Why do people care so much about height ?

Options

Replies

• jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    And, when it comes to attraction it is abundantly clear that short men get the sh*tty end of a very sh*tty stick. They have as much right to complain at this state of affairs as the cute but fat girl does about her slimmer peers getting all the play in bars...

Complaining about being less attractive because of height is pointless. It's like missing a limb. Something you can simulate through prosthetics, but can't change. Just focus on things that can improve.

A cute girl complaining about being less attractive because of fat has physical situation that can be remedied.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    And, when it comes to attraction it is abundantly clear that short men get the sh*tty end of a very sh*tty stick. They have as much right to complain at this state of affairs as the cute but fat girl does about her slimmer peers getting all the play in bars...

Complaining about being less attractive because of height is pointless. It's like missing a limb. Something you can simulate through prosthetics, but can't change. Just focus on things that can improve.

A cute girl complaining about being less attractive because of fat has physical situation that can be remedied.

I don't think it is pointless in that given additional positive associations given to tall / good looking / whatever are unconscious then talking about the issues rationally and out in the open may cause people to question why they do so. This may then consciously cause them to think maybe they are missing out on potentially great partners for no rational reason and re evaluate things. Complaining may be a bit pointless but open dialogue is not.

True about the cute, fat girl though. Probably not a fair comparison especially as it seems that short guys suffer from vastly reduced chances for something arbitrary and not in their control.
  • lizfiz50
    lizfiz50 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I could never date a guy that's smaller than me. Just makes me feel like the queen of hearts and her husband. I'm a big tall brunette, just doesn't feel right.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Why do so many people care about what other people care about?

:drinker:
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I don't have a problem with being petite. Was this directed at everyone or just for men? People have always complimented me for being cute, tiny, petite, and seen it in a positive way for many reasons. As a dancer I was told it was a plus, actually. Sometimes people think the grass is greener on the other side of whatever they are and other people love their body for the positives of it and would love it even if they were different because they just see the positive in their body and embrace that. Many people have a mixture of the two and have a love/hate relationship with their body.
  • tehboxingkitteh
    tehboxingkitteh Posts: 1,574 Member
    Options

5)Put the dictionary down, you're alienating most of your target audience.

This is from a short Italian man btw.

OMG :heart: :laugh:

(from short Italian woman)
    I heart both of you.

Also, I haven't dated a taller man in 8 years. I miss wearing heels out on dates.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    Three words: Little-Man-Ego!!:sad:
    Otherwise as a tall girl, I have dated several short men, and they are the ones who have the problem with it... so now I refuse to date anyone who doesn't at least match my height... and the taller the better :yum:

Judging from the vacuousness of these posts, something tells me that the men you've dated had more problems with you than your height.
  • abheshek
    abheshek Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    There is a reason chicks don't dig you, and it has nothing to do with your height.

Do you think i wrote this post to find a woman for me ? :bigsmile: :laugh:

I imagine most men would be equally turned off.

Well i had taken into consideration about getting some negative responses while starting this topic.

I am not being negative with you at all.

You're saying some very unpleasant things and conveying an attitude that is offensive to most people.

It's not your height.

Thats your point of view.
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    My husband is shorter than me(5'4 to my 5'5). I find very tall men intimidating because they tower over me and it makes me uncomfortable. My previous boyfriend I had was only 2 inches taller than me, so that was okay. I really do tend to like short men, and most my lady friends find that weird about me.
  • abheshek
    Options
    But what i meant by "criticizing a fat person" is simply saying things like "do something about your obesity or else it would wreck your health".I never used the words like "inferior","subservient","menial" to address fat people.

actually what you said was
    i deserved each an every insulting rants directed at me because i became fat because of my own deeds and bad choices
    which translates into you thinking it is perfectly acceptable to spew insults at fat people. stop trying to backtrack and make it seem like you meant something else.

My later statement manifests the former one.Insulting someone does not mean using xenophobic words.Being called an elephant is different from being called a subhuman.The former is an insult(that too depends on your profundity) while the later one is simply bigotry.
  • abheshek
    Options
    OP I would suggest you stop worrying about your physical height and try being less of a mental midget.

I give shoe dust worth importance to my height.My next goal is to deadlift 500 lbs :bigsmile: :laugh: :tongue:
  • arcana7609
    arcana7609 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Height is really important because my ceilings are very high and I can't reach the top of my cabinets so my boyfriend being tall is important otherwise I'd have a lot of unused space. :laugh:
  • F00LofaT00K
    F00LofaT00K Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    While strolling through MFP forums i noticed people's monomania with height & their proclamation of how lucky they are to be tall and the numero uno thing they see in in prospective date/spouse is height.

