How is it prisoners build muscles on junk no macro watching

Options

Replies

• geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    I think your definitions of what's healthy and what's not are too rigid. But you do need to clarify your goals so you can determine what the appropriate amount of calories you should eat to get to where you want to be.

Edit: If that is your goal, then you can simply use a TDEE calculator and eat about 20% less than the number given for a month or two while consistently using a digital food scale for everything you eat. As long as you eat below your maintenance, you're going to reduce fat mass. After you drop your body fat percentage, if you aren't satisfied with the shape of your butt, then you can possibly consider doing a bulk to increase muscle to your glutes.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    And….FYI, when you actually add new muscle mass…you are going to add some new fat as well. No way around it. So…if you aren't looking to see the scale go up, bulking isn't for you right now.

But, honestly….2400 calories is not that hard. It's hard if you try to do it all on chicken and broccoli….but then what fun would a bulk be if you did that??

I might be looking at this all wrong. I'm not trying to really bulk.

I'm trying to tone my butt and make it shapelier. I alreAdy do squats etc, ... Maybe I don't know wth I'm talking about.

Yeah I was just about to ask what your actual goals are.....I think you are getting the concept of *revealing* your muscle with *building* new muscle confused.

In any event, how you are going to do that is with a calorie deficit. So if your maintenance is at 2400 then you could go to 1900 even a bit lower if you like. Eat a good amount of protein. I happen to like 120-140g/day and get yourself on a solid strength training routine. Make sure you are progressing in your strength routine as well (ie, increasing weight, increasing reps, increasing sets). You can add cardio in for heart health if you enjoy it, but ultimately you want to lose fat and retain the muscle you have which requires a caloric deficit and strength training. Be honest, be consistent and you will get results.
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Guess what? You know siht. so shut up;; they feed them like 70 % carb so go back to school you loser
    what are you, twelve?

no drunk BIG difference

Lol! Not worried about this drunk bish... Lol... Everyone is tough online. ..

Next!!!!!!!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    what makes you think they weren't watching their macros?

Because they are not the type of people who think of fitness like that. Lol

Think of fitness like what? They lifted, they ate, they sat around and didn't expend unnecessary calories. That's pretty much the entire list for getting huge.
  • Sreneesa
    Options
    And….FYI, when you actually add new muscle mass…you are going to add some new fat as well. No way around it. So…if you aren't looking to see the scale go up, bulking isn't for you right now.

But, honestly….2400 calories is not that hard. It's hard if you try to do it all on chicken and broccoli….but then what fun would a bulk be if you did that??

I'm trying to tone my butt and make it shapelier. I alreAdy do squats etc, ... Maybe I don't know wth I'm talking about.

Yeah I was just about to ask what your actual goals are.....I think you are getting the concept of *revealing* your muscle with *building* new muscle confused.

In any event, how you are going to do that is with a calorie deficit. So if your maintenance is at 2400 then you could go to 1900 even a bit lower if you like. Eat a good amount of protein. I happen to like 120-140g/day and get yourself on a solid strength training routine. Make sure you are progressing in your strength routine as well (ie, increasing weight, increasing reps, increasing sets). You can add cardio in for heart health if you enjoy it, but ultimately you want to lose fat and retain the muscle you have which requires a caloric deficit and strength training. Be honest, be consistent and you will get results.

Thank you so much!

Right now I just upped my calories to 1840 frm 1480. The 1840 includes exercise.

So glad I put this thread up and was able to get good info from all of you! Thx!
  • Matt24442
    Options

Think of fitness like what? They lifted, they ate, they sat around and didn't expend unnecessary calories. That's pretty much the entire list for getting huge.

occasionally got into a fight or two as well
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Based on what you have written and your goals - you should not be bulking.

Eat at a reasonable caloric deficit and do a good progressive loading strength training routine.

I f logging stresses you - then don't do it (your results mat not be 'optimal, but they can be beneficial). Focus on getting plenty of protein. If you are worried about getting enough calories - use oils and eat nuts and full fat dairy to top up your intake..and of course some ice cream (assuming you generally have a good amount of nutrient dense foods also).
  • Pandora_King
    Options
    I think your definitions of what's healthy and what's not are too rigid. But you do need to clarify your goals so you can determine what the appropriate amount of calories you should eat to get to where you want to be.

