checkout my idea for improving America's health

Options

Replies

• zabrak999
    Options
    I admire your enthusiasm, no matter how misplaced it is.

Just FYI, I'm a public health graduate student. Turns out I know a thing or two about public health programs. Maybe you should learn a little before embarking on saving the world. Cause this is not what actual programs look like.

hey, that's exactly what I posted this on here. To get that constructive criticism I need. I'll sure to pitch the revised version to health instructors and professors across the country, too.

I realize that this seems really far-fetched (in regards to actually kickstarting this massive project), but it'll make sense when you see my other ideas I have. If you're interested in staying updated, shoot me your email in a private message
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Worry about yourself young lady!

As long as you do not live here it does not apply to you!

Take your public policies and apply them to your own country!

I'm through with this. Because I'm nice and all but if I continue on this thread you all will see a not so nice side!
  • inskydiamonds
    inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
    Options
    This may have been said already, but I really want to point out this portion of what you said:
    Change the lame stigma on eating well, as well as being overweight. Shame people who are fat, in a similar way that we do with people who smoke cigarettes.

While obviously the obesity problem has a lot to do with eating too much, not eating balanced, and by lacking exercise, shaming the obese population is ludicrous. This neglects the fact that there are people with genuine health disorders that make them put on weight and make them obese. Shaming people for having a health condition is absurd.

With that, overeating can be an eating disorder. Do we shame anorexics also? Obviously, it isn't an encouraged behavior, but shaming people who are in such a state is inappropriate.

I'm all about education and teaching people to take responsibility, but shame is absolutely the wrong method and I am sad you think that is a great idea.
  • zabrak999
    Options
    This may have been said already, but I really want to point out this portion of what you said:
    Change the lame stigma on eating well, as well as being overweight. Shame people who are fat, in a similar way that we do with people who smoke cigarettes.

While obviously the obesity problem has a lot to do with eating too much, not eating balanced, and by lacking exercise, shaming the obese population is ludicrous. This neglects the fact that there are people with genuine health disorders that make them put on weight and make them obese. Shaming people for having a health condition is absurd.

With that, overeating can be an eating disorder. Do we shame anorexics also? Obviously, it isn't an encouraged behavior, but shaming people who are in such a state is inappropriate.

I'm all about education and teaching people to take responsibility, but shame is absolutely the wrong method and I am sad you think that is a great idea.

the % of people with genetic conditions is so ridiculously low, that not wanting to shame overeating based on that would be a wildly disproportional mistake. Although you make a good point though. We'll definitely have to include at least a disclaimer of some sort for those people with the genetic conditions
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    America is going to get healthier when the next AIDS or black plague sweeps through and devastates the population. It might kill off obese people, it might kill off skinny people, it might kill off one race....who knows? We have a population crisis where the planet can't support the number of people that exist for much longer.

Grim, but true. Worry about living your life as awesome as possible, not using overbearing, constitutionally illegal legislation to make fat people lose weight.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I'd like to know the statistics on people who quit smoking because they were 'shamed' versus those who quit because they were educated on the risks.

I can honestly say that here in Aust, smokers have not been 'shamed'. They have been shocked, yes, and had some very confronting educational material put out there and since 1980 we have seen a significant drop in smoking prevalence, but 'shaming', nope.

I believe that education is the key, not 'shaming'. Shaming has many potential negative psychological effects and can totally engender rebelliousness in the form of continuing behaviour. Plus shaming anyone just makes you kind of a douche.
  • fattymcrunnerpants
    fattymcrunnerpants Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Fat people know they're fat. They really don't need shamed in order to change themselves. They shame themselves enough as it is.

Furthermore, fat is a bi-product of problem, not the actual problem. Treat the illness and you eliminate the symptom. Most people aren't fat because they WANT to be. Most people are fat because they're either uneducated about diet, depressed, underlying heath issues, or a combination of things. Being fat and unhappy doesn't sound like an appealing way to live life to me.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    My honest opinion?

This is one of the most asinine, ill-thought out ideas I have come across yet this year. Your idea is to effectively force change through legislation and that is utterly ridiculous.

