Welcome to Fun and Games! Many of the discussions in this category are games based on responding to the most recent comment. Please take a moment to refresh the page and make sure you are replying to the most recent comment to keep the game going!

The official nightshift thread....

Options

Replies

• Frankie_Felinius
    Frankie_Felinius Posts: 1,398 Member
    Options
    You know what blows my mind? Parents calling and asking to be connected to room ___ and then when I ask what the name on the room is they say "I don't know, my kid is at a birthday party there."

How in the FUDGE do you NOT KNOW the names of the people your CHILD is with????

Or they know just the first name. WHAT?!

Number 1. There is no way in hell I'm letting my kid go to a party at a hotel.
    Number 2. Even if I DID, I would know EVERY goddamned thing I could about the people hosting the party.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Well, I feel a tiny bit responsible, because if I had been paying attention, I woul've realized that their boss is one of our regulars, and I probably could've given them the room # after some verification.

We usually try to call the guest in their room or cell and ask if it is ok to give out the room number...but if we can't reach 'em...the person asking is S.O.L.

Some people get mad...but then I ask them wouldn't they appreciate a courtesy call if someone was trying to access THEIR room?

They tried to get me to call, but it was well after 10pm, and unless it's an emergency, I'm not allowed to call a room that late.
  • Frankie_Felinius
    Options
    Ahh. I see...
  • jennifer_417
    Options
    You know what blows my mind? Parents calling and asking to be connected to room ___ and then when I ask what the name on the room is they say "I don't know, my kid is at a birthday party there."

How in the FUDGE do you NOT KNOW the names of the people your CHILD is with????

Or they know just the first name. WHAT?!

Number 1. There is no way in hell I'm letting my kid go to a party at a hotel.
    Number 2. Even if I DID, I would know EVERY goddamned thing I could about the people hosting the party.

I can't imagine dropping my (mythical) kid off at a hotel for a bday party w/out knowing anything about the hosts.

• Frankie_Felinius
    Options
    I think I've told this before but here goes...(speaking of feeling a tiny bit responsible for something):

A guest calls and says there is a car with several young black dudes, just sitting in the parking lot. Now over the years here...I've realized something. Black people are not allowed to congregate in one area, they are not allowed to be loud, they are not allowed to have kids being wild in the pool, etc. I ALWAYS get calls when black kids are being wild in the pool...never white kids. I ALWAYS get complaints when there is a group of black people in the lot...never white people. You get the picture? White people will call and complain at the drop of the hat about black people doing things they don't like but I never get notified of white people doing the same things...and trust me...every color and kind of person does the same stupid shizz...only the black people get called out for it though. So when they say this, I ask if they are doing anything wrong. They people said no, just sitting in the car. I look out there, not thinking much of it. They could be waiting for someone, I don't know.

Fast forward maybe 15 minutes later, I get a call from a room saying they just had a group of young black dudes break into their room and rob them and steal their vehicle. I go up there and they are tied up/taped up etc. I get back downstairs after calling the cops and that car in the lot is gone. I think it was a drug mule couple and the people they were meeting showed up at the hotel to rob them...I don't think this was just a random incident...but that is besides the point.

I felt guilty. The couple in the room got roughed up a bit and I felt like if I would have called the cops earlier, it might not have happened. Then again, if I called the cops every time a white person complained about a black person or persons at the hotel...we'd see them every weekend.

So don't feel too guilty. Sometimes we make the wrong judgement call or mistake or oversight...shizz happens.
  • BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    I think I've told this before but here goes...(speaking of feeling a tiny bit responsible for something):

A guest calls and says there is a car with several young black dudes, just sitting in the parking lot. Now over the years here...I've realized something. Black people are not allowed to congregate in one area, they are not allowed to be loud, they are not allowed to have kids being wild in the pool, etc. I ALWAYS get calls when black kids are being wild in the pool...never white kids. I ALWAYS get complaints when there is a group of black people in the lot...never white people. You get the picture? White people will call and complain at the drop of the hat about black people doing things they don't like but I never get notified of white people doing the same things...and trust me...every color and kind of person does the same stupid shizz...only the black people get called out for it though. So when they say this, I ask if they are doing anything wrong. They people said no, just sitting in the car. I look out there, not thinking much of it. They could be waiting for someone, I don't know.

Fast forward maybe 15 minutes later, I get a call from a room saying they just had a group of young black dudes break into their room and rob them and steal their vehicle. I go up there and they are tied up/taped up etc. I get back downstairs after calling the cops and that car in the lot is gone. I think it was a drug mule couple and the people they were meeting showed up at the hotel to rob them...I don't think this was just a random incident...but that is besides the point.

I felt guilty. The couple in the room got roughed up a bit and I felt like if I would have called the cops earlier, it might not have happened. Then again, if I called the cops every time a white person complained about a black person or persons at the hotel...we'd see them every weekend.

So don't feel too guilty. Sometimes we make the wrong judgement call or mistake or oversight...shizz happens.

Honestly, I wouldn't let it trouble you too much. I would just offer them some ice and ask if they feel they require further medical attention.
    You can't be held accountable for problems caused by so many people crying 'wolf.'
    My question is, why can't people just politely ask others to control their children? Or mention that certain things they are doing make them feel threatened? Why can't people just be grown and handle things on their own by communicating with others?

How hard is it to say hello to someone and ask why they are loitering?
    I've walked up to people and asked them why they were loitering outside a bar when they could just as easily come inside and sit down where it is more comfortable. Their reply? 'We're smoking out here and we don't want to bother anyone with our cigarette smoke.' My response: This bar has a covered patio with pretty rope lights hanging outside. They have speakers and you can hear the music a bit better and sit down.

'Oh thank you I didn't know that! :smiley: '

BOOM! Problem fixed. Turns out they were a company group that had just moved to Midland together to work for Haliburton.

The ONLY other thing that has happened in a situation like that was they told me to mind my own effing business and then they left.

• jennifer_417
    Options

Yeah, you're right. All we can do is make our best judgement call at that moment. *shrug* It's not like I beat the guys up.

• jennifer_417
    Options
    Yeah, keyboard flirt was my read, too. I just wanted another opinion. I can be a bit lacking in social graces at times, so I thought maybe I missed something. Oh well! Thanks!

@jennifer_417 What are these 'social graces' you speak of?

@Frankie_Felinius I was never a fan of the lunches at school and reveled in bringing my lunch. However, this 'snack times' thing is something I have NEVER heard of. You got lunch and that was IT until you got home. They did offer free after school snacks on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday but those were the only days when after school stuff met. Even then it was fruits and veggies. I was a HUGE carrots and celery fan and freaked other kids out when I refused ranch dressing.
    Course I was a smurfing BEAN POLE growing up and probably needed the ranch....

I think social graces are those things that make people like you? Dunno, doesn't seem to be a particular gift that I possess...

Also, I've never been a beanpole, so I'm jealous of that, even if it was in the past. With the exception of my senior year of high school, I've NEVER been 'normal' weight.
  • BodyByBex
    Options
    Yeah, keyboard flirt was my read, too. I just wanted another opinion. I can be a bit lacking in social graces at times, so I thought maybe I missed something. Oh well! Thanks!

@jennifer_417 What are these 'social graces' you speak of?

@Frankie_Felinius I was never a fan of the lunches at school and reveled in bringing my lunch. However, this 'snack times' thing is something I have NEVER heard of. You got lunch and that was IT until you got home. They did offer free after school snacks on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday but those were the only days when after school stuff met. Even then it was fruits and veggies. I was a HUGE carrots and celery fan and freaked other kids out when I refused ranch dressing.
    Course I was a smurfing BEAN POLE growing up and probably needed the ranch....

I think social graces are those things that make people like you? Dunno, doesn't seem to be a particular gift that I possess...

Also, I've never been a beanpole, so I'm jealous of that, even if it was in the past. With the exception of my senior year of high school, I've NEVER been 'normal' weight.

In elementary I was always just barely above the underweight category.
    I hit about 4th grade and started 'developing' and then by 6th grade I was uhm...well I had 17 year old guys trying to ask me out on dates until they found out I was 12....
    In middle school I was well proportioned and very suspicious of boys(I was a 34DD in 8th grade :sweat: )
    In high school I was a wonderful 145-155 pounds and then my junior year I took weight training and hit 160-164 pounds and had awesome muscle definition and I could run with ease. I was Ms. Blowers favorite student because I was never afraid to push myself.
    But for some reason I always thought I was fat. I could see the beginning of some serious ab definition and my arms looked FABULOUS but I've always had big thighs and the whole 'boobs' thing... I got a lot of unwanted attention especially in choir classes.

