you can't lose stomach fat if you don't eat "clean"?

Options

Replies

• stefaniemazz
    stefaniemazz Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Also, I use Extra Lean Ground Beef (90/10) for my chili instead of Ground Turkey, is that bad?

I know Ground Turkey is healthier because it's lower in fat, but I don't like the taste.

What makes you think ground turkey is "healthier"?

It certainly tastes like crap compared to ground beef.

People say its healthier. All these diet books and stuff say to use Ground Turkey instead of Ground Beef.

Protip: diet books and stuff are all BS.

Good to know.

Also, I have a cheat/re-feed day on Saturdays where I pretty much just eat junk. And by junk, I mean McDonalds for Lunch, going out for dinner, having some chips. Should I stop doing that? I feel like it helps though.

I eat fast food at least three-four times a week. Did this while losing weight and still doing this while successfully maintaining :smile: Eat the way now, that you want to eat for the rest of your life, because the weight loss phase is for a very short period of time compared to the many years of maintenance you have ahead of you. Why box yourself in with meaningless rules and restrictions about the foods you eat, when that's not realistically how you're going to be eating for the next 20, 30, 40+ years? Don't set yourself up for failure.

Right now is the time to focus on learning to remove emotion from eating, what portion sizes are, moderation, break bad eating habits etc. These things will be what separates you from the 95% that fail at long term weight loss success. Eat what you enjoy, learn how to deal with food properly and be happy, healthy and thin :smile:

Wow you ate fast food 3 days a week? You look awesome! And you have very flat abs.

Thanks for the advice.

3 times a week is nothing. Sometimes I eat fast food three times a *day*.

Your an inspiration. You eat "junk" (and healthy foods) of course and you still lose weight.

Good for you! :)

You made me realize that I don't have to eat clean to lose the weight. Thanks.
  • Laquincy
    Laquincy Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Realize that everyone metabolism/body fuctions and responds completely different. Not everyone is the same. What works for you may not work for the next person. You can't tell a normal indivdual who has basic diet/exercise princapls to eat they same way/things a competive athlete does...but that's JMO.

:laugh:

But you can (generally) tell an uninformed person by their lack of spelling, grammar.

lol funny, u still got da point. Aint nobdy got time fa dat. I cud rlly b rude n say sme unkind thngs, bt I'll take da high rode.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    wrong
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    It does matter what you eat. I am a RN, a clean eater and that is my opinion. To get the skinny abs you want yes it is important to exercise but 90% of it is nutrition. Granted you can get fat eating clean if you calories go over your defecit but I myself have a hard time getting in my calories. I don't do low carb, not paleo or vegetarian. I eat non processed 80-90% of the time and when I eat processed like mc donalds it makes me ill. So you are saying the calories in a mcdonalds whopper is the same of eating whole like foods, really???
    My story- I was over 100 pounds overweight in june when I walked into a gym near my job. My blood pressure was very high, and I felt horrible. I could barely get through my job of being an Intensive care nurse and knew I needed to do something. A new gym opened and our hospital insurance offered a 6 month free membership. I walked in and met a trainer who was kind and motivating he got me started on a cardio and weight training program and a clean eating program to follow.
    I by December lost 60 pounds. I lost 32 inches overall. This was on my bust, waist (10inches), hips (6 inches) and arms and thighs. I went from a size 24 to a size 16. I am only around halfway there.
    Over the holidays I went back to my old habits, not crazy but eating junk and cookies and hamburgers out and the weight piled on. I just got back to it last week and losing what I gained so I can continue.
    Clean eating does matter. I have done every diet there is, nutrisystem, weight watchers, jenny craig but clean eating is the only thing that worked. I am not saying if you did ww or jc or another diet it won't work but it did not for me.
    how much do I exercise??? 3-4 days a week around 60 min. So you don't have to exercise like a crazy person.

I'll match your story with my story-

I approached weight loss differently and still continued eating fast food 3-4 times a week, gobs of packaged 'processed' foods, diet soda by the bucket etc etc. But, I began using tools I was learning like measuring out portion sizes, moderation, broke bad eating habits (mindless night time snacking was a big one), and I restricted calories. I did NO exercise at all during this time. I did NOT change the kinds of food I ate and continued to eat what I liked.

End result?

I've lost over 50 lbs and went from a size 14 jean to a size 2. I can now take my three kids to the beach and rock a two piece swimsuit.

I no longer have a glucose number in the pre-diabetice range (last fasting number came in at an 89). My last blood work came back pretty much perfect. I am healthy with no issues at all.

