24 hour water fast/detox... Yes?

Options

Replies

• _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options

We'll for one.. Dr Oz is a doctor. So I can see why many people put so much trust in his words. And to answer your question I do not believe opinions NOR research to be 100 % true. Because when I do.. There's always the 'new research studies show'..

In my opinion, Dr. Oz is a snake oil salesmen. He might be knowledgeable in some aspects but I think when you start pimping weight loss pills to people you lose all credibility. IMHO.
  • Stargrace2
    Stargrace2 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Drink lots of water every day, along with a reasonable diet. You don't need to do a water fast and only consume water.

Detox is just a catch word, there isn't some magic thing to eat or drink, your body does this all by itself every day without some special fast or diet.

Your body already cleanses. You just need to listen to ^
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    What criteria are you going to use when you finally make the determination as to what is fact, or readily accepted with mountains of evidence, vs pure opinion/conjecture?

- Are you going to rely on peer reviewed research?
    - Are you going to rely on whatever website pops up on google?
    - Are you going to rely on your own opinion?
    - Are you going to rely on information from detox oriented sites?
    - Are you going to rely on consensus?

What, in your mind, separates fact from opinion and how are you going to use the information in this thread?

Great question! Since I do not have the money time or resources to go and get a 100% answer.. I will just have to rely on me. My feel on the water cleanse.. That would be the final say. Me.

Having the luxury of google.. And hundreds of health, weight loss friends here in MFP just adds to helping me reach a decision for my body. But doesn't act as a final say.. For as I said. That relays in me solely.

Thanks !

I have a follow up question:

If the majority of evidence from reliable sources such as medical journals and actual research, heavily slanted in one direction on any given issue, would you still go with your feelings or would you go with what the evidence dictates?.

If I felt I found more negative than positive I wouldn't hesitate to put water cleansing aside. Another good question :)

I have another question:

Do you understand the difference between research and opinion as it pertains to articles you read on the internet? I'm not asking this to insult your intelligence. It's an important question because many people unfortunately mistake things like Dr. Oz for quality information.

We'll for one.. Dr Oz is a doctor. So I can see why many people put so much trust in his words. And to answer your question I do not believe opinions NOR research to be 100 % true. Because when I do.. There's always the 'new research studies show'..

They put trust in him because they lack the ability to think critically or research topics beyond what they see on television.

Doctor Oz has repeatedly been shown to push supplements and make overreaching claims about said supplements despite lack of evidence. He is an entertainer.

Regarding research, there's not always new research to say anything. You won't find research showing that oranges cause you to grow additional testicles for example. The fact that research continues to develop is not a reason to discard it entirely. A better habit would be to consider the available research as a whole, what limitations it may have, and what a practical application of it may be, if any.

For your own sake, I think you should spend some time re-evaluating what you qualify as evidence before trusting yourself to make a decision about things, especially topics like this where it's very clear-cut.
  • Stargrace2
    Stargrace2 Posts: 48 Member
    Options

In my opinion, Dr. Oz is a snake oil salesmen. He might be knowledgeable in some aspects but I think when you start pimping weight loss pills to people you lose all credibility. IMHO.

+1
  • _Tay_
    _Tay_ Posts: 95
    Options
    Drink lots of water every day, along with a reasonable diet. You don't need to do a water fast and only consume water.

Detox is just a catch word, there isn't some magic thing to eat or drink, your body does this all by itself every day without some special fast or diet.

Your body already cleanses. You just need to listen to ^
  • bethannien
    bethannien Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    What criteria are you going to use when you finally make the determination as to what is fact, or readily accepted with mountains of evidence, vs pure opinion/conjecture?

What, in your mind, separates fact from opinion and how are you going to use the information in this thread?

Great question! Since I do not have the money time or resources to go and get a 100% answer.. I will just have to rely on me. My feel on the water cleanse.. That would be the final say. Me.

Having the luxury of google.. And hundreds of health, weight loss friends here in MFP just adds to helping me reach a decision for my body. But doesn't act as a final say.. For as I said. That relays in me solely.

Thanks !

If the majority of evidence from reliable sources such as medical journals and actual research, heavily slanted in one direction on any given issue, would you still go with your feelings or would you go with what the evidence dictates?.

If I felt I found more negative than positive I wouldn't hesitate to put water cleansing aside. Another good question :)

I have another question:

Do you understand the difference between research and opinion as it pertains to articles you read on the internet? I'm not asking this to insult your intelligence. It's an important question because many people unfortunately mistake things like Dr. Oz for quality information.

The fact that Dr. Oz uses his credibility as a doctor to convince people his endorsements are legitimate makes him even more abhorrent, IMHO. Because people see that he's a doctor and think he must be telling the truth.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    droz.jpg
  • _Tay_
    Options

Thanks !

