How to measure calories of Haagen Dazs ice cream?

Options

Replies

• SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I've lost 92 pounds in total and 70 within the past year and I didn't see any purpose in eating food like that.

If you're really committed to something why would you want to impede your progress?
    It doesn't impede progress... unless you eat too much of it. Or anything.

I lost 86 lbs in 11 months. That included ice cream, pizza, poptarts, etc.

That's over 7 lbs a month. Impede my progress it did not.
  • brdnw
    brdnw Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    Clearly were training with entirely different goals in mind then.
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Does the nutritional info say how many serves per container? Can you work out the weight of each "serve" that way?

It says 100ml is 250cal it's not in gram that's why I'm having a hard time figuring out what to do ...

Ice cream in Canada is always labeled in mLs. It's a pain in the *kitten*. I weigh the whole tub, and I know how much the tub itself weighs, so subtract that amount, then figure out the cals etc. /100g (you figure out the total cals from the info provided and then do the math). It's annoying but if you create a My Foods for it, you only have to do it once per flavor.

Do they come in standard size tubs? In the US they are always a pint and have 4 servings per tub.

Not sure about Hagan Daas, but most brands come in plastic tubs or boxes; 2L of ice cream. Standard plastic tub is 75g, box is close. A serving is usually 125 mL, so 16 servings. A little pint like that I'd just eyeball my 4 servings, but bigger tub is harder, plus I have to share mine ;) Easier if I can just log a g-based serving of whatever size I want :)

Nutritional data for Canada here (using Vanilla as an example):

http://haagen-dazs.ca/hd-en/products/ice-cream/vanilla.aspx

Nutritional data for the US here:

http://www.haagendazs.com/Products/Product/2473

Interestingly they are slightly different even though they both have 1/2 cup as a serving size. The Canadian one has 1g of each macro more and 20 calories more, which would lead me to believe that a tub of HD in Canada is a tad bigger than in the US. [It is a similar story for other flavors as well].

Serving size is 106g in the US - so in Canada, if its a bit bigger (by about 8%), then a serving there is 114g.

Yes....I am that sad that I just did that calculation!

THere's a lot of differences, generally, between Canadian and US versions of the same products. I have to keep a close eye on MFP entries because they're most often US. I've had to create a lot of my own entries as a result.
  • cmeiron
    Options
    If ur eating ice cream I don't really see the sense in even tracking ur calories..

Cool story bro.

Most definitely. I want to reach my physique and fitness goals while being happy and enjoying my life and not depriving myself of things I enjoy, and you...well...enjoy your chicken and broccoli and sweet brotatoes.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Does the nutritional info say how many serves per container? Can you work out the weight of each "serve" that way?

It says 100ml is 250cal it's not in gram that's why I'm having a hard time figuring out what to do ...

Ice cream in Canada is always labeled in mLs. It's a pain in the *kitten*. I weigh the whole tub, and I know how much the tub itself weighs, so subtract that amount, then figure out the cals etc. /100g (you figure out the total cals from the info provided and then do the math). It's annoying but if you create a My Foods for it, you only have to do it once per flavor.

Do they come in standard size tubs? In the US they are always a pint and have 4 servings per tub.
    Haagen Dazs is only 14oz, so 3.5 servings.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Most people here aren't "training" for anything - they are dieting.

That said, after 50km on a road bike on hills, ice cream fits my needs very well.
    ...sweet brotatoes...
    LMAO!
  • arlenem1974
    arlenem1974 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I would take a measuring cup and then weigh the cup with the ice cream in it. That what I do.
  • brdnw
    Options
    If ur eating ice cream I don't really see the sense in even tracking ur calories..

Cool story bro.

Most definitely. I want to reach my physique and fitness goals while being happy and enjoying my life and not depriving myself of things I enjoy, and you...well...enjoy your chicken and broccoli and sweet brotatoes.

It's kind of ignorant to make a defensive post under the assumption that ice cream makes me happy. I am very happy to choose fruit over ice cream or a large salad over a cheeseburger. Healthy food is delicious, I have no desire to eat a pop tart or snickers.
  • tigersword
    Options

Cool story bro.

It's kind of ignorant to make a defensive post under the assumption that ice cream makes me happy. I am very happy to choose fruit over ice cream or a large salad over a cheeseburger. Healthy food is delicious, I have no desire to eat a pop tart or snickers.
    It's even more ignorant to say a person shouldn't even bother to count calories if they eat ice cream.
  • cmeiron
    Options

Cool story bro.

