God Forbid we eat fast food

Options

Replies

• bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I honestly haven't stepped a foot into a fast food restaurant in well over a year (Unless you could Starbucks & Tim Hortons for coffee) I used to eat a lot of Subway but then i read some article about how gross the meat was and I've also cut out gluten so that's not an option for me. Honestly, I find that a lot of things I used to enjoy including fast food just taste off and processed to me. If I'm going to cheat it's going to be something super delicious with quality ingredients like homemade burgers loaded with veggies and sweet potato fries, or a steak dinner at a restaurant or a bowl of pasta with really awesome ingredients that compliment each other, etc. So for me, fast food isn't worth it at all anymore. If I'm starving and need something fast I'd rather hit up a grocery store than a fast food restaurant. This is totally all a personal choice though and I really don't think there's anything wrong with occasionally eating fast food!

That said, I think that fast food restaurants are getting a LOT better at providing healthy options and you can easily look up the nutritional information on your phone and make the right choices for you at almost any fast food restaurant. I have no self control, so my problem would be actually choosing the healthy choices over the fries and chicken fingers or something. ;) I've also heard that the new veggie wraps at McDonalds are yummy and super reasonable in terms of price, ingredients and calories. And honestly, if you want to indulge in something NOT healthy from a fast food restaurant go for it and don't feel guilty if you've hit your nutrition and exercise goals for the week. I firmly believe that cheat meals should be a serving of whatever you want, including fast food! :D

Just because you are eating fast food does not mean you are cheating on anything, and you can eat plenty of fast food, and meet your nutrition, and calorie goals every day.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    MFP is full of people who used to love fast food, then convinced themselves it's "gross" while they lose weight.

Live in town where a couple of teenage boys were caught jackingoff in the secret sauce and you will never eat that crap again, or maybe you will, who knows, I can not speak for you, only me. Maybe other MFPers can also speak for themselves as well?

It is very interesting to me how so many MFPers seem to know how others think and feel with out knowing them or anything about them.

Fast food is gross.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Okay I know we all try to avoid fast food, but the reality of it is, sometimes its unavoidable. In my opinion starving yourself until you get home is worse than grabbing a takeout meal. So my question to you: If you just absolutely have to eat fast food, where do you go and what do you order?

I'm sure there are plenty of folks on MFP that don't avoid fast food, but your scenario is fascinating to me.

How far am I from home that I will starve before I get there without fast food? And if there is fast food available, why wouldn't other food also be available (like say, a grocery store)? Have I been dropped in the middle of some wilderness devoid of natural food and civilization except for fast food restaurants?

If that very odd thing were to happen, I suppose I'd eat whatever was available, because I'm sure it's all better than starving.

Curious, but where do you live? If it's predominantly highway driving, OP could very easily pass fast food at exits, but grocery stores would be several miles off of an exit.

When I lived with my parents, driving 30-35 minutes from work in Downtown Detroit to their house in pretty much farm country had no easily accessible grocery stores I'd pass. Any would be cumbersome miles off the exit [cumbersome being: no exit back on, Michigan lefts (annoying), etc.]. My parents' town didn't even have grocery store outside of a small party store that certainly wasn't open 24/7. But you can bet my parents exit had a Burger King in the gas station. (That's about it, still).
  • lyzmorrison
    lyzmorrison Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    If I'm using up calories on food, it better be delicious. And fast food is NOT delicious. Blech.

I totally agree. I only get 1200 calories a day and anything more than that I've had to sweat buckets for. Fast food is not worthy of my calories.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    MFP is full of people who used to love fast food, then convinced themselves it's "gross" while they lose weight.

Because if you like, everyone who say they don't is just lying to themselves. :huh:
  • pwnderosa
    pwnderosa Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Five Guys Little Hamburger & half a regular fries (split with my hunny) is 1,000 calorie meal totally worth skipping breakfast and killing it in the gym for. :D

Also I eat a lot of Taco Bell. Dorito tacos are only 170 calories. <3 Also, their chicken bowls are a lot higher in calories but have lots of healthy stuff in them and make a great complete meal.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    I don't avoid it because it's bad for me. I avoid it because it's gross.

This.

You guys are having the wrong fast food. You can't really think all fast food is gross?

To be fair, I have had some fast food that would be enough to turn you off. You know, the McDonald's in the middle of nowhere that's still open at 3 A.M. and serves you cold fries, or a Wendy's that gives you a "chicken sandwich" that should have been made as you ordered... but clearly wasn't.

But I find this is location, location, location. Find the one that gets hit up all the time, the fries and food will be fresher.

I have fast food maybe once a month, but I will not hate. Except for Burger King. Get your act together, BK.
    When Burger King was giving away the Lord of the Rings figurines in their kid's meals, I had to go there every day for a month to complete my collection (big Tolkien geek here) and it kind of put me off of their burgers for a few years.
  • jmalone1187
    Options
    I usually avoid them all together. Typically my lunch at the office is just that, I eat my prepared lunch at the office. If I leave the office its for a quick walk and thats it. I try not to run errands or go out somewhere because the temptation to waste money or buy something stupid is there. Don't get me wrong I'm not someone who has to have something, just for some reason work time makes me more vulnerable to just buying/eating it lol.

