Lose 5 pounds a month SEPTEMBER 2010 CHALLENGE

Options

Replies

• Alioth
    Alioth Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Timbotina, I envy folks who can do the plank. I sadly, cannot...yet. Sounds like you have a great weekend planned. Have fun!

Congrats, sahm!

Aaand since I weigh myself everyday, I found out I've achieved my September goal. Woohoo!
    Sept 1: 159
    Sept 7: 155.25
    Sept 11: 153.75

It confounds me since I've been eating and eating and eating this week. I even ate pizza right before bed last night. It must be the elliptical training. Elliptical > treadmill?

Anyway, thanks everyone for being so supportive and positive! I'll keep checking in. Hopefully, I can maintain this loss through September.
  • TCASMEY
    TCASMEY Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    Good day to everyone.

My internet was down earlier but is now up and running so I am really happy to log in and see how everyone is doing.
    I had an moment of coherent thought , EVEN THOUGH I CANNOT RUN THE 5K TOMORROW I CAN WALK IT...DUH! My doc said walking was fine....so I am going to get up and walk the 5k. It is a fun walk/run so I am going to do it. My time will be???? who knows but I am going to do it..

So why is your weight loss stalling! Here are some more ideas...

YOU ARE SKIPPING MEALS

Skipping meals can lead to food cravings and overeating later in the day — reaching for whatever food is available and making up for the missed calories by eating more. Research at Vanderbilt University found that after approximately 72 hours of not eating consistently, the body shuts down its calorie-burning abilities and begins to store fat, warns Kraus. In clinical studies, after one week, healthy women were seen to lose 16 percent of their resting energy expenditure, which led to increased fat storage and a decrease in metabolism.

YOU ARE EATING TOO MUCH

You might think you’re cutting back on portions, but may not realize the real number of calories you’re eating. Kraus makes these suggestions: Use measuring utensils and a food scale; learn visual cues to estimate portion sizes. For instance, three ounces of protein is the size of a deck of cards or a checkbook, one cup of rice or pasta resembles a baseball, and one ounce of cheese looks like two playing dice. Keep a food journal of everything you eat and drink to be truly aware of the total amount consumed over the course of the day.

YOU ARE DRINKING TOO MANY CALORIES

“Very often people lose sight that beverages can contribute a significant number of calories,” says Kraus. Consider the calories in these 12-ounce servings: regular soda, between 150 and 200; no-sugar-added fruit juice, up to 180; sweet tea, about 150; and many sports drinks, 100 or more. Drinking three servings daily over a week can add up to 3,500 calories, or the one pound of weight you could have lost. “Switch to good, plain water, and you will save lots of calories and start to see the weight come down,” says Kraus.

YOU ARE TOO LAX ABOUT DIET AND EXERCISE

You go to the salad bar and load up on veggies, but then add hundreds of calories with rich dressing and toppings like grated cheese, bacon bits, and croutons. You burn 300 calories by walking for three miles, but then eat a muffin with the same number of calories, erasing the effect of the workout. “You need a healthy, calorie-controlled meal plan with exercise to help maximize calorie burning and encourage the calorie deficit needed for weight control,” says Kraus. Resist becoming lax about calories because you exercise, and resist becoming lax about exercise just because you’re cutting calories.

Now we are off to the a Defeat of Jesse James days Carnival. Hopefully the cheese curds are not calling too loudly.

Have a great day!

Terri
  • shorthand73
    shorthand73 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Hello, everyone! Had a VERY busy week -- seems like each day was over before I even had a chance to think about what I had eaten or if I should/would do any exercise. I've been too scared to get on the scale! Hopefully, I'll be able to get my act together and find some motivation somewhere (perhaps under my piles of dirty laundry???) :ohwell:

On the brighter side, I got the wonderful opportunity to stand outside in the BEAUTIFUL fall weather this morning as I watched my son participate in his first Cross Country meet. :happy: I am SO proud of my little man and am so grateful to be there and cheer him on during all of those 'little' moments in his life. :cry: (Sorry... I'm a little emotional today!)

OH! Also... must share this bit of news -- I am so excited!!! I've been working on my Master's for a loooong time - taking classes when they've been offered as distance courses. Just got the message last night that my degree has finally been posted!! :drinker: It sounds kind of funny to say it, but I'm really kind of proud of myself... :blushing: I figure if I can jump through all the hoops that the university has asked me to over the years, then I certainly should be capable of making some changes and losing some of this weight, right?:smile:

6 weeks from today, I will be running my 10th 5k of 2010. (Still need to update my signature.) :embarassed: It has been a really fun challenge to complete all of them this summer with a great group of friends. I am really going to try to train hard for these next few weeks. I would love to make a PR with that final run.

