God Forbid we eat fast food

Options

Replies

• uconnwinsnc
    uconnwinsnc Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Fast food just makes me hungrier. I can knock down 3 McWendy's Whoppers in like 3 minutes and still want more. I spend more time ****ing the stuff out than I do enjoying it.
  • sarafischbach9
    sarafischbach9 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Yeah, fast food can be okay when you know what to get :) Now if you're eating triple bacon cheeseburgers and large fries everyday the yes, you will gain a lot of weight. ( At least I would lol )

I know McDonalds has good salads, although I haven't had one in a while. Their fruit n yogurt parfaits are filling, a good dessert, for only 160 calories. Also their wraps aren't too bad. One time I went to BK and got a plain burger and a salad for under 400 calories. Honestly, you have to know what to get and what to pair your burger,wrap, salad with.

I have lost weight on Chipotle once a week before. Basically I just avoided the rice and the tortilla and it wasn't too many calories. Maybe 500-ish? ( A bowl, of course ).
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    MFP is full of people who used to love fast food, then convinced themselves it's "gross" while they lose weight.

Live in town where a couple of teenage boys were caught jackingoff in the secret sauce and you will never eat that crap again, or maybe you will, who knows, I can not speak for you, only me. Maybe other MFPers can also speak for themselves as well?

It is very interesting to me how so many MFPers seem to know how others think and feel with out knowing them or anything about them.

Fast food is gross.

This doesn't only occur at fast food joints.

+1

Just a side note. Be very selective about the restaurants where you send a meal back for any kind of correction. People can be inventive and vindictive.
  • sarafischbach9
    sarafischbach9 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Fast food just makes me hungrier. I can knock down 3 McWendy's Whoppers in like 3 minutes and still want more. I spend more time ****ing the stuff out than I do enjoying it.

YEP.

I never feel full on a burger and fries. :(

A burger and other healthy sides usually makes me feel fuller. Fries are good though.
  • CulturedCowgurl
    CulturedCowgurl Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    When I choose fast food it's usually Wendy's Chili, its good, filling and easy on the calorie counts. A large cup is only 270 calories with 19g protein.

In agreement here. For the price the small chili is delish & filling. Plus it doesn't rob the bank of all your calories. Chipotle get's an honorable mention.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I duck into a supermarket and buy bananas or dates or some walnuts to keep me going until I get home. I can't think of one good reason to eat fast food. That's easy for me since I think it's disgusting and am also horrified by the way animals are treated to make that kind of food. I am filled with horror at the mere thought of going to Macdonalds or Kentucky Fried Chicken or Burger King or any of those kinds of places.

If I can't get to a supermarket to buy something like blueberries or walnuts then I guess I would think about a sandwhich that would be better than a drive through place? Surely starving oneself is better than eating from a drive through fast food place? Or am I the only person who feels like this about junk food?

You're not, but many of us have learned to balance good health and weight without demonizing food as "junk." I think being "horrified" by any food, save a food you're severely allergic to, is kind of dramatic, don't you think?
  • lucypeaks
    lucypeaks Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I've lost 50lbs in total over the past year without totally cutting out the things I love...When you cut them out is when you become unhappy so will probably end up binging at some point. Which is what I did before!
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I duck into a supermarket and buy bananas or dates or some walnuts to keep me going until I get home. I can't think of one good reason to eat fast food. That's easy for me since I think it's disgusting and am also horrified by the way animals are treated to make that kind of food. I am filled with horror at the mere thought of going to Macdonalds or Kentucky Fried Chicken or Burger King or any of those kinds of places.

If I can't get to a supermarket to buy something like blueberries or walnuts then I guess I would think about a sandwhich that would be better than a drive through place? Surely starving oneself is better than eating from a drive through fast food place? Or am I the only person who feels like this about junk food?

Do the supermarkets treat their animals they use for meat much better?
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    MFP is full of people who used to love fast food, then convinced themselves it's "gross" while they lose weight.

Live in town where a couple of teenage boys were caught jackingoff in the secret sauce and you will never eat that crap again, or maybe you will, who knows, I can not speak for you, only me. Maybe other MFPers can also speak for themselves as well?

It is very interesting to me how so many MFPers seem to know how others think and feel with out knowing them or anything about them.

Fast food is gross.

+1

Just a side note. Be very selective about the restaurants where you send a meal back for any kind of correction. People can be inventive and vindictive.
    I've worked at fast food places and privately owned restaurants and I will say there was more nonsense going on in the privately owned ones. Large franchises have tried and testing training programs, staff are often on camera and there are food preparation and storage rules in place. My first job was at a KFC and it was spotless and the staff were dedicated to food hygiene. Private restaurants do not neccessarily have the same training and controls in place.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Fast food is gross.

+1

I've worked at fast food places and privately owned restaurants and I will say there was more nonsense going on in the privately owned ones. Large franchises have tried and testing training programs, staff are often on camera and there are food preparation and storage rules in place. My first job was at a KFC and it was spotless and the staff were dedicated to food hygiene. Private restaurants do not neccessarily have the same training and controls in place.

Yeah, quality control at big corporate places is more consistent and better than the small ones.
  • GothyFaery
    GothyFaery Posts: 762 Member
    Options

Fast food is gross.

