God Forbid we eat fast food

Options

Replies

• Runner5AbelTownship
    Runner5AbelTownship Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I eat fast food once a week because I love the stuff. Yes, I know it's terrible for me, and yes, I know it's full of salt and sugar and crap, but whatever. It's once a week. I only eat dinner anyway, so I can usually just eat whatever I want from anywhere. Wendy's is definitely a favourite though, because it's delicious.

You only eat dinner, like everyday? I'm intrigued.
  • Runner5AbelTownship
    Runner5AbelTownship Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I usually eat McDonalds breakfast each Saturday morning as a treat. It hasn't effected my weight loss or weight gain, but snacking during the week and the holiday treats did. I usually put in a long run Saturday afternoon of over 6 miles so maybe I just run it off.

Breakfast there after a long run is awesome. The salt alone is helpful.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    I eat fast food once a week because I love the stuff. Yes, I know it's terrible for me, and yes, I know it's full of salt and sugar and crap, but whatever. It's once a week. I only eat dinner anyway, so I can usually just eat whatever I want from anywhere. Wendy's is definitely a favourite though, because it's delicious.

I've done that too and will still have just one large evening meal on occassion. Intermittent fasting, Warrior diet etc. Meal timing and frequency is largely personal preference so if you think you would find that approach sustainable there's no reason not to try it.
  • zanne54
    zanne54 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    It's a splurge for me, and I have to make sure I have enough calories for it. Burrito Boyz. SO GOOD. And it's all made fresh in-house, so I'm not sure if it qualifies as "fast food".
  • Mad_Dog_Muscle
    Mad_Dog_Muscle Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    Chipotle, because it's tasty as hell!

^^ THIS ^^ Chicken Burrito bowl with brown rice and black beans ROCK!!! Screw all you haters!
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Thinking fast food is gross doesn't make you better than us. Just saying.
  • peaceenharmonyy
    Options
    The only fast food i like is chipotle :tongue:

the steal bowl i get is about 840 calories... and i dont usually eat it all at once..

now i want it :sad:
  • AbigailWins
    Options
    Thinking fast food is gross doesn't make you better than us. Just saying.

It absolutely does NOT I totally agree. I think junk food is disgusting, I don't think YOU are disgusting. Not now not ever.
  • bfpower
    bfpower Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I'm in a small Montana town and the grocery store, my house, and the fast food places are all within two miles of my office. I still choose fast food. Just because it tastes like amazingness.

Thursday is my cheat day, the one day a week I don't work out and I let myself go over my calorie allotment. Instead of fast food though, I had a sandwich from the coffee shop and an effing sweet CREME FILLED CHOCOLATE FROSTED DONUT. It was like listening to Beethoven's 9th while hugging sixteen babies and smelling a thousand roses.
  • KateK8LoseW8
    KateK8LoseW8 Posts: 824 Member
    Options

It's just what I prefer. I still eat the same number of calories as I would be if I were eating throughout the day, but I just prefer to have it all at once. Why? For one, I don't have to worry about stopping and eating or bringing food along with me throughout the day. Makes my life easier in that way. After a while, your body gets used to the schedule and hunger doesn't really happen until you're getting close to meal time anyway. Second, I get to feast every single night. I usually have a dinner around 800-1200 calories and then a few snacks and probably dessert later on in the evening. I go to bed stuffed every night and I enjoy that. :)
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    .my point is I am just feeling indifferent that it needs to be talked about all the time.

This is MFP, it is all the same stuff different day.
  • rabblerabble
    rabblerabble Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Other than Subway (there is one near my office I can walk to in about 3 minutes) I can probably count on one hand the number of fast food meals I had in 2013. (And those were all when the family insisted on it)
  • ClaudiaBette
    ClaudiaBette Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    My kid sometimes needs his Happy Meal fix so we occasionally go to Mcdonald’s. I usually get the Grilled Chicken and Ranch Snack Wrap or the Premium Grilled Chicken and Ranch Wrap (if I can be allowed more calories)

At Chick-fi-Lay it’s the Cool Chicken Wrap which I normally only eat half of and save the rest for another meal.

At El Pollo Loco, a Chicken Pollo bowl but I usually finish only half of it.

Those are really the only places I go. As far as the fast food debate, there are BETTER choices you can make at fast food places (i.e a Chicken and Ranch Grilled Snack Wrap at McDonald’s vs. a Big Mac with Fries). But I do try to avoid fast food as typical meals.
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I try to prepare food in advance when possible. For this school semester (which is 4 days/week), I'm going to make sure to prepare all my food Monday-Wednesday, but maybe on Thursday I'll grab something out if I need to.