I didn't assume anything of the kind. I said ice cream makes ME happy. If you have no desire to eat a pop tart or snickers, more power to you. And I fully agree that "healthy" food is delicious. We should all eat what we enjoy - that's the whole point. But to come on here and make statements about ice cream being detrimental to "training" goals (I did assume, here, that you meant fitness, weight loss, or muscle/strength gain goals - feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) and saying that eating ice cream is enough to negate any calorie-counting efforts...well, it's just silly. Also wrong. (Also, you mistook my exasperation for defensiveness).
  • brdnw
    Options
    I'm just disappointed when I see people eat pizza, ice cream and things like that when they're trying to lose weight. Sure once a week won't kill you, but it does set you back if you had chose say a banana or salad instead. I think if you're going for a change in your life from unhealthy diet you should distance ur self from those kind of foods and learn to find healthier choices since diet is soooo critical to weight loss. This has obviously deviated from the original post a bit..different view points/experiences I suppose.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    I'm just disappointed when I see people eat pizza, ice cream and things like that when they're trying to lose weight. Sure once a week won't kill you, but it does set you back if you had chose say a banana or salad instead.

Wait, that's not a reasonable comparison. "a banana" vs a couple of slices of pizza is a huge difference in caloric intake, and very few here would argue that replacing slices of pizza with "a banana" won't result in faster weight loss because of the increased caloric deficit.

However, if that same person has enough bananas to match the calories of the pizza, weight loss will be the same in either case.
  • cmeiron
    Options
    I'm just disappointed when I see people eat pizza, ice cream and things like that when they're trying to lose weight. Sure once a week won't kill you, but it does set you back if you had chose say a banana or salad instead. I think if you're going for a change in your life from unhealthy diet you should distance ur self from those kind of foods and learn to find healthier choices since diet is soooo critical to weight loss. This has obviously deviated from the original post a bit..different view points/experiences I suppose.

I hear what you're saying. And for some people, yeah, they need to distance themselves from that kind of food, at least for a while, because it's too tempting to overeat. Because diet IS critical to weight loss - but it's the caloric intake that's most critical, not the type of calories being consumed. I guess the thing is that there are many, many people who can and do continue to eat pizza and whatnot because they've learned how to include it as a component (rarely the dominant one) of their diet without exceeding their caloric needs or neglecting nutrient requirements. I would argue that it's a more balanced, and sustainable approach for most people. In the long run, though, you need to do what works for you. I just hate to see any certain foods demonized because it can lead to really disordered relationships with food and ultimately work against people in their efforts to become leaner or more fit.
  • brdnw
    Options
    I'm just disappointed when I see people eat pizza, ice cream and things like that when they're trying to lose weight. Sure once a week won't kill you, but it does set you back if you had chose say a banana or salad instead.

Wait, that's not a reasonable comparison. "a banana" vs a couple of slices of pizza is a huge difference in caloric intake, and very few here would argue that replacing slices of pizza with "a banana" won't result in faster weight loss because of the increased caloric deficit.

However, if that same person has enough bananas to match the calories of the pizza, weight loss will be the same in either case.

Sigh, Micromanage my post please, I said some example items: a banana vs a bowl of ice cream or, a salad w grilled chicken would be less calories than a few slices of pizza and it'd be significantly better for u.

Thanks for your astute insight though.
  • tigersword
    Options

Sigh, Micromanage my post please, I said some example items: a banana vs a bowl of ice cream or, a salad w grilled chicken would be less calories than a few slices of pizza and it'd be significantly better for u.

Better how? Because it's less calories? Calories don't make something healthy or unhealthy. If I'm short on fat for the day, ice cream is actually a better choice than a banana.
  • brdnw
    Options
    This is pointless to continue. You eat ur happy meals, I'll eat my salads.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Better how? Because it's less calories? Calories don't make something healthy or unhealthy. If I'm short on fat for the day, ice cream is actually a better choice than a banana.

tumblr_luoxltKH9w1r6aoq4o1_500.gif
  • Mr_Knight
    Options

He's just picking arguments now. Next step will no doubt be a threat to take his ball and go home.

Whatever...
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

I eat ice cream every day. My diet is not unhealthy and I don't exactly have a problem stating lean. Your comments cone from a perspective that is actually unhealthy IMO.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Lolwut?