Holy sexism, batman!

Options

Replies

• WhoHa42
    WhoHa42 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say feminism as a whole is a hate movement but there are definitely radical feminists that use it as such, the same way pretty much any group has them. I do feel that feminism isn't necessarily needed anymore as everyone, at least in the US, has equal rights no matter their race of gender. I do feel that a different movement, meant for everyone, would be useful to get rid of the smaller race and gender issues on a case to case basis. Meaning that there is no huge change that needs to be made, but I'm sure there are some companies that have issues with different races or genders that a movement could help fix.
    Also, just because there is a lot of equality doesn't mean we can't do better. There are still civil rights issues around in this country because of race. Working for racial equality is not already irrelevant. It just needs to be focused and targeted. I spend most of my time being busy being equal with men, so I don't waste a whole lot of time on this feminism thing. But when there's a bad apple that needs to be dealt with, I'm on top of it. That doesn't make me shrill or hysterical or overreacting. It just means when something is wrong, I call it out appropriately.

Did you read my entire post? I know there's still some issues, but they aren't large enough for each one to have a separate group and still get things done. I was talking about having a group that was focused on getting rid of these issues as a whole instead of women working towards what they want, blacks working towards their problems, hispanics towards their own. Know what I'm saying? As a larger group there would be more progress an everyone could get behind it easier. I would totally back a group like this, I'd never consider calling myself a feminist.
    So don't call yourself a feminist. *shrug*

It's not just me, there's a lot of people that feel this way. Partially because it's only meant for bettering women and not other groups, but also because the crazy radicals are usually the loudest and that's what people associate the name with.
  • Mrsallypants
    Mrsallypants Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    It has nothing to do with sexism, but the feminist perspective on what a mangina is not only retarded, but humorous.

Not that anything you say has any merit to begin with, but when you casually sprinkle in the word "retarded," absolutely NO ONE is going to listen to a word you are saying.

I know you feel entitled to have everything in life sugar coated for you, princess, but I am afraid that isn't going to happen.
  • Mrsallypants
    Options
    The ERA would force women into combat, into selective service, and affirmative action programs for women along with other female only finances like the offices of women's health may be eliminated with the ERA. Not sure feminists want that.

men aren't forced into combat at this point- why should women?

Men can be in America with the selective service system where women are excluded.
    Congress would have to reinstate the draft in order for that to happen. Maybe you should check your facts before you start spouting nonsense.

Women are excluded. There is no nonsense, as if reinstating the draft would be a complex process, and who would be chosen, not women. God you liberals are dense.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say feminism as a whole is a hate movement but there are definitely radical feminists that use it as such, the same way pretty much any group has them. I do feel that feminism isn't necessarily needed anymore as everyone, at least in the US, has equal rights no matter their race of gender. I do feel that a different movement, meant for everyone, would be useful to get rid of the smaller race and gender issues on a case to case basis. Meaning that there is no huge change that needs to be made, but I'm sure there are some companies that have issues with different races or genders that a movement could help fix.
    Also, just because there is a lot of equality doesn't mean we can't do better. There are still civil rights issues around in this country because of race. Working for racial equality is not already irrelevant. It just needs to be focused and targeted. I spend most of my time being busy being equal with men, so I don't waste a whole lot of time on this feminism thing. But when there's a bad apple that needs to be dealt with, I'm on top of it. That doesn't make me shrill or hysterical or overreacting. It just means when something is wrong, I call it out appropriately.

Did you read my entire post? I know there's still some issues, but they aren't large enough for each one to have a separate group and still get things done. I was talking about having a group that was focused on getting rid of these issues as a whole instead of women working towards what they want, blacks working towards their problems, hispanics towards their own. Know what I'm saying? As a larger group there would be more progress an everyone could get behind it easier. I would totally back a group like this, I'd never consider calling myself a feminist.