I lie to wake up a bit early, cook my BF, and my lunch/dinner so they are fresh for that day. Snacks are usually simple fruits, yogurt, package of oatmeal, etc. Works out well for me.
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 987 Member
    Options

Live in town where a couple of teenage boys were caught jackingoff in the secret sauce and you will never eat that crap again, or maybe you will, who knows, I can not speak for you, only me. Maybe other MFPers can also speak for themselves as well?

It is very interesting to me how so many MFPers seem to know how others think and feel with out knowing them or anything about them.

Fast food is gross.

This doesn't only occur at fast food joints. Ever read the book by Tony Bourdain called Kitchen Confidential, or the book Heat by Bill Buford? I totally recommend the books by the way, not for the crazy kitchen shenanigans, but the funny real life stories. Good reads.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,574 Member
    Options
    I eat fast food 2 times a week on average. Usually McDonald's and Taco Bell...................................for the last 40 years.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Chipotle, because it's tasty as hell!

We have a Chipotle equivalent in my area called Hot Heads. WAYYY better (we have both in my town, Hot Heads everytime!). Freakin love the place- that's my dinner for today. You get way more food, it's cheaper, and they have tons of different sauces to put on your burrito bowl so it's not the same crap every time you go there like Chipotle.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

This.

You guys are having the wrong fast food. You can't really think all fast food is gross?

To be fair, I have had some fast food that would be enough to turn you off. You know, the McDonald's in the middle of nowhere that's still open at 3 A.M. and serves you cold fries, or a Wendy's that gives you a "chicken sandwich" that should have been made as you ordered... but clearly wasn't.

But I find this is location, location, location. Find the one that gets hit up all the time, the fries and food will be fresher.

I have fast food maybe once a month, but I will not hate. Except for Burger King. Get your act together, BK.
    When Burger King was giving away the Lord of the Rings figurines in their kid's meals, I had to go there every day for a month to complete my collection (big Tolkien geek here) and it kind of put me off of their burgers for a few years.

You can buy the toy without getting any food.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Okay I know we all try to avoid fast food, but the reality of it is, sometimes its unavoidable. In my opinion starving yourself until you get home is worse than grabbing a takeout meal. So my question to you: If you just absolutely have to eat fast food, where do you go and what do you order?

I'm sure there are plenty of folks on MFP that don't avoid fast food, but your scenario is fascinating to me.

How far am I from home that I will starve before I get there without fast food? And if there is fast food available, why wouldn't other food also be available (like say, a grocery store)? Have I been dropped in the middle of some wilderness devoid of natural food and civilization except for fast food restaurants?

If that very odd thing were to happen, I suppose I'd eat whatever was available, because I'm sure it's all better than starving.

I suppose you've never been stuck at work with nothing to eat and only 10-15 minutes for a lunch break, then. Just a thought - not everyone remembers to take lunch with them every single day. Personally, I'm not sitting with a growling stomach for 8-10 hours before I can commute home and cook dinner if I have another option. And I do. Four of them within 3 blocks of my office.

Anywho, none of that really applies to me because I take a lunch when I feel like it, and head for fast food when I don't. Lately, I've been eating McD's grilled chicken club sandwich - no mayo. They still make them with the old-style smaller bun here, so it comes in < 500 cals. Lots of protein for relatively few calories and decently tasty.
  • turtleball
    turtleball Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I had fully loaded fries, that took up quite a bit of calories, if I am really craving something i'll make room.

--Oh yeah and I also exercised and burned off 500 calories to make it easier on me
  • desaree01
    desaree01 Posts: 33 Member
    Options

You'd be surprised. I"ve been in this scenario plenty of times before. I have two kids under the age of five, we are all hungry, and we have a 45 minute drive home through the country. You ever ride in a car with two hungry kids for 45 minutes? Ever try stopping at a grocery store with two hungry toddlers. LOL. Yeah I'm sure there are alternatives to offset this situation, but I'm just saying, life happens and sometimes life requires that you head to a drive thru for the sake of time and your sanity. LOL.
  • GothyFaery
    GothyFaery Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I love fast food. I eat fast food at least 2 or 3 times a week. It's actually really easy to make it work. My 2 go to's are Taco Bell (I eat there at least 2 times a week, every week) Nacho Bell Grande. As prepared it's only 730 calories but I add so stuff to it so I count it at 900 or so. My other go to is Carl's Jr. low carb six dollar burger. As prepared it's a little over 500 calories but if you take off the mayo, pickles, and tomatoes and it drops down to 390. If you take the cheese off it's even lower but I do like me my cheese!
  • Bella0531
    Bella0531 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    If I have to go out, I will usually go to Subway for a chopped salad or the local bagel shop for a tuna melt. Yum!

But, if I'm in one of those 'f-it, I'm eating whatever the heck I want today' moods, then definitely 5 Guys! Their cajun fries are SO GOOD!
  • AbigailWins
    Options
    I duck into a supermarket and buy bananas or dates or some walnuts to keep me going until I get home. I can't think of one good reason to eat fast food. That's easy for me since I think it's disgusting and am also horrified by the way animals are treated to make that kind of food. I am filled with horror at the mere thought of going to Macdonalds or Kentucky Fried Chicken or Burger King or any of those kinds of places.

If I can't get to a supermarket to buy something like blueberries or walnuts then I guess I would think about a sandwhich that would be better than a drive through place? Surely starving oneself is better than eating from a drive through fast food place? Or am I the only person who feels like this about junk food?
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options

This.

You can buy the toy without getting any food.
    What! They didn't tell me that! :angry: I bought and ate a month of kid's meals for nothing? :explode: