Welcome to Fun and Games! Many of the discussions in this category are games based on responding to the most recent comment. Please take a moment to refresh the page and make sure you are replying to the most recent comment to keep the game going!

The official nightshift thread....

Options

Replies

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    lacroyx wrote: »
    TopCop7747 wrote: »
    I often work the night shift and I think I'm going to be moved to it full time temporarily. Ugh.

Aw, come on, it has it's perks. Really...

Lol. Some I suppose.

I like being able to hit the gym in the mornings after I get off work and not having to deal with crowds. YMCA is my gym and it's usually a small laid back group made up of retired folks, stay at home moms and most recently, high-school/college kids out on break. It does suck for the single life though especially since I work weekends. ):
    Dees feels...I know dem. But it's not exactly like I was a social butterfly BEFORE I started working nights...lol!

• lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I often work the night shift and I think I'm going to be moved to it full time temporarily. Ugh.

Lol. Some I suppose.

I like being able to hit the gym in the mornings after I get off work and not having to deal with crowds. YMCA is my gym and it's usually a small laid back group made up of retired folks, stay at home moms and most recently, high-school/college kids out on break. It does suck for the single life though especially since I work weekends. ):
    Dees feels...I know dem. But it's not exactly like I was a social butterfly BEFORE I started working nights...lol!

I'm not a big time social butterfly either and when I was much, much heavier, it was worse. Over the years though with the weight going down, I'm a little better and the gym has been a big part of that. It forced me to get out of my comfort zone in good ways.
  • jennifer_417
    Options

Lol. Some I suppose.

I'm not a big time social butterfly either and when I was much, much heavier, it was worse. Over the years though with the weight going down, I'm a little better and the gym has been a big part of that. It forced me to get out of my comfort zone in good ways.

Idk..I've just lost the knack of connecting to people. When I was younger, I was pretty good at it. *shrug*

In other news...5 more hours....and it's a good thing my roommate is picking me up, because I'm so tired that I'm not entirely sure how safe it would be to drive myself home in the morning.

• Frankie_Felinius
    Frankie_Felinius Posts: 1,398 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I think night shifters tend to be a tad bit socially awkward/anti-social. Not all of us of course, buy many. I'm quite anti-socal IRL...that is why online forums are great...I can opt out any time I want! And you don't hear me stammer the wrong word, not make eye contact, see me talk wildy with my hands...lol.
  • BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    I think night shifters tend to be a tad bit socially awkward/anti-social. Not all of us of course, buy many. I'm quite anti-socal IRL...that is why online forums are great...I can opt out any time I want! And you don't hear me stammer the wrong word, not make eye contact, see me talk wildy with my hands...lol.

I have recently been told that I ask too many questions and that can be annoying, apparently.

It would help if people weren't trying to be so 'mysterious' all the time. I like mystery in my novels and the occasional movie, but that's about it. Be straightforward darn it! Silly humans...
  • jennifer_417
    Options
    fatjon73 wrote: »

Agreed....Nightshifts rule...........

AND you cant come to a nightshift thread and then dis the night shift.....its not right pal......its like going to a dieting site and saying how much you hate to diet............hope you don't do that as well........;)

Haha yeah!

• lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options

I have recently been told that I ask too many questions and that can be annoying, apparently.

It would help if people weren't trying to be so 'mysterious' all the time. I like mystery in my novels and the occasional movie, but that's about it. Be straightforward darn it! Silly humans...

Though I have only been doing the whole night shift thing for 6 years now, one of my coworkers has done it for nearly 30 years. She isn't anti-social or awkward but does have low tolerance for certain things. Over the years she has had plenty of opportunities to flip back to working days but has declined them. When I asked her, she just prefers the lower stress environment of working nights over days. Less people to deal with. I know in many cases it's not always the case, like a hospital environment, but where I work, day shift is much more hectic than night shift.

• jennifer_417
    edited June 2015
    Options

I tend to be very straightforward in how I speak, but that does not mean that I am forthcoming. It's just a habit I've developed over the years. People have often opened up to me, which I enjoy, and would never break a confidence. But for me to open up to somebody else? Well, that is another matter entirely.

