Welcome to Fun and Games! Many of the discussions in this category are games based on responding to the most recent comment. Please take a moment to refresh the page and make sure you are replying to the most recent comment to keep the game going!

The official nightshift thread....

Options

Replies

• sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,244 Member
    Options
    Just what every owner wants, to have their dog that they just adopted turn out to be pregnant and need a 5 AM C-Section. See you guys in about an hour. :smile:
  • BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    @Frankie_Felinius You are not the first person to suggest this. In addition, I have been told I would make a great police officer, because I would be great with victims of trauma AND I was told I seem great with the human mind and should try to become a FBI profiler.

HELLO education out the wahzoo!

I don't know that I would like either of those things. However, my Uncle Raul, who is a parole officer in L.A., California said I should get a degree in psychology if I even remotely think I would be ANYWHERE in the law enforcement or public service fields because a degree in Criminal Justice only gets you so far and Psychology degrees are more what they are looking for nowadays.

Plus there really is a vast array of positions where a psychology degree would be beneficial. Even if it isn't specifically beneficial to me or if I decide I don't like it, I can always go back to school and get ANOTHER degree! :grin:
  • Frankie_Felinius
    Frankie_Felinius Posts: 1,398 Member
    Options
    I'll be interested to see where you eventually feel the most fulfilled. I can imagine you doing very well at many jobs that require a tricky combo of an analytical mind and a compassionate heart...psychologist, police officer, etc...with your mix of empathy, diplomacy, kindness, boldness, intelligence, curiosity. That strong empathy you have can be an asset to those professions...but can also be too much on someone like that. You seem like a super strong person though so I can't imagine the empathy being a detriment.
  • Frankie_Felinius
    Frankie_Felinius Posts: 1,398 Member
    Options
    Just what every owner wants, to have their dog that they just adopted turn out to be pregnant and need a 5 AM C-Section. See you guys in about an hour. :smile:

OMG. :o
  • BodyByBex
    Options
    I'll be interested to see where you eventually feel the most fulfilled. I can imagine you doing very well at many jobs that require a tricky combo of an analytical mind and a compassionate heart...psychologist, police officer, etc...with your mix of empathy, diplomacy, kindness, boldness, intelligence, curiosity. That strong empathy you have can be an asset to those professions...but can also be too much on someone like that. You seem like a super strong person though so I can't imagine the empathy being a detriment.

Well if I keep to my promise of logging my food for the rest of my life, I'll keep you posted. :wink:
  • bethanie0825
    bethanie0825 Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options

Omg! How'd that go!?
  • BodyByBex
    Options
    So I was SUPPOSED to work with that quirky coworker who thinks her doctor will give her a magic thyroid pill and the weight will fall off(never mind that she ate Officer Whitehead's WHOLE PIZZA and put the empty box back in the fridge one night, Little Caesar's, Large, Pepperoni and Sausage with Extra Cheese)... She called out sick today with another migraine.

Now, I've had migraines. I BELIEVE in the debilitating pain of a migraine. Trust me. I used to get them. Each person is different and once I figured out what caused mine, I got them to stop and have been in mild headache heaven ever since!

But to ONLY get them on Tuesdays when both of us is working is a BIG coincidence. Maybe if she got them on a Thursday once in a while. But she only calls in when we're doubled up on a Tuesday and no one has asked for it off yet, so it doesn't TECHNICALLY inconvenience anyone.

It still counts as a 'count' against your attendance and we're only allowed a certain number of counts in a 12 months period.

I'm pretty sure she's going to get written up for this call in though. :neutral:

But I am pretty happy I can fly solo tonight and totally chat it up with you peeps. :blush::heart:
  • BodyByBex
    Options
    Also, I think I might be coming down with a cold... ugh.. :weary:
  • BodyByBex
    Options
    Or....not chat with you peeps....
  • belimawr
    belimawr Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Doncha hate it when you have the free time and no one else does? ;)
  • belimawr
    Options
    So, my equals (supervisors) and managers can't wait for me to leave for my new location.

My subordinates? You know, the people I give orders and work to, who should in theory hate me even more? halfway through tonight one presents me with a cake that says "We'll Miss You" and a few gifts.
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    Well, the C-Section went well. We had two dead puppies and four live puppies. Mom and the puppies are doing well. The puppy from tonight, not so well. Had a ruptured intestine and we couldn't save that one. He went septic and died before we could get him fixed.
  • belimawr
    Options
    Dude, have I mentioned that I envy you not for your job, as much as I say I hate mine every night? ;)
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    It's all good. You save some, Lose some and some you help not to suffer. :smile: I prefer the save some, but some days you're the windshield and some days you're the bug. Tonight was my night to be the bug.
  • BodyByBex
    Options
    It's all good. You save some, Lose some and some you help not to suffer. :smile: I prefer the save some, but some days you're the windshield and some days you're the bug. Tonight was my night to be the bug.

You do what you can when you can.
    So..is sleep like the windshield wiper?
  • sufferlandrian
    Options

You do what you can when you can.
    So..is sleep like the windshield wiper?

LOL. :smile: I guess so. :smile:
  • bethanie0825
    bethanie0825 Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    I crashed super earlier last night and that will bite me later on tonight. @sufferlandrian I'm glad momma and the puppies that made it are doing well.

I hate being the bug.

Anyone else working with me the next couple nights?
  • belimawr
    edited November 2015
    Options
    "I ain't looking to work hard tonight. It's a holiday. I got family coming."

F*** you, then stay home. You came to work, I shouldn't be doing your job because you feel you have family I should do your job to make it easy for you.

Well, starting off the night ten minutes in and a foul mood.

Sometimes I wonder. I go through all this crap and stress at work. I lost over 100 pounds in thinking it'd make my life better, but this'll kill me young as well. So, I wonder what f*** was the point?

My mother told me find a new job. Yeah, I didn't have the money to finish college, I wonder what she thinks is out there for a college drop out that will lead to a half decent life.

Sorry folks... I just had to get it out.
  • hamptontom
    hamptontom Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    people say some truly stupid $h1t sometimes. and the worst part is, dude probably thought he was being funny.

a lot of times, man...i think the only way to get through the day is to just lower your expectations accordingly if you have to deal with any other mammal that walks upright. it's always nice to be pleasantly surprised when someone isn't an idiot, after all. :)

just for the record, though, i ain't looking to work hard tonight, either...but then again, i'm the only one here, so it's not really up to me. if something goes down, i don't have someone else to get my back.

but, hey - it could be worse, right? we could work for Wal-Mart.

• belimawr
    Options
    Dude, I have no problem if you slack off and don't try to push your work on others.

Where I have the problem is when those I work with push their work on me because
    1. They don't want to work.
    2. They know management will want me to answer for the work that doesn't get done. There's something behind this, which I can not say in a public forum, however. Well, I can, but it's not nice nor politically correct.