THE way to begin slowing and reversing the rates of obesity is through nutrition education. Educating people causes a cultural shift.
  • fattymcrunnerpants
    Options

the % of people with genetic conditions is so ridiculously low, that not wanting to shame overeating based on that would be a wildly disproportional mistake. Although you make a good point though. We'll definitely have to include at least a disclaimer of some sort for those people with the genetic conditions

The number of people with genetic conditions is always low... until you're the one who has it ;)
  • getinmykitchen
    getinmykitchen Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Uh. I think we already shame people enough. I was ashamed to let people see me eating, ashamed to wear a swimsuit, ashamed to be seen at the gym. Now that I could care less what anyone thinks about my weight I do whatever I want, including physical activity in public places. So I think shaming doesn't work, acceptance is a lot more effective.
  • zabrak999
    Options

The number of people with genetic conditions is always low... until you're the one who has it ;)

So? You shouldn't govern based off the chance of hurting a few people's feelings, or you won't get anything done.

Obama knew that people would lose some health care when he was campaigning for Obamacare, but lied about it anyway. He did this because he knew that when everything is said and done, some time from now more people will be on healthcare than without it. If you govern based off emotions rather than fact you won't get anything done.
  • fattymcrunnerpants
    Options
    [

So? You shouldn't govern based off the chance of hurting a few people's feelings, or you won't get anything done.

Obama knew that people would lose some health care when he was campaigning for Obamacare, but lied about it anyway. He did this because he knew that when everything is said and done, some time from now more people will be on healthcare than without it. If you govern based off emotions rather than fact you won't get anything done.

It's not about hurting people's feelings: it's about doing the right thing. Shaming doesn't work. Period. Shaming someone and not knowing if they have a health condition based on assumption is borderline psychopathic. Furthermore, people who are fat are more at risk to be depressed. But that's OK, because in your mind it's probably a good thing to push someone to the edge of suicide.

Bottom line: your assertions aren't researched and offer no real solutions to the ever increasing problem of obesity. You can say all you want "decrease the cost of food" but it doesn't address how. I'm also pretty sure that low income families have access to this wonderful program called food stamps that help with the cost of food. Same with WIC. Did you know you can take WIC vouchers and food stamps to farmer's markets? If there are other programs in place that subsidize the cost of food why is there still a heavy obesity epidemic among the lower class? We should just shame them for being poor, right? Because obviously the correlational evidence suggests that they are fat because they're poor. Please, go do some research into your assertions and how they're ALREADY being addressed and find constructive solutions.
  • starrylioness
    starrylioness Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    You can tax tobacco without affecting nonsmoker's.

You can't tax calories without affecting everyone.

You can't ban or tax the consumption of too many calories.

obese people are a strain on the nation's economy, though. A fatass overeating won't impact my health like second hand smoke, sure, but it will impact our economy

A fatass? Aren't you nice....

I just don't understand why you feel fat people should be shamed. You do realise not all overweight people are overweight because of food, right? I have two medical conditions that caused me to gain weight and I didn't even know it until the doctor discovered it. It's not all about food.
  • Charlottesometimes23
    Options

Just FYI, I'm a public health graduate student. Turns out I know a thing or two about public health programs. Maybe you should learn a little before embarking on saving the world. Cause this is not what actual programs look like.

hey, that's exactly what I posted this on here. To get that constructive criticism I need. I'll sure to pitch the revised version to health instructors and professors across the country, too.

I realize that this seems really far-fetched (in regards to actually kickstarting this massive project), but it'll make sense when you see my other ideas I have. If you're interested in staying updated, shoot me your email in a private message
    Actually I thought that you were a public health student getting opinions on an assessment piece. Addressing globesity is a standard topic for assessment.

Do you have any experience in public health OP? If not and you are serious, I think you need to link up with someone who does. You would need help with planning and presenting eg. Determining measurable objectives, budgets, resources etc. which involves lots of pre-planning and research. Also, your ideas are extremely grand (unrealistic IMO) but by no means innovative. Have you read up on similar interventions already carried out? Results of those should inform your plans.

Another thing, IMO suggesting the shaming of overweight people will more than likely get doors slammed in your face, so maybe you need to rethink your approach there.

Ah, just saw the fatass comment. Maybe a complete attitude adjustment is needed....
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Making arguments FOR discrimination and stating that those discriminated against shouldn't procreate. Hmm, I wonder who else did that

Hitler stupidly did it based off race, I'm doing it based of lifestyle choices. I guarantee you if the majority of Americans were polled, they'd say that a lot of people in this country shouldn't be procreating. Talk to any of your friends, and they'll say the same.

Anyway we're going off point. I'm actually reading every reply, and taking noting their responses by editing my project (which will be kicked off once I start another project of mine, that'll amass a considerably amount of wealth).

I'll present the revised version in a separate thread at a later date, for sure.

