! Especially squats.

^^^ this

worked for me. zero butt to squat butt. :drinker: squats, deadlifts + eating at a surplus
  • PersonalTrainerAndy
    Options
    Lots of deep squats and lunges. Try for 2 days of heavy squats a week. Try to break parallel when squatting, the deeper you go, the more you build
  • amylynnadelman
    Options
    Thank You ! I bought Bret's book Strong Curves.
  • supermodelchic
    supermodelchic Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    heavy walking lunges, heavy squats... unless you are really overweight cut back on the cardio, focus on building muscle...the *kitten* will come :)
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    I want to tone my legs and *kitten* but I feel like my *kitten* is disappearing from all the cardio I'm doing……. I've cut back because I still want to slim my waist, etc…. Help?

Cut the cardio, and lift weights.
    Squat is your friend
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Hahahaha

Huh. I ran track, too, and we did squats, leg curls, and leg extensions. But yeah, weights totally don't have any place in running, let alone helping someone get a butt.

OP: Squats. Lunges. Hip thrusts. Glute bridges.

Where did the OP say that her goal was to build more stamina or to be a better runner?

What part of me specifically quoting and addressing someone, than specifying the OP in another statement, did you not understand?
  • shapefitter
    shapefitter Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    To buttox
    :drinker:
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    I also was plagued with the flat cardio butt. I have been doing squats and lunges for a few months now and I love my new butt. Of course it isn't "finished" but I love how it sticks out instead of having a flat man butt.
  • furrina
    furrina Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Front step ups with weights on a bench/box about knee height.

in addition to squats, split/romanian squats, lunges, dead lifts, box jumps, bridges, ball bridges, etc etc. that everybody else suggested.

also running actually is pretty good for building the butt but sprints and HIIT I think work it better than just jogging.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    less cardio more squats...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Squats with weights in high heels.

negative....
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options