Well, I hope everyone is having a wonderful, relaxing weekend. Enjoy the day!
  • 55tolose
    55tolose Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    mmm yummy smores!!! lol i had 3! squares tho so technically 1 and a half candybars 1 jumbo marshmallow 2 regulare marsmallows and the nesecary grahms to make the sandwiches : ) lol had a family bbq up the mtn with my mom and bros and grandma and aunt the bunch of them tonight it was pretty fun.

Still weighed 168 today and tomorrow is my weigh in day but after tonight im not sure i have high hopes but we will see lol wish me some kind of luck haha
  • timbotina
    timbotina Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    Morning one and all.....got on the scale and down 2 lbs (YEAH!!!) for a total 51 lbs. (since Apr 2nd before MFP that's why my ticker is off)...anyway....so excited!!!!!:bigsmile: :tongue: Currently 177lbs--haven't seen that in YEARS!! Have a new lease on life...so feel like I can do anything....it is an amazing feeling....hope everyone is enjoying the weekend....nice fall weekend here....me and the kids are going out for a walk later to get a little workout in (more like leasure with the kids but that is ok) and looking for to the BMK challange this week......
  • ErikaHarries
    Options
    I'm in !
  • rymattsmom
    rymattsmom Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Hi all!
    My new friend timbonita invited me to join you all!
    So far i have lost 3.8lbs this month, so the 5lbs works great for me!

You all sound amazing! Will write more later, my 2 little guys just woke up and are all over me as i write!
    Andrea
  • jesse14472
    Options
    My weigh in:

8/29 193.5 waist 38" hips 48"
    9/6 193.0 *new scale
    9/12 191.8 waist 37" hips 46"

I don't know which I'm more excited about, the weight or the inches. I'll take both. I used my new HRM yesterday for the first time and can tell it will be come addictive very quickly. Between doing the 30-day shred, house cleaning and walking the dog, I burned 1050 calories yesterday! There was no way I was going to eat all those exercise calories and I really wasn't hungry enough to.

shorthand: Congrats on the Masters degree! What an accomplishment! You should be proud.

timbotina: So excited for you! 51 lbs........WOW!

Welcome to all the new ladies! There is a new trail for biking/walking opening up today and the family and I are hoping to ride the 8 miles up and back. Hope the weather holds out. Have a great day everyone!
  • TCASMEY
    TCASMEY Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    I just walked my first 5k race. I did it in 47'02" I burned 348 calories. WOOHOOO!

Now off to watch the parade and sell water and pop for swim club!

Have a great day!

Terri
  • RushinBruisette
    RushinBruisette Posts: 2,109 Member
    Options
    I just walked my first 5k race. I did it in 47'02" I burned 348 calories. WOOHOOO!

Have a great day!

Terri
    . That's great Terri! And with a knee issue! So proud of you! Enjoy the parade!
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options

Have a great day!

Terri
    Way to go Terri. You should be proud of your commitment to do the race even with your bum knee. Good for you.
  • RushinBruisette
    Options
    Went to my in laws clubhouse this weekend and had a ton of fun. Mostly told stories (and drank QUITE a lot) last night! Got to spend some time with my nephew Oliver :) All around great family weekend, just not food wise and really not exercise wise which is fine with me :)

So, compliment of the weekend (and possibly month!) my father in law, who was one of my facebook friends *****ing about my posting exercises and such a month or so ago (some of you may remember that..), well, he saw me for the first time in QUITE awhile this weekend and when we got to their clubhouse, and walked on the deck, his first words were 'Wow, Amy, you look like your 18 again!' Such an AMAZING feeling!

Hope you all had a great weekend, here's this weeks BMK sneak peek: Line Jumping.....
    I'll be back tomorrow for the full challenge. Enjoy your Sunday evening! XoxoxoX Bru
  • timbotina
    Options
    Michele, sounds like a great time....we love going on bike trails--we have 3 really nice ones here where I live....

Terri, (the wounded) nicely done.....even being injured can't keep you down...

Andrea hope you love this group as much as I do....welcome!!!!