Oh, we're very much on point. You coming here asking for "constructive criticism" and then having the nerve to insult users who respond to you. But great, let's forget about the idealistic *kitten* and think of stupidity (your word) instead. According to data you've shared, most people in the country are overweight or know someone who is. That would go doubly if one were to pull their heads out of their rear long enough to actually think about the site you're on. We know what happens when we do not speak up for the bullied, mistreated and down trodden. We have no interest in your or your ideas.
  • fattymcrunnerpants
    Options

obese people are a strain on the nation's economy, though. A fatass overeating won't impact my health like second hand smoke, sure, but it will impact our economy

I just don't understand why you feel fat people should be shamed. You do realise not all overweight people are overweight because of food, right? I have two medical conditions that caused me to gain weight and I didn't even know it until the doctor discovered it. It's not all about food.

She doesn't care. She thinks it's OK to make sweeping assumptions based on aesthetics.

I also have medical issues that caused me to gain massive amounts of weight in the past year. It sucks. Badly. I just had half of my thyroid removed due to cancer and also struggle with adhesions from multiple abdominal surgeries. Last year I was running half marathons, this year I'm struggling to regain movement period. But, according to the OP, it doesn't matter we should be shamed anyway because it's all our fault.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options

She doesn't care. She thinks it's OK to make sweeping assumptions based on aesthetics.

I also have medical issues that caused me to gain massive amounts of weight in the past year. It sucks. Badly. I just had half of my thyroid removed due to cancer and also struggle with adhesions from multiple abdominal surgeries. Last year I was running half marathons, this year I'm struggling to regain movement period. But, according to the OP, it doesn't matter we should be shamed anyway because it's all our fault.

Oh, didn't you read? She generously acquiesced to the inclusion of a 'disclaimer' for people who aren't fat because they're fatass nom-*kitten*.
  • zabrak999
    Options
    [

It's not about hurting people's feelings: it's about doing the right thing. Shaming doesn't work. Period. Shaming someone and not knowing if they have a health condition based on assumption is borderline psychopathic. Furthermore, people who are fat are more at risk to be depressed. But that's OK, because in your mind it's probably a good thing to push someone to the edge of suicide.

Bottom line: your assertions aren't researched and offer no real solutions to the ever increasing problem of obesity. You can say all you want "decrease the cost of food" but it doesn't address how. I'm also pretty sure that low income families have access to this wonderful program called food stamps that help with the cost of food. Same with WIC. Did you know you can take WIC vouchers and food stamps to farmer's markets? If there are other programs in place that subsidize the cost of food why is there still a heavy obesity epidemic among the lower class? We should just shame them for being poor, right? Because obviously the correlational evidence suggests that they are fat because they're poor. Please, go do some research into your assertions and how they're ALREADY being addressed and find constructive solutions.

But shaming DOES work. It entirely works.

My entire generation avoided drugs because we didn't want to end up like the losers we saw in every TV commercial when watching our cartoons and what not growing up. Really, half the PA campaign for getting kids to not smoke cigarettes or do drugs was shaming the people who do that.

This needs to absolutely done, and the Fat Acceptance movement needs to be completely eradicated.
  • zabrak999
    Options

Like I posted earlier, there could be a noted dissimilar of sorts in fat shaming campaigns, noting that people who are genetically predisposed to being overweight should disregard it, etc. I'm sure they'll understand. If I had genetic problems with it, I'd understand that the vast majority of the people wouldn't be like me, and would understand what the campaign is doing.
  • zabrak999
    Options

Actually I thought that you were a public health student getting opinions on an assessment piece. Addressing globesity is a standard topic for assessment.

Do you have any experience in public health OP? If not and you are serious, I think you need to link up with someone who does. You would need help with planning and presenting eg. Determining measurable objectives, budgets, resources etc. which involves lots of pre-planning and research. Also, your ideas are extremely grand (unrealistic IMO) but by no means innovative. Have you read up on similar interventions already carried out? Results of those should inform your plans.

Another thing, IMO suggesting the shaming of overweight people will more than likely get doors slammed in your face, so maybe you need to rethink your approach there.

Ah, just saw the fatass comment. Maybe a complete attitude adjustment is needed....

yeah don't worry, we'll cooperate with an array of global health related companies to tackle America's obesity problem, and then go country to country, you know.

Anyway about the fat shaming, I guarantee we could bring it to the mainstream, in the same exact way we encouraged shaming people who smoke and do drugs.