I don't understand this fixation over elevation as if being tall is like enthroned with superhuman abilities and being short is akin to being castigated to a life of mediocrity.

Ofcourse height gives an edge in many arenas, especially sports, but one should not deduce that short people are subservient.

Pillorying someone for being plump is intelligible but lambasting someone for being short is pure bigotry because unlike weight your height is not under your control as it has more to do with genetics.

Not to mention Gandhi,Martin luther king,Tom Cruise,Woody Allen,Napoleon Bonaparte,Bono,Robert Downey Jr.,Anthony Hopkins,Dustin hoffman achieved eminence despite being diminutive.

As for short people being physically inferior you should read about Gurkhas of British & Indian army and how these 5'0 lilliputians decimated monstrously tall Germans and Italians in WW2. On many occasion they single handedly turned the tide towards allied forces.So fearsome were they that it is said that axis soldiers wet their fronts and yellowed their backs on merely hearing the word "gurkha" .

I have also read of people as short as 5'1-5'2 completing BUD/SEAL training with flying colors.

So one should get off his condescending view of "tall =superior" .

I don't know any people at all who feel that their height makes them superior... and the men in my large family are usually over 6 feet tall so my network of tall people is vast. Nobody that I know has ever expressed the opinion that short people are inferior and can't do things as well as tall people. In fact, I'm convinced that if I brought it up in conversation, they would look confused. You're clearly upset over a very minute population who feel tall=superior and that really just makes it look like YOU feel inferior because of your height.... or at the very least self-conscious. And this begs the question: Why do you care what a VERY tiny group of ignorant people think? Just do you and forget everybody else. As for women looking for height as the number one quality in a man, I disagree. Vehemently. I've listened to my female friends prattle on about what they want in a man and very few even mention height. Some do, yes. And most of my lady-friends date men who are taller than themselves (me included) but that doesn't mean they would never date somebody shorter. Personally, I am attracted to taller men but that doesn't mean I won't date somebody shorter. I was interested in somebody 2 inches shorter than me for a while but we never got around to dating because I was TOO TALL. My boyfriend is the shortest guy I've ever dated (5'7") and I see a million and one characteristics that attract me to him... but height isn't one of them. If he was tall, I would see a million and two. Just because somebody prefers tall, doesn't mean they REQUIRE tall. I'd like to think most women value character over height anyway.... If somebody feels height is more important than quality of character: Who needs them?
  • abheshek
    Options

Pillorying someone for being plump is intelligible but lambasting someone for being short is pure bigotry because unlike weight your height is not under your control as it has more to do with genetics.

Biased, much? "Oh, height is genetics, but weight isn't." Sorry to tell you this, but genetics plays a role in weight as well. Frankly, it sounds like this is your form of a denunciation. You're character assassinating people because they happen to be attracted to someone who is a little taller than average? It doesn't make sense.

Furthermore, why would it be "intelligible," to vituperate someone for being overweight? It wouldn't.

Agreed that genetics plays a role in your weight but atleast you can do some thing about it which is not the case with height..

I was never "character assassinating" people who preferred tall people.It's your life and only you can decide whats right for you.

What i was saying is that "people should not look down upon short people as inferior" as they are neither inferior physically nor mentally.
  • abheshek
    Options
    ah

BUT

is it okay to find people not attractive because they sound extremely self righteous?

yeah! i don't mind it if you comprehend that way.
  • abheshek
    Options
    As a former obese person i must say that i deserved each an every insulting rants directed at me because i became fat because of my own deeds and bad choices.

No; this is ridiculous. Bad choices do not open the door for everyone in the universe to insult or rant at you.

if you commit a crime,would you mind if some one called you a criminal ? and before you say i called fat people as criminal i must clarify that i used the term only as an analogy.
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    Thin line between cocky and confident.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    Oh who the eff cares. I'm 4' 10 1/2". Everyone is taller than me. If someone has a problem with that, that's fine. There are plenty of people who don't.

But no, it's never okay to ridicule someone. Whether it's about height, weight, other. It all comes down to you're the a**hole. You can be the most physically perfect person in existance (which by the way is entirely subjective), but ridiculing someone instantly makes you ugly.
  • TakingControl13
    Options
    Im 5'0 and dont mind it at all. I just dont like my weight cause im considered obese because of height. =/
  • ChancyW
    ChancyW Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Why do so many people care about what other people care about?

This.