Edit: If that is your goal, then you can simply use a TDEE calculator and eat about 20% less than the number given for a month or two while consistently using a digital food scale for everything you eat. As long as you eat below your maintenance, you're going to reduce fat mass. After you drop your body fat percentage, if you aren't satisfied with the shape of your butt, then you can possibly consider doing a bulk to increase muscle to your glutes.

SCREW TDEE!!! I TRIED THAT AND IT DIDN'T WORK.... IT MADE ME GAIN WEIGHT! NOW IJUST COUNT CALS AND I LOSE WEIGHT EVERY WEEK.,
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    "Dirty" secret time. When bulking, it really doesn't matter what you eat, as long as you get enough calories in. Eating enough carbs and fat while bulking means that whatever protein you eat will be used for building muscle, and not for energy, so you actually need less protein while bulking than you do when cutting. It's really when you're cutting that you need to be on the ball with macros, while bulking, you don't really need to pay that much attention to it.

*I'm talking about the average person here, athletes will always need more protein, even when bulking.
  • Sreneesa
    Options

You asked me how do I know if they weren't watching they macros. The term macros isn't used and they don't sit around talking about how much protein fats and carbs they ate today. They don't workout now ! Lol

They didn't think they acted. That is what I meant in response to your question .
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

Actually cardio is a great way to stay healthy AND create a deficit. That's what I do, along with a little resistance training.
  • Pandora_King
    Options
    I know everyone always knocks prison food, but it is supposed to be balanced and follow a set of food safety standards. I think it's 50% CHO, 20% prot, and 30% fat don't quote me on that though along with any extras they are allowed.

Combine the hours of lifting with 3 square meals a day you get some massive dudes.

Good question BTW.

yOU THINK! you don't know
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I pulled this from Arizona corrections, but I thought it was interesting...

http://www.azcorrections.gov/hlthsvc_rfp/diet_ref_manual_may2008.pdf

wont let me copy paste

to summarize the average population for men is about 3100-2700kcal and women 2000-2400kcal those are the standards and it must meet RDA along with the dietary guidelines from USDA and HHS

pg 14
  • Sreneesa
    Options
    I think I found the title of my next book: The Prison Diet: How to Bulk Like a Criminal

Lol! That had me literally crack up! Go for it! Hehe
  • QuietBloom
    Options

SCREW TDEE!!! I TRIED THAT AND IT DIDN'T WORK.... IT MADE ME GAIN WEIGHT! NOW IJUST COUNT CALS AND I LOSE WEIGHT EVERY WEEK.,

Does being drunk make you type in all caps? At any rate, you obviously weren't doing the TDEE calcs correctly, or you weren't doing your exercise.

Be sure and log these drinks tonight, OK? 'nite.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

How were you doing TDEE that you didn't count calories?
  • Sreneesa
    Options
    I pulled this from Arizona corrections, but I thought it was interesting...

http://www.azcorrections.gov/hlthsvc_rfp/diet_ref_manual_may2008.pdf

wont let me copy paste

to summarize the average population for men is about 3100-2700kcal and women 2000-2400kcal those are the standards and it must meet RDA along with the dietary guidelines from USDA and HHS

pg 14

Interesting! Thank you!
  • QuietBloom
    Options
    "Dirty" secret time. When bulking, it really doesn't matter what you eat, as long as you get enough calories in. Eating enough carbs and fat while bulking means that whatever protein you eat will be used for building muscle, and not for energy, so you actually need less protein while bulking than you do when cutting. It's really when you're cutting that you need to be on the ball with macros, while bulking, you don't really need to pay that much attention to it.

*I'm talking about the average person here, athletes will always need more protein, even when bulking.

Interesting... Makes sense.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Actually cardio is a great way to stay healthy AND create a deficit. That's what I do, along with a little resistance training.

But overall, the OP is focused more on body recomposition - which is done with strength/resistance training.