How is it prisoners build muscles on junk no macro watching

Options

Replies

• QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I think your definitions of what's healthy and what's not are too rigid. But you do need to clarify your goals so you can determine what the appropriate amount of calories you should eat to get to where you want to be.

Edit: If that is your goal, then you can simply use a TDEE calculator and eat about 20% less than the number given for a month or two while consistently using a digital food scale for everything you eat. As long as you eat below your maintenance, you're going to reduce fat mass. After you drop your body fat percentage, if you aren't satisfied with the shape of your butt, then you can possibly consider doing a bulk to increase muscle to your glutes.

SCREW TDEE!!! I TRIED THAT AND IT DIDN'T WORK.... IT MADE ME GAIN WEIGHT! NOW IJUST COUNT CALS AND I LOSE WEIGHT EVERY WEEK.,

How were you doing TDEE that you didn't count calories?

You know that we are being bad by talking to her, right? :bigsmile: I'm trying to stop, but my fingers just keep typing...

Train wreck and all that.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I think your definitions of what's healthy and what's not are too rigid. But you do need to clarify your goals so you can determine what the appropriate amount of calories you should eat to get to where you want to be.

Edit: If that is your goal, then you can simply use a TDEE calculator and eat about 20% less than the number given for a month or two while consistently using a digital food scale for everything you eat. As long as you eat below your maintenance, you're going to reduce fat mass. After you drop your body fat percentage, if you aren't satisfied with the shape of your butt, then you can possibly consider doing a bulk to increase muscle to your glutes.

SCREW TDEE!!! I TRIED THAT AND IT DIDN'T WORK.... IT MADE ME GAIN WEIGHT! NOW IJUST COUNT CALS AND I LOSE WEIGHT EVERY WEEK.,

Tried what with TDEE?
  • QuietBloom
    Options
    And….FYI, when you actually add new muscle mass…you are going to add some new fat as well. No way around it. So…if you aren't looking to see the scale go up, bulking isn't for you right now.

But, honestly….2400 calories is not that hard. It's hard if you try to do it all on chicken and broccoli….but then what fun would a bulk be if you did that??

I might be looking at this all wrong. I'm not trying to really bulk.

I'm trying to tone my butt and make it shapelier. I alreAdy do squats etc, ... Maybe I don't know wth I'm talking about.

Yeah I was just about to ask what your actual goals are.....I think you are getting the concept of *revealing* your muscle with *building* new muscle confused.

In any event, how you are going to do that is with a calorie deficit. So if your maintenance is at 2400 then you could go to 1900 even a bit lower if you like. Eat a good amount of protein. I happen to like 120-140g/day and get yourself on a solid strength training routine. Make sure you are progressing in your strength routine as well (ie, increasing weight, increasing reps, increasing sets). You can add cardio in for heart health if you enjoy it, but ultimately you want to lose fat and retain the muscle you have which requires a caloric deficit and strength training. Be honest, be consistent and you will get results.

Actually cardio is a great way to stay healthy AND create a deficit. That's what I do, along with a little resistance training.

But overall, the OP is focused more on body recomposition - which is done with strength/resistance training.

Is she? Because she still has a weight loss ticker with quite a bit still on it. I keep trying to find out what she is trying to do, but she isn't answering.
  • Pandora_King
    Options

I tried that and it didn't work. I gained weight. Now I eat 1500 cals a day never mind exercise cals and I lose 1 - 2 lbs a week. even thought my tdee is 1800 ish.
  • norcalbabe916
    Options
    i know how you feel who can eat 2400 calories in a day i know mine says 4200 for some reason i want to loose weight not gain lol
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

I tried that and it didn't work. I gained weight. Now I eat 1500 cals a day never mind exercise cals and I lose 1 - 2 lbs a week. even thought my tdee is 1800 ish.

I just looked at your diary for today....36 billion calories..in rum......I iz impressed.
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    And….FYI, when you actually add new muscle mass…you are going to add some new fat as well. No way around it. So…if you aren't looking to see the scale go up, bulking isn't for you right now.

But, honestly….2400 calories is not that hard. It's hard if you try to do it all on chicken and broccoli….but then what fun would a bulk be if you did that??

I'm trying to tone my butt and make it shapelier. I alreAdy do squats etc, ... Maybe I don't know wth I'm talking about.

Yeah I was just about to ask what your actual goals are.....I think you are getting the concept of *revealing* your muscle with *building* new muscle confused.

In any event, how you are going to do that is with a calorie deficit. So if your maintenance is at 2400 then you could go to 1900 even a bit lower if you like. Eat a good amount of protein. I happen to like 120-140g/day and get yourself on a solid strength training routine. Make sure you are progressing in your strength routine as well (ie, increasing weight, increasing reps, increasing sets). You can add cardio in for heart health if you enjoy it, but ultimately you want to lose fat and retain the muscle you have which requires a caloric deficit and strength training. Be honest, be consistent and you will get results.