Clean eating had absolutely nothing to do with my weight loss or my new, healthier body. Counting calories did.
  • GamerLady
    GamerLady Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    it is two parts:

1) no matter how much ab work you do, you won't be able to see them until your body fat % gets fairly low. That is done by maintaining a caloric deficit.

2) Not as big of a deal as 1, but certain food can cause water retention which can make you appear a little pudgy. However, if your %BF is low, your abs will still show, they just won't be quite as defined.

"clean" diet has very little to do with it, honestly. But it is easier to keep water under control and keep a caloric deficit when you aren't eating a lot of junk food.

I agree with you.
  • stefaniemazz
    stefaniemazz Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    It does matter what you eat. I am a RN, a clean eater and that is my opinion. To get the skinny abs you want yes it is important to exercise but 90% of it is nutrition. Granted you can get fat eating clean if you calories go over your defecit but I myself have a hard time getting in my calories. I don't do low carb, not paleo or vegetarian. I eat non processed 80-90% of the time and when I eat processed like mc donalds it makes me ill. So you are saying the calories in a mcdonalds whopper is the same of eating whole like foods, really???
    My story- I was over 100 pounds overweight in june when I walked into a gym near my job. My blood pressure was very high, and I felt horrible. I could barely get through my job of being an Intensive care nurse and knew I needed to do something. A new gym opened and our hospital insurance offered a 6 month free membership. I walked in and met a trainer who was kind and motivating he got me started on a cardio and weight training program and a clean eating program to follow.
    I by December lost 60 pounds. I lost 32 inches overall. This was on my bust, waist (10inches), hips (6 inches) and arms and thighs. I went from a size 24 to a size 16. I am only around halfway there.
    Over the holidays I went back to my old habits, not crazy but eating junk and cookies and hamburgers out and the weight piled on. I just got back to it last week and losing what I gained so I can continue.
    Clean eating does matter. I have done every diet there is, nutrisystem, weight watchers, jenny craig but clean eating is the only thing that worked. I am not saying if you did ww or jc or another diet it won't work but it did not for me.
    how much do I exercise??? 3-4 days a week around 60 min. So you don't have to exercise like a crazy person.

I approached weight loss differently and still continued eating fast food 3-4 times a week, gobs of packaged 'processed' foods, diet soda by the bucket etc etc. But, I began using tools I was learning like measuring out portion sizes, moderation, broke bad eating habits (mindless night time snacking was a big one), and I restricted calories. I did NO exercise at all during this time. I did NOT change the kinds of food I ate and continued to eat what I liked.

End result?

I've lost over 50 lbs and went from a size 14 jean to a size 2. I can now take my three kids to the beach and rock a two piece swimsuit.

I no longer have a glucose number in the pre-diabetice range (last fasting number came in at an 89). My last blood work came back pretty much perfect. I am healthy with no issues at all.

Clean eating had absolutely nothing to do with my weight loss or my new, healthier body. Counting calories did.

Love it!!

Good for you. You look fantastic.
  • Kidostud
    Kidostud Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later.
  • saradord
    saradord Posts: 129
    Options

End result?

Love it!!

I totally agree!! The combination of hormones and neurotransmitters that naturally occur in the body by eating the mix of beneficial fat, lean protein and complex low glycemic index carbs you can actually encourage your body to burn fat but also give you more focus on th e energy more consistantly through the day.
  • saradord
    Options

End result?

Love it!!

I totally agree!! The combination of hormones and neurotransmitters that naturally occur in the body by eating the mix of beneficial fat, lean protein and complex low glycemic index carbs you can actually encourage your body to burn fat but also give you more focus on th e energy more consistantly through the day.
    everyones has their own unique biochoemical individuality so not one diet will work for another, its mainly about support and realizing we are human , amazing stories to ready , Great work!!
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Deficit...

Abs are made in the gym... they are revealed in the kitchen.

Disagree! :angry: They should be revealed in your profile pic...
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    everyones has their own unique biochoemical individuality so not one diet will work for another, its mainly about support and realizing we are human , amazing stories to ready , Great work!!

This is the second time you have used this term. What is your definition of it?
  • saradord
    Options

everyone has unique and specific genetically determined nutrition requirements
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

No.
  • saradord
    Options

No.
    thanx for the advise it was great!!!!
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

No.
    thanx for the advise it was great!!!!

You're welcome!
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Deficit...

Better?
  • J72FIT
    Options

Care to elaborate?
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Deficit...

Better?

Much! Very nice!
  • saradord
    Options

everyones genetics are different , thus meaning we all dont lose weight the same or store it the same, our bodies are different, our metabolisms are different our hormones are different meaning you could put 2 people on the same diet and they will loose it diffferently.

Care to elaborate?
  • J72FIT
    Options
    Deficit...

Better?

Much! Very nice!

=)P