Bru--nice compliment...always great to hear

Shorthand--you are so amazing and an inspiration with all the 5K's -- nice you have a whole group that does it..

Went to the local flea market and got watermelon, peaches, strawberries, apples, bananas, zucchini, sweet potatoes, and celery...my poor little girl had to finish walking so I could load up the stroller, HA!!!!!!:bigsmile: :laugh:

Hope everyone enjoyed the weekend.....be ready for the BMK challange!!!!!!
  • Alioth
    Alioth Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    55tolose>> Aarg! Now I want smores. I've got all the ingredients. I will build them into my calories tomorrow.

Timbotina, that's incredible! Very inspiring.

Michele, congrats! Inches are awesome!

Terri, that's great about your 5k! You must be so proud. I can't wait to do one.

Bru, that's sweet that he came around.

Today for me was a pretty good day. I didn't exercise, but then I vacuumed, mopped, scrubbed, and cooked for hours first thing in the morning. I was having company over for Sunday dinner. We had a good time. I even splurged on chocolate chip cookies, but was good and only had two. I think that's the first time I've only had 2 cookies in a really long time. I like to eat a stack.
  • nurseenf
    nurseenf Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Going pretty slow this month...finally joined a gym, so i can get a real workout instead of just my wii. I just have 5lbs more to lose to reach my final goal weight, but it is going so slow now. I totally thought I would lose faster now that I'm working out at a gym, but I am doing more strength training, so maybe I'm packing on some muscle....

8/29/10 146
    9/5/10 145.5
    9/12/10 144.8
  • 55tolose
    55tolose Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    lol alioth..... the smores were sooo so yummy but did not pay off the night before my weigh in but i am holding my head high with a maintain : )

terri you are an inspiration I would kill to have your kind of motivation. keep it up :drinker:

SO after pulling 167's and 168's all week having to have a maintain at 169.0 is a little sad but i only work one day this week and there are no outings in my forcast so im really going to push for that loss i will even go to zumba twice next week : ) hold me to it k lol. I cant go this week hubby is on swings so im home with the kids zumba is at 7:00 tuesdays and thursdays.

september 1-- 170.0
    september 5--169.0
    september 12-- 169.0

YAY a one pound loss so far : )
  • timbotina
    Options
    you guys are making me hungry with all the smore talk......Heading off to work...hoping to go to the YMCA before picking my son up from school....feeling a little tired this am but I'm sure that will pass once I get to work....and today I am getting my anual blood workup done at work....so a little excited to see how it goes......have a great MONDAY everyone!!....:happy:
  • WarmDontBurn
    WarmDontBurn Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    Sept.1 - 147.5
    Sept. 6 - 145.5
    Sept. 13 - 144.8

SW: 147.5
    GW: 140 for now
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    Down 2.0 this week! Lost 2.6 of the 5.8 I regained.

September 1st: 125.8
    September 7th: 125.2
    September 12th: 123.2
  • RushinBruisette
    Options
    What a morning to start the day .... today is my hubby's 26th birthday :smooched: so dinner will probably be Applebees (yum) however, I went in the spare bedroom to say good morning to my Wasser (6yr old bearded dragon) and I found him not breathing :frown: Nick and I have had him since righ after we started dating and it's hard. What really makes it worse, this is the 4th pet within a year I have lost. This summer, my mom (and my) cat Kiki of 8yrs (our 3-legged kitty) snuck out of the house and the heat got to him, in Feb, our much older bearded dragon, Fat Fred, passed away (he was easily 15yrs and a rescue) and then one that hurt the most was my dear Sox (aka my Poppy since he wasn't a puppy at 10yrs old) passed away in my arms a week after surgery with anesthesia which he had a reaction to. Sorry to pull you all into my really gloomy day. but if you have any pets, furry or scaly, give the a good hug.

So, now that it is Mon, here's the full BMK Challenge:
    100 Tricep Dips for the week. Spread em out or do it in one day. Find a chair or a bench, scoot that booty off the seat and use your triceps to push yourself up.

Line Jumping - find a line or make your own. Jump over it back and forth for 3 minutes each day. Yup. 7 days total!

Our food challenge for the week is to "Eat Clean" for 2 days. This means all natural foods. Chicken breasts, eggs, fresh fruit and veggies, complex carbs, and raw nuts..... but NOTHING man-made/processed.
    Google Clean Eating if you still need more examples!

Enjoy your week all. :drinker: Here's to mine getting better.