I have another question:

They put trust in him because they lack the ability to think critically or research topics beyond what they see on television.

Doctor Oz has repeatedly been shown to push supplements and make overreaching claims about said supplements despite lack of evidence. He is an entertainer.

Regarding research, there's not always new research to say anything. You won't find research showing that oranges cause you to grow additional testicles for example. The fact that research continues to refine and develop is not a reason to discard it entirely. A better habit would be to consider the available research as a whole, what limitations it may have, and what a practical application of it may be, if any.

For your own sake, I think you should spend some time re-evaluating what you qualify as evidence before trusting yourself to make a decision about things, especially topics like this where it's very clear-cut.

Thanks for the reply. I never would trust a man on television 100%.. Doctor or not. Never said I would. And I was asked if I would trust opinions or research.. To which I said neither 100%. And yes.. Research is developing and refining.. Just as stating that a water cleanse does nothing.. To something.. To helpful.. To harmful. It's possible.

As a whole.. Putting research AND MFP community along with my take on it.. I would make a decision.

• _Tay_
    Options
    droz.jpg

LOL
  • _Tay_
    Options

Thanks !

I have another question:

The fact that Dr. Oz uses his credibility as a doctor to convince people his endorsements are legitimate makes him even more abhorrent, IMHO. Because people see that he's a doctor and think he must be telling the truth.

Yep! It's tricky! But brilliant on his part.
  • faely
    faely Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Lol thanks everyone for your opinions! As they are all just opinions ... But greatly appreciated. Especially thanks to those of you who voted against the fast and wasn't a little negative nancy about it ;)

I enjoy reading different perspectives on water only for 24 hours.. And if you've actually tried it even better!

I DO want a safe healthy body.. And my intention wasn't to lose weight off of this detox. I too have read up on it.. But don't believe everything I read online. Just looking for other points of view in a polite manner, thanks!

They are not just opinions.

Could you point us to what the body actually detoxes by doing a water fast, above that which the body does anyway? I have researched it and can never find it. If you have found this illusive holy grail, please share.

Sure! I have not found a holy grail... Sad huh? What I did find we're different sites for this detox. As I stated.. True? Who knows. Turning to this community and posting this topic was mainly to hear other opinions. I know for a fact water does cleanse .. Or detox.. blood urea nitrogen. But that is not something I am focused on. Simone healthy wrote a great list on what water detoxing does for the body. I'll have to look up the web address.. (Inbox me if interested). But on top of that Google is FILLED with pro water detox sites. Again I'll say... True? Not sure. Thanks for your opinion thought and everyone else's!

My goodness, surely you aren't saying that by googling a topic, you can assume the first sites that pop up are legit? :noway:

It's the internet. EVERYTHING is legit dontchaknow :yawn:
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Lol thanks everyone for your opinions! As they are all just opinions ... But greatly appreciated. Especially thanks to those of you who voted against the fast and wasn't a little negative nancy about it ;)

I enjoy reading different perspectives on water only for 24 hours.. And if you've actually tried it even better!

I DO want a safe healthy body.. And my intention wasn't to lose weight off of this detox. I too have read up on it.. But don't believe everything I read online. Just looking for other points of view in a polite manner, thanks!

Could you point us to what the body actually detoxes by doing a water fast, above that which the body does anyway? I have researched it and can never find it. If you have found this illusive holy grail, please share.

Sure! I have not found a holy grail... Sad huh? What I did find we're different sites for this detox. As I stated.. True? Who knows. Turning to this community and posting this topic was mainly to hear other opinions. I know for a fact water does cleanse .. Or detox.. blood urea nitrogen. But that is not something I am focused on. Simone healthy wrote a great list on what water detoxing does for the body. I'll have to look up the web address.. (Inbox me if interested). But on top of that Google is FILLED with pro water detox sites. Again I'll say... True? Not sure. Thanks for your opinion thought and everyone else's!

My goodness, surely you aren't saying that by googling a topic, you can assume the first sites that pop up are legit? :noway:

BONJOUR!!
  • _Tay_
    Options

Check out that sentence after the one you made bold. ;). I do not believe it... But would love to learn and hear more about it from others... Thanks!
  • April_KT
    April_KT Posts: 332 Member
    Options

Check out that sentence after the one you made bold. ;). I do not believe it... But would love to learn and hear more about it from others... Thanks!

Owned lmao
  • bethannien
    bethannien Posts: 556 Member
    Options

Thanks !

I have another question:

Yep! It's tricky! But brilliant on his part.

