God Forbid we eat fast food

Options

Replies

• stefaniemazz
    stefaniemazz Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Chick-fil-a is the only option.

Everything else is gross and will eventually give you cancer.

Seriously?

Fast food will give you cancer?
  • thatjosiegirl
    thatjosiegirl Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Jack in the Box - They have a great grilled chicken salad!
    Subway
    Jimmy Johns - Make it an "Unwich" and choose your own toppings.
    Chipotle
    Wendys - Salad, Chili, Potatoes
    Taco Bell - Chicken Fresco Tacos are tasty and low cal.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    MFP is full of people who used to love fast food, then convinced themselves it's "gross" while they lose weight.

+10,000
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    MFP is full of people who used to love fast food, then convinced themselves it's "gross" while they lose weight.

I think it is because of brain farts, because of all the fat they are cutting out of their diets!
  • krissynicole787
    krissynicole787 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    When I don't have time to pack a lunch or I just don't have anything to bring, I always stop at Dunkin Donuts and get a veggie egg white flatbread. And stare at the donuts...:love:
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

I once saw a comment where someone thought the smell of McDonald's french fries was the worst smell, and smelled of "chemicals."

Maybe if they meant "chemicals" as in the smell could get you high...
  • mindidily
    mindidily Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I don't eat much fast food anymore. I hate spending money so I don't budget it in as much as I used to. I bring my lunch and snacks. So when I do go, it is planned and I splurge. McDonald's and Wendy's are my favorite on the east coast but the west coast has my all time favorite places (jack in the box!).
    If it's an unplanned fast food/take out day, I've gotten pretty good at restraint.
  • jess135177
    jess135177 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I generally pack my lunch for budget reasons. Most of the fast food I do get is off of the value menus, just make sure it fits your day!
  • RachyLovesRattys
    RachyLovesRattys Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I LOVED fast food but it didn't love me. I really did eat it for every meal while getting my associate's degree (Wendy's was on the way and Taco Bell was down the block--across the street from BK and KFC!) and I gained over 20 pounds in 2 years....

Now--I forbid myself from anywhere with a drive-thru. Really. For some reason my brain doesn't consider it "fast food" if I go inside.

I like Moe's (they have tofu options and great kids meals), Chipotle, Smashburger--pretty much anywhere that there IS a truly healthy option (Black Bean Burgers--Multigrain Buns) and I look at my day and eat accordingly. I usually just try and lay off the sauces and extra cheese (my weakness!!)

But I can't go anywhere near a Taco Bell---there is NOTHING for me there...even the salads are some ish like 2000 calories bc of the friggin tortilla bowl! UGH! They are my number 1 no-go.

But hey, I lost 25 pounds so I must be doing something right!
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Chick-fil-a is the only option.

Everything else is gross and will eventually give you cancer.

Oh please. What a ridiculous statement. I know people who eat perfectly and still get cancer.

Uhm...sense of humor...sarcasm...funny....etc... :bigsmile:
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

THis.gif
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I eat fast food once a week because I love the stuff. Yes, I know it's terrible for me, and yes, I know it's full of salt and sugar and crap, but whatever. It's once a week. I only eat dinner anyway, so I can usually just eat whatever I want from anywhere. Wendy's is definitely a favourite though, because it's delicious.

It's not terrible for you. There is nothing wrong with salt and sugar in moderation. I don't know about *crap* though.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    But I can't go anywhere near a Taco Bell---there is NOTHING for me there...even the salads are some ish like 2000 calories bc of the friggin tortilla bowl! UGH! They are my number 1 no-go.

What on earth? 3 crunchy tacos from Taco Bell are like 540 calories. The shredded chicken smothered burrito, which is enormous, is just a bit over 600.
  • NeIIaBeIIa
    NeIIaBeIIa Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I've never been a take out eater, even when more overweight. My husband laughs at me because I've never eaten KFC... or Burger King .. or whatever the other 300 fast food chains are in the US (am not from here). Got food poisoning from Subway salad in 2008, can't go back. Thought I was going to die...

Anyway, most days I pack my lunch, but some days, like today, I left it on the kitchen bench...

So I left my real food at home, need real food to replace it...

I go to a supermarket/grocery store and get a small avocado and shrimp sushi roll (fresh made in front of me!), a tub of greek yogurt, piece of fruit etc. or soups, salads, sandwiches whatever you prefer. Easy, fresh and for the same $. I prefer to avoid the fast food... personal choice I know, I don't have a problem with others doing it, isn't for me.

Anyway. Most places have supermarkets with all sorts of hours. All sorts of real food. Make the choice, tis up to you. My motto is fresh, light, healthy, cos that's what I want to be.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I don't avoid it because it's bad for me. I avoid it because it's gross.

This.

You guys are having the wrong fast food. You can't really think all fast food is gross?

Ikr?