Hale & Hearty - Ten Vegetable Soup w/ 7 Grain Bread
    Pret A Manger - Half Balsamic Chicken & Avocado Sandwich OR Crunchy Veggie Wrap
    Starbucks - Oatmeal w/ Blueberries, Nut Medley, Dried Fruit and/or Banana
    Good to Go Organics (@ my school) - Highland Egg White Pesto Sandwich OR Roasted Turkey Pesto Wrap

Now that I've given up dairy, I need to see which ones of these I need to give up... I'll need to find a new favorite at school because I'm assuming their pesto has cheese in it. :( I think there's oatmeal though!

I've also become hooked on Whole Foods' salads, so I often get one of those while grocery shopping if my hunger can't wait until I get home. :)
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Okay I know we all try to avoid fast food, but the reality of it is, sometimes its unavoidable. In my opinion starving yourself until you get home is worse than grabbing a takeout meal. So my question to you: If you just absolutely have to eat fast food, where do you go and what do you order?

I'm sure there are plenty of folks on MFP that don't avoid fast food, but your scenario is fascinating to me.

How far am I from home that I will starve before I get there without fast food? And if there is fast food available, why wouldn't other food also be available (like say, a grocery store)? Have I been dropped in the middle of some wilderness devoid of natural food and civilization except for fast food restaurants?

If that very odd thing were to happen, I suppose I'd eat whatever was available, because I'm sure it's all better than starving.

I suppose you've never been stuck at work with nothing to eat and only 10-15 minutes for a lunch break, then. Just a thought - not everyone remembers to take lunch with them every single day. Personally, I'm not sitting with a growling stomach for 8-10 hours before I can commute home and cook dinner if I have another option. And I do. Four of them within 3 blocks of my office.

My workplace was clearly not the location of the OP's sceneario. I'd never starve at work. There is always something to eat here. Almost always junk, but always something. If I were to go out, there are grocery stores as well as fast food. There are also regular (non-fast food) restaurants that I could call and have better food ready and waiting, or have it delivered.

In reality, I could do the same re: the other restaurants if I wanted to spend 2 times as much as actually going to the restaurant on catering fees. But, I've worked in places where that was not possible for security reasons. If you didn't work there, you weren't getting on site. Some of those places provided a cafeteria (with food just as low quality as fast food, if not worse), and some did not.
  • shutyourpieholeandsquat
    Options

I'm sure there are plenty of folks on MFP that don't avoid fast food, but your scenario is fascinating to me.

How far am I from home that I will starve before I get there without fast food? And if there is fast food available, why wouldn't other food also be available (like say, a grocery store)? Have I been dropped in the middle of some wilderness devoid of natural food and civilization except for fast food restaurants?

If that very odd thing were to happen, I suppose I'd eat whatever was available, because I'm sure it's all better than starving.

I for one also live in a rural area where the drive home from places (add the city traffic into that equation as well) can be long... sometimes over an hour. I've been out many times and just waited too damn long to eat when I start shaking and I get dizzy and if I don't eat something I'm likely to pass out. I have no qualms whatsoever about driving through a Wendy's for a grilled chicken wrap with no honey mustard and calling it a meal.

Not having qualms about it is not the same thing as it being unavoidable, as in the OP's scenario. My point is that I don't believe fast food is ever unavoidable. I can't imagine a situation where the only choices were starving or fast food.

If you choose to eat fast food then just own the choice, don't make it seem like you didn't have one.

ahhh gotcha. :laugh:
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Eating fast food is avoidable, if you plan ahead and prepare food to take with you. I haven't eaten fast food in years - I think it smells gross, and is bad quality. I'm not wasting my money or my macros on it, when I know I can make it better myself. If I want a burger, I'll have one....at home, made with fresh good quality ingredients. Same with pizza.
  • hwoeltjen
    hwoeltjen Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I simply cannot eat fast food. I drive by a Burger King and the smell makes me sick to my stomach. I crave veggies and egg beaters.

You never "have to" eat fast food. You aren't going to starve on the way home.

Then again, there is absolutely nothing wrong with grabbing a burger every once in a while. I just cannot eat it anymore. It is simply not appealing.
  • sassysmom35
    sassysmom35 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I love Taco Bell. They have a lot of choices/combinations that are quite low calorie. But if I really have time to sit and research I find I can eat most anywhere. Just have to look at the nutrition info for each place.
  • shutyourpieholeandsquat
    Options
    Hell I'll be the first to admit. I LOVE CRAP FOOD! :drinker:

ETA: but I would have gotten fat whether I ate Burger King or a burger from home because I was eating TOO MUCH of it and laying on my fat *kitten* on the couch! hehehe