It's not just me, there's a lot of people that feel this way. Partially because it's only meant for bettering women and not other groups, but also because the crazy radicals are usually the loudest and that's what people associate the name with.
    I agree with the second half of your statement. And that's not my problem. I can reclaim "feminist" if I want to. And you're wrong about the first part. It's not only meant for bettering women and not other groups. As I mentioned before, lobbying for better parental leave rights benefits all people, regardless of their plumbing.
  • WhoHa42
    WhoHa42 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options

I agree with the second half of your statement. And that's not my problem. I can reclaim "feminist" if I want to. And you're wrong about the first part. It's not only meant for bettering women and not other groups. As I mentioned before, lobbying for better parental leave rights benefits all people, regardless of their plumbing.

That's just one example when there's a ton more issues. But like I said before I'm getting off for a while.
  • wiscck
    wiscck Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    The ERA would force women into combat, into selective service, and affirmative action programs for women along with other female only finances like the offices of women's health may be eliminated with the ERA. Not sure feminists want that.

men aren't forced into combat at this point- why should women?
    Men can be in America with the selective service system where women are excluded.
    Congress would have to reinstate the draft in order for that to happen. Maybe you should check your facts before you start spouting nonsense.

Women are excluded. There is no nonsense, as if reinstating the draft would be a complex process, and who would be chosen, not women. God you liberals are dense.
    I'd like to do away with the selective service entirely, but as it works right now, men aren't being drafted either. If I remember correctly from when my brother signed up (which was a decade ago) the only thing that happened was that he got a lot of armed forces recruitment brochures, but I got a lot of them too when I was a senior in high school. Just not as many as him. And with Congress the way it is, them agreeing on the color of the sky would be a complex process.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    And with Congress the way it is, them agreeing on the color of the sky would be a miracle.

FTFY
  • wiscck
    wiscck Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    And with Congress the way it is, them agreeing on the color of the sky would be a miracle.

FTFY
    Very true.
  • somerisagirlsname
    somerisagirlsname Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    It has nothing to do with sexism, but the feminist perspective on what a mangina is not only retarded, but humorous.

Not that anything you say has any merit to begin with, but when you casually sprinkle in the word "retarded," absolutely NO ONE is going to listen to a word you are saying.

I know you feel entitled to have everything in life sugar coated for you, princess, but I am afraid that isn't going to happen.

Boy you really are an idiot, aren't you? A special educator calling you out for using the word "retarded" does not equal "wants everything to be sugar coated." You wouldn't be stupid enough to shout "******" from the rooftops, so why are you stupid enough to nonchalantly use "retarded."

ETA: That was supposed to be the n-word. I got MFP censored.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options

But you missed the point. Men take parental leave too. That's all I'm saying.

my co-worker took something stupid like 2 months off- Family Leave Act.

it absolutely happens.

I took paternity leave as a guy except for men we basically have to use all our vacation and sick days to pull it off as there is no legislation for fathers. Some companies have wised up and given fathers parental leave but not many. I honestly think this should be changed. I think that society as a whole would be a much different place if we enabled men to do the things that women ***** about them not doing (ie being there for their children).

Anyways, most stressful, lack of sleep, zombie like and amazing long vacation I ever had. So much happens during those first few weeks and it sucks as most guys are forced to miss it. But this is completely off topic so I'll stop.

So yeah some of us do take it but its not the same.

Most countries besides this "country" :angry: offer paternity leave. A man in Sweden can take off to something like 6 months.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

enough with the condescending attitude.

it isn't about sugar coating anything- most of us can take our lumps- but what she was talking about- wasn't about "being nice and sugar coating it"

there is way to have an educated conversation discussing something and then there's what you are doing- which is completely rubbish - it's not even remotely possibly to take you seriously.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    If you can't feel safe walking around your own home, there's a problem.
    Agree. Now let's get straight on defining the problem. The problem is that you are insufficiently prepared to handle a potential threat. Not "sexism." This problem can be remedied with many options - two of my favorites being:
    1. Legal, responsible, trained and practiced gun ownership
    2. Street combat training

Being a shrinking, nervous, vulnerable, unprepared female makes one an attractive target for all kinds of mischief - not because she's attractive or because (good Lord) she has a uterus, but because she's easy pickings. OP, those guys who were sizing you up "covetously" were just as likely to be checking you for jewelry or other goods worth snatching. The catcaller could just as easily have been a pre-screener signaling his buddies to the approach of an easy mark. And the mark could easily be male or female.