Yep brilliant of him to take advantage of the desperate. For reals, I don't feel too sorry for the folks that fall for it because any amount of critical thinking and research will tell us that a magic fix simply does not exist. But if a doctor looked at you and said, "I have a magic cure to help you lose weight. And it's easy and you don't have to work very hard at it." I know it would be hard to roll my eyes and say "yeah right," even though I logically know it makes no sense.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Someone save me from three pages of reading. Is the following question answered in this thread?
    Which toxins are being eliminated in this detox that wouldn't otherwise be eliminated by the body while still eating food.

You don't have to name all of them...just one. Please, OP, just give the name of *ONE* toxin. Thanks in advance. :flowerforyou:

I hope so. I really really do.

3 words, jof. 'blood urea nitrogen'

Well, I have to say that the OP does have a nice attitude, so let's talk about blood urea nitrogen.

Blood isn't a toxin. Neither in urea, although in very high concentration (like many metabolites) it certainly is toxic, but it is generally not considered a toxin. Nitrogen? Boy, it's very difficult to consider that as a toxin - life simply would not exist without nitrogen. But again, at high concentrations, it can be toxic.

Does a water detox eliminate or remove urea or nitrogen?

Nope. In fact, without nitrogen or urea you'd be dead. Urea is actually necessary for the maintenance of water in the body. Nitrogen is part of what makes up proteins. You need both. Btw, urea is the primary transport system for excess nitrogen and is eliminated mostly by the kidneys - you pee it out whether you do a fast or not.
  • faely
    faely Posts: 144 Member
    Options

You wink a lot. It doesn't really do anything for your statements fyi; would have been better if you hadn't misquoted again.

My statement (the one after the one I made bold, so I think i already checked it out as I'm the one that wrote it) uses this clever little trick called sarcasm. I'm not sure how many different people need to tell you and quote you resources of actual scientific information that just drinking water doesn't CLEANSE anything before you believe it. Your body does that naturally for you. That's fact, not opinion. You seem to be ignoring that, making this thread annoying and stupid. Good luck with your opinion hunting. Facts > opinion.
  • _Tay_
    Options

You wink a lot. It doesn't really do anything for your statements fyi; would have been better if you hadn't misquoted again.

My statement (the one after the one I made bold, so I think i already checked it out as I'm the one that wrote it) uses this clever little trick called sarcasm. I'm not sure how many different people need to tell you and quote you resources of actual scientific information that just drinking water doesn't CLEANSE anything before you believe it. Your body does that naturally for you. That's fact, not opinion. You seem to be ignoring that, making this thread annoying and stupid. Good luck with your opinion hunting. Facts > opinion.

I like to wink.. Not trying to gain from it.. It's how I type. It's what I do. ;)
    Your sarcastic remark basically pointing fingers that since it came from Google.. I think it must be true. At least, that's what it looked like. I don't really see your point in making the sarcastic remark otherwise.. As I already stated I do not trust internet sources.

And I already know my body cleanses naturally.. My body also naturally loses and gains weight. That doesn't mean I can't simply post a topic asking for advice or perspectives on water cleansing.

I'm sorry you think this thread is stupid. I have been kind .. Been upfront and honest. It's mostly ignorant commenters that make it stupid... We'll to me anyways. <<opinion ;)
  • April_KT
    April_KT Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Someone save me from three pages of reading. Is the following question answered in this thread?
    Which toxins are being eliminated in this detox that wouldn't otherwise be eliminated by the body while still eating food.

You don't have to name all of them...just one. Please, OP, just give the name of *ONE* toxin. Thanks in advance. :flowerforyou:

POOP she wants to get rid of the backed up pipes lmao will a water fast do the rick? no but this will :wink: http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=414316&catid=184260&aid=338666&aparam=18283950120All_products&device=c&network=g&matchtype=

You know they say you hold quite a few pounds of poop in you thats why they say to go get an enema :huh:
  • _Tay_
    Options

I hope so. I really really do.

3 words, jof. 'blood urea nitrogen'

Well, I have to say that the OP does have a nice attitude, so let's talk about blood urea nitrogen.

Blood isn't a toxin. Neither in urea, although in very high concentration (like many metabolites) it certainly is toxic, but it is generally not considered a toxin. Nitrogen? Boy, it's very difficult to consider that as a toxin - life simply would not exist without nitrogen. But again, at high concentrations, it can be toxic.

Does a water detox eliminate or remove urea or nitrogen?

Nope. In fact, without nitrogen or urea you'd be dead. Urea is actually necessary for the maintenance of water in the body. Nitrogen is part of what makes up proteins. You need both. Btw, urea is the primary transport system for excess nitrogen and is eliminated mostly by the kidneys - you pee it out whether you do a fast or not.

Thanks for the input. And to add.. I don't really feel the need to focus on that toxin. It's just what I remembered. I may be wrong . Wouldn't surprise me. Thanks again. ;)