I can see how that can be disturbing. I live in the town where a kid posted a picture of himself licking the Doritos tacos online. The story went crazy online for a few days which shocked us all because we are such a small town and no one had heard of Ridgecrest before that. It didn't really bother me. I still had my Taco Bell fix every Friday and Sunday. But I never really cared for those Doritos tacos anyway. I'm sure that stuff goes on all the time everywhere, not just in fast food. I'm not getting sick from it. Ignorance is bliss I guess.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Okay I know we all try to avoid fast food, but the reality of it is, sometimes its unavoidable. In my opinion starving yourself until you get home is worse than grabbing a takeout meal. So my question to you: If you just absolutely have to eat fast food, where do you go and what do you order?

I'm sure there are plenty of folks on MFP that don't avoid fast food, but your scenario is fascinating to me.

How far am I from home that I will starve before I get there without fast food? And if there is fast food available, why wouldn't other food also be available (like say, a grocery store)? Have I been dropped in the middle of some wilderness devoid of natural food and civilization except for fast food restaurants?

If that very odd thing were to happen, I suppose I'd eat whatever was available, because I'm sure it's all better than starving.

I suppose you've never been stuck at work with nothing to eat and only 10-15 minutes for a lunch break, then. Just a thought - not everyone remembers to take lunch with them every single day. Personally, I'm not sitting with a growling stomach for 8-10 hours before I can commute home and cook dinner if I have another option. And I do. Four of them within 3 blocks of my office.

My workplace was clearly not the location of the OP's sceneario. I'd never starve at work. There is always something to eat here. Almost always junk, but always something. If I were to go out, there are grocery stores as well as fast food. There are also regular (non-fast food) restaurants that I could call and have better food ready and waiting, or have it delivered.
  • shutyourpieholeandsquat
    Options

I'm sure there are plenty of folks on MFP that don't avoid fast food, but your scenario is fascinating to me.

How far am I from home that I will starve before I get there without fast food? And if there is fast food available, why wouldn't other food also be available (like say, a grocery store)? Have I been dropped in the middle of some wilderness devoid of natural food and civilization except for fast food restaurants?

If that very odd thing were to happen, I suppose I'd eat whatever was available, because I'm sure it's all better than starving.

I for one also live in a rural area where the drive home from places (add the city traffic into that equation as well) can be long... sometimes over an hour. I've been out many times and just waited too damn long to eat when I start shaking and I get dizzy and if I don't eat something I'm likely to pass out. I have no qualms whatsoever about driving through a Wendy's for a grilled chicken wrap with no honey mustard and calling it a meal.
  • jenn26point2
    jenn26point2 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Okay I know we all try to avoid fast food, but the reality of it is, sometimes its unavoidable. In my opinion starving yourself until you get home is worse than grabbing a takeout meal. So my question to you: If you just absolutely have to eat fast food, where do you go and what do you order?

This... but then again, I can last 4-6 hours without food too... so if it were a case where I forgot my lunch at home, I could survive... However, if I left my lunch at home, chances are I also left my breakfast at home... in which case I would take a half hour of leave and find a danged grocery store for some produce and lunch meat or raw almonds or cashews or something of that nature.
  • angelzprophecy
    Options
    chipotle. ive done an all chipotle diet before for a month or two and got to where i am in my profile pic from it
  • AbigailWins
    Options

You're not, but many of us have learned to balance good health and weight without demonizing food as "junk." I think being "horrified" by any food, save a food you're severely allergic to, is kind of dramatic, don't you think?

I'd agree with you if I hadn't see videos of how animals are treated by the fast food industry. Thanks for letting me know you're aware of other people who feel the same way as I do about junk food. (it's a normal name for that here, nobody calls it fast food, it's a standard label to just call it junk food - it's a cultural difference more than dramatic effect).
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options

For me I stick to three places: Wendy's, Chick-fil-A, or Subway. At Wendy's I normally get a half salad and if its cold out I will get a small chili and a side salad. Chick-fil-A is a normally the chicken noodle soup and a side salad or fruit. Subway is a veggie sub on wheat with the fat free sweet onion sauce. All ring in at under 400 cal per meal.

I didn't have time to pack my lunch today so I was forced to go to a drive thru. I figured this would be a good post to help some people out who are stuck in a bind and have to settle for fast food.
    Some people love fast food. I believe in eating whatever I want while staying within my calorie goal, so I hope you enjoy an abundance of fast food if that's what you like. No fast food for me, though, because it just doesn't appeal to me.
  • AbigailWins
    Options

Do the supermarkets treat their animals they use for meat much better?

That is a very good question and still not a reason to give the junk food industry my money. The supermarkets are starting to offer the consumer different types of meat, different types of eggs. But yes it's a good point. I still would not eat that food, I think it's disgusting so it's easy for me to say no, I don't have to struggle with that. Thanks for your input. :-)
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Chipotle, because it's tasty as hell!

Meh. Taco Bell is just as tasty for 1/3 of the price.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

If I'm feeling crazy I might go to Culver's for a grilled chicken sandwich, no mayo or a highly modified salad that doesn't have a million nuts, high cal dressing, or tons of cheese and bacon.

mmmm.....Culver's.....must get the drinkable ice cream....