checkout my idea for improving America's health

Options

Replies

• fattymcrunnerpants
    fattymcrunnerpants Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    [

The number of people with genetic conditions is always low... until you're the one who has it ;)

So? You shouldn't govern based off the chance of hurting a few people's feelings, or you won't get anything done.

Obama knew that people would lose some health care when he was campaigning for Obamacare, but lied about it anyway. He did this because he knew that when everything is said and done, some time from now more people will be on healthcare than without it. If you govern based off emotions rather than fact you won't get anything done.

It's not about hurting people's feelings: it's about doing the right thing. Shaming doesn't work. Period. Shaming someone and not knowing if they have a health condition based on assumption is borderline psychopathic. Furthermore, people who are fat are more at risk to be depressed. But that's OK, because in your mind it's probably a good thing to push someone to the edge of suicide.

Bottom line: your assertions aren't researched and offer no real solutions to the ever increasing problem of obesity. You can say all you want "decrease the cost of food" but it doesn't address how. I'm also pretty sure that low income families have access to this wonderful program called food stamps that help with the cost of food. Same with WIC. Did you know you can take WIC vouchers and food stamps to farmer's markets? If there are other programs in place that subsidize the cost of food why is there still a heavy obesity epidemic among the lower class? We should just shame them for being poor, right? Because obviously the correlational evidence suggests that they are fat because they're poor. Please, go do some research into your assertions and how they're ALREADY being addressed and find constructive solutions.

But shaming DOES work. It entirely works.

My entire generation avoided drugs because we didn't want to end up like the losers we saw in every TV commercial when watching our cartoons and what not growing up. Really, half the PA campaign for getting kids to not smoke cigarettes or do drugs was shaming the people who do that.

This needs to absolutely done, and the Fat Acceptance movement needs to be completely eradicated.

Please direct me to the studies that show fat shaming works for weight loss.
  • starrylioness
    starrylioness Posts: 543 Member
    Options

No, shaming gives people more problems. Do you know how many young women in this country binge and purge and have all sorts of eating disorders because of fat shaming? I agree that people should make healthy changes and should strive to be healthy and yes, there could be some positive things implemented like more awareness and such but I don't believe shaming people is positive and is really going to help. It's only going to push people away and NOT inspire them to want to be healthy.
  • zabrak999
    Options
    [

The number of people with genetic conditions is always low... until you're the one who has it ;)

So? You shouldn't govern based off the chance of hurting a few people's feelings, or you won't get anything done.

Obama knew that people would lose some health care when he was campaigning for Obamacare, but lied about it anyway. He did this because he knew that when everything is said and done, some time from now more people will be on healthcare than without it. If you govern based off emotions rather than fact you won't get anything done.

It's not about hurting people's feelings: it's about doing the right thing. Shaming doesn't work. Period. Shaming someone and not knowing if they have a health condition based on assumption is borderline psychopathic. Furthermore, people who are fat are more at risk to be depressed. But that's OK, because in your mind it's probably a good thing to push someone to the edge of suicide.

Bottom line: your assertions aren't researched and offer no real solutions to the ever increasing problem of obesity. You can say all you want "decrease the cost of food" but it doesn't address how. I'm also pretty sure that low income families have access to this wonderful program called food stamps that help with the cost of food. Same with WIC. Did you know you can take WIC vouchers and food stamps to farmer's markets? If there are other programs in place that subsidize the cost of food why is there still a heavy obesity epidemic among the lower class? We should just shame them for being poor, right? Because obviously the correlational evidence suggests that they are fat because they're poor. Please, go do some research into your assertions and how they're ALREADY being addressed and find constructive solutions.

My entire generation avoided drugs because we didn't want to end up like the losers we saw in every TV commercial when watching our cartoons and what not growing up. Really, half the PA campaign for getting kids to not smoke cigarettes or do drugs was shaming the people who do that.

This needs to absolutely done, and the Fat Acceptance movement needs to be completely eradicated.

It's more for kids and teenagers, though. I'm sure shaming smokers and drug addicts didn't stop the smokers and drug addicts, but I think it's a safe bet that it saved an untold amount of lives by scaring kids and teenagers to not do them.