I prefer not to eat fast food, most of the time, but if I do, I eat the following:

1. Starbuck's: Spinach Feta wraps or protein boxes
    2. Taco Bell: 1 hard shell taco and a pintos and cheese (Taco Bell IS gross, quality-wise, but I still like it.)
    3. Taco Cabana: street tacos--yum!!!
    4. Chipotle: burrito bowl, not too much rice, lots of salsa (eat half)
    5. FreeBird's Burritos: Burrito, no rice, sometimes no cheese (eat half)
    6. Smoothie King: Small Chocolate Shredder--Yum!

Although, it's my meal for almost the entire day and incredibly greasy, I like Long John Silver's: 1 fish, 1 chicken, with pups and fries. I usually don't eat all of the fries, because they suck when they get cold. Typically, this is my hangover food...that or a Sonic Chili Cheeseburger with Jalapeno Poppers and ranch. Yay, hangover food...:drinker: Although, my drinking has been cut waaaay back, in the past year, or so, which is a good thing. :wink:
  • DanielleDavids
    DanielleDavids Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I honestly haven't stepped a foot into a fast food restaurant in well over a year (Unless you could Starbucks & Tim Hortons for coffee) I used to eat a lot of Subway but then i read some article about how gross the meat was and I've also cut out gluten so that's not an option for me. Honestly, I find that a lot of things I used to enjoy including fast food just taste off and processed to me. If I'm going to cheat it's going to be something super delicious with quality ingredients like homemade burgers loaded with veggies and sweet potato fries, or a steak dinner at a restaurant or a bowl of pasta with really awesome ingredients that compliment each other, etc. So for me, fast food isn't worth it at all anymore. If I'm starving and need something fast I'd rather hit up a grocery store than a fast food restaurant. This is totally all a personal choice though and I really don't think there's anything wrong with occasionally eating fast food!

That said, I think that fast food restaurants are getting a LOT better at providing healthy options and you can easily look up the nutritional information on your phone and make the right choices for you at almost any fast food restaurant. I have no self control, so my problem would be actually choosing the healthy choices over the fries and chicken fingers or something. ;) I've also heard that the new veggie wraps at McDonalds are yummy and super reasonable in terms of price, ingredients and calories. And honestly, if you want to indulge in something NOT healthy from a fast food restaurant go for it and don't feel guilty if you've hit your nutrition and exercise goals for the week. I firmly believe that cheat meals should be a serving of whatever you want, including fast food! :D
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I LOVED fast food but it didn't love me. I really did eat it for every meal while getting my associate's degree (Wendy's was on the way and Taco Bell was down the block--across the street from BK and KFC!) and I gained over 20 pounds in 2 years....

Now--I forbid myself from anywhere with a drive-thru. Really. For some reason my brain doesn't consider it "fast food" if I go inside.

I like Moe's (they have tofu options and great kids meals), Chipotle, Smashburger--pretty much anywhere that there IS a truly healthy option (Black Bean Burgers--Multigrain Buns) and I look at my day and eat accordingly. I usually just try and lay off the sauces and extra cheese (my weakness!!)

But hey, I lost 25 pounds so I must be doing something right!
    :huh: A Fiesta Taco salad with bowl is 780 calories. Switch out the beef for chicken and it's 730 calories. Or you could get a couple tacos for 170 calories a piece, or live it up and get a couple of supreme ones for 200 calories a piece :drinker:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Okay I know we all try to avoid fast food, but the reality of it is, sometimes its unavoidable. In my opinion starving yourself until you get home is worse than grabbing a takeout meal. So my question to you: If you just absolutely have to eat fast food, where do you go and what do you order?

I'm sure there are plenty of folks on MFP that don't avoid fast food, but your scenario is fascinating to me.

How far am I from home that I will starve before I get there without fast food? And if there is fast food available, why wouldn't other food also be available (like say, a grocery store)? Have I been dropped in the middle of some wilderness devoid of natural food and civilization except for fast food restaurants?

If that very odd thing were to happen, I suppose I'd eat whatever was available, because I'm sure it's all better than starving.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I don't avoid it because it's bad for me. I avoid it because it's gross.

This.

You guys are having the wrong fast food. You can't really think all fast food is gross?

To be fair, I have had some fast food that would be enough to turn you off. You know, the McDonald's in the middle of nowhere that's still open at 3 A.M. and serves you cold fries, or a Wendy's that gives you a "chicken sandwich" that should have been made as you ordered... but clearly wasn't.

But I find this is location, location, location. Find the one that gets hit up all the time, the fries and food will be fresher.

I have fast food maybe once a month, but I will not hate. Except for Burger King. Get your act together, BK.
  • Rachelito
    Rachelito Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    When I eat fast food, typically once a week, I like

Subway
    Schlotzsky's
    Panera
    Chipotle
    Chick-Fil-A