LCHF/KETO - New WOE seeking friends to share food diary.

Options

Replies

• Tigredia
    Tigredia Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I also love Keto. I have been on a low carb diet since January, with success. I found it hard to always watch out for the carbs that are hidden in food. Start Keto this month. Now I pretty much know what I can eat. Makes life a lot easier. Plus I'm never really Hungry so food isn't that exciting.
  • sheliemohrgallaugher
    Options
    Looking for low carb high fat buddys to stay on track. Please no hatters, I'll just delete you! Thanks!
  • Zsquared
    Zsquared Posts: 54
    Options
    Just started my keto journey a week ago & I'm always open to new friends. :)
  • mdallas6
    mdallas6 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    To follow any of the logic of 'people fail calorie counting so why do it' is ridiculous. Then why try anything? No matter which diet you follow, the basic premise of any of them of them is creating a calorie deficit. Whether you actually count the calories or not, the fact that you eliminate a food source creates a deficit and causes weight loss. Therefore, it's false logic to say that counting calories will fail. You might as well say all diets will fail. A person is much more likely to be successful in a calorie deficit that doesn't require him to feel deprived of a specific food, than to try to follow a diet plan that requires him to give up one or many specific foods.
    Any "diet" requires a deprivation of what one USED to eat....hence why they were overweight. To say I am more likely to be successful on low cal vs. low carb is not for anyone else but me to decide. What fits one person's life doesnt fit anothers. What works for me may not work for you. Not sure why low calorie people want to try to tell low carbers how to eat? I am loving my carb free life, my body is doing very well with it weight wise and physically better. Don't hate on someone else's way of eating. End rant!
  • mdallas6
    Options
    I just started with keto today.
    Way to go! You can do it!
  • mdallas6
    Options
    To follow any of the logic of 'people fail calorie counting so why do it' is ridiculous. Then why try anything? No matter which diet you follow, the basic premise of any of them of them is creating a calorie deficit. Whether you actually count the calories or not, the fact that you eliminate a food source creates a deficit and causes weight loss. Therefore, it's false logic to say that counting calories will fail. You might as well say all diets will fail. A person is much more likely to be successful in a calorie deficit that doesn't require him to feel deprived of a specific food, than to try to follow a diet plan that requires him to give up one or many specific foods.

I tried calorie counting and it didn't work. I was still hungry when I had met my calorie goal and I found having to weight and log my food to restricting (I want to just be able to dish food up and eat the amount I want).

On my own study of one calorie counting didn't work.

Same here. I counted calories for 6 months and got no where really except further and further away from my husband because I was SUCH a moody b*^%* 24/7... I was hungry all the time and had headaches all the time and exhausted all the time and didn't really get anywhere weight loss wise...

When I do low carb I feel so much better and the agitation and moodiness goes away. My insomnia gets better. My energy is higher. I want to do more physically.

I fully understand that not everyone has these results but I also understand that no "diet" is one size fits all.... From and insulin resistant standpoint I can't eat carbs and feel well...
    Exactly my point!! Way to go!
  • AMPitup89
    AMPitup89 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I thought I would share this little excerpt that maybe will provoke the low-calorie-gospel-folks out there to look into it for themselves. A calorie is NOT just a calorie.

source: http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2014/04/05/calories-overeating.aspx?e_cid=20140328Z1_buy_DNL_artTest_C6&utm_source=dnl&utm_medium=email&utm_content=artTest_C6&utm_campaign=20140328Z1_buy&et_cid=DM42939&et_rid=467770749#

Not All Calories Have the Identical Effect

The dogmatic belief that "a calorie is a calorie" has done much to contribute to the ever-worsening health of the Western world. It’s one of the first things dieticians learn in school, and it’s completely false.

Calories are not created equal, and as just mentioned, the source of the calories makes all the difference in the world. Groundbreaking research by Dr. Robert Lustig shows that calories from fructose are of particular concern.

According to Dr. Lustig, fructose is "isocaloric but not isometabolic." What this means is that identical calorie counts from fructose or glucose, fructose and protein, or fructose and fat, will cause entirely different metabolic effects.

The reason for this is largely because different nutrients provoke different hormonal responses, and those hormonal responses determine how much fat your body will accumulate and hold on to.

This is why the idea that you can lose weight by counting calories simply doesn't work. After fructose, other sugars and grains are among the most excessively consumed foods that promotes weight gain and chronic disease.

Another dogmatic belief that simply isn't true is the idea that obesity is the end result of eating too much and exercising too little; i.e. consuming more calories than you're expending.

