Welcome to Fun and Games! Many of the discussions in this category are games based on responding to the most recent comment. Please take a moment to refresh the page and make sure you are replying to the most recent comment to keep the game going!

The official nightshift thread....

Options

Replies

• feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    hamptontom wrote: »
    the more I learn, the more intimidated I get...there's a bit of a "layers of the onion" aspect to learning about food and fitness and such, for sure.

Yeah, very well put.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    All righty, let do this weekend thing!

@hamptontom -what works for me is to keep it simple. I don't limit any kinds of foods, I don't track macros, I just keep a calorie deficit.

Ok, guys, I really need to go to the gym in the morning, but I know I will be FRACKING TIRED. Help me????
  • sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,236 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in diets. The first three letters of "Diet" spell, "Die"! :smile: Eat sensible. Eat healthy. Exercise often. @jennifer_417 - That means "GET TO THE GYM!" :laugh:
  • hamptontom
    hamptontom Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    THERE SHE IS! i thought you were dead. :)
  • jennifer_417
    Options
    SHE LIVES! Lol!
  • hamptontom
    Options
    SHE LIVES! Lol!

...and this thread is all the better for it. :)

So if you're gonna be too tired to go in the morning, can you go before you hit the hay? Is that an option?

I know I'm probably the exception to the rule, but I LOVE going in the middle of the night....
  • jennifer_417
    Options
    I always liked going in the middle of the night, too! I have my gym bag all packed, so I can head straight there from work, it's just gathering the mental fortitude to actually do it!
  • hamptontom
    Options
    mine is sitting on the passenger seat - i'm TOTALLY there.

got some great news earlier tonight, and i'm celebrating by assassinating some calories!

(i'm also floating around 231 lbs. the past couple of days, and i WILL be in the 220's by Monday. i will NOT be denied.) :)
  • jennifer_417
    Options
    You will totally get there!
    What're you celebrating, if I can ask?
  • hamptontom
    Options
    found out that we ("we" being me and my 23 year old son, who's actually a pretty good roommate too) got our application approved for a house we looked at for rent earlier this week. We were both getting our hopes up after we'd looked at it, but I was trying to be realistic about it...it's a part of town where EVERYBODY wants to live, and there were two other applicants there when we were looking at it.

so that means that I don't have to spend a boatload of time this weekend continuing to look for a new place to live...I can hunker down and finish packing and throwing stuff out. :)
  • jennifer_417
    Options
    That's great news! Moving is a hassle under the best of circumstances, so I'm glad you got a place you're happy about!
  • hamptontom
    Options
    it's a HUGE relief...believe me, the actual act of moving is FAR preferable to me than LOOKING for a place. that's just painful and exhausting.
  • BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    So..here we go.

I went on a date on Thursday.

I met this guy Jason before, we worked at Lowe's together and he always offered to buy me lunch, which I declined but thought it was always kinda of sweet. He's about average in the looks department, not too stunning but not unattractive.
    He suggested we meet at the movie theater which is more like an event center, it has bowling, mini golf, a billiards room, and a bar. He says he will meet me there at 6:30pm on Thursday. Okay.
    I show up at about 6:20pm, and sit at the bar. NSV humble brag: I have SAVED calories for this date and I only went over goal by 11!
    Anyway, I set out to have 2 drinks on this date, 3 MAX. I order a vodka cranberry and commence waiting. I'm chatting with the bartender, talking to the other patrons, I glance at the clock and it is now 7pm. Uhm....am I getting stood up?! I shoot him a text, no response. The bartender, Ashley, feels bad and offers me a shot of tequila on the house. I said sure and started picking out which movie I was going to go see by myself.
    He FINALLY shows up at 7:15. Points off for being hella late.

He sits down, apologizes and says he got held up after class and then traffic was a mess. He goes to school IN DOWNTOWN AUSTIN and his class is over at 6pm and he honestly expected to be able to meet me in Bastrop by 6:30pm. It's a 30-45 minute drive into Austin ON A GOOD DAY! Points off for being a little dumb.

He orders a Bud Light and I make a noise of disgust because I do not like Bud Light and the bartender starts making fun because my first choice of beverage was going to be a slightly warm Shiner(Not my first choice but it was the best they had to offer and I'm picky about my beer).

I ask him a bit about school and he talks about how he's going into graphic design for video games and he has a mock interview scheduled for one of his classes with some executives from big gaming companies to get some pointers on getting a job and maybe be offered an internship. I ask him if he has a portfolio of his work to present and he looked at me all dumb struck. Points off for being REALLY dumb.
    He has not saved/kept track of ANY of his work from school or stuff he makes/designs for fun to present to a potential employer to demonstrate his skills.
    Now, I'm also trying to see his positive attributes. He seems driven, he seems respectful of my personal space, he is offering to pay for my drinks, he isn't talking bad about his ex, he is polite, and is doing okay making eye contact.
    I finish my first drink by 8-ish and order a second one and he offers to pay for it, I politely decline and then he offers to buy us a burger. You had me at burger. I'm totally down. We share a burger, all the while he is talking about his cats, his dog, a little about his son, and a little about his ex(I brought up the topic to see any potential red flags there).

As the 'bar' is closing down we close out our tabs and he walks me to my car. It's at about this point that I realize I've asked him about himself and he's told me, but not ONCE did he ask me a question about myself. It's as if he's not interested in me as an actual person. Then the compliments start falling out about how I look great, how losing weight must have been really difficult, and how funny and sweet I am, and then he asks me if I would like to follow him back to his place. Uhm...no.
    Then he suggests a second date maybe in a couple of weeks at the firing range. I said I would have to see what my schedule looks like and get back to him. He give me a hug, we part, and I open my car door and drive away.
    He finally replied to my text and I told him "You are a wonderful man. I'm really glad we met. I didn't feel the type of connection that I am looking for in a relationship." and I have had no further contact.

The whole experience left me feeling kind of empty I guess. I had to sit myself down and journal out some feelings because for a bit I felt like I just wasn't attracted to him physically and that's why I was saying no to the second date. The reality was, he just didn't interest me.
    I think I will just focus back on myself, my work, my home, and my family.

I've rearranged my bedroom and I'm definitely feeling some new perspective coming on and I may have FINALLY picked out a career for myself. Now for the education part.

ETA: TL;DR version: Went on a date, dude wasn't blowing me out of the water, went home and decided it's best for me to ignore the whole dating thing until a later time in my life.
  • jennifer_417
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Tbh, he sounds kind of...dopey. I think it was probably good for you to get out there, if for no other reason than to give yourself some perspective and work through some feels, but I think it's also great that you're taking time focus on your own life. That's enough to keep you plenty busy by itself!

Also, WHAT CAREER DID YOU PICK?! That's awesome!
  • Frankie_Felinius
    Frankie_Felinius Posts: 1,398 Member
    Options
    Hiya. I didn't die. Everything thing went fine...results in a few weeks. He said everything looked "pretty good"...which is oddly enough NOT what I wanted to hear...I wanted to know there is a reason for all my problems! Interesting tidbit...when I came out of anesthesia...I was clenching my jaw like a mothertrucker. What?! Even anesthesia doesn't relax my body completely? It doesn't suprise me, really...

Did I already mention my kiddo lost her first tooth? And SHE CAN READ!!!! I'm so proud of that child. We signed up to volunteer at the local food banks and she is super excited about that. (I am dreaaaaading it...I know it will be good for me but it is going to be quite painful and exhausting emotionally...)

Bought some new apron fabrics for practicing. I hit the clearance rack and got some hunting dog print for my fiance's grilling apron (he doesn't even hunt but we love bird dogs), cute girly French stuff print for my tater tot and a pretty pink, lime and grey paisley and rose print for whomever.

It is my Monday. I'm always sad and/or irritable on my Mondays. I don't hate my job, not by any means...I'm pretty spoiled here tbh, but I'm always down on those days. I know nobody LIKES Mondays (well, some people do) but is is normal to be so SAD on Mondays? I think today was probably a combo of Monday and impending TOM...I was pinning my pattern pieces to my fabric earlier and I guess the song I was listening to got me or something but I started crying! I don't really cry very often anymore, I used to alllllll the time so it kinda suprised me. I think I may have needed to get it out because I felt a bit better afterwards but still...sheesh...

• hamptontom
    Options
    Hiya. I didn't die. Everything thing went fine...results in a few weeks. He said everything looked "pretty good"...which is oddly enough NOT what I wanted to hear...I wanted to know there is a reason for all my problems! Interesting tidbit...when I came out of anesthesia...I was clenching my jaw like a mothertrucker. What?! Even anesthesia doesn't relax my body completely? It doesn't suprise me, really...

i apologize for not knowing the backstory, but...what's going on?
  • hamptontom
    Options
    @lilaclovebird - you definitely outclass this dude by several laps around the track. but, hey - you don't know how the story ends if you don't pick up the book.

somebody else started some sort of dating thread that's probably a page or so away from this one that I was venting on earlier, but the short version of said rant was: unfortunately, there's a lot of bottom feeders on my side of the gender fence, and they outnumber the dudes that would be worthy of you by a HUGE margin.

that said - good for you for giving yourself permission to get back on the horse and out into the world.

now...i said i was coming home, changing clothes and going to the gym. i've accomplished two of those three things...it's time to round out the trifecta. see you guys tomorrow. :)
  • BodyByBex
    Options

Did I already mention my kiddo lost her first tooth? And SHE CAN READ!!!! I'm so proud of that child. We signed up to volunteer at the local food banks and she is super excited about that. (I am dreaaaaading it...I know it will be good for me but it is going to be quite painful and exhausting emotionally...)

Bought some new apron fabrics for practicing. I hit the clearance rack and got some hunting dog print for my fiance's grilling apron (he doesn't even hunt but we love bird dogs), cute girly French stuff print for my tater tot and a pretty pink, lime and grey paisley and rose print for whomever.

It is my Monday. I'm always sad and/or irritable on my Mondays. I don't hate my job, not by any means...I'm pretty spoiled here tbh, but I'm always down on those days. I know nobody LIKES Mondays (well, some people do) but is is normal to be so SAD on Mondays? I think today was probably a combo of Monday and impending TOM...I was pinning my pattern pieces to my fabric earlier and I guess the song I was listening to got me or something but I started crying! I don't really cry very often anymore, I used to alllllll the time so it kinda suprised me. I think I may have needed to get it out because I felt a bit better afterwards but still...sheesh...

Glad all of your scoping went well but I'm also sad that you have no definitive reason for your digestive issues.

Do/Will you post pics of your aprons on instagram? If this something I should be getting into?

I find myself talking to my mom about how amazing your daughter is. She rolls her eyes at me. I think she might think it's weird that I don't want kids of my own but I enjoy hearing about and sharing the accomplishments that growing children go through.

I also have that "Monday" feeling today. I like what I do, it's a cushy position, really. I just wanna be at home doing whatever I want instead of here doing what I have to do.
  • BodyByBex
    Options
    Tbh, he sounds kind of...dopey. I think it was probably good for you to get out there, if for no other reason than to give yourself some perspective and work through some feels, but I think it's also great that you're taking time focus on your own life. That's enough to keep you plenty busy by itself!

Also, WHAT CAREER DID YOU PICK?! That's awesome!

I was avoiding it, because I don't like the idea of my actions ending someone's life but the world is strange and I just need to get over it or get some therapy to get over it.

I'm afraid to say/type it to anyone else atm because I want to start my education and at that point it's more 'final'. You know?
  • BodyByBex
    Options
    The way my body feels right now, I might actually murder someone if it meant I could have a 3 hour full body massage....