We need to fat shame on that exact level that we did with smokers and drug addicts. I didn't properly express that earlier, but like I posted earlier, I'm revising everything as I read these posts, you know.
  • zabrak999
    Options

No, shaming gives people more problems. Do you know how many young women in this country binge and purge and have all sorts of eating disorders because of fat shaming? I agree that people should make healthy changes and should strive to be healthy and yes, there could be some positive things implemented like more awareness and such but I don't believe shaming people is positive and is really going to help. It's only going to push people away and NOT inspire them to want to be healthy.

in other words, you wouldn't have shamed smokers and drug addicts, when teaching kids about cigarettes and drugs, because of MUH FEEEELINGS
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    [

It's more for kids and teenagers, though. I'm sure shaming smokers and drug addicts didn't stop the smokers and drug addicts, but I think it's a safe bet that it saved an untold amount of lives by scaring kids and teenagers to not do them.

We need to fat shame on that exact level that we did with smokers and drug addicts. I didn't properly express that earlier, but like I posted earlier, I'm revising everything as I read these posts, you know.

Soooo... no research, studies or proof then?

I also note you have in no way answered the shaming vs education point.
  • Alatariel75
    Options

in other words, you wouldn't have shamed smokers and drug addicts, when teaching kids about cigarettes and drugs, because of MUH FEEEELINGS

you know what? I'm getting really sick of being compared with a goddamn crackhead because I need to lose weight. You are obviously a naive, narcissistic little girl with grandiose ideas and no grasp of psychology or of how the world, and people, work.

Or you're a really good troll with a LOT of time.
  • zabrak999
    Options
    [

she asked for proof on how it'll stop current fat people from slimming down, when I'm talking about how it'll keep KIDS and TEENAGERS from overeating, as that'd be the goal.

So in that regard, you're legitimately wondering if shaming cigarette smokers has helped kids not smoke when they get older?
  • zabrak999
    Options

you know what? I'm getting really sick of being compared with a goddamn crackhead because I need to lose weight. You are obviously a naive, narcissistic little girl with grandiose ideas and no grasp of psychology or of how the world, and people, work.

Well true, it wouldn't be a drug addict, but yes you'll be compared with cigarette smokers, absolutely.
  • starrylioness
    Options

I don't believing in shaming people because I'm an adult and don't use childish bullying tactics. There's awareness and education and then there's what you're talking about...and that's two totally different things. Awareness - YES but why feel the need to fat shame?

Grow up.
  • starrylioness
    Options

I second this.
  • Alatariel75
    Options
    [

she asked for proof on how it'll stop current fat people from slimming down, when I'm talking about how it'll keep KIDS and TEENAGERS from overeating, as that'd be the goal.

So in that regard, you're legitimately wondering if shaming cigarette smokers has helped kids not smoke when they get older?

I'm asking for proof, studies, research, not your 'pretty good bet'. and for the hundredth time, I'm asking that you address the 'shaming' v. education point, as I live in a country where 34 years of government have agreed on the education/deterrence path to combat smoking, when they barely agree on anything else, with the effect of a substantial reduction in smokers.
  • getinmykitchen
    getinmykitchen Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I don't remember any of the PSA's actively shaming the people in them. If anything it made me feel bad for them, they were trying to help you avoid their fate.
  • fattymcrunnerpants
    Options

Thank you for graciously proving my point: no research, no dice.
  • fattymcrunnerpants
    Options

I'm asking for proof, studies, research, not your 'pretty good bet'. and for the hundredth time, I'm asking that you address the 'shaming' v. education point, as I live in a country where 34 years of government have agreed on the education/deterrence path to combat smoking, when they barely agree on anything else, with the effect of a substantial reduction in smokers.

QFT: As a mother you know what I know for absolute certain? My children COPY ME. They do what I do, they say what I say, they emulate me! This is basic psychology! My son ran and placed 1st in a 2k race because I run.... this isn't rocket science. If you want to get to the kids, the parents need to be addressed first. You can't escape how you're raised. It's very hard to do things that are abnormal to your family's paradigm. Educate the parents and you'll get to the children.
  • fattymcrunnerpants
    Options

You have no proof on how fat shaming will deter teenagers from overeating either. None. Zip. Zilch. Every time you are confronted on a point and asked for proof you change your mind on what you're saying. You're backpeddling and you're not very good at it.