Here, research by the likes of Dr. Richard Johnson clearly demonstrates that this too is a complete fallacy. Like Dr. Lustig, Dr. Johnson places most of the blame on excessive fructose consumption, and his book The Fat Switch shatters the myth that obesity is the result of eating too many calories and not exercising enough.
  • Tigredia
    Tigredia Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Thank you AMP for information and site. I have been believing this for years. We get to many chunk carbs even in low calorie food.
  • auntiesocial78
    auntiesocial78 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Waves.
    I've been lchf off and on since 2006. After some traumatic experiences, trying to get back on permanently. :)
    Not interested in debating the merits of this WOE!!

Add me? Auntiesocial78
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I thought I would share this little excerpt that maybe will provoke the low-calorie-gospel-folks out there to look into it for themselves. A calorie is NOT just a calorie.

source: http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2014/04/05/calories-overeating.aspx?e_cid=20140328Z1_buy_DNL_artTest_C6&utm_source=dnl&utm_medium=email&utm_content=artTest_C6&utm_campaign=20140328Z1_buy&et_cid=DM42939&et_rid=467770749#

Not All Calories Have the Identical Effect

The dogmatic belief that "a calorie is a calorie" has done much to contribute to the ever-worsening health of the Western world. It’s one of the first things dieticians learn in school, and it’s completely false.

Calories are not created equal, and as just mentioned, the source of the calories makes all the difference in the world. Groundbreaking research by Dr. Robert Lustig shows that calories from fructose are of particular concern.

According to Dr. Lustig, fructose is "isocaloric but not isometabolic." What this means is that identical calorie counts from fructose or glucose, fructose and protein, or fructose and fat, will cause entirely different metabolic effects.

The reason for this is largely because different nutrients provoke different hormonal responses, and those hormonal responses determine how much fat your body will accumulate and hold on to.

This is why the idea that you can lose weight by counting calories simply doesn't work. After fructose, other sugars and grains are among the most excessively consumed foods that promotes weight gain and chronic disease.

Another dogmatic belief that simply isn't true is the idea that obesity is the end result of eating too much and exercising too little; i.e. consuming more calories than you're expending.

Here, research by the likes of Dr. Richard Johnson clearly demonstrates that this too is a complete fallacy. Like Dr. Lustig, Dr. Johnson places most of the blame on excessive fructose consumption, and his book The Fat Switch shatters the myth that obesity is the result of eating too many calories and not exercising enough.

if anyone is curious..here is the rebuttal article to this…
    http://www.alanaragonblog.com/2010/01/29/the-bitter-truth-about-fructose-alarmism/?bcsi_scan_7b2bc02449b2137d=0
  • mdallas6
    Options
    I am also starting the LCHF diet tomorrow. I would love some friends following the same diet. Please include me. I have been on since January, following a low carb low calorie diet. Have lost some weight but seem to have stalled.
    keep those carbs low and it will work!
  • mitchdiane1964
    Options
    Hi I am new to keto and would love to join the journey with you!
  • rrsuthy
    rrsuthy Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    There are a couple of boards dedicated to keto. Search and then click on join and you will have the support of a lot of like-minded people.
  • mitchdiane1964
    Options
    I am very new to keto and would also love to see your diary. Can you add me as a friend as well?
  • mitchdiane1964
    Options
    Oh yay thank you! Going to look now
  • yummummum
    yummummum Posts: 257
    Options
    Looking for Keto Friends if anyone would like to add me.
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I've been keto now for a while - just started month number 40. (Yes, 3 years and 4 months). I chose the diet for medical reasons and it's been an amazing change.

I lost 100+ lbs before I joined MFP, have lost almost 40 more since - but I do fluctuate UP a little when I'm trying to add muscle.

My diary is always open, and I'm happy to have friend requests as well. Anyone that wants can add me.
  • mdallas6
    Options
    Is there a carb/fat/protein % that you guys are sticking with? I seem to be stuck and am trying to jump start my diet. Thanks!
  • KatVarley
    KatVarley Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Always have felt better on lower carb lifestyle. Have become interested in this Keto approach. Would love anyone here to add me as a friend. :))
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Is there a carb/fat/protein % that you guys are sticking with? I seem to be stuck and am trying to jump start my diet. Thanks!
    I'm typically higher-carb than most due to some pretty intense activity. I'm typically close to 10% carb, 70% fat , 20% protein.

If I have a stall or start dieting down (after a muscle-building cycle) I'll change it up and go under 5% carb, 75-80% or more fat and the rest protein.