• WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    5vftc.gif

Is that PURPLE equipment?
    ZOMG LOL YEPS.

i deadlift there too.

Wish mine had a squat rack.

I wish ours had a true squat rack too... we have smith machines that they call squat racks... :ohwell:

The Smith Machine? Are you talking about the assisted squat rack?
  • sklarbodds
    sklarbodds Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    In for the lifting chicks :)
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    Edit: since the thread moved a bit, this about the olympic lifter picture

Google is my friend. Holley Mangold. Her personal record is 562 pounds (combined snatch and clean-and-jerk). She's a very pretty, and confident, young lady and not deserving of the mock and scorn she sometimes gets (including the intent of the original posting of her picture in this thread)

http://www.salon.com/2012/07/30/holley_mangold_makes_conan_look_small/

http://www.teamusa.org/Athletes/MA/Holley-Mangold

She belongs in this thread, IMO.
  • Runner5AbelTownship
    Runner5AbelTownship Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    What I didn't get before watching the documentary is the concept of mass moves mass. I just went into it wondering why she was so big and channeling that very ugly part of me that still belittles my own body. She is that big so she can move that much. Given our societal norms a young woman choosing to look a way she feels is regarded as unattractive for the sake of her sport, well, that was humbling to say the least.

It's not lack of self control that resulted in her looking that way, it's dedication to her sport.
  • 20Grit
    20Grit Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Girly Girl Lifters Rock!
    I don't know anyone by the name of kipping.
  • NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    As long as it's not doing kipping pullups...but then that's not really lifting weights that's lifting themselves while cheating on a pullup...

anyway, this thread is a tribute to our lady lifters....

This may have explained the boy happy to talk to me, at the gym today, while I was squatting and deadlifting only 65 lbs. and only benching the bar. Gotta start somewhere, right? :tongue:

No shame in that! You're absolutely right, you have to start somewhere! I've found that my ability to increase my weights has increased fairly quickly. Just do your best, and try to increase when you can. You go girl! :wink:
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    Options
    Thanks for all the support, ladies! It appears that I am in very good company! :flowerforyou:
  • mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    if your shirt says "USA" (and it WAS the mfking USA that gave you the shirt) then you = sexy.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    Options
    I prefer to lift weights and feel sexy after lifting them... it seems to be the best use of my time and I don't feel like a gerbil on a wheel... like I do on a treadmill.

^^THIS!!!
  • l_ashley
    l_ashley Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    From my experience, men (esp if they lift weights themselves) are not bothered by a woman who lifts weights. My boyfriend loves weight lifting with me so he can stare while I do my squats. :blushing:

Women are the ones that talk about you behind your back. Usually its the ones that are too intimidated themselves to pump some iron.
  • Unashamed1
    Options
    Lifting weights and riding motorcycles - REAL WOMEN!!!
  • Runner5AbelTownship
    Runner5AbelTownship Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Sad to say you are in the minority. I get way more disparaging comments than compliments.
    Well, that makes it pretty easy to sort out whose comments are to be dismissed out of hand. Just curious, comments from men or from women?

Men to my face...women behind my back. HAHAHA

There were two little scrawny dudes in the gym last night laughing and speaking spanish while looking at me. Not sure if they were laughing at me or not. I just kept giving them the look like, if you're laughing at me, I'll kick your a@#! :wink: :smile:

I get that a lot at my gym here (I'm working in Moscow). I've only met one person there who speaks English, and it's a co-worker of mine. I get looks, and eyes, and laughs... it's all sorts of confusing...
    I have, however, managed to somehow share the squat rack more than once with a guy without us understanding a word the other person was saying :P Non-verbal communication ftw.

In between lifting I or practice hip lifts, circles and belly rolls. I'm too confusing to elicit scorn.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    Agreed. And I get to intently stare with no back lash.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options

Strong first post brah
  • str8bowbabe
    str8bowbabe Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    This thread makes me soooooooo happy!!!! All this time I was feeling very unsexy when lifting (while enjoying watching the guys lift).

Well I agree on the weights but real women BOWHUNT!
  • Unashamed1
    Options
    This thread makes me soooooooo happy!!!! All this time I was feeling very unsexy when lifting (while enjoying watching the guys lift).

Well I agree on the weights but real women BOWHUNT!

I'm not saying that real women only lift and ride - I'm talking about women staying women eventhough they have men-type hobbies.
  • SofaKingRad_II
    Options
    As long as it's not doing kipping pullups...but then that's not really lifting weights that's lifting themselves while cheating on a pullup...

I dunno. I guess kipping pullups aren't soooo bad to watch.

crossfit-pullups.jpg

kipping-pull-ups_thumb.jpg
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options

I dunno. I guess kipping pullups aren't soooo bad to watch.

crossfit-pullups.jpg

kipping-pull-ups_thumb.jpg
    nope, totally robs any of the sexiness...sorry.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    nothing sexier then this?

weightlifter-struggle-face.jpg
    I think that is sexy as hell & I don't care what anybody thinks. She's killing it...
  • Grendel07
    Grendel07 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    From my experience, men (esp if they lift weights themselves) are not bothered by a woman who lifts weights. My boyfriend loves weight lifting with me so he can stare while I do my squats. :blushing:

Women are the ones that talk about you behind your back. Usually its the ones that are too intimidated themselves to pump some iron.

yup! i get serious compliments from the men; women on the other hand - not so much. I really wish women would talk to me in the gym! i need some serious girl friend lifters! I think most of these girls just think i'm hitting on the guy they like at the gym. meh. i'm happliy married. I'll be more than happy to talk to anyone who lifts!