I've never seen any campaign that shamed smokers and drug addicts. The most powerful thing to me regarding smoking is a display at a children's fair that copied you "crawling" through a healthy lung and then "crawling" through a smoker's lung. That's not shame. That's education. That's showing cause and effect. Resorting to bullying is what children do because they have no way to cope with their own low self esteem.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    [

Kind of OT, but a) I thought kids simply found new drugs to abuse

b) You would attribute the reduction of new smokers to one single thing? Nevermind the people who dedicated decades to awareness education, legislation banning or reducing smoking in public places, studying and publicizing the links between smoking and diseases. It's all about the shaming!

c) If this is about shaming of overweight teens, isn't this already done by *kitten* in schools nationwide? Can you give any data on the success of this approach and why we would then nationalize a further attack on children??

I don't believing in shaming people. There's awareness and education and then there's what you're talking about...and that's two totally different things. Awareness - YES but why feel the need to fat shame?

Grow up.

And that, quite literally, takes years.
  • ZealousMissJJ
    ZealousMissJJ Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Change the lame stigma on eating well, as well as being overweight. Shame people who are fat, in a similar way that we do with people who smoke cigarettes.

NO

NO

NO

So much no.. I understand part of your reasoning but seriousely shaming body images is a HUGE NO for me.
  • Touji
    Touji Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I advise you to just stop posting, OP.

You know your ideas are unrealistic. You have no mechanism with which to accomplish what you want to do, and you think for some reason that you can just make money appear out of thin air to support you.

You can't back up what you're saying with any scientific studies or research, because your ideas are not based on fact but your own emotion. You want the government to take care of people as if it's some kind of benevolent force, when really all you'd be doing is messing with the economy and limiting personal freedom.

You've not provided any evidence that shaming people works to reduce obesity.
    You've not provided any evidence that taxing food products works to reduce obesity.
    You've not provided any evidence that your ideas are even feasible.
    You've not provided any justification for taking people's EARNED money for your scheme.
    Hell, you can't even define "healthy"
    You can't even put a price tag on ONE of your big-government suggestions.

The government can't be your mommy and your daddy. Stop. Realize that with maturity comes the burden of being responsible for yourself. Realize that you're essentially trying to force people to pay their own money to support others who can't even help themselves.
  • ZealousMissJJ
    ZealousMissJJ Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    My 2 cents is that thinking Europeans are somehow thinner is an old myth and if it was ever true, it isn't any more.

Uhm, from personal experience I can say that I noticed a huge difference between Europeans and Americans. Well, between Europeans and people from Florida anyway ;). I tried to order a 'normal' breakfast in Miami and got served the biggest hamburger I've ever seen, with a side of fries and crocodile nuggets. I don't think I've seen much veggies on my trip. In the Netherlands you would get served a slice of bread with cheese ;).

All kidding aside, the PORTION SIZE seems to be the problem. A small US portion would be a medium or large portion here. Also 'easy' food. It's everywhere!
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    My 2 cents is that thinking Europeans are somehow thinner is an old myth and if it was ever true, it isn't any more.

Uhm, from personal experience I can say that I noticed a huge difference between Europeans and Americans. Well, between Europeans and people from Florida anyway ;). I tried to order a 'normal' breakfast in Miami and got served the biggest hamburger I've ever seen, with a side of fries and crocodile nuggets. I don't think I've seen much veggies on my trip. In the Netherlands you would get served a slice of bread with cheese ;).

All kidding aside, the PORTION SIZE seems to be the problem. A small US portion would be a medium or large portion here. Also 'easy' food. It's everywhere!

And in the restaurants we hit up in Barcelona, no free soda refills. What the..??! They also charged us for the bread they'd bring in before dinner so we had to start telling them not to bring those. Bread, chips, all that pre meal stuff. I could do without those, but when they show up on the table I just start mindlessly grazing.