Holy sexism, batman!

Options

Replies

• Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    sallypants reminds me of that guy at the bar who has had a few too many and thinks he's being clever and witty, when in actuality everyone is laughing at hime, and honestly a little embarassed for him

You just can't hang, just like mos leftists.

i pictured that coming out slured with bud light spilling on your shirt
  • WhoHa42
    WhoHa42 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    Since we are moving towards a feminism debate I'd just like to say that women do have the same rights as men, in some cases more rights than men (divorce, false rape cases we talked about earlier, ect.)

And the reason for the gender pay gap is due mostly to women taking time off from work for pregnancies and other things that men don't have to take time off for, allowing them to get further ahead in a shorter amount of time. I'll try to find the article later if people want me to, but it showed how men an women in the same job for the same amount of time only made a few cents difference in pay.

That being said I'm taking a nap lol
    Good. Maybe when you've had a little sleep, you'll see how it sounds sexist when you say "women taking time off from work for pregnancies and other things that men don't have to take time off for".

How is that sexist? You're just fishing now. When women have babies they take time off from work. When they take time off from work it sets them back from where a man who didn't take the time off is. I never said it was bad, I never said all women have babies. I was stating a fact. Please stop being so butthurt
    I'm not butthurt.

But you missed the point. Men take parental leave too. That's all I'm saying.

They do, and it will set them back just as much. But it is far less common for a man to take parental leave than a woman, making the gap larger.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

But you missed the point. Men take parental leave too. That's all I'm saying.

my co-worker took something stupid like 2 months off- Family Leave Act.

it absolutely happens.
  • Mrsallypants
    Mrsallypants Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    Feminism is a hate movement, if you don't see it you're just naive. Why don't we look at the dictionary definition though. LOL

Mangina is generally a man who hates his own gender as he has internalized feminist anti-male propaganda (misandry), and has vagina envy. Two notable manginas are Michael Kimmel and Jackson Katz.

It has nothing to do with sexism, but the feminist perspective on what a mangina is not only retarded, but humorous.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Unless we as a gender are going to start refusing the perks that come with men finding us physically attractive (a drink sent over by the gentleman over there, anyone?), it seems disingenuous to be outraged when the attention we get isn't the kind we want or that benefits us in some way. That doesn't mean that catcalls and having things shouted at us is ok, it's simply the bad side of the same coin.
    If you're serious that we have to accept that sort of behavior in exchange for having "a drink sent over by the gentleman over there", then oh my god yes, we should totally refuse.

If I don't have money to pay my own way, I don't go out. Why on earth would it be a man's obligation to pay for my drinks? (note, taking turns paying for going out to dinner and such is not what I'm talking about).

No, my point is that we as women seem to have no problem with men only taking into the account the physical when it works in our favor, then scream about being objectified when the attention is unwanted. I never see women complaining about getting free upgrades or getting out of speeding tickets because the other party thought they were attractive. The knife cuts both ways.

I've always been able to pay my own way and I don't believe that it's a man's obligation to pay for anything (just ask my husband), but that doesn't mean I'm oblivious to the fact that men are doing nice things for me because of the way I look and not because of my Master's degree. I doubt we're going to see a big feminist movement demanding those practices end, because we justify things we like as acceptable practices in courtship.
    Ya keep saying "we as women" like we're this monolithic thing that behaves identically. Not all men behave in a sexist, douchey way, so I don't make statements about "all men".

Getting free upgrades or getting out of speeding tickets because the other party thought they were attractive is repugnant to me as well. If it isn't to you, well, I really don't think we have any common ground to discuss this further.

Did I say it wasn't repugnant to me? Did I say I engage in this behavior in any way? Did I say "all women do this?" I don't remember making any of those statements, but I certainly spend enough time out in the world to know that instances of people (men and women) refusing a wanted outcome because the initial catalyst was physical attraction are few and far between.

Note I am speaking about wanted vs unwanted outcomes to physical appearance, which is what was being discussed when I entered the thread. If you don't see something as a benefit or find it repugnant, then it is obviously unwanted. But if you do, then it is rarely turned away. I didn't make any statement about whether something is morally right or not (because that is up to the individual), I simply provided examples of times when women stand to benefit from physical appearance and stated that there is generally not a lot of complaining from our sex when it's something we want. I think that's a generalization that most women would get behind if they are being completely honest with themselves.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    Feminism is a hate movement, if you don't see it you're just naive. Why don't we look at the dictionary definition though. LOL

Mangina is generally a man who hates his own gender as he has internalized feminist anti-male propaganda (misandry), and has vagina envy. Two notable manginas are Michael Kimmel and Jackson Katz.

wow you are so far out of here it isn't even funny. Keep repeating it- it doesn't get more true if you just keep repeating yourself.