I actually appreciate when people ask me questions, because it comes across enough like they actually care enough about me to make an effort to find something out.
  • sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,215 Member
    Options
    News Flash: Running away screaming (up an echo chamber of a stairwell) from the Night Auditor who is coming to tell you to SHUT UP BECAUSE PEOPLE ARE TRYING TO SLEEP, probably isn't your best strategy. >:-(

I have images of a night manager with "That Look" on her face. :smile:
  • jennifer_417
    Options
    News Flash: Running away screaming (up an echo chamber of a stairwell) from the Night Auditor who is coming to tell you to SHUT UP BECAUSE PEOPLE ARE TRYING TO SLEEP, probably isn't your best strategy. >:-(

I have images of a night manager with "That Look" on her face. :smile:

Oh, I have "That Look" down very well...:-)
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    I've been doing night shift for 20 years now. I tried going to days to keep my family on a more normal schedule. I couldn't keep it up. People are strange. I had a client complain to my boss that they had to wait two hours for a vaccine. I had two dogs dying on me. One was hit by a bus and was in all kinds of hurt. The other was attacked by a dog and had the guts hanging out. The complaining client saw both dogs come in and felt like she was there first so she should have been seen first. I have no problem being social. I just think people who are more worried about missing a manicure appointment than they are about saving someone's pet, really suck.
  • jennifer_417
    Options
    I've been doing night shift for 20 years now. I tried going to days to keep my family on a more normal schedule. I couldn't keep it up. People are strange. I had a client complain to my boss that they had to wait two hours for a vaccine. I had two dogs dying on me. One was hit by a bus and was in all kinds of hurt. The other was attacked by a dog and had the guts hanging out. The complaining client saw both dogs come in and felt like she was there first so she should have been seen first. I have no problem being social. I just think people who are more worried about missing a manicure appointment than they are about saving someone's pet, really suck.

Urg. Some people really are the worst...it's like they have no idea how reality works.

• sufferlandrian
    Options
    Boy, you can say that again. Well, we are pretty slow now so I'm going to try to get an hour on the exercise bike. If any of you are still on in about an hour and a half I'll see you then. If not, I'll see you guys tonight when I'm properly caffeinated. :smile:
  • BodyByBex
    Options
    Boy, you can say that again. Well, we are pretty slow now so I'm going to try to get an hour on the exercise bike. If any of you are still on in about an hour and a half I'll see you then. If not, I'll see you guys tonight when I'm properly caffeinated. :smile:

Does that ever REALLY happen? Is one ever 'properly' caffeinated?

I think I'm in my super tired, 11th hour of the shift philosophy mode... :sleeping:
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    Well, When there's a fine line between under caffeinated and hands shaking caffeinated but I do hit that balance on occasion. :smile:
  • fatjon73
    fatjon73 Posts: 379 Member
    Options

I hope your manager backed you pal....and told the CLIENT to go take a running..........That's just not right......I soooooo wish I was there.....I enjoy telling people like that there errors......lol..........and that probably explains why I work nights..........
  • jennifer_417
    Options
    fatjon73 wrote: »

I hope your manager backed you pal....and told the CLIENT to go take a running..........That's just not right......I soooooo wish I was there.....I enjoy telling people like that there errors......lol..........and that probably explains why I work nights..........
    Haha, I sometimes say that I work nights because I like people, but only in very
    controlled doses!
    And yeah, I hope your manager backed you up!
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    He called me into his office to ask me why a friend of his had to wait two hours for a vaccine. I told him what happened and told him that I managed to save one of the two patients but I couldn't manage both patients and stop to do a vaccine. He just paused and said, "Well, we can't really let a dog die over a vaccine. You'll just have to learn to go faster." That was his way of saying, "You did it right but I hate dealing with upset clients." :smile: So yes, in his own way, he had my back. He was a good boss. I wish he was still practicing but unfortunately he has passed on.
  • BodyByBex
    Options
    I just got dispatched to kill a spider.... These lab people handle DEADLY DISEASES and they call dispatch in desperation because they need someone to kill a SPIDER.

Spider is dead and I got a thank you, but SERIOUSLY?!
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    LOL. :smile: