Welcome to Fun and Games! Many of the discussions in this category are games based on responding to the most recent comment. Please take a moment to refresh the page and make sure you are replying to the most recent comment to keep the game going!

The official nightshift thread....

Options

Replies

• SongDragon
    SongDragon Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Respect? I'm not going there. Hi. I work at a group home overnight. Night shift weekends. Other shifts other times. Never the same schedule. Various tasks need to get done and of course I'm here in case of a crisis.
  • belimawr
    belimawr Posts: 1,155 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    But hey, she doesn't need any income to get that project up and running, right?

I guess they want to learn the hard way. ;) A lot of people jump into a plan and do something like that not thinking it all through.
    I'm more of a "hey, get what you want out of the fridge/cupboards,

Oh, they help themselves to the cupboards when I'm at work, especially to my "treats" hidden very well in the back behind tall boxes. They manage to find those.
  • BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    OK, back at it. Almost had a night off. Got called in after a tech quit and was a no show. Would have been nice if she had decided that before her shift started.

Ugh. What was her beef? Sorry you have to work!

Some people just don't like to work....I mean I would rather be at home in my bed right now and not being angry/cranky with Sgt. Sexy Pants but that's life, so here I am.

But I also have loyalty to a fault. If a place is kind enough to employ me AND treat me with respect, I will bend over backwards because I know they could turn around and find someone else.

Yeah, that's true. I suspect @sufferlandrian is a good boss, I would be surprised to find out otherwise. I tend to be very loyal to my place of work, wherever that may be. I like the job I have now and hope to be here for a good while.

Why are you angry with the Sgt, or are you just angry in his general vicinity, if you don't mind me asking?

He sent me a text about how he was talking to another coworker

"She's talking about how she and her father hate the Chinese because they bombed Pearl Harbor."

I was stunned into silence. I finally responded with
    "I don't even have words..."

He said: "Are you trying to figure out how that is wrong?"

I said: "Seriously?! You think I'm THAT dumb?! The Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor!"

He said: "Well now that you googled it."

All in all, not REALLY anything to be mad about but I gave him a big piece of my mind about how I have not one but TWO parents who served in the United States Armed Forces and my Grandfathers fought in WW2 so of COURSE I would know who bombed Pearl Harbor.

I bond with my father watching all kinds of war documentaries and I just can't believe he... I really just. UGH!

I can't believe he thinks so little of me and I'm wondering if I will get past it or not.
  • sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    What!? The Chinese bombed Pearl Harbor? The Japanese were pounding the hell out of the Chinese while Pearl Harbor was being bombed. They couldn't defend themselves and required the assistance of the Flying Tigers to put up any defense. The Japanese were bombing Pearl Harbor to keep us from rendering assistance to the Philippines and China.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Is there any way you can give him the benefit of the doubt? He has other great qualities, right?

Ovbiously, YOU are quite smart, but the fact is that most people don't have a clue about history and probably wouldn't honestly have known the difference. I'm a WWII buff, and even gave a speech about the bombing of Hiroshima in one of my classes, and even I had to think about it for a sec because my brain just blipped somehow. *embarassed face*

• jennifer_417
    edited August 2015
    Options
    What!? The Chinese bombed Pearl Harbor? The Japanese were pounding the hell out of the Chinese while Pearl Harbor was being bombed. They couldn't defend themselves and required the assistance of the Flying Tigers to put up any defense. The Japanese were bombing Pearl Harbor to keep us from rendering assistance to the Philippines and China.

*impressed* but *even more embarassed*

• BodyByBex
    Options

@sufferlandrian Points for you! :smile:

@jennifer_417 He does have other really great qualities. I think I'm more hurt because it happened right at the tail end of my 'I don't feel like I'm good enough' week.
    Bad thoughts happen during TOM.
    At this point, I don't want an apologie, per se, I DO want him to tell me he thinks I'm smarter than Carla. :blush:

It's just one of those things that, as an American, you should know who bombed Pearl Harbor. The biggest issue I have with this is, I failed 3 semesters of history and I still know this.

I am an incy wincy bit peeved that he hasn't acknowledged that he hurt my feelings and hasn't responded to any of my texts. I called him to remove a snake at work and he seemed like he was afraid he was going to be attacked by me on the phone.

It probably doesn't help that when he tried talking to me earlier I greeted him with a look that probably would have stunned Satan himself.... :disappointed:
  • jennifer_417
    Options
    It sounds like your best bet is to try not to dwell on it and let things smooth over, if possible?

