Holy sexism, batman!

Options

Replies

• WisiPls
    WisiPls Posts: 359
    Options
    This petty feminism is starting to pollute the forum. "I mean like yeah, for sure, he totally looked at me not in the right way, and he like catcalled me - so sexist. i should like put him on lulu to stop the street harassment over the most pettiest bs ever."

post of the year
  • WhoHa42
    WhoHa42 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    This petty feminism is starting to pollute the forum. "I mean like yeah, for sure, he totally looked at me not in the right way, and he like catcalled me - so sexist. i should like put him on lulu to stop the street harassment over the most pettiest bs ever."
    So the time I got scared because a guy said, "Come here, b*tch, I'm going to make you suck my c*ck" and I got scared, I was just being a petty feminist? I'll remember that the next time someone says something obscene and threatening to me. Thank you for the lesson! It was so valuable! But, please, share your wisdom -- what should I do the next time this happens? Go over there and let him force me to give him a blow job?

I don't understand how that would be catcalling. That sounds like a legitimate threat
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Unless we as a gender are going to start refusing the perks that come with men finding us physically attractive (a drink sent over by the gentleman over there, anyone?), it seems disingenuous to be outraged when the attention we get isn't the kind we want or that benefits us in some way. That doesn't mean that catcalls and having things shouted at us is ok, it's simply the bad side of the same coin.
    If you're serious that we have to accept that sort of behavior in exchange for having "a drink sent over by the gentleman over there", then oh my god yes, we should totally refuse.

If I don't have money to pay my own way, I don't go out. Why on earth would it be a man's obligation to pay for my drinks? (note, taking turns paying for going out to dinner and such is not what I'm talking about).
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Even the cutesy, lame catcalling can apparently really be obnoxious in some areas, even though I've never had a problem with that kind. This is funny:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WH7b4QCPuXc#t=0
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    So the time I got scared because a guy said, "Come here, b*tch, I'm going to make you suck my c*ck" and I got scared, I was just being a petty feminist? I'll remember that the next time someone says something obscene and threatening to me. Thank you for the lesson! It was so valuable! But, please, share your wisdom -- what should I do the next time this happens? Go over there and let him force me to give him a blow job?

why would you be scared if someone just yelled that at you?

that's rubbish. People yell obscene and threatening things all the time- most of the time they are just doing that to get a reaction- so either tell them to EFF off or ignore them. easy peason lemon squeezy.

Stop having a victim mentality and learn how to defend yourself- be a fighter. and don't put yourself in places where you feel like you are threatened. Be alert- be aware.

That being said- body language would say more than saying FU ever could.
  • arghbowl
    arghbowl Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options

1.) don't go about walking when you are several drinks in
    2.) don't walk about like you are a victim (head down no eye contact)

We smell your fear, ladies... We smell it because we're savage and sexist animals who prey on the weaklings.
  • arghbowl
    Options

So now obscene and threatening is feminist/sexist?

"Get in the kitchen" is sexist.

"Suck it" is threatening. Or playful, depending on the context.
  • wiscck
    wiscck Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Unless we as a gender are going to start refusing the perks that come with men finding us physically attractive (a drink sent over by the gentleman over there, anyone?), it seems disingenuous to be outraged when the attention we get isn't the kind we want or that benefits us in some way. That doesn't mean that catcalls and having things shouted at us is ok, it's simply the bad side of the same coin.
    If you're serious that we have to accept that sort of behavior in exchange for having "a drink sent over by the gentleman over there", then oh my god yes, we should totally refuse.

If I don't have money to pay my own way, I don't go out. Why on earth would it be a man's obligation to pay for my drinks? (note, taking turns paying for going out to dinner and such is not what I'm talking about).
    Exactly. I have refused drinks if I wasn't interested in the person who sent them over. Because women who accept drinks from men with no intentions of even talking to them are wrong, too.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

We smell your fear, ladies... We smell it because we're savage and sexist animals who prey on the weaklings.

body language says volumes... there is a reason certain people get messed with more than others.
  • mnighttess
    Options
    below
  • mnighttess
    Options

** Was he hot?
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options
    Ahhhh married 21 years.......that it explains a lot about your posts. You havent been out in the real world in quite some time. Men and women are on more equal footing sexually these days. People are getting married later in life after actually living it some.

We ALL like to be told we are pretty, sexy and desired...including men. If your man isnt doing that... Im sorry.
    :huh: ORLY? The way I see it, men and women are on far LESS equal footing sexually. When I got married, people were getting married later in life after actually living it some too. I was by no means the norm. But then, that seems to be true today as well. I managed to live my life quite well being married. It didn't hold me back.

I like for my husband to tell me those things, yes. But I don't like to be evaluated by other people solely in that way. I have many exciting talents that don't revolve only around my sexuality.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options

Exactly, dude. And I have enough respect for you as a human being to know that you have the self-control not to act on your animal instincts.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options

I'm with you in a way you might find weird. I have become accustomed to men buying me things and actually do expect it when I go out single. However i do not consider it a trade off for being treated shabbily. I feel men are capable of treating me with respect AND buying me drinks. I have a lot of faith in them.
  • arghbowl
    Options

body language says volumes... there is a reason certain people get messed with more than others.

Truth. Head up, shoulders square, and walk with a purpose. That says "Don't fk with me."

Head down, slowly sauntering, avoiding contact.... "I'm a helpless little girl... come n get me!"
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options

Exactly. I have refused drinks if I wasn't interested in the person who sent them over. Because women who accept drinks from men with no intentions of even talking to them are wrong, too.

Wrong but tipsy. :drinker: :drinker:
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options

** Was he hot?
    Not if he spoke to her like that, he wasn't.
  • tfleischer
    tfleischer Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    That wasn't sexism, just a few guys being pigs.

Next time walk with your head up and confident. If you feel threatened look them in the face. Guys won't attack or try to touch you if there's a chance you could describe them to the police. Keeping your head down is more likely to lead to an attack because you look unsure, weak and timid.

What she said X10. When you make eye contact, you move from victim to eye witness.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options

** Was he hot?
    Not if he spoke to her like that, he wasn't.

QFT. that is like the anti-hot.
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,507 Member
    Options
    Why do both sides seem to see these types of things in black and white. There certainly many subjective situations being talked about here that occur in many shades of grey, and people are tryign to reduce them to black and white/ this or that. That makes no sense to me.