Being a feminist isn't even about being a man or a woman- Feminists can be MEN or WOMEN.

and anyone I view to have a mangina is a big baby about stuff- which I would actually put you squarely in that category hysterically. or butt hurt- that's a much better one. You're just angry women get what you get now- and you can't be the big fat rich man on top any more and women can do what they want.

gasp- what a novel concept.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    sallypants reminds me of that guy at the bar who has had a few too many and thinks he's being clever and witty, when in actuality everyone is laughing at hime, and honestly a little embarassed for him

You just can't hang, just like mos leftists.

i pictured that coming out slured with bud light spilling on your shirt
    I'm ignoring that user, but I am also amused at the accusation of "leftist". Clearly a few facts were missed.
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options

dont forget me. or have i not graduated to notable yet?
  • wiscck
    wiscck Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    So, the article I was thinking of wasn't an article, it was a comment on another article.
    You struck a nerve with this one, as I was just discussing this very thing a few weeks ago with a group of high-school freshmen in my English class. We were discussing homosexuality because of an allusion to it in the book we were reading, and several boys made comments such as, "That's disgusting." We got into the debate and eventually a boy admitted that he was terrified/disgusted when he was once sharing a taxi and the other male passenger made a pass at him.

The lightbulb went off. "Oh," I said. "I get it. See, you are afraid, because for the first time in your life you have found yourself a victim of unwanted sexual advances by someone who has the physical ability to use force against you." The boy nodded and shuddered visibly.

"But," I continued. "As a woman, you learn to live with that from the time you are fourteen, and it never stops. We live with that fear every day of our lives. Every man walking through the parking garage the same time you are is either just a harmless stranger or a potential rapist. Every time."

The girls in the room nodded, agreeing. The boys seemed genuinely shocked.

"So think about that the next time you hit on a girl. Maybe, like you in the taxi, she doesn't actually want you to."
    From http://dish.andrewsullivan.com/2012/03/28/the-terror-of-catcalling-ctd-1/
  • Mrsallypants
    Options

wow you are so far out of here it isn't even funny.

Being a feminist isn't even about being a man or a woman- Feminists can be MEN or WOMEN.

Of course feminists can be men. Some of the most rabid feminists i know are men like David Futerelle, Jackson Katz, Michal Kimmel, and the manginas here.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options
    I didn't make any statement about whether something is morally right or not (because that is up to the individual), I simply provided examples of times when women stand to benefit from physical appearance and stated that there is generally not a lot of complaining from our sex when it's something we want. I think that's a generalization that most women would get behind if they are being completely honest with themselves.
    OK, I think I see the issue then. I was, in fact, making a normative statement, not a descriptive one.
  • JoRocka
    Options

Of course feminists can be men. Some of the most rabid feminists i know are men like David Futerelle, Jackson Katz, Michal Kimmel, and the manginas here.

OH NOES_ trying to do something to better our culture and civilization by recognizing that women are important members of society!!!
    HOW DARE THEY!
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    OH NOES_ trying to do something to better our culture and civilization by recognizing that women are important members of society!!!
    HOW DARE THEY!

He apparently doesn't know the difference between feminist and non-misogynist.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options

HOW DARE THEY!
    hF644CC82
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options
    HOW DARE THEY!

He apparently doesn't know the difference between feminist and non-misogynist.
    Yes, it's clearly a zero-sum game. Loss of white male privilege and all that.
  • WhoHa42
    Options
    I wouldn't say feminism as a whole is a hate movement but there are definitely radical feminists that use it as such, the same way pretty much any group has them. I do feel that feminism isn't necessarily needed anymore as everyone, at least in the US, has equal rights no matter their race of gender. I do feel that a different movement, meant for everyone, would be useful to get rid of the smaller race and gender issues on a case to case basis. Meaning that there is no huge change that needs to be made, but I'm sure there are some companies that have issues with different races or genders that a movement could help fix.
  • JoRocka
    Options

HOW DARE THEY!
    hF644CC82

BAW HA HA HA HA HA HA

truth truth

they are only important when they stay in the kitchen and make babies and sammiches.

I wonder if his wominz got out of the kitchen so he is just hangry because he doesn't know how to make his own sammich.
  • Mrsallypants
    Options

HOW DARE THEY!

Is that what it means? lol. I know many females who are anti-feminist too such as Karen Straughan, she is one of the most intelligent people I've ever met, and i just wonder why women like her are not feminists when it means such a virtuous thing. lol

you don't know what you're talking about.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options
    I wouldn't say feminism as a whole is a hate movement but there are definitely radical feminists that use it as such, the same way pretty much any group has them. I do feel that feminism isn't necessarily needed anymore as everyone, at least in the US, has equal rights no matter their race of gender. I do feel that a different movement, meant for everyone, would be useful to get rid of the smaller race and gender issues on a case to case basis. Meaning that there is no huge change that needs to be made, but I'm sure there are some companies that have issues with different races or genders that a movement could help fix.
    I can't agree with you. The fact that the Equal Rights Amendment has never been passed indicates that feminism is still relevant.
  • WhoHa42
    Options
    I can't agree with you. The fact that the Equal Rights Amendment has never been passed indicates that feminism is still relevant.

What rights do I have that you don't? What rights do I have that a black man doesn't?