And I think most people should learn more about history in general. Don't people ever wonder how things got to be the way they are?
  • refinedbyfire
    refinedbyfire Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Good god, not knowing who bombed Pearl Harbor is unbelievable.

Anyway...Hi nightshifters! Has anyone here transitioned from energy drinks to Bai Bubbles? I'm looking for something more natural and a little better for me, and I'm open to anything. My current zero cal Monsters have about 140 mg of caffeine, which is more than I need....but I'm wondering if the 55mg in the Bai will be enough.
  • jennifer_417
    Options
    Going from 140 to 55, you'll almost certainly have some withdrawals, but your body will adjust over time, if you're willing to endure.
    I use Mio (or off-brand) caffinated water flavor drops. It's probably not very natural, but it sure helps me drink mroe water.
  • Frankie_Felinius
    Frankie_Felinius Posts: 1,398 Member
    Options
    Emu farm...smh. I've aways wanted a feral cat colony. I'd love it if that could make me hundreds of thousands of dollars. Pay me to sit around and try to win over wild @$$ cats...sounds perfect.
  • BodyByBex
    Options
    Emu farm...smh. I've aways wanted a feral cat colony. I'd love it if that could make me hundreds of thousands of dollars. Pay me to sit around and try to win over wild @$$ cats...sounds perfect.

It IS perfect because only you could do it. You won over all the wild @$$ cats of the Nightshift thread!

@jennifer_417 ....team name? Wild @$$ Cats?!
  • jennifer_417
    Options
    WHAT TEAM!? j/k...I like it!
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    Good god, not knowing who bombed Pearl Harbor is unbelievable.

Anyway...Hi nightshifters! Has anyone here transitioned from energy drinks to Bai Bubbles? I'm looking for something more natural and a little better for me, and I'm open to anything. My current zero cal Monsters have about 140 mg of caffeine, which is more than I need....but I'm wondering if the 55mg in the Bai will be enough.

I haven't had energy drinks in many years. I think 2011 was the last time I had one. I had to Google Bai Bubbles. Never had it before but I noticed Costco sells them and I frequent that place quite a bit. I'll have to check it out.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    It sounds like your best bet is to try not to dwell on it and let things smooth over, if possible?

And I think most people should learn more about history in general. Don't people ever wonder how things got to be the way they are?

Reminds me of this internet post where they had Twitter/Facebook screenshots of people completely shocked that the movie Titanic was actually based on real life events in history.
  • jennifer_417
    Options
    SongDragon wrote: »
    Respect? I'm not going there. Hi. I work at a group home overnight. Night shift weekends. Other shifts other times. Never the same schedule. Various tasks need to get done and of course I'm here in case of a crisis.

Hi welcome!

• BodyByBex
    Options
    lacroyx wrote: »

Reminds me of this internet post where they had Twitter/Facebook screenshots of people completely shocked that the movie Titanic was actually based on real life events in history.

I don't need to lose ANYMORE of my faith in humanity....I need some faith BACK. Please...someone....*holds out 'Faith in Humanity' cup* So...thirsty...
  • BodyByBex
    Options
    Oh and this coworker of mine, Carla, whose father ALSO doesn't know the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor, has reproduced.

FIVE TIMES with FIVE DIFFERENT guys.....smh....I don't understand it.
  • Frankie_Felinius
    Frankie_Felinius Posts: 1,398 Member
    Options
    lacroyx wrote: »

I don't need to lose ANYMORE of my faith in humanity....I need some faith BACK. Please...someone....*holds out 'Faith in Humanity' cup* So...thirsty...

I'm always thoroughly impressed with people when I watch the show "What Would You Do?". Always suprised how many people stand up for others. I have little to no faith in humanity and that show makes me warm and fuzzy inside...even teared up a little before...
  • BodyByBex
    Options
    SongDragon wrote: »

Indeed, welcome.

If you don't mind my asking, if you don't feel respected at your job, why don't you search for a new one?

That's what I did and now I get appreciated at every turn. I am getting many high fives and happy notes and commendations for working 14 days straight when shifts could have been passed to others(they didn't want them and would have complained incessantly) and then of course, there's the overtime pay which wasn't even an OPTION at my last job. :smiley:

Granted there are not many amazing jobs to be had but maybe if you look long and hard enough you might find something that better suits your needs.