Actually cardio is a great way to stay healthy AND create a deficit. That's what I do, along with a little resistance training.

Yes u think you are right about revealing muscle..

I run on treadmill for cardio and been doing shred with 5lb weights and during squats did 7.5 dumbbells today ... I do shred every other day to allow muscles to rest and running on treadmill for cardio on off days... Will be progressing with weights with squats....
  • Pandora_King
    Options

I just looked at your diary for today....36 billion calories..in rum......I iz impressed.

it was a joke I c hanged it
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    i know how you feel who can eat 2400 calories in a day i know mine says 4200 for some reason i want to loose weight not gain lol

Your what says 4,200? Most active 200lb guys would gain on that!

Oh, and I can eat 2,400 calories in a day.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Oh, I am glad you told me otherwise I would have thought it was serious.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

But overall, the OP is focused more on body recomposition - which is done with strength/resistance training.

Is she? Because she still has a weight loss ticker with quite a bit still on it. I keep trying to find out what she is trying to do, but she isn't answering.

She posted
    I'm trying to tone my butt and make it shapelier.

I think what happened is the OP was trying to figure out how to "build muscle while losing fat" and ended up coming across/focusing on the building muscle at a surplus. She got confused and hopefully she'll read some of the links, maybe do a bit more of her own research and she'll be able to get it straight. :)

I think what she wants to do is continue to lose weight but wants to retain as much muscle as possible. That's where the macro situation got thrown in too.
  • Pandora_King
    Options

oh WOW YOU LOST A WHOLE POUND! iM SO GLAD PEOPLE TAK E WEIGHT LOSS ADVICE FROM YOU
  • PikaKnight
    Options

Is that your TDEE to maintain? To do TDEE, you would pick the correct activity level and do -20% off your maintenance to get the calorie goal # to eat to lose.

Or go to IIFYM.com and use their calculator. They give you the option to pick 15-25% to lose and gives you the #s.

And as an extra note (for any lurkers or anyone that didn't know):

MFP is NEAT based and designed for its users to eat their exercise calories back.

TDEE includes exercise calories.
  • QuietBloom
    Options
    Thanks Joy_Joy_ :smile: I'm not drunk, but I am tired. I need to go to bed. LOL
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

oh WOW YOU LOST A WHOLE POUND! iM SO GLAD PEOPLE TAK E WEIGHT LOSS ADVICE FROM YOU

LMFAO...I lost a damn site more than that.. I have bulked since and cut and am now reversing to bulk again.

Maybe you should sober up before you make more of a fool of yourself.
  • Pandora_King
    Options

LMFAO...I lost a damn site more than that.. I have bulked since and cut and am now reversing to bulk again.

probably
  • PikaKnight
    Options

First - she has 1lb to go, not has lost 1lb.

Second - you just tried to insult one of the more knowledgeable people on MFP. Her and Sidesteel's Eat, Train, Progress group has even been recognized and tagged by MFP due to their knowledge, support, and positive influence.

Third - If anyone can help you understand bulking and cutting (not just from research but from experience) - it'd be Sara.

And last, just to throw it out there, Sara holds 2 state APA records for powerlifting (one being for a 325lb deadlift)...from her 1st ever Powerlifting competition.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1137702-sara-s-first-powerlifting-competition-pics-and-vids

So...
  • Pandora_King
    Options

probably

but that's what being drunk means! making a fool of yurslef. better online than in person right!
  • AZ_Gato
    AZ_Gato Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    The guys I knew that got a little yolked up while in there used their commissary to buy canned food...chicken and tuna. There is also the contraband from the kitchen that the did workers would smuggle out. A lot of these guys that could afford it ate decently. The ones that couldn't would carb up and with their assess off. Bottom line, prison food is high in starch and contains some extras to lower testosterone and try to call down the population so that they aren't so high strung.
  • PikaKnight
    Options

First - she has 1lb to go, not has lost 1lb.

Second - you just tried to insult one of the more knowledgeable people on MFP. Her and Sidesteel's Eat, Train, Progress group has even been recognized and tagged by MFP due to their knowledge, support, and positive influence.

Third - If anyone can help you understand bulking and cutting (not just from research but from experience) - it'd be Sara.

And last, just to throw it out there, Sara holds 2 state APA records for powerlifting (one being for a 325lb deadlift)...from her 1st ever Powerlifting competition.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1137702-sara-s-first-powerlifting-competition-pics-and-vids

So...

oh wow. 1.8 lbs lost what a freaking challenge!!

"185lbs., a US size 12/14 and with a body fat percentage of goodness knows what – but in hindsight, and looking at my pics, I estimate I was in the mid to high 30’s % as you can see from the pics: "

From her success thread story. She's lost way more than 1.8lbs.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/903628-one-year-of-barbells-and-ice-cream-my-story-so-far-pics