Welcome to Fun and Games! Many of the discussions in this category are games based on responding to the most recent comment. Please take a moment to refresh the page and make sure you are replying to the most recent comment to keep the game going!

The official nightshift thread....

Options

Replies

• hot4fitness2
    hot4fitness2 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Good evening. back to the night shifts after a 3 day weekend. Had to deal with staffing issues my 1st hour here On-call peeps turning off their phones so they don't get called in. Some nerve!
  • catb58
    catb58 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Was out on my mountain bike today. It was pretty cold at 37 degrees but it sure was fun. :-) Cost me some sleep though.

Coldest weather I've ridden in was 27 degrees when I started training for the LIVESTRONG Philly. Never again. It's got to be at least...32! LOL Layers are your friend when it's cold out there!!
  • LadyRN76
    LadyRN76 Posts: 4,275 Member
    Options
    Good evening. back to the night shifts after a 3 day weekend. Had to deal with staffing issues my 1st hour here On-call peeps turning off their phones so they don't get called in. Some nerve!

Ohhh..that just hacks me off to no end! You are "on call" for a reason... :angry:
  • sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,244 Member
    Options
    I've laid people off for that. You're getting paid to be on call. If you turn your phone off, you're basically stealing.
  • LadyRN76
    Options
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    Dang it! I just lost a dog to hear failure. We started treating it last week and it was doing great! Then tonight the heart started failing.
  • LadyRN76
    Options
    That's rough....Lasix for heart failure in canines?
  • trishtrish1
    trishtrish1 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    5 hours to go for me!!!!!!!!!! Long night - got about 3 hours sleep (interrupted) today - so tonight is kind of heck! :) Let's do it!
  • trishtrish1
    Options
    And a cold bike ride actually sounds GREAT! :)
  • trishtrish1
    Options
    Sorry to hear about the dog..... That would be tough. :(
  • LadyRN76
    edited October 2014
    Options
    4 hours to go....my eyes are already getting heavy and my walk got cancelled when they came by to tell us that a pack (herd?) (group?) of feral hogs are running loose in the streets.
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    LadyRN76 wrote: »
    That's rough....Lasix for heart failure in canines?

In this case, it was Lasix, Pimobendan and Enalapril. Radiographs show a cancer in the chest.
  • LadyRN76
    Options
    Had to look up pimobendan.
    Vasotec and lasix...we use them quite a bit.
  • catb58
    Options
    How sad about the dog. :(
  • catb58
    Options
    Feral hogs? Never heard of them running loose in a town. Is that a normal thing in your area?
  • LadyRN76
    Options
    Yes ma'am. They are a huge problem in our part of the state.
  • catb58
    Options
    Truly, that's fascinating. :smile: They had coyotes running wild by my sister's place in AZ and I've lived places where there were wild dogs, but never thought of hogs running feral.
  • LadyRN76
    edited October 2014
    Options
    They are dangerous and destroy lands, crops, and will kill. They don't care. They're beyond a nuisance at this point. We actually have "hog hunts" in several towns/counties where people travel in to kill them. We have coyotes and wild dogs as well.

That's what happens when you live in the middle of nowhere.. :laugh:
  • catb58
    Options
    I live in the sticks, but the main thing I see is herds of deer grazing in my back yard. One of the neighbors has a tree stand in the woods out behind my house where he can use his bow. We have a few opossums, skunks, foxes...but nothing like the hogs. I like the idea of the hog hunts. Do they give the meat to orphanages and such? That's what they do when the cull the herds of deer in the city where I work.
  • LadyRN76
    Options
    Most of the meat is inedible; unfortunately. I am grateful to hear there are areas still that have not been infested by them. We actually have businesses and and outfitters that all they do for a living is go to ranches and kill hogs.