God Forbid we eat fast food

Options

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    My absolute favorite of all fast food has got to be an Arby's roast beef with three pepper sauce.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

I'm sure there are plenty of folks on MFP that don't avoid fast food, but your scenario is fascinating to me.

How far am I from home that I will starve before I get there without fast food? And if there is fast food available, why wouldn't other food also be available (like say, a grocery store)? Have I been dropped in the middle of some wilderness devoid of natural food and civilization except for fast food restaurants?

If that very odd thing were to happen, I suppose I'd eat whatever was available, because I'm sure it's all better than starving.

I for one also live in a rural area where the drive home from places (add the city traffic into that equation as well) can be long... sometimes over an hour. I've been out many times and just waited too damn long to eat when I start shaking and I get dizzy and if I don't eat something I'm likely to pass out. I have no qualms whatsoever about driving through a Wendy's for a grilled chicken wrap with no honey mustard and calling it a meal.

Not having qualms about it is not the same thing as it being unavoidable, as in the OP's scenario. My point is that I don't believe fast food is ever unavoidable. I can't imagine a situation where the only choices were starving or fast food.

If you choose to eat fast food then just own the choice, don't make it seem like you didn't have one.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I duck into a supermarket and buy bananas or dates or some walnuts to keep me going until I get home. I can't think of one good reason to eat fast food. That's easy for me since I think it's disgusting and am also horrified by the way animals are treated to make that kind of food. I am filled with horror at the mere thought of going to Macdonalds or Kentucky Fried Chicken or Burger King or any of those kinds of places.

If I can't get to a supermarket to buy something like blueberries or walnuts then I guess I would think about a sandwhich that would be better than a drive through place? Surely starving oneself is better than eating from a drive through fast food place? Or am I the only person who feels like this about junk food?

:huh:
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    But I can't go anywhere near a Taco Bell---there is NOTHING for me there...even the salads are some ish like 2000 calories bc of the friggin tortilla bowl! UGH! They are my number 1 no-go.

What on earth? 3 crunchy tacos from Taco Bell are like 540 calories. The shredded chicken smothered burrito, which is enormous, is just a bit over 600.

Yeah, Taco Bell has more low-cal options than most.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Surely starving oneself is better than eating from a drive through fast food place?

Honey.gif
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Fast food just makes me hungrier. I can knock down 3 McWendy's Whoppers in like 3 minutes and still want more. I spend more time ****ing the stuff out than I do enjoying it.

How does eating make you hungry? Some people say this about Chinese food too. I don't get it. Eating always makes me UN-hungry. :ohwell:
  • bumblebreezy91
    bumblebreezy91 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I will pick up a snack wrap at McDonald's once or twice a month. It's usually when I'm out, forgot to pack something, and have appointments and can't get to my apt or the one store in my area. I do try to avoid it altogether, but I feel like it does help me avoid the stuff I used to get there (like burgers and fries) and avoid any binges. I haven't actually eaten my "regular" McDonald's fare since I started doing the snack wrap only and it's been about three months.
  • twixlepennie
    Options
    I duck into a supermarket and buy bananas or dates or some walnuts to keep me going until I get home. I can't think of one good reason to eat fast food. That's easy for me since I think it's disgusting and am also horrified by the way animals are treated to make that kind of food. I am filled with horror at the mere thought of going to Macdonalds or Kentucky Fried Chicken or Burger King or any of those kinds of places.

If I can't get to a supermarket to buy something like blueberries or walnuts then I guess I would think about a sandwhich that would be better than a drive through place? Surely starving oneself is better than eating from a drive through fast food place? Or am I the only person who feels like this about junk food?

You're not, but many of us have learned to balance good health and weight without demonizing food as "junk." I think being "horrified" by any food, save a food you're severely allergic to, is kind of dramatic, don't you think?

I'd agree with you if I hadn't see videos of how animals are treated by the fast food industry. Thanks for letting me know you're aware of other people who feel the same way as I do about junk food. (it's a normal name for that here, nobody calls it fast food, it's a standard label to just call it junk food - it's a cultural difference more than dramatic effect).

I've seen several of those videos as well (If slaughterhouses had glass walls etc). I still enjoy fast food 3-4 times a week :drinker:
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Why must it be fast food? Today I was late for work so was unable to go home for lunch and prepare a normal healthy meal, so I went to Panaera Bread and got a Chicken & Hummus Power Bowl. 330 calories, ton of protien and it fills me up. I don't do this often, but it works in a pinch. I haven't been to a McDonalds or Wendy's or any other fast food place in years, though I'm sure if I were "forced" to go I could find something healthy and low calorie I could eat so I wouldn't starve.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    I usually get a grilled chicken sandwich with just lettuce and tomato and take off one side of the bun, or a burger the same way. If I can get it unseasoned, even better. I'll get a small or child sized french fry with no salt. I don't feel deprived and I've cut back to eating out to just 1 meal a week, which is a VAST improvement.

For breakfast you really can't beat a yogurt parfait from McD's, or the oatmeal plain.
  • amyx593
    amyx593 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    TACO BELL!!! Yum
  • asianmonkie
    Options
    Subway, Togo's, Jamba Juice, and when I have the calories, Sbarros. :D
  • desaree01
    desaree01 Posts: 33 Member
    Options

You're not, but many of us have learned to balance good health and weight without demonizing food as "junk." I think being "horrified" by any food, save a food you're severely allergic to, is kind of dramatic, don't you think?

I'd agree with you if I hadn't see videos of how animals are treated by the fast food industry. Thanks for letting me know you're aware of other people who feel the same way as I do about junk food. (it's a normal name for that here, nobody calls it fast food, it's a standard label to just call it junk food - it's a cultural difference more than dramatic effect).

I've seen several of those videos as well (If slaughterhouses had glass walls etc). I still enjoy fast food 3-4 times a week :drinker:

Well lets just be real here. Its a slaughter house. Whether for a fast food joint vs a supermarket. A slaughter house is a slaughter house. Since when is killing an animal not inhumane? LOL. ijs....
  • desaree01
    desaree01 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Surely starving oneself is better than eating from a drive through fast food place?

Honey.gif

This!!!
  • OregonRunner5
    OregonRunner5 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I usually eat McDonalds breakfast each Saturday morning as a treat. It hasn't effected my weight loss or weight gain, but snacking during the week and the holiday treats did. I usually put in a long run Saturday afternoon of over 6 miles so maybe I just run it off.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Well lets just be real here. Its a slaughter house. Whether for a fast food joint vs a supermarket. A slaughter house is a slaughter house. Since when is killing an animal not inhumane? LOL. ijs....

Often the problen is how the animals are treated before they are killed.
  • AbigailWins
    Options

Great, keep eating it, shovel it into you face as much as you want, it's your right to do that AND to have free speech and I defend your right to have that. Drink a bucket of cola while you're at it too! :-)
  • tinamariecleg
    tinamariecleg Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Moe's close talker salad ( no fried shell) I love Wendy's chili...
  • AbigailWins
    Options

Honey.gif

This!!!

That's great for you! Eat whatever crap you want to, it's your right to make those choices. You can even be smug about it too, that's what is so great about free speech. You can be smug about wanting to eat junk and I can be smug about not wanting to! How fantastic is that!!! :-)
  • twixlepennie
    Options

Yep, it is what it is and it doesn't bother me. I was raised in the country and we had farm (food) animals and I also used to hunt when I was a teenager. Gutting a deer is definitely an educational experience lol.