No one messed with me in gym because they all saw what I could bench! :naughty:

• BodyByBex
    Options
    **********************************************************TMI WARNING***************************************************

Went to the doctor and had a women's exam and physical on the 6th where my doctor asked if my weight loss was intentional. She said so far, I'm doing everything right but she worries about women my age and weight loss so she wants me to check in with her when I hit 160 to see where my head is at.

During the papsmear she noticed a slight bacterial infection and she said it SHOULD clear up on it's own but she wanted a full STD panel just to be sure(if ANYTHING comes back positive look for Sergeant Sexy Pants in the obituaries :lol:).
    I had some abdominal pain during part of the exam, so when the blood panel comes back we'll see if I have an ultrasound in my future or not. :grimace:

Of course she wants to check my cholesterol(high cholesterol runs in my family) reminded me that I have a little less than 4 years before she wants me to get my first mammogram (yuck!) because breast cancer is so heavy in my family.

She has also ordered a full metabolic blood panel which I have never heard of and she has never asked for before so I am pretty nervous about it. She said it would give her an idea if she could help in any way with my weight loss.

Hopefully, everything comes back normal. Whenever I go to the doctor is the only time I ever REALLY just want to be normal.
  • Frankie_Felinius
    Options
    The hippie shrink I broke up with suggested the full metabolic blood panel too...
  • Frankie_Felinius
    Options
    Soooo....started off tonight with a smoke alarm going off! Not even 30 minutes into my shift the effin' thing goes off. At least it wasn't 2 or 3 in the morning like last time. And no, Foxy Fireman didn't come...AGAIN. Water leaked into a smoke alarm. Seriously? Why can't they set the system up where an alarm goes off at the DESK instead of the whole building??? It is deafening! People are panicking. All for a water logged smoke detector?? Sheesh...
  • Frankie_Felinius
    Options
    The kiddo and I made homemade scotchies today...aaaand I probably ate 7. Blarg.
  • BodyByBex
    Options
    The hippie shrink I broke up with suggested the full metabolic blood panel too...

@Frankie_Felinius This makes me even more nervous.... I love my doctor though. I trust her for the most part because she listens and takes what I have to say into account and answers my questions.

Soooo....started off tonight with a smoke alarm going off! Not even 30 minutes into my shift the effin' thing goes off. At least it wasn't 2 or 3 in the morning like last time. And no, Foxy Fireman didn't come...AGAIN. Water leaked into a smoke alarm. Seriously? Why can't they set the system up where an alarm goes off at the DESK instead of the whole building??? It is deafening! People are panicking. All for a water logged smoke detector?? Sheesh...

That is so not good. It would be nice if the fire alarm went off at the desk instead of everywhere but I imagine it goes off the way it does due to heavy sleepers.
  • BodyByBex
    Options
    The kiddo and I made homemade scotchies today...aaaand I probably ate 7. Blarg.

I had to Google. Now that I have seen them, they look DELICIOUS!
  • Frankie_Felinius
    Options
    They are...unfortunately. They have that salty sweet thang going on that I can't say no to!
  • Frankie_Felinius
    Options
    This night is draaaagggging. I've only been here 2 hours and it feels more like 6! Usually my shift flies by...
  • BodyByBex
    Options
    This night is draaaagggging. I've only been here 2 hours and it feels more like 6! Usually my shift flies by...

I know the feeling. I've done 9 out of my 12 calls for service already. Normally I try to drag them across my whole shift but tonight, nope.
    On top of that, I'm having some tummy discomfort, blood test worries(even though I'm probably normal), and a headache... :astonished:
  • Frankie_Felinius
    Options
    And I know THOSE feelings! My tum feels junky from all those scotchies before bed and my sinuses are jacked up...storming right now...which I enjoy but I get the sinus pressure everytime...
  • sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,244 Member
    Options
    It's 2 AM and I'm up. Can't figure that one out. After riding 83 miles with 5000 feet of climbing I should be zonked for about 10 hours. 4 hours of sleep and I'm up.