You want to walk without fear? Prepare yourself mentally and physically to handle threats, don't put yourself unnecessarily into threatening situations, and don't blame your vulnerability on your (or their) gender. Controlling others' behavior is not a realistic option. Controlling one's own is a necessity.
  • Mrsallypants
    Options

enough with the condescending attitude.

it isn't about sugar coating anything- most of us can take our lumps- but what she was talking about- wasn't about "being nice and sugar coating it"

there is way to have an educated conversation discussing something and then there's what you are doing- which is completely rubbish - it's not even remotely possibly to take you seriously.

Educated conversations in these places always turns into heated arguments filled with personal attacks. If you want to have an educated conversation, no ad hominems (not misogynist either), then skype with me and let's get recording.
  • Mrsallypants
    Options

Boy you really are an idiot, aren't you? A special educator calling you out for using the word "retarded" does not equal "wants everything to be sugar coated." You wouldn't be stupid enough to shout "******" from the rooftops, so why are you stupid enough to nonchalantly use "retarded."

I don't mean "retarded" in that sense, don't be politically correct with me, I don't care.
  • Mrsallypants
    Options
    Agree. Now let's get straight on defining the problem. The problem is that you are insufficiently prepared to handle a potential threat. Not "sexism." This problem can be remedied with many options - two of my favorites being:

Being a shrinking, nervous, vulnerable, unprepared female makes one an attractive target for all kinds of mischief - not because she's attractive or because (good Lord) she has a uterus, but because she's easy pickings. OP, those guys who were sizing you up "covetously" were just as likely to be checking you for jewelry or other goods worth snatching. The catcaller could just as easily have been a pre-screener signaling his buddies to the approach of an easy mark. And the mark could easily be male or female.

You want to walk without fear? Prepare yourself mentally and physically to handle threats, don't put yourself unnecessarily into threatening situations, and don't blame your vulnerability on your (or their) gender. Controlling others' behavior is not a realistic option. Controlling one's own is a necessity.

O god, you are "victim blaming." LOL
  • JoRocka
    Options

110% agree with this.

Educated conversations in these places always turns into heated arguments filled with personal attacks. If you want to have an educated conversation, no ad hominems (not misogynist either), then skype with me and let's get recording.

that sounds sketchy as hell- I don't even do that with people I DO like talking to much less people that seem like they are going to waste my time. Thanks but- no thanks.
  • somerisagirlsname
    somerisagirlsname Posts: 467 Member
    Options

I don't mean "retarded" in that sense, don't be politically correct with me, I don't care.

No. You meant it to be stupid/slow/ridiculous/ insert-negative-attribute-here. Which is perpetuating that individuals with disabilities must be stupid/slow/ridiculous or a whole host of other negative things. If you're going to be an asshat, embrace it, don't blame it on "well I didn't mean it like that."
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,507 Member
    Options

don't worry, no one's taking you seriously anyways, so it doesn't really matter
  • blackcloud13
    blackcloud13 Posts: 654 Member
    Options

FTFY
    Very true.

Yep - Congress is bad - but these forums aren't that far behind. If you go back to the initial post, and then read some of the recent entries (not just this thread either), you have to feel there are some natural congressmen lurking in our midst!
  • JoRocka
    Options
    No. You meant it to be stupid/slow/ridiculous/ insert-negative-attribute-here. Which is perpetuating that individuals with disabilities must be stupid/slow/ridiculous or a whole host of other negative things. If you're going to be an asshat, embrace it, don't blame it on "well I didn't mean it like that."

I whistled at her... but I didn't mean it like that